Live Review Koningsdam Feb 17-March 23, 2024. Hawaii/Tahiti

Posted (edited)

I am now two islands behind but let us just say that Moorea was exceptional and Fakarava exceeded my expectations.

Backing up to day 2 in Moorea- My friend knows a guy so we literally took a taxi and showed up at his house. He took the 5 of us out on his private boat for the most amazing snorkeling. Then we hung out at his private pool. The only snafu was our private taxi driver that didn’t show up for our return trip. These are the risks you take for big rewards :). We were prepared to make the 5 mile walk back into town when an angel taxi miraculously appeared and saved the day.  That’s twice travel karma has shined down upon me this trip. 

As fate would have it,  I now know a guy on Moorea and will plan a similar trip next year. In fact, I will be researching taking a ferry from Papeete to Moorea and spending one or two nights there instead of overnighting Papeete. Moorea is way more my vibe. If this interests you tag me in the 2025 roll call.

In other news, as mentioned, we have earned back our salt and pepper shakers. Ironically, we were granted the privilege of using tongs again a full day before the article about noro was published. Gotta love main stream media. 

I wish I could upload my GoPro video. We did a tow snorkel over 2 dozen eagle rays, snorkeled with more reef sharks, stingrays, turtles, and a he took us to an unbleached secret coral garden. Pictures don’t do the experience justice. Here are a few screenshots i grabbed from the videos…

Side note- the GoPro video I have of the coral garden is 15 minutes long and won’t transfer to my phone. Therefore I can’t share screen shots with you. I’ll figure out how to do that once I get to faster internet so those stunning photos will come later. With all the coral bleaching events taking place throughout the world this place brought back memories of snorkeling in the Caribbean 30 years ago. 

These guys were that close 🙂

003D86DA-984F-49F0-BA44-0E8BA8D45763.jpeg

9BDC6D1A-65F8-499A-8258-A885BC603282.jpeg

5E01E588-C119-4814-8708-CFEDF5D17472.jpeg

7837020A-22F2-40A8-8650-ABA947547A52.jpeg

Eagle rays

225FC987-7050-425A-8DFD-2A13AA42AC30.jpeg

360 Scenery

2D29A6ED-42A5-4155-87C2-F222154B2E81.jpeg

Dudes private pool 

3A3E76EA-2031-44CF-8D70-5AF1E45989D0.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I am now two islands behind but let us just say that Moorea was exceptional and Fakarava exceeded my expectations.

Backing up to day 2 in Moorea- My friend knows a guy so we literally took a taxi and showed up at his house. He took the 5 of us out on his private boat for the most amazing snorkeling. Then we hung out at his private pool. The only snafu was our private taxi driver that didn’t show up for our return trip. These are the risks you take for big rewards :). We were prepared to make the 5 mile walk back into town when an angel taxi miraculously appeared and saved the day.  That’s twice travel karma has shined down upon me this trip. 

As fate would have it,  I now know a guy on Moorea and will plan a similar trip next year. In fact, I will be researching taking a ferry from Papeete to Moorea and spending one or two nights there instead of overnighting Papeete. Moorea is way more my vibe. If this interests you tag me in the 2025 roll call.

In other news, as mentioned, we have earned back our salt and pepper shakers. Ironically, we were granted the privilege of using tongs again a full day before the article about noro was published. Gotta love main stream media. 

I wish I could upload my GoPro video. We did a tow snorkel over 2 dozen eagle rays, snorkeled with more reef sharks, stingrays, turtles, and a he took us to an unbleached secret coral garden. Pictures don’t do the experience justice. Here are a few screenshots i grabbed from the videos…

Side note- the GoPro video I have of the coral garden is 15 minutes long and won’t transfer to my phone. Therefore I can’t share screen shots with you. I’ll figure out how to do that once I get to faster internet so those stunning photos will come later. With all the coral bleaching events taking place throughout the world this place brought back memories of snorkeling in the Caribbean 30 years ago. 

These guys were that close 🙂

003D86DA-984F-49F0-BA44-0E8BA8D45763.jpeg

9BDC6D1A-65F8-499A-8258-A885BC603282.jpeg

5E01E588-C119-4814-8708-CFEDF5D17472.jpeg

7837020A-22F2-40A8-8650-ABA947547A52.jpeg

Eagle rays

225FC987-7050-425A-8DFD-2A13AA42AC30.jpeg

360 Scenery

2D29A6ED-42A5-4155-87C2-F222154B2E81.jpeg

Dudes private pool 

3A3E76EA-2031-44CF-8D70-5AF1E45989D0.jpeg

love the eagle rays!

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 11:25 PM, canadianbear said:

We also went to the Dutch Cafe (sea days are killing us with food 😂).  The pea soup & salad are so good. 

That must be some GOOD soup to be eating it in the tropics!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

That must be some GOOD soup to be eating it in the tropics!

Dutch Cafe is known for its pea soup!  The ac sure works too so I needed something warm 😁

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Lookie Lookie- lobster tail appeared at the lido again tonight and was accompanied by a side kick of her friend escargot. 

I ate a very lovely meal of 3 lobsters tails and one escargot outside; all while enjoying a warm breeze and watching a lovely sunset.

I know some of you enjoy the formality of the slow paced MDR experience being waited on (and I respect that), but this TomGirl much prefers the freedom of dining on my own schedule, eating at my own pace, enjoying food I have personally selected, all with a gentle sea breeze at my back. For me, immersing myself in the sounds and smells of the open ocean is a huge draw of cruising. 

6EB15CE5-E320-457C-940F-3161276BB865.jpeg

761894A7-A7D3-4F6E-BD37-8D53ED619329.jpeg

7018C27A-CA7F-4C1E-910F-93D9305F73EC.jpeg

1EEEFC71-E3BD-4FDE-8E76-3B583819CC38.jpeg

CDE6BFA4-7667-4F97-BC18-51B300C1CC4A.png

C9B5F4C6-680B-4D88-B19F-14EDB87269C1.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

@BermudaBound2014 thank you for sharing the Lido lobster news! We are on this cruise in 2025 and also prefer the Lido to the MDR for the same reasons you listed. My husband is looking forward to the lobster, me, not so much, but hey...

• Like 3

@BermudaBound2014 you should be in HAL PR! I just can’t wait. Is there an up charge of any kind for the nights you have lobster? I am so psyched about lobster and escargot! I can’t wait for the snorkeling. Your pics are great.

Have you spoken to SCUBA divers? Are they finding the diving out of the world or is it shallow enough that snorkeling is fine? I don’t know if we will be allowed due to age, but when we dived regularly we always wanted to go there but we couldn’t afford it. 

Janet

• Like 2

Still loving this trip report...minus the Noro...glad it is improving. 
now....about this lobster and escargot in the Lido...i am hoping this is a Pacific Ocean thing...albeit the lobster is most likely unlike our Maine lobster.....because we will be on the Noordam Pacific crossing next week and would love to see a similar menu in the Lido! 

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ljgordon54 said:

@BermudaBound2014 you should be in HAL PR! 

HaHa- I think I love you Janet :). 

I’m certainly no HAL cheerleader. I have zero loyalty to anything without its very own pulse and, at times, even that is questionable. 😉

With that, this been has been an exceptional cruise. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely!!! Are there people with legitimate grumbles, sure! IMO, This ship itself is one of my least favorite physically and the entertainment is some of the worst I’ve ever encountered (not counting BbKings who are single handedly saving my nightlife). 

However, even with its niggles, I’m sailing this itinerary again in 2025 because HaL has delivered what HAL does best. A fairly inexpensive trip (comparatively) with a fabulous itinerary.  I continue to be grateful every single moment. Perspective is underrated. 

We are currently in nuka hiva. This is a very slow tender port. They can only get one tender to the dock at a time. Guests must be able to climb stairs shoreside and there is no wheelchair access at all.

It’s currently a cluster tendering. Bbkings is a madhouse. We started tendering 1.5 hours ago and they have just called the first two groups. My guess is it will take 2-3 hours before tenders no longer require tickets and that’s when I will head down. In the meantime I’m lounging at an empty pool enjoying a cool breeze and margarita because while it’s 11:30 here it’s 5:30 back home so technically I’m late. I choose not to fight crowds as the only thing I have planned for today is to pick up some Tahitian oil. 

Side note- We got in late due to unsafe tendering conditions but we are staying an extra hour. That has added to the cluster downstairs but those on the 2025 cruise should know that tendering here is challenging. Might be a good port for a ship tour where you can get off first. As I mentioned before, between 4 and 5 stars plus all those who purchased priority thru club orange and suites, nearly 50% of the ship has priority (which means no one really has priority).  There are some very angry folks right now so please plan to bring your patience to this port.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Just to confirm about the tendering here, Mr Bear went down around 10:30.  What a zoo but thankfully, being 4*, his wait was minimal.  I decided to stay on the ship, grabbed a latte & library book & sitting on our port side balcony.   

We had an aft table in the MDR this morning & watched the crashing of the seas thinking the ship would not get in here.  Thankfully the Captain waited it out & people could get off.  It is 11:40 here & they are still calling tender tickets.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When everyone has priority, no one does is exactly correct! Even a ship tour has to yield to “priority”, I know cuz we have. I hate tender ports! I will plan not to need oil so maybe stay on! Let us know if it was worth the trouble going in to port, please. Janet

• Like 4

An early request, for sure, but wondering if anyone would like to share a taxi back to Best Western Yacht Harbor in San Diego- if you can walk off as soon as possible?  I plan to take my carry on suitcase, grab a taxi and then come back with the car to pick up DH and all the luggage (taking luggage home for our travel mates, MIL and SIL, so they have easy airline commute).

Thanks!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

HaHa- I think I love you Janet :). 

I’m certainly no HAL cheerleader. I have zero loyalty to anything without its very own pulse and, at times, even that is questionable. 😉

With that, this been has been an exceptional cruise. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely!!! Are there people with legitimate grumbles, sure! IMO, This ship itself is one of my least favorite physically and the entertainment is some of the worst I’ve ever encountered (not counting BbKings who are single handedly saving my nightlife). 

However, even with its niggles, I’m sailing this itinerary again in 2025 because HaL has delivered what HAL does best. A fairly inexpensive trip (comparatively) with a fabulous itinerary.  I continue to be grateful every single moment. Perspective is underrated. 

We are currently in nuka hiva. This is a very slow tender port. They can only get one tender to the dock at a time. Guests must be able to climb stairs shoreside and there is no wheelchair access at all.

It’s currently a cluster tendering. Bbkings is a madhouse. We started tendering 1.5 hours ago and they have just called the first two groups. My guess is it will take 2-3 hours before tenders no longer require tickets and that’s when I will head down. In the meantime I’m lounging at an empty pool enjoying a cool breeze and margarita because while it’s 11:30 here it’s 5:30 back home so technically I’m late. I choose not to fight crowds as the only thing I have planned for today is to pick up some Tahitian oil. 

Side note- We got in late due to unsafe tendering conditions but we are staying an extra hour. That has added to the cluster downstairs but those on the 2025 cruise should know that tendering here is challenging. Might be a good port for a ship tour where you can get off first. As I mentioned before, between 4 and 5 stars plus all those who purchased priority thru club orange and suites, nearly 50% of the ship has priority (which means no one really has priority).  There are some very angry folks right now so please plan to bring your patience to this port.

I look forward to meeting you next February. You keep an open mind and don’t let the relatively unimportant things get to you. Enjoy your trip back to SD!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

In the meantime I’m lounging at an empty pool enjoying a cool breeze and margarita

Perhaps the most rational post ever on CruiseCritic.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

56 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

It is 2:40 here now & they are still calling tender tickets.  
MrBear was back & we relaxed at aft pool & only a couple others on the pool.  Was wonderful.  

What did Mr. Bear do on the island?  Did he enjoy the visit enough to overlook the tendering hassle?  

I'm so happy reading how much you are enjoying this cruise after you had such a long cruise "drought" after the pandemic!  🙂

~Nancy

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, oakridger said:

What did Mr. Bear do on the island?  Did he enjoy the visit enough to overlook the tendering hassle?  

I'm so happy reading how much you are enjoying this cruise after you had such a long cruise "drought" after the pandemic!  🙂

~Nancy

Thanks Nancy!  Between the Eurodam in November and now this one, I hope MrBear is back in the saddle 😂

He just walked around, visited the Catholic Church etc. I’ll post a couple of photos he took.  He came back sweating as it was hot & humid out & we went for a swim in the aft pool.  So glad I stayed on the ship though.  

Being 4* and above you meet in the Half Moon room and get priority boarding so he had no issue at all.  Easy & quick.  It’s hard to believe that hundreds & hundreds had to wait for many, many hours to get a tender. 

IMG_6434.jpeg

IMG_6440.jpeg

IMG_6446.jpeg

IMG_6442.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

At 3:30 they finally announced open tendering.  Hmmm, last tender back is supposed to be 5:30 I believe.

We got our 4th star 2 wks ago but it doesn't help till the next cruise.  As soon as we saw the ship was heading in the bay we went down to BB King's and got a tender ticket Orange #3.  Think that was about 9am.  Our number was call around 10:30.  People were just receiving Orange #27 at that time.  When we returned to the ship at about 1:00 I heard them call Orange #27!  Couldn't believe it!

An ambulance was at the dock area as we were in line to return around 12:30, that delayed things .  A woman getting off the tender we returned on said she was on the tender for 1 hour!

Was prepared for this to be a difficult tender port, it was the last time for us and that was a bit smaller of a ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2