Quality of food?

Mapomp

First, I know food is so very subjective, what I like you may find repulsive, but in general.....  I'm looking at Panama Canal on (I think?) Mars.  We recently cruised Regent Splendor and Oceania Vista (for reference) and loved them both, for food and the ship.  From what I've been able to research, I think I'll love the ship, but I haven't been able to find much about the food or any sample menus.  And I'm unclear about how many specialty restaurants there are.  I have more questions, but I'll keep this to food related for now. 

Help?

Thanks!

MA

I can't offer you my first hand experience, our first Viking cruise doesn't start until Wednesday.

However, looking for similar inputs took me to the Preisman' who post extensively including menus.

https://www.thepreismans.com/venus_menus.htm

Hope this helps.  I plan to do a little Viking vs Oceania vs Seabourn comparison towards the end of our sailing.  We've sailed O and SB twice each within the past year.

Jon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mapomp said:

First, I know food is so very subjective, what I like you may find repulsive, but in general.....  I'm looking at Panama Canal on (I think?) Mars.  We recently cruised Regent Splendor and Oceania Vista (for reference) and loved them both, for food and the ship.  From what I've been able to research, I think I'll love the ship, but I haven't been able to find much about the food or any sample menus.  And I'm unclear about how many specialty restaurants there are.  I have more questions, but I'll keep this to food related for now. 

Help?

Thanks!

MA

We were on the Mars Panama Canal cruise. Food was fine…different people have different tastes. Sometimes all we wanted was a waffle (Mamsens), sometimes more exotic (Chef’s Table). We certainly never went away hungry! There is the World Cafe (a buffet that also has a Grill (good lobster tails), an Oriental area (good sushi) and everything else you would expect…my favorite-the gelato bar. The Restaurant serves more upscale servings; sit down service, menus are posted daily. The Library area has the early morning coffee/pastry bar. Mamsens has sandwiches, waffles, soup and a limited hot sandwich choice. The 2 speciality restaurants are the Chef’s Table, rotating International menus and Manfredis (Italian cuisine). The latter two and the Restaurant usually require reservations, depending on the passenger load. Tea is served most afternoons at 4:00. I.E., you will not starve on Viking!

52 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

The latter two and the Restaurant usually require reservations…

The Restaurant requires reservations?

how / when / where do we do so?

thanks,

Jon

The restaurant does NOT require reservations (did only during COVID). Manfredi's and Chef's Table do. Reservations can be made before the cruise based on your category (different categories get a specifc number of reservations), on board using the App or got to the restaurant station.

7 minutes ago, millybess said:

The Restaurant is first come, first served.  If you want to eat between 6-6:30, make sure you get there very early.  By 6:00 the line up is well past the elevators.

Thanks much.  

We booked specialties weeks ago but saw no provision for booking the Restaurant, it was quite shocking to see a post suggesting we could or should have done so.  

We will join the queue when we’re ready to dine, the process sounds very similar to what we experienced on O and Seabourn, which is perfectly fine for us.

Jon

23 minutes ago, formernuke said:

The restaurant does NOT require reservations (did only during COVID). Manfredi's and Chef's Table do. Reservations can be made before the cruise based on your category (different categories get a specifc number of reservations), on board using the App or got to the restaurant station.

On our Expedition ship this past summer reservations were required in the Restaurant, ‘tho you could just show up and and would have to wait a bit.

2 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Thanks much.  

We booked specialties weeks ago but saw no provision for booking the Restaurant, it was quite shocking to see a post suggesting we could or should have done so.  

We will join the queue when we’re ready to dine, the process sounds very similar to what we experienced on O and Seabourn, which is perfectly fine for us.

Jon

Actually, we found it quite enjoyable to join the queue.  It's a fun way to get to know others.

One time the line was so long, that the F&B Manager said some of us could go to Chef's Table.  Most stayed put.  

• Like 1

First, that link to thepreismans.com was fabulous. They went to a lot of effort for that!

Starting off by acknowledging that this is entirely subjective, I would describe Viking's food as "playing it safe". They would rather present food that (upscale) Americans are used to than take a chance. From thepreismans I think you could see that there was often one choice that had some spice / edge to it, but most were safely in the Continental Cuisine realm.

I have only sailed Viking once, admittedly, but this was also my sense of Viking in general. Everything about the ship was designed to be comfortable, rather than exciting or challenging. Nothing wrong with that; I'm just setting expectations. e.g. the musicians stayed within fairly predictable bounds. 

Don’t forget to check out the pool grill for lunch. Burgers made to order are great but also a wonderful ahi tuna grilled to order. And two versions of hot dogs. IYKYK. Also a salad bar similar to what’s offered at the World Cafe.

Bon voyage, jondfk!

Edited by May B
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, May B said:

Don’t forget to check out the pool grill for lunch. Burgers made to order are great but also a wonderful ahi tuna grilled to order. And two versions of hot dogs. IYKYK. Also a salad bar similar to what’s offered at the World Cafe.

Bon voyage, jondfk!

And an amazing cheese steak and chicken wings.  Very yummy and our first go to when we board.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, May B said:

Bon voyage, jondfk!

Absolutely right. I forgot this…a favorite place for lunch!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ropomo said:

As referenced above, and to clarify, only EXPEDITION ships require reservations in the restaurant.

I agree, we can never say this too often, when the topic of dinners is discussed.

Before our Octantis in summer of 2022, I don’t think I had eaten more than one dinner at a buffet on a cruise ship, and that was b/c we wanted to go out to Tivoli Gardens after dinner. On Octantis, we dined twice in Manfredi’s, I think only twice in The Restaurant, and the other four at the World Cafe. After I got over the hurdle, I found, as do many Viking cruisers, that I could have a fine dinner at the World Cafe, and not feel deprived of good service.

We also on occasion get some cold seafood at the WC to go with our own private happy hour. Best location is by the pool! Second best, aft outside.

I would also be remiss if I didn’t tell you how much we enjoyed the fish at The Restaurant. Mr. B had halibut three times, snapper once and Chilean sea bass once. I had Dover sole and many other wonderful things.

We were extremely happy with our food, and the service, on the ship. Except the first night’s wait staff at The Restaurant. We avoided them, very easily, after that. Luckily the team we got on the second night was outstanding!

Edited by May B
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 6:42 AM, jondfk said:

Hope this helps.  I plan to do a little Viking vs Oceania vs Seabourn comparison towards the end of our sailing.  We've sailed O and SB twice each within the past year.

Jon

I look forward to your impression Jon. 
We always enjoyed our meals on Viking. The service and the variety were usually extremely good. 
I think I would agree with FoggyEthan on his summary of ‘safe’ in most venues, however Chefs Table does pick it up in creativity. We truly had no complaints about the food. 
Our first cruise on Seabourn was last Spring. We felt that the cuisine and presentation was better, so I will be interested in your thoughts. Enjoy Viking. It’s a great line to sail on. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 6:42 AM, jondfk said:

I'm looking forward to seeing your comparison. Although I'm not drawn to Seabourn because of the more formal feel, I've been looking into Oceania for one of their Japan-intensive itineraries. These types of itineraries appeal to me quite a lot, and unfortunately Viking doesn't really do them except a few limited places like Norway. Which explains my upcoming 3 week itinerary with 11 unique Norwegian ports, 2 being overnights.

My frustration with Oceania was the stateroom quality, especially the tiny bathrooms and showers and lack of even a loveseat or comfortable chairs to sit on in many rooms, even the low-end suites. But I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice this.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2024 at 1:23 PM, Mapomp said:

Help?

Thanks!

MA

We have been lucky enough to sail on Regent  Oceania, Silver Sea and Seabourn ....there is in many ways a wider choice of food on Viking and personally i like Main Dining Room for Breakfast and some Dinners ...but prefer World Cafe for lunch ...Dinner varies greatly both in terms of whats offered and how its cooked...my choice for dinner would be World Cafe but other half insists on MDR although the sound levels at Dinner is very high and  when one of you relies on hearing aids makes conversation extremely difficult ...we always go for 6pm  but find it amusing that desserts are never served before 7pm .

I honestly think all the above lines are subjective food wise but what i do like about Viking is the open sandwiches offered at the coffee bar on Deck 1 ...but we much prefer the overall cruise experience on Regent other than a recent BCN to Cape Town on Voyager 

Edited by phillipahain

7 hours ago, phillipahain said:

We have been lucky enough to sail on Regent  Oceania, Silver Sea and Seabourn ....there is in many ways a wider choice of food on Viking and personally i like Main Dining Room for Breakfast and some Dinners ...but prefer World Cafe for lunch ...Dinner varies greatly both in terms of whats offered and how its cooked...my choice for dinner would be World Cafe but other half insists on MDR although the sound levels at Dinner is very high and  when one of you relies on hearing aids makes conversation extremely difficult ...we always go for 6pm  but find it amusing that desserts are never served before 7pm .

I honestly think all the above lines are subjective food wise but what i do like about Viking is the open sandwiches offered at the coffee bar on Deck 1 ...but we much prefer the overall cruise experience on Regent other than a recent BCN to Cape Town on Voyager 

Have cruised primarily on Oceania including past summer on new ship Vista but will be going soon on second Viking cruise. Food comparison — overall I would give Oceania a slight edge though last summer British Island cruise the night of the British menu was horrid—dry huge cold Yorkshire Pudding, tough roast beef and terrible sticky toffee pudding and spotted stick. Usually O desserts are wonderful. On Viking Iceland cruise the Iceland Menu I World Cafe was amazing. Oceania tea hour better (my personal opinion) Each cruise line has some misses and would agree with previous posts here. Mamsens for waffles soups and open face sandwiches Pool Grill for Ahi Tuna. Re staterooms Marina,Riviera Vista larger than O Rclass 670 passengers ships staterooms with small bathrooms but LOVE heated floors Viking. Also Viking ship areas easier to roam and feel more spacious. Also Viking spa though Vista spa and pool area looked great but too cold and windy to use on my cruise.  Itinerary for me is most important but I have developed negative view of NCL (which is Norwegian, Oceania and Regent) after recent treatment to cruisers booked for Middle East cruises when conflict broke out past cancellation penalties and vastly amended itineraries. Read Oceania board. 

• Like 1

Just chatted and asked about this. Seems that reservations start at 6 pm. Not crazy about having to make them. I can understand it for Manfredi's and Chef's table (which isn't on Expedition anyway).

Edited by OnTheJourney