Live Review Koningsdam Feb 17-March 23, 2024. Hawaii/Tahiti

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

@canadianbear, thank you for all the informative posts you made over the course of your cruise.  You too @BermudaBound2014; looking forward to meeting you next February.

Just to be clear on the self-assist disembarkation with HAL in San Diego:

1. about five days prior to disembarkation I will need to get a colour-coded tag for early self-assist disembarkation;

2. on disembarkation day, and paying attention to my colour-coded tag, leave all luggage in room and head to wherever CBP sets up shop;

3. clear CBP (probably a separate line for non-US citizens... CBP inspection sticker in hand;

4. return to room and pick up luggage;

5. make way to gangway, scan out and show CBP sticker, and off we go.

We were self assist on this cruise.   There were no color coded tags for self assist.   We were to go to immigration at 7:15/7:45 for self assist passengers only.    When we arrived at 7:05 there were already several hundred people in the line that was supposed to be for self assist.   True to form there were obviously passengers that didn’t think the rules applied to them.   At any rate we were able to get through immigration by 8:30 and had no trouble getting a taxi at the port.  We were at the airport car rental by 9:15.   So that was our experience. 

• Like 3

Self Assist guests do not receive nor require any colored luggage tags.

The terminal was occupied by the Disney Wonder yesterday and it will be the same on Saturday. The Zaandam will be down the block at Broadway.

A flight departing the airport after 11:30 am has not been an issue.

Taxi drivers line up at the pier starting at 6 am.  Uber/Lyft drivers show up when you contract with them.....and they seldom want to enter the traffic loop at the port.  Porters are not allowed out of the gate, so you may have to consider whether a taxi or ride-share is more convenient versus less costly if you have luggage or mobility issues.

David

Pre-Check and Clear lines are often longer...I'll take off my belt and separate my laptop at the other line instead.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

We had a RT Mexico cruise in November 23, sharing the day and terminal with a Disney ship.  Our embarkation alone in Feb on this trip was a breeze compared to Nov- where we stood in line, outside in the sun, for an hour at 2 pm. Debarkation was the same- customs on board in Main stage, because once you’re off the ship from where we dock, they can’t funnel people thru customs in the terminal. In Nov, customs didn’t start till 0730.  I was disappointed yesterday was 0805- but it does move quickly once started.  Customs told us they had a problem with internet- that’s why he looked at my passport picture, looked at me, and said, good to go.  
if possible, I will not use San Diego again- they really need a new port terminal!

• Like 5

I couldn’t agree more. We were sick with the same respiratory illness that hundreds on the ship were experiencing and searching for our bags in and around the covered area was very taxing. We’re late 70’s and very small so being shoved, walked on, hit and run over by luggage while searching wasn’t pleasant! We found 2 bags but couldn’t find the third after 3 rounds of checking in the chaos. A port attendant said she’d look but never came back. Thankfully, my husband found a contracted cruise line rep who was in the baggage area (completely unidentified except for a name badge that said Connie) and she said she’d search for us. About 15 minutes later she arrived with our bag which was about 300 ft away from the others in another colour category. We will not consider San Diego again for a embarkation or disembarkation point. San Diego City, you should be very ashamed of your cruise port facilities, if you can call them that.

• Like 4

On 3/22/2024 at 9:12 PM, julia said:

@BermudaBound2014....

Love your gratitude, love your attitude, and I so appreciate your postings from the past five weeks.  It took us several months to reflect and analyze the totality of our 2023 South Pacific cruise. The memories (and friendships) are now embedded in our hearts.  Perhaps we'll sail together in the future.... I certainly hope so!

They have a nickname for the cruisers that do the south pacific cruise repeaters..... Someone on here will know. 

• Like 2

As I have state before....the city of San Diego has more urgent needs than a cruise terminal.

We have thousands of homeless and mentally ill roaming the streets.

The city purchased a huge building at 101 Ash St. a few years ago downtown that is uninhabited and tangled in lawsuits. 

https://timesofsandiego.com/politics/2022/07/26/city-council-approves-legal-settlement-on-101-ash-street-civic-center-plaza/

The city has spent many millions of dollars in legal fees regarding prime land along Mission Bay called DeAnza Cove.  It has not been redeveloped as yet ten years later due to lack of funding.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/de-anza-cove-settlement-verdict-comes-today/2081364/

Other downtown vacant buildings are being vandalized.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fire-breaks-out-at-vacant-downtown-san-diego-building/ar-BB1k9Oed

Norwegian Cruise Line, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, no longer port in San Diego.

Disney Cruise Line has downsized from 50+ sailings to 20 in the next 18 months.

It is disheartening to me as I enjoy cruising and being helpful to others who do too.

David

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, riverrat said:

They have a nickname for the cruisers that do the south pacific cruise repeaters..... Someone on here will know. 

Would that be something like "The Polynesian Flu"?

~Nancy

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

As I have state before....the city of San Diego has more urgent needs than a cruise terminal.

Thats unfortunate. The cruise terminal should be treated like a business investment and income source. If the city is prioritizing the expenses cited over income sources, they missed a chapter in basic business and municipal operations.

We spent 2 days ahead of the cruise and saw first hand the examples you cited. Walking through downtown smelled awful in places and the smell of weed was prevalent even at 10am. We visited 2 CVS's that had locked up basic personal needs items for theft prevention. At one we waited for 10 minutes before we left as no one would open the locked shelf (just needed eye drops). We had planned to spend a few days after the cruise in San Diego. But after that experience, we canceled our hotel and changed to the earliest flight we could get the same day we docked. If we return we will definitely stay somewhere else.

Many cities are in similar situations, and ignore how they got to where they are.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

~Nancy

Down south we call them snowbirds when they fly here perhaps we should call the cruisers penguins 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, OBX2Maui said:

Thats unfortunate. The cruise terminal should be treated like a business investment and income source. If the city is prioritizing the expenses cited over income sources, they missed a chapter in basic business and municipal operations.

We spent 2 days ahead of the cruise and saw first hand the examples you cited. Walking through downtown smelled awful in places and the smell of weed was prevalent even at 10am. We visited 2 CVS's that had locked up basic personal needs items for theft prevention. At one we waited for 10 minutes before we left as no one would open the locked shelf (just needed eye drops). We had planned to spend a few days after the cruise in San Diego. But after that experience, we canceled our hotel and changed to the earliest flight we could get the same day we docked. If we return we will definitely stay somewhere else.

Many cities are in similar situations, and ignore how they got to where they are.

We sailed out of San Diego a few years ago on a Panama Canal cruise and had a great time leaving San Diego.  It was so nice just to walk across the street and board the ship.  We thought we would book another cruise out of San Diego, because it was easy and we enjoyed walking around town.  I guess things have changed.  I think we’ll just cancel our November cruise rather than fight the inadequate cruise infrastructure and a declining downtown area.

Thanks for the information 

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, oakridger said:

~Nancy

We have done two South Pacific cruises and got very sick both times with a bad cough that lasted for months.  Only area of the world that has happened.  It will not be a future itinerary for us.  

• Like 1

As to San Diego I stayed downtown at the Westgate last fall (2023) and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I felt comfortable walking to Little Italy and the harbor.  I did not feel comfortable walking to the Gaslamp quarter

last month I stayed near Shelter Island and had a wonderful time. We walked and walked in multiple directions never feeling unsafe 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

We have thousands of homeless and mentally ill roaming the streets.

The city purchased a huge building at 101 Ash St. a few years ago downtown that is uninhabited and tangled in lawsuits. 

https://timesofsandiego.com/politics/2022/07/26/city-council-approves-legal-settlement-on-101-ash-street-civic-center-plaza/

The city has spent many millions of dollars in legal fees regarding prime land along Mission Bay called DeAnza Cove.  It has not been redeveloped as yet ten years later due to lack of funding.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/de-anza-cove-settlement-verdict-comes-today/2081364/

Other downtown vacant buildings are being vandalized.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fire-breaks-out-at-vacant-downtown-san-diego-building/ar-BB1k9Oed

Norwegian Cruise Line, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, no longer port in San Diego.

Disney Cruise Line has downsized from 50+ sailings to 20 in the next 18 months.

It is disheartening to me as I enjoy cruising and being helpful to others who do too.

David

I hear you.

However as a visitor from overseas, the poor infrastructure coupled with a very poor attitude displayed by some employees/contractors at the port speaks volumes. Cruises and cruise passengers are not wanted by San Diego.

I hear you and I will not return 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I just said goodbye to my dear friend as she must make the long trek back to Northern California to report to work in the morning. It’s been a whirlwind few days. Have I mentioned how much I love retirement? Retiring in my early 50s was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Highly recommend. 

We stayed at the Hyatt Manchester. Literally attached to seaport village. They do an amazing breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the club suite rooms- I highly recommend the upgrade for  both the chow and views. 

Sunday was rainy and downright cold. Monday and today have brought bright blue skies but temps in the mid 60s. Light jacket weather for sure and it’s a good thing the pool is heated.

We were going to do the Hop on hop off trolley, but everything in San Diego is pretty close and I really wanted to walk since I’ve been eating so much. 30k steps later we explored little Italy. We also walked to the gas lamp district for drinks and taco Tuesday :). We managed a harbor tour too. Time literally flew by!! 

I did witness my very first smash and grab. Technically it was just  a grab but pretty surreal for this midwesterner. The guy was quite polite explaining that he wasn’t planning to pay (he had a variety of grocery items from the CVS on Broadway and 4th street). The worker just let him pass. Someone asked if she was going to call the police and she explained that they don’t report if the person was non violent. She also explained that it happens daily and that she is instructed not to intervene. At the risk of sounding political, wth is happening to our big cities? San Diego is a lovely town, but I’m afraid visitors maybe quite shocked at the amount of homelessness and general disarray. 

In spite of that little reality check, I enjoyed my time here very much and think San Diego has much to offer the cruise community. As with all large city’s it is best to always be aware, but I’ll be back next year. Unafraid and absolutely unwilling to let a few jerks dull my sparkle :). 

With that, just a quick 6 hour flight and I’ll be in my happy place (Kapalua, Maui) tomorrow. All of Maui is nice, but for me Kapalua is home. There is a resounding level of spiritual energy in the Aina’,  and I look forward to laying my head down there tomorrow night. I can think of no better way to end this epic adventure than spending another   6 weeks on Maui. 

I promise that I have not forgotten your questions. Hubby arrives on Saturday so I should have several days to wrap up this review. In the meantime, here are some photos from San Diego…

CECCA543-4E89-4620-A3CF-A9BC8B090FD5.jpeg

84958ACA-2D4F-4A53-8514-B5AE08E3BA76.jpeg

3F4F37A2-17AD-46E8-AFDC-BA8BA9141953.jpeg

2D035388-5CF8-416E-B201-1D918ABBD5F3.jpeg

4E61C25E-0573-46B7-893C-67A65311BB26.jpeg

237E5D21-6E70-440C-BBA0-7EE6EB9B295E.jpeg

DC386AEE-8CE0-47AB-8F88-C377CB2A8387.jpeg

FF9A37A4-9F70-4145-B174-A7BEA47736CC.jpeg

8A2C4096-CF07-4EF3-AD24-823CE17052F2.jpeg

4A949D50-3A55-4F51-93A7-A96AB3F03B6E.jpeg

B5FE6023-5A52-4F93-A5E4-5F605CC5FA39.jpeg

F9828ED7-4DA6-4CA7-9166-1DC65804A3FA.jpeg

EDE5328F-EF0B-420E-A583-B6E1A6227A09.jpeg

28240D5A-66B2-48A1-8AC4-4CC1B258D49A.jpeg

3679DDAE-61C4-48C4-9512-AB24B632FF82.jpeg

82C5C58F-C8C3-4DFA-94C1-9ABAED682BF8.webp

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 4

BermudaBound2014 - Thanks for all your reports and beautiful pictures from the cruise and from San Diego. Have a good flight tomorrow and a great time in Kapalua. I love the seagull! Save travels. 😊

Betsy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not just San Diego...."smash and grab", looting, thefts, car break ins, assaults, robberies etc. are on the rise all over California.  San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, Orange County.....every day.

There are simply no consequences.  No bail means that even if you have been arrested you walk free in less than a few hours.

Repeat criminals are let go with a court date.

Unless a weapon has been displayed....it is no longer a crime to steal a purse.

Squatters cannot be evicted anymore.

Public transit rider numbers have decreased rapidly because of fear.

Law enforcement has their hands tied.

It seems as if since Covid, nobody does jail time anymore.

David

• Like 8

@DAllenTCY correct! It’s everywhere in California. Thanks to our illustrious politicians.

David, thanks for all of your help regarding the port of San Diego. I, for one, appreciate it! And if some people don’t want to come here, it just makes more room for me on the boat! 😀

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

@DAllenTCY correct! It’s everywhere in California. Thanks to our illustrious politicians.

David, thanks for all of your help regarding the port of San Diego. I, for one, appreciate it! And if some people don’t want to come here, it just makes more room for me on the boat! 😀

And it should drive the prices down until it gets to the point the cruise lines stop sailing from California 

1 minute ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

And it should drive the prices down until it gets to the point the cruise lines stop sailing from California 

Well, that’s always a possibility. In the meantime, I’m sailing from San Diego as often as possible. 🙂

• Like 2

Sadly, smash and grabs are not isolated to California :(. Somehow we have lost our way.

I will continue to sail out of San Diego as long as there are itineraries I want to sail on. One day of disorganization was insignificant in the grand scheme of things. San Diego as a city offers a lot. We walked our tails off in the tourist areas the last 4 days and never once felt unsafe. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Sadly, smash and grabs are not isolated to California :(. Somehow we have lost our way.

I will continue to sail out of San Diego as long as there are itineraries I want to sail on. One day of disorganization was insignificant in the grand scheme of things. San Diego as a city offers a lot. We walked our tails off in the tourist areas the last 4 days and never once felt unsafe. 

We have an issue here in Vancouver, Canada too.  Within blocks of the cruise port people have to be very cautious.

We love San Diego & will sail from there as it is an easy flight for us to get to.  We will just always make sure we pick a later flight like we did after the SP cruise.  Or next time maybe just stay overnight before flying home. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

We have an issue here in Vancouver, Canada too.  Within blocks of the cruise port people have to be very cautious.

We love San Diego & will sail from there as it is an easy flight for us to get to.  We will just always make sure we pick a later flight like we did after the SP cruise.  Or next time maybe just stay overnight before flying home. 

@canadianbear we made it to daughter’s in Vancouver.  Rained from northern CA to now, but looking forward to a pretty weekend and seeing the cherry blossoms.  This is such a beautiful area!  Glad you made it home safe too.  Our other daughter flies in on Friday, and we’ll head to Colorado on Monday. Our fun is continuing!

• Like 3