Thermal Suite questions

We are sailing March 10, 2024 on the Nieuw Statendam as 2* Mariners. We are trying new things (for us) this cruise. One is Club Orange. The other is the Thermal Suite. My questions, so far are:

1. Do both persons in the stateroom have to purchase this?

2. Is the number of people that purchase this limited, as in Club Orange? 

3. Is it necessary to purchase before on-board?

4. What all is included in the pass? 
5. Is it necessary to purchase for the length of the cruise or are day passes available?

6. What can I expect and how can I best optimize the experience?

TIA for your expert advice. 

You can purchase for the full length or individual days. If you buy a day pass then decide you want the full cruise, they will credit you for the day you paid. You can see the price for your cruise when you're logged into your booking. No discount for pre-paying, so if you want to use OBC, you can buy onboard. Be sure you have your key card w/you when you sign up as they'll put a sticker on it. Both in a cabin do not have to purchase, but it cannot be shared. And no refunds. You can go multiple times/day.

Sometimes all the heated loungers are in use, but usually one opens up after using the pool.

There are saunas in the Thermal Spa for pass users only. There is also sauna outside the spa that does not require a pass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I think they offer a discount when two people in the same cabin sign up at the same time - a family or couples fee? At least that is what they did in the past.  But each person who uses the spa must have their own paid fee. The card cannot be traded around. 

My only addition is to take a comfortable "cover up" and easy slip-in shoes to go to and from the spa, if you don't want to change everything in the dressing rooms themselves. And then when done,  change back into your "street clothes".

Hate to raise the wearing the HAL bathrobe in public issues again, but that may not be the preferred cover-up choices for this public journey to and from the spa. 

However, I do wish they had a bathing suit "spin machine" in the dressing rooms to help speed its drying if you use the dressing rooms to change, instead going "wet" back to your own cabin. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

I think they offer a discount when two people in the same cabin sign up at the same time - a family or couples fee? At least that is what they did in the past.  But each person who uses the spa must have their own paid fee. The card cannot be traded around. 

My only addition is to take a comfortable "cover up" and easy slip-in shoes to go to and from the spa, if you don't want to change everything in the dressing rooms themselves. And then when done,  change back into your "street clothes".

Hate to raise the wearing the HAL bathrobe in public issues again, but that may not be the preferred cover-up choices for this public journey to and from the spa. 

However, I do wish they had a bathing suit "spin machine" in the dressing rooms to help speed its drying if you use the dressing rooms to change, instead going "wet" back to your own cabin. 

Can you provide more detail about why wearing the HAL bathrobe to/from the Thermal Spa is frowned upon? Is it the “wearing a bathrobe in public” or something else? Thank you in advance for elaborating. 

There have been on occasion a few people showing up and eating in the Lido with their robes.  When I have worn my robe to the pool over my swimsuit, I take the far end stairs or elevator up to the pool and avoid the Lido. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wakepatrol said:

Once you check into the spa, you get robe and slippers, walking to t-pool, tile loungers in robe is customary. Walking around the ship ina robe runs the risk of having a net thrown over you

DH was puzzled about “having a net thrown over you”. I had to explain the humor found here on CC.  😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

There have been on occasion a few people showing up and eating in the Lido with their robes.  When I have worn my robe to the pool over my swimsuit, I take the far end stairs or elevator up to the pool and avoid the Lido. 

Yeah, I saw a video tour of a ship on YouTube and in it there was a person in a bathrobe getting food in the Lido. Although I might be inclined to wear a robe up to the pool (I’ll be certain to walk stairs less traveled & will watch out for these nets y’all speak of), even I would know not to wear a bathrobe to the Lido. 

Edited by ORTravelGal
Typo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ORTravelGal said:

Yeah, I saw a video tour of a ship on YouTube and in it there was a person in a bathrobe getting food in the Lido. Although I might be inclined to wear a robe up to the pool (I’ll be certain to walk stairs less traveled & will watch out for these nets y’all speak of), even I would know not to wear a bathrobe to the Lido. 

IF there was a better place to change at the pool; especially aft, I would do it, but the bathrooms are very small back there.  

7 hours ago, cruisetravlr said:

Is it able to be used on day 1? It sounds so inviting and relaxing, which is a big reason for taking this cruise.
Excellent advice from all. Thank you so much! 

Typically the doors from the hydro pool to the Lido (on Vista and larger) are open during embarkation until they are done with the "Spa raffle".  I avoid that area until the spa raffle is done and the doors are closed.  That's the moment when the peace and quiet descends.

The loungers won't be as affected--but there will still be spa attendants taking passengers through on tours which might be disturbing, depending upon your tolerance for other humans (or, just, "humans," if you're a cylon/replicant/humunculus).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

I think they offer a discount when two people in the same cabin sign up at the same time - a family or couples fee? At least that is what they did in the past...

I have not seen the couples discount since the restart on Eurodam, K'dam, NA, NS or Westerdam.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Ditto. Those are very convenient and practical.

17 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

I think they offer a discount when two people in the same cabin sign up at the same time - a family or couples fee? At least that is what they did in the past.

That wasn't the way it worked, but that doesn't matter any longer. The extra charge for being a solo is no longer! It's all the same per person charge now. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

That wasn't the way it worked, but that doesn't matter any longer. The extra charge for being a solo is no longer! It's all the same per person charge now. 

Yes, that is the other way to look at this. Just like the discount you get if you don't choose your cabin, instead of the premium charge if you do.  🤭

On 2/18/2024 at 5:22 PM, julia said:

No

No, never crowded

No

The thermal suite: showers, t-pool, heated loungers

Day passes are available

Expect a quiet, relaxing adult area

I agree with everything, except "never crowded".  My recent cruise had a number of sea days and it was very, very crowded.  It defeats the purpose of a relaxing retreat that you have to race to to secure a seat.  And you'd be amazed how many adults do not know how to use inside voices....  That being said, YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cruisetravlr said:

Is it able to be used on day 1? It sounds so inviting and relaxing, which is a big reason for taking this cruise.
Excellent advice from all. Thank you so much! 

Yes, you can use on Day 1. Just ask the hours when you go to get your sticker. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ORTravelGal said:

Edited 11 hours ago by ORTravelGal

Sheesh, you'd think everyone would *know*!

You do NOT wear your bathrobe to any dining area.

Nope, NO bathrobe.

There's no place to hang it up, so just wear your pyjamas without the robe!

🤣

GC

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 2/19/2024 at 12:46 PM, Haljo1935 said:

I have not seen the couples discount since the restart on Eurodam, K'dam, NA, NS or Westerdam.

Came here to ask this! We're going on Eurodam in May, and I was wondering if I should just buy my Thermal Suite pass online in advance or if there is still a couples discount. Guess I'll just grab it now - thanks!

Also a potentially controversial opinion on robes: I am an early riser, and usually tiptoe off to the spa in my cabin bathrobe (with swimsuit underneath) at the very moment they are scheduled to open. I also bring a change of clothes, stashing everything in a locker when I arrive and, of course, changing into the Greenhouse robe and slippers. After a luxurious 45 minutes or so enjoying the thermal suite, I shower, dress for the day, and return to the cabin just in time for room service to arrive with our coffee. I have never had a net thrown over me for wearing my robe. Though I *do* use the forward elevators and try to avoid being seen as much as possible. 😇

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TMJplus1 said:

After a luxurious 45 minutes or so enjoying the thermal suite, I shower, dress for the day, and return to the cabin just in time for room service to arrive with our coffee. I have never had a net thrown over me for wearing my robe. Though I *do* use the forward elevators and try to avoid being seen as much as possible. 😇

What a great start to the day. Robe wearing in this scenario I would think would be acceptable.

17 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

What a great start to the day. Robe wearing in this scenario I would think would be acceptable.

@TMJplus1 I also use either the forward elevator or stairs, depending on cabin location, and go up in a robe covering swimsuit. Very occasionally gotten a "side eye" 👀on the elevator, but frequently am the only one in it and will continue my ritual until someone else picks up the tab, at which time I'll abide by their rules.🙄

Yes @FLCruiser97 I think it sets a great relaxing vibe for the day.

6 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Yes @FLCruiser97 I think it sets a great relaxing vibe for the day.

I have an opportunity to cash in some of my HAL credit card points for 10 days in the Thermal spa. I was contemplating whether I should go for it or not. I have been doing research on the Thermal spa to see if it's worth it. I have a 25-day TA so would have plenty of time to use it. Any thoughts?

16 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

I have an opportunity to cash in some of my HAL credit card points for 10 days in the Thermal spa. I was contemplating whether I should go for it or not. I have been doing research on the Thermal spa to see if it's worth it. I have a 25-day TA so would have plenty of time to use it. Any thoughts?

Oh my gosh, yes!! I posted quite a few pictures and comments about the thermal spa on both my LIVE HI Christmas and TA reviews. Those are the cruises I've done with the most sea days and the Thermal Spa was a major part of my cruise; I went multiple times/day on sea days and at least once/day on port days. I was also working through a shoulder thing and used it to help w/PT.

Saw whales a couple times during the HI cruise and in AK it's a great spot for watching glaciers. The sunsets are spectacular!

Happy to share any pictures or answers specific questions. 

Book now and enjoy!! The price isn't discounted, so you can buy onboard if you have OBC to use. You mentioned HAL CC points - I buy AARP gift cards to get the 10% discount then use that toward OBC so it's like getting 10% off the ThermalPass.

B87D9A1B-0B29-44EB-A6D3-221E108739D5.thumb.jpeg.385b24feab35b0a74ab690810516a08a.jpeg.f404eec6050e4259015f5474b9d79368.jpeg

20231225_133814.thumb.jpg.6b5bb41745c13bafcfd0867e30cddb5f.jpg

20240104_020335.thumb.jpg.169d8996e2cf25d1f75fe103b535216f.jpg

20231231_130058.thumb.jpg.99db15cf211e9adb52dc5fda7aea97ce.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 3