Live Review Koningsdam Feb 17-March 23, 2024. Hawaii/Tahiti

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Homer88 said:

I was told they can’t record presenters for copyright reasons. Port talks- not an issue, I think.  Agree those would be nice on video.

I bet you’re right.  I remember after the pandemic - well still kind of during it but after the restart, I went to several lectures given by the Cruise Director.  I think I was on the Nieuw Statendam and they were all very good and felt very ‘professionally’ done so it made me think someone else created them (during the pandemic with nothing else to do) and maybe sold them to HAL but perhaps they are copyrighted or they made some kind of deal with HAL.  (In my mind a really smart unemployed HAL person created these lectures during the pandemic!)  Lectures USED to be re-broadcast and I think still are when they are presented by an on-board guest lecturer because the World Stage isn’t big enough to seat the entire ship of passengers.

There is a similar issue with the movies.  I went to a Cruise Director coffee one morning and asked about why there had been such a movie fiasco at the pool one night.  They were planning to show a football game (maybe a playoff) I think and for some reason - weather or the game didn’t go on as planned - and they announced during the day, and put it on the Navigator app, they would show a movie I wanted to see.  We waited and waited but they never bothered to tell us the movie wouldn’t be shown after all.  (I go back to an earlier comment about information sharing - and people being able to make better decisions with more information rather than less.)  It turned out it had to do with HAL’s contracts with whomever they get the movies from.  Apparently, it requires different licenses for what is shown on a big screen and what is on the TV in your stateroom and how many times it can be shown.

I too would enjoy being able to watch these lectures on my stateroom TV since I’m not big on their evening entertainment options.

Edited by TableGirl
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, TableGirl said:

I used to think the HIA package would be a waste of money for me (lightweight drinker) because if I had 15 drinks a day I’d be passed out all the time - or dead!  But, when they include milkshakes, specialty teas and coffees, hot cocoa, bottled water, bubbly water, fresh squeezed OJ, and smoothies and sodas, then I’m sold!

Actually true. I love my morning latte and after dinner specialty coffee. It does give you freedom to get what you want.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Are you sure about the milkshakes?  There is much debate about that on a different thread I keep an eye on.

that is what I heard from somewhere that you could get the gelato shakes included if you ordered at the Dive In or something really convoluted like that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ljgordon54 said:

that is what I heard from somewhere that you could get the gelato shakes included if you ordered at the Dive In or something really convoluted like that. 

I posted that as we are currently on this cruise and when I ordered a milkshake at the Dive In with our burger the milkshake was included in HIA.  If we order it at Gelato it isn’t.  Doesn’t make sense but that’s how it is on this cruise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Feedback from the St Pattys bar crawl was that it was great fun. This came from “my girls” who make their own fun anywhere, but the videos looked happening. As far as the benefit, I think @Haljo1935 said it best, just compadre and something different to do.      

I closed BBkings again last night. Don’t be impressed. It isn't a monumental accomplishment given the band ended at 10:45. But still, a close is a close. 

The St Pattys day party was fun, but would have been much better attended had it been outside in the lido (just my opinion). You cannot have the same vibe when you spread people across multiple venues. But the temp was more comfortable and I’m sure many of those on board appreciated that. 

Today tai chi was cancelled because the instructor is sick. For those wondering, yes, covid is onboard. Could be 5 cases, could be more, i have no way of telling other than speaking with people who have come out of isolation. I do hope  everyone sailing knows the risk of sickness spreading in crowds. Covid is likely onboard every cruise ship sailing today. If you are concerned about covid, or have significant comorbidities, you maybe better served to select a vacation that is less densely populated as fellow passengers continue to misbehave. Covid is here to stay, and the more people, the more spread.  Just a fact of life. I spend most of my time outdoors (including eating outdoors). I avoid elevators, MDR,  crowded shows, and lines since Interior venues are where the majority of air borne viruses spread.  I do have greater exposure at BBkings but a girls gotta dance. 

For giggles I’m including snippets of todays planner. Keep in mind most of the

activities are repeated frequently. How often can someone get a foot analysis or buy an inch of gold? I’ve highlighted my activities and it’s pretty much been exactly the same every sea day.  

I suggest finding your people early. I hang in the same playpen daily and get visitors often. That leads to lots of chit chat and endless laughs. Without my people, I’d be on my 72nd book by now. As it stands I’ve read one. 

0EF4E9EF-8176-4609-9670-1F23A4619C57.jpeg

99F69AA2-405F-4FE7-95CE-AA8D8CEBCBDA.jpeg

3CC55E5A-5A53-4023-A4BA-A58B4D682A90.jpeg

27DFA5A3-85FA-48BC-8B24-226A09DC940E.jpeg

B38CDDF0-6B33-4109-803B-B21D7F99163D.jpeg

8A14CD0D-A91D-4C78-BB6E-07B4315CA33E.png

A599F890-24C8-4811-A585-9E4845FDD7E6.jpeg

6E93CD60-78AA-44BD-9AD0-258495573140.jpeg

3FF985EA-32A3-45CA-85BA-5F4EB986B3B5.png

C116EB16-6B0C-47E3-BCFB-B590A3DE3869.jpeg

7A23907B-9A04-4809-8F73-0CA4E1829684.jpeg

E9B0641D-9F7F-4432-93D6-8A6995FCF464.jpeg

B3031BBF-CFA3-4AFA-8D48-BB7D1B9F6222.jpeg

0295306C-3C08-4E50-BB65-0C963B88B668.jpeg

B1D4D479-694C-45BA-A10F-45B05EDF1105.jpeg

6BC02151-D9C8-4276-8D16-926E2EAFB0C6.jpeg

08E45AE4-0D0E-4ED7-B5E9-3C92B64576CF.jpeg

CB29CC8F-F2BE-4F65-B36E-F9F0FB84A571.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We too, hung out on deck ten last year... often playing cards, drinking, mex train, drinking, chatting, drinking, enjoying the views, while drinking. Usually at a table near the Panorama bar.  By chance have you met a server named Lee?  She was so great... would literally have our drinks on the table when she saw us coming!

• Like 2

I am loving your daily posts.  You have such wit and humor and tell it like it is in a nice way.  It’s fun to see what’s happening on your many sea days as we have booked the 28 day Coral Triangle cruise next January and will have many sea days.  It looks as though I’ll have to bring my good humor as well because there’s not a lot to do that doesn’t bring more money into Holland’s coffers.  What I am contributing towards the booking of my cruise is enough, thank you.  I don’t need more jewelry or watches and my feet don’t need to be evaluated. Drawing from doodles twice today?  Is doodling really that popular?  I’m glad your cruise is such a great one.  We have done these ports before and thank you for taking us down memory lane.  I hope we cruise together some day.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

For giggles I’m including snippets of todays planner. Keep in mind most of the

activities are repeated frequently. How often can someone get a foot analysis or buy an inch of gold? I’ve highlighted my activities and it’s pretty much been exactly the same every sea day.

Could you share what "permission to dance" is about? Thanks!

On 3/16/2024 at 3:29 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

The Asian station grills fresh for you exactly the vegetables and protein you want. I eat that pretty frequently.

This sounds like exactly what I would like! I may have to negotiate with my husband on this type of dining. Or go by myself like you 😀

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TableGirl said:

I used to think the HIA package would be a waste of money for me (lightweight drinker) because if I had 15 drinks a day I’d be passed out all the time - or dead!  But, when they include milkshakes, specialty teas and coffees, hot cocoa, bottled water, bubbly water, fresh squeezed OJ, and smoothies and sodas, then I’m sold!

Right there with you.  Our latest cruise was the first time we did HIA and it was such a blessing!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ljgordon54 said:

I posted that as we are currently on this cruise and when I ordered a milkshake at the Dive In with our burger the milkshake was included in HIA.  If we order it at Gelato it isn’t.  Doesn’t make sense but that’s how it is on this cruise. 

• Like 3

On 3/18/2024 at 10:25 AM, julia said:

We too, hung out on deck ten last year... often playing cards, drinking, mex train, drinking, chatting, drinking, enjoying the views, while drinking. Usually at a table near the Panorama bar.  By chance have you met a server named Lee?  She was so great... would literally have our drinks on the table when she saw us coming!

I have not met Lee. I tend to sit in the same spots so I’ve really only gotten close with 4 servers. My guy here at ‘the playpen’ keeps my Arnold palmers coming all day with lots of ice. And Faye gives me my coffee every morning with her delightful smile.  The service onboard is truly exceptional.

• Like 4

On 3/18/2024 at 10:44 AM, Riversedge said:

I am loving your daily posts.  You have such wit and humor and tell it like it is in a nice way.  It’s fun to see what’s happening on your many sea days as we have booked the 28 day Coral Triangle cruise next January and will have many sea days.  It looks as though I’ll have to bring my good humor as well because there’s not a lot to do that doesn’t bring more money into Holland’s coffers.  What I am contributing towards the booking of my cruise is enough, thank you.  I don’t need more jewelry or watches and my feet don’t need to be evaluated. Drawing from doodles twice today?  Is doodling really that popular?  I’m glad your cruise is such a great one.  We have done these ports before and thank you for taking us down memory lane.  I hope we cruise together some day.  

Awe shucks, thank you! I hope to sail with you someday too :). 

You are correct about the activities schedule. Doodling is better than the Dam Dots they have twice a day. It’s literally connect the numbered dots on a sheet of paper 🤣. I think many people go for socializing but these activities are definitely low budget. I mean seriously, how many Dam feet are on this cruise to warrant foot analysis multiple times a day? 🤣😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, bajae said:

Could you share what "permission to dance" is about? Thanks!

It’s line dancing class with Grant. Closest thing they have to aerobic exercise without an additional cost. Great fun! Highly recommend it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 3/18/2024 at 10:52 AM, GTVCRUISER said:

5 more days and I will be coming onboard , waiting in San Diego 🙂 

HA!! You seem like a super fun guy that can take a joke, so please take this in the joking spirit it was intended and STHU; I still have 4 days on this gal 🤣😃🤣😃🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

23 hours ago, Greysandy said:

This sounds like exactly what I would like! I may have to negotiate with my husband on this type of dining. Or go by myself like you 😀

Either are great options! After 35 days there are lots of people following me to the “dark side” of the lido. 

The food is getting a bit much for me. One must get creative if you want variety. I suppose that’s to be expected on a 35 night cruise. For dinner last night I had a bowl of yummy cut up fruit. I just can’t eat like I used to without gaining weight. I’m happy to report that after 31 days all my clothes still fit so that’s a huge win considering I live in my bathing suit while on Maui.

• Like 3