Live Review Koningsdam Feb 17-March 23, 2024. Hawaii/Tahiti

I have really enjoyed following this thread. Thanks to all who contributed. 
We will

be doing this cruise next year. After reading the challenging disembark I am rethinking my plan to book a 12:15pm flight. Do you think this is cutting it too close??

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Maybe I should pay more attention to reviews of ships returning to San Diego, but is this typical for the Koningsdam when there are other ships in port?  Leaving late in the day on a cross country flight makes a miserable day.

• Like 1

When we flew out I took this photo at 7:05pm from our plane.  Disney gone but Koningsdam still there.  

We were in no hurry to get off the ship as we had a 5:00 flight which was delayed of course.  We never heard our colour called just ones for disembarkation.  So we wandered down & it was still a zoo & one of the officers said if we had a late flight come down in another 30-45 minutes so we did.  The line moved fast then.  

IMG_4397.jpeg

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

She pulled away from the pier at 10:30. Photos aren’t so good due to glare (and a we bit o wine).

I sincerely hope everyone on this weeks 7day trip has a great time (although I don’t know how I’ll ever do a 7 day trip again, 35 wasn’t enough for me)

91AA118B-A846-46DB-BD7D-C141A564D9F4.jpeg

613EED2A-0031-4534-8221-DA0CC1BE4C65.jpeg

72A947CA-CAF0-4AF2-948C-6454B828294A.jpeg

80E522AE-F9E8-4AE2-9056-E0E35847581F.jpeg

B887F542-7144-4531-BD56-46FD9292802C.jpeg

E3F349F9-3E40-477C-96FE-1D0600FF4BDF.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

@BermudaBound2014 Thank you so much for your well written and fun trip report!

I've stayed at the Manchester Hyatt twice and loved the views of the bay and city.  Great late sail away pictures!

I'm guessing you will be able to sleep very well tonight after a crazy day and the wee bit of wine!!

😉

~Nancy

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

For one thing, i was never once asked for my disembarkation color. The lines for immigration

started at the forward elevators, snaked back to the atrium, did a 90 degree turn and wound up in the theatre.

You were lucky.  When we went down we first walked to the middle elevators.  The line was past the atrium and we got in just after Rudi's.  It went all the way into the dining room, turned around and then all the way back down deck 2 to the theater.  As we were coming down towards the theater, the line had grown all the way down to Billboard.  It moved but was still frustrating as clearly people were trying to get into line wherever they could and not everyone followed directions.  There were many people in line with their rolling carryons.  People on scooters were having a rough time because there really wasn't enough room for two lines plus people just trying to walk through.  

The good news was, that in spite of everything, we made our flight and are all home safely.  It was a wonderful trip and I totally agree that a 7 day cruise will be a very strange feeling.  Good thing my next one is 13 nights.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

How did they assign disembarkation colors (times)?  Did all of the self assist people get the early times?  Did Club Orange, 4 or 5 Star Mariners get priority.  I’m looking at a trip in the fall when a Princess ship is also in port but only for a port stop.  I’m looking to schedule a flight at 11:51 am and this report has me somewhat concerned.

TIA

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

How did they assign disembarkation colors (times)?  Did all of the self assist people get the early times?  Did Club Orange, 4 or 5 Star Mariners get priority

We got in line for immigartion.customs at 8:15 (designated time) and were back in our room before 9:00. I can't imagine HA trying to check colors for the Immigration/customs line. Yes, it was very long but it moved fast. Saw several people complaining along the way, but most were pretty much just going through the motions and chatting with folks in line which passed the time.

After we picked up of carry on luggage in the room and walked off with no wait. Luggage was waiting in the tent (we were Red Group 3), took the HA transfer bus (never checked the ticket we purchased) to the airport, maybe 20 minute ride. Note - They did have transfer buses going to EITHER Terminal 1 or Terminal 2. Dropped off luggage outside the terminal (United) and were through aircraft security by 10:15.  1:00PM flight boarded at 12:15PM and the flight to IAD landed 23 minutes early.

Never saw anyone checking disembarkation colors or any priority for 4 or 5 Start, or Orange Club through the entire process.  I can't imagine the HA employees scanning your room card telling anyone with a sticker from customs that they couldn't get off.  Anyone could claim "self-assist", as that meant they didn't want luggage picked up outside your room. 

If one had an early flight I'd say, bad plan, roll the dice if you wish. This was our first cruise ever, and we found the whole experience EPIC. No complaints. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Your colored luggage tag indicates that you have purchased a bus transfer from the ship to the airport..

Yesterday's 

BLACK       

RED

GREEN

GRAY

BROWN

David

• Like 1

What an awesome trip report! I thoroughly enjoyed following along & living vicariously through those on the trip. You should all receive compensation from HAL as I’m certain the bookings for the 2025 & 2026 sailings soared as people read what a great time you were having. I truly hope to join in 2026. Would love to join in 2025 but we are getting a new puppy this fall and it will be too soon to leave her in February. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

@OBX2Maui Thanks for the info.  I’m assuming if you were doing self assist you could bring your luggage through the line and leave the ship directly.  Did you happen to notice if taxis or Ubers were readily available?

Customs/immigration came onboard our ship and they were located in the World Stage. Even if you were self-assist, they did not allow any luggage at all in the World Stage area, even small bags were not allowed (those were customs/immigration rules). You were to leave it everything in your cabin, and once you completed immigration/customs, you go back to your cabin, collect your luggage. Then proceed to the gangway where they scan your card, check you have the little sticker signifying you completed customs/immigration, and away you go. I never heard of, or saw any "line" at the actual debarkation gangway area.

BTW... the amount of time with a customs officer was also less than 5 seconds, kinda funny really.

Lot's taxi's out front, not sure about Uber. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you’re Canadian the time is longer.  US citizens had their line & others had a separate one.  We had to get our photos taken then moved along.  It was quick but our line was much longer.  

• Like 2

Yes, and to be clear... there was only one long line leading to World Stage. Once side, and half way down the World Stage stairs, non-US citizens formed a separate line just before the immigration/customs officers. Our Canadian friend exited from World Stage a few minutes after us. There was no separate line for actual ship debarkation.

• Like 1

@OBX2Maui I still admire that your first cruise was 35 nights!! Love the fearless commitment. I think you will find that the disembarkation process was pretty chaotic when compared to other cruises. You stated you waited 45 minutes to get thru immigration. That’s pretty much unheard of at other ports. Much of this was caused by the lack of physical space at the San Diego terminal, but imo Hal could have handled things better too.

I agree that by the time folks got to the disembarkation line it was too late to check colors. IMO that should have been done at the entrance to the immigration line (just past the library). If you got to that point before your color was called, one of the white coats could have easily sent you to the side in a nice chair in RSRR or Billboards to wait your turn.  Just my idea, maybe there are others, but I do know that compared to the two ships I disembarked last month (one holding 6,500 passengers and one holding 4,000 passengers), yesterdays process was significantly more disorganized and crowded even though the ship only held 2,500 passengers. 

The line snaking the entire length of the ship was difficult on those with physical mobilities too, not to mention extremely crowded and prime for passing along the corona virus that was onboard. I avoided lines the entire trip for a reason. hAL can do better. 

It sounds like we both had decent experiences because you were quite early in the process and I was quite late. My advice to others is to either line up first or wait things out patiently.

Also, there is double the luggage to manage on a 35 nights cruise. Double the workers needed and double the space to store it once off the ship. San Diego just isn’t built to handle that. 

We also agree that  the entire experience was EPIC! So epic I’m doing it again in both 2025 and 2026, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t areas where HAL can improve. IMO, yesterdays disembarkation is one of them. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

How did they assign disembarkation colors (times)?  Did all of the self assist people get the early times?  Did Club Orange, 4 or 5 Star Mariners get priority.  I’m looking at a trip in the fall when a Princess ship is also in port but only for a port stop.  I’m looking to schedule a flight at 11:51 am and this report has me somewhat concerned.

TIA

I feel pretty confident you will be fine for a noon flight, BUT you will have to be proactive. They put the color tags out 5 days before debarkation. I’d get there early to pick up the earliest self debarkation and then make sure you are in line first for immigration. You can not bring luggage to immigration (side note, i did see three people with carryons in line- this is another place HAL could improve and enforce the rules as these made it very difficult for wheelchairs).

Basically like every other cruise, if you have an early flight you need to be proactive but I’d book that flight if I didn’t plan to spend more time in San Diego. 

There were plenty of taxis inside the gates. Most headed to the airport. Cost I was quoted was $35 plus tip (but that was from my taxi driver that charged me $25 to go three blocks, I just didn’t want to drag my luggage and without the premium charge no cabs wanted the ride). Ubers must pick up outside the gates. Best to walk a bit down toward seaport village to give your Uber a hassle free pick up spot.  I just didn’t want to deal with my luggage and i already had a porter who could take me to the taxis (but not Ubers). Lazy I know. 

I think it should be a bit smoother for you since the Princess ship won’t be debarking luggage or dealing with immigration, but I hope one of the people who work at the port will comment in more detail for you.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning from a very sunny (but windy/chilly) San Diego. The club room breakfast here at the Hyatt reminded me of the lido with yummy omelets and chocolate croissants (among other things). I really need to stop eating.  

The views here are wonderful!! My friend arrives this afternoon. I have no idea what we are going to do but I suspect last nights bottle of wine won’t be the only casualty. 

For anyone familiar with San Diego, the back entrance to this hotel literally opens into seaport village. Any happy hour suggestions within walking distance? Bonus points for calamari. 

45F7A55E-9E8D-4238-8B16-502BA55CDE0D.jpeg

421C6988-5905-47E7-9F65-D9E63536A8C7.jpeg

9DBDD54B-6F7E-444F-8E92-50DC41CAFA9A.jpeg

• Like 8

I'm guessing most know this... but might be worth mentioning.  San Diego TSA security (Terminal 2) was odd... the TSA-Pre line at 10am had ONE agent working it AND also had Clear customers being injected into it. I swear the nearby regular line looked the same length and faster. Also, keep in mind flights board 30-45 minutes prior to scheduled departure. When you cut it close you need to factor that in. Curbside luggage checkin is a savior as well. 

As BermudaBound mentioned... the lines were harder for folks in wheel chairs (and walkers) and anyone more elderly for that matter. I can only hope that in 10-20 years I am as strong willed and determined as some people I met on this trip. We were inspired by them as much as anything.

• Like 2

@BermudaBound2014@OBX2Maui, Thanks for the help. I’ll need to sit down and figure out my options.  Not helping my situation is that I’m scheduled to return Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend and figuring out a last minute plan B would e tough.  There aren’t any more direct flights back to Detroit after 11:51 am and the afternoon flights with connections don’t get to Detroit until 1 in the morning.  Staying another day adds the cost of a hotel and a much more expensive flight on Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend.  This might be one of those situations were there isn’t a good answer. 

Thanks for the information 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canadianbear said:

If you’re Canadian the time is longer.  US citizens had their line & others had a separate one.  We had to get our photos taken then moved along.  It was quick but our line was much longer.  

@canadianbear, thank you for all the informative posts you made over the course of your cruise.  You too @BermudaBound2014; looking forward to meeting you next February.

Just to be clear on the self-assist disembarkation with HAL in San Diego:

1. about five days prior to disembarkation I will need to get a colour-coded tag for early self-assist disembarkation;

2. on disembarkation day, and paying attention to my colour-coded tag, leave all luggage in room and head to wherever CBP sets up shop;

3. clear CBP (probably a separate line for non-US citizens... CBP inspection sticker in hand;

4. return to room and pick up luggage;

5. make way to gangway, scan out and show CBP sticker, and off we go.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, J&Dhighdesert said:

I have disembarked several times in San Diego.  This past January the immigration was done in the terminal and the previous January is was done like yours.  It is so much easier in the terminal.  

So, the onboard CBP procedure is not necessarily what I may encounter?

• Like 2

d9704011, yes that is correct.  I  went down to the theater for passport check and no one was there.  Went back and got my luggage.  With there being only one elevator, finally caught it on the second opening.  I guess it’s up to customs on which procedure to use.  Before cameras came into use, we always had customs in the terminal.

I forgot to add earlier how much I enjoyed following along on your adventures.

• Like 2