Whittier to Anchorage

scrollmaster

Wife & I arrive in Whittier on Princess this May 25 and depart from Whittier on Princess June 1 for Vancouver to start working our way back home to Louisiana. 

My question is does Princess provide transportation from Whittier to Anchorage and vice versa for return cruise?

Edited by scrollmaster
spelling

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  Sorry, I cannot answer your specific question but I'm sure someone will jump in here.  We've never done that particular portion of Alaska so have no first-hand experience.  Sounds like a great trip, though.

40 minutes ago, scrollmaster said:

Wife & I arrive in Whittier on Princess this May 25 and depart from Whittier on Princess plJune 1 for Vancouver to start working our way back home to Louisiana. 

My question is does Princess provide transportation from Whittier to Anchorage and vice versa for return cruise?

Yes, Princess has shuttles between Whittier and Anchorage, at cost.. usually a bus.

There's also train or private transfers available. 

There is a ports of call board here at Cruise Critic with an Alaska section where you can find helpful information for your cruise and there just happens to be a discussion on this very topic there right now. Here is the link:

Princess does provide transfers so long as the dates coincide with disembarkation and embarkation days of your cruise.  There used to be options to be dropped off/picked up at the Captain Cook Hotel and the Egan Center.  Not sure if these still exist.  For sure, drop off/pick up will be available at Anchorage Airport.

Another option would be to use Alaska Cruise Transportation (ACT) Big Bus.  Very reliable and cheaper than Princess transfers.  They also provide transfers in both directions on days where there are cruise ship arrivals/departures.

As of our May 2023 Alaska cruise, Princess still had motor coach transportation/transfer from Egan Center in Anchorage to Whittier the day of the cruise (cost at that time was $88 each).

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

Princess does provide transfers so long as the dates coincide with disembarkation and embarkation days of your cruise.  There used to be options to be dropped off/picked up at the Captain Cook Hotel and the Egan Center.  Not sure if these still exist.  For sure, drop off/pick up will be available at Anchorage Airport.

Another option would be to use Alaska Cruise Transportation (ACT) Big Bus.  Very reliable and cheaper than Princess transfers.  They also provide transfers in both directions on days where there are cruise ship arrivals/departures.

I’m sailing from Vancouver to Whittier on Princess in May.  I had the choice of a transfer to either the airport or downtown Anchorage.  Cost is $59.

• Like 1

We booked with Princess. We traveled to the airport from Whittier.  The bus ride was narrated well by the driver.  She had a lot to say and point out as we rode. $59 sounds right. Luggage was delivered to a baggage room at the airport.  We had to wait our turn - it’s a small room and they only allow a certain number at a time.

Since you have plenty of time, I’d take the Alaska Railroad. Yes, Princess does offer bus transport to/from, but the train is the most relaxing and scenic. If Princess offers the train, you can book it through them, but a lot of times they don’t. In that case, you can book directly through the Alaska Railroad. It has an ideal departure time for going to Whittier, but going from Whittier doesn’t happen til evening. In that case, it’s best to either just take the Princess bus to Anchorage and take the train back to Whittier, or do the 26 Glacier Cruise after disembarking, and then the train departs right after you return from that. 

9 hours ago, memoak said:

My question is why the gap between sailings. Are you on 2 different ships and what do you plan on doing in Anchorage for a week ?

We arrive in Whittier May 25 on the Royal Princess and will depart Whittier on Sapphire Princess June 01 and arrive Vancouver May 08. We catch train in Vancouver June 10 to Toronto working our way back home to Louisiana.

Between ships we were planning to maybe train to Denali for couple or three days and if time permits train for quick view of Fairbanks before train back for June 01 ship departure. We thought either taking tours around Denali or possibly renting vehicle there. My wife has family near Palmer we also would like to stop and see so we keeping this part of ttrip sorta loosely planned around them as well. 

Edited by scrollmaster
Clarification