World Theatre Showtimes?

I'll admit that I don't read every "Live From" thread. (In my defense, HAL seems to have more of these than almost any other forum I follow.). But I was struck while reading along with the current Koningsdam voyage that showtimes for the World Theatre are 6:00pm and 8:00 pm. What the heck?

Those times seem difficult at best in terms of working around dinner. I can't remember precisely, but I am sure that on the TA last November on Nieuw Statendam the later show was definitely...later. I was thinking 9:00 but I could be wrong. I know that I had fixed late seating and it was still possible most nights to get to the show performance AFTER dinner.

Does HAL adjust showtimes based on the itinerary and the timing of their fixed seatings? For those like me who prefer a 7:00 to 7:30 start time for dining (I do Anytime mostly), how is one supposed to see a show?  Or is this just one more effort by HAL to de-emphasize the place of the "main theatre" show in the scheme of evening entertainment offerings?

Is there anyone else like me who thinks it's weird to see a show BEFORE dinner? What are folks' preferred showtimes?

I’m currently on the Zaandam.  So far, shows have been at 7:30 and 9:00.  It’s been awhile, but I have seen a ship schedule a show early for late diners and the second show for early diners.  Such a schedule was not every night - just a rare occurrence.

We used to joke that if HAL opened the MDR, for dinner, at 4pm, there would be a queue!  Our HAL cruises (usually of a longer duration) have generally been a very early to bed early to rise kind of crowd.  I guess that an 8pm show would work for the early diners (many of whom seem to think the MDR is like a fast food restaurant).  I suspect many HAL cruisers would be surprised that lines like Seabourn do not even open their MDR until 7pm.  Several of the more upscale lines will only have one evening main show which is usually scheduled between 9:30 and 10.  DW reminded me of one Celebrity cruise when we tried to go to the late night adult comedy show which was scheduled at midnight.  We could not get in because the theater was SRO.  Can you imagine a midnight show on HAL.  Even the performers would be asleep.

Actually a 6pm show would be fine for us.  We would go to that early show (we do this  on some other lines), have a cocktail after the show, and eventually make our way to dinner.  After finishing dinner (usually around 9:15-9:30, we enjoy some adult beverages at whatever venue has live music.  

We book Club Orange just to getaway from the queue impact.Well worth getting the cabin upgrade & the smaller dining room with a additional entre  . Breakfast there as well  .Lunch in the Lido  or  a  deli sandwhich with extra meat 

We would prefer the 7:30 and 9:00 PM show times. We also prefer to dine early, we would like to see the MDR open at 5:00 for dinner, that way even the notorious hour and a half plus dinner would still allow for a choice of after dinner entertainment. While some members seem to like to mock the early dinner folks, there can be many reasons for dining early, medical needs such as diabetes, or perhaps requirements for other medical needs. Also I'm getting tired of the constant, HAL sucks, you should cruise on any other cruise line. If HAL sucks so bad and every other line is better, then move on and enjoy the other lines, posting your rosy reports of the great voyage you had on XYZ line on the XYZ line boards.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I suspect many HAL cruisers would be surprised that lines like Seabourn do not even open their MDR until 7pm.  Several of the more upscale lines will only have one evening main show which is usually scheduled between 9:30 and 10.  DW reminded me of one Celebrity cruise when we tried to go to the late night adult comedy show which was scheduled at midnight.  We could not get in because the theater was SRO.  Can you imagine a midnight show on HAL.  Even the performers would be asleep.

On Oceania (most recent cruise), dinner begins at 6:30 in the MDR and there are many who come later, like moi. (No fixed dining.) Only one show, which is at 9:30.

I also love a late night comedy show.  Celebrity still does them, although perhaps not midnight any more. LOL.

39 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Actually a 6pm show would be fine for us.  We would go to that early show (we do this  on some other lines), have a cocktail after the show, and eventually make our way to dinner. 

It just feels weird to me to see a show before dinner. Kinda like cheaping out and going to the matinee rather than the evening performance. Pre-dinner time is for dressing and cocktails (preferably with music)!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We would prefer the 7:30 and 9:00 PM show times. We also prefer to dine early, we would like to see the MDR open at 5:00 for dinner, that way even the notorious hour and a half plus dinner would still allow for a choice of after dinner entertainment.

While some members seem to like to mock the early dinner folks, there can be many reasons for dining early, medical needs such as diabetes, or perhaps requirements for other medical needs. 

The notorious hour and a half dinner? LOL. I admit I do enjoy a leisurely multi-course dinner. I've been cruising too long to change my ways now and that's one of the things I've always enjoyed about dining at sea. That and sharing tables with others. Sadly both traditions seem to be on their way out these days...

As to medical issues, I'm not fully convinced. If people with medical issues travel, they should be prepared for and able to handle a certain amount of flexibility. What are you going to do on a TA cruise where you're losing (or gaining) an hour every day? You can't open the MDR for dinner at 2:00 pm!  Or if you're sailing in Asia, you are 12 hours ahead of/behind US East Coast time.... One simply plans for and acclimates to the situation.

17 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The notorious hour and a half dinner? LOL. I admit I do enjoy a leisurely multi-course dinner. I've been cruising too long to change my ways now and that's one of the things I've always enjoyed about dining at sea. That and sharing tables with others. Sadly both traditions seem to be on their way out these days...

As to medical issues, I'm not fully convinced. If people with medical issues travel, they should be prepared for and able to handle a certain amount of flexibility. What are you going to do on a TA cruise where you're losing (or gaining) an hour every day? You can't open the MDR for dinner at 2:00 pm!  Or if you're sailing in Asia, you are 12 hours ahead of/behind US East Coast time.... One simply plans for and acclimates to the situation.

Seems to me your post is very logical . People must  be flexible when cruising in different time zones

39 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Fortunately for my wife she doesn't need to "convince" YOU. An hour a day is workable, the point is dinner at 9:00 doesn't work for us. Yes one does adapt and we do, there are also a long list of food intolerances she has to work around. 

As to the hour and a half dinners? We really don't have a big problem with them, until they start to encroach on the gap she needs between eating and her insulin. As for sharing tables, we have met some nice people sharing tables, other times not as much. As it turns out you don't have to dine when we do, so whatever works for you; for us dinner at 5:00 would be great.

Edited by Blackduck59

Currently on N. Statendam,  World Stage shows last week were at 7.30 and 9.30. I seem to recall our first couple of cruises, on Royal Caribbean, had early shows for the later dinners and vice versa. Seemed logical at the time!

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Is there anyone else like me who thinks it's weird to see a show BEFORE dinner? What are folks' preferred showtimes?

Yes - me! It's called "dinner and a show" - not "show and a dinner" 😉  

My preferred showtimes would be 7 & 9 or 7:30 & 9. Actually, I don't really care when the 2nd show is because I won't be there.  I like pre-dinner cocktail, dinner, then a show (if interested) followed by a live music venue. I'm not a fan of the MDR so my dinners are mostly specialty restaurants, with a handful of casual Lido or maybe even NY pizza one night.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1