Where to stay for pre-cruise days before Southampton cruise?

I'm on a British Isles cruise departing Southampton in mid-June. I'd like to find a nice place to park myself to enjoy a few easy days of sightseeing (3-4 days; no car) prior to embarkation.

I've been to London many times as well as having visited quite a few of the outlying sites more than once (e.g., Windsor, Stonehenge, etc.), so am more looking for a pretty little town where I can just acclimate, walk around, and enjoy the (perfect, I hope) June weather. 

Ideally it should be a place relatively simple to get to from Heathrow and also easy to get to Southampton. Bonus points if there are Roman ruins nearby. 😉

I was kicking around the idea of the Isle of Wight, but not sure how easy the transportation links are and also getting around without a car. I also love Bath, but is it a bit out of the way? 

Any thoughts on these, or any other suggestions welcomed!

Second vote for Bath. Pretty, lots to do and easy for a daytrip by train to Bristol (25mins) or Bradford on Avon(15mins) if you suddenly feel like more exploring. Getting there, easiest is probably national express coach from Heathrow (2hr), and train to Southampton (90mins).

I choose to stay in Southampton, but I have also only two nights before the cruise; and I will check out the Marine Museum of Porthmouth an hour away with a direct train (Admiral Nelson's Ship is there) But I heard the seaside towns of Brighton and Bournemouth are nice as well.

There are so many choices of quaint towns and attractions to see around the Southampton area.  We spent three days in Bath a few years ago pre cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Easy train ride back to Southampton to catch the ship.  We've also spent a day in Brighton and it was a straight train run there from Gatwick airport where we landed.  Interesting town as well.  There is a lot to see and do in Portsmouth and we spent the day there this past summer.  Would have liked more time, a two day stay would have been nice.  So much to see just in the dockyard area.  We have also spent some time in the towns in the New Forest but luckily we had friends who were driving us around on that trip.  It's a bit harder when you are on your own without a car but the area is beautiful.  The Cotswolds are one of our favorite areas to visit but again harder to get around in if you don't drive your own car.  Whatever you choose to do pre cruise will no doubt be amazing as there is spectacular scenery and so much quintessential UK, that you'll want to come back for more!  Enjoy your time there and your cruise.

Barb

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I also love Bath, but is it a bit out of the way? 

Rail transport in SE England is London-centric. 

Great for travel from LHR into London, but for other directions it's difficult by rail since most journeys involve going into central London and out again, usually from a different central London station. 

To Southampton is an example - convoluted long-winded and expensive. Most folk book a direct National Express coach (about £20) or private transfer (about £140 -, by train is only worthy of a Plan B if other arrangements go belly-up.

To Bath is simpler but frustrating - and the rail website doesn't offer what I consider to be the obvious route - LHR to Paddington station by Heathrow Express or Elizabeth line tube, then direct half-hourly train from Paddington to Bath Spa station. The frustrating bit is that the train from Paddington re-traces part of the route that you took to Paddington.

By direct National Express bus is simpler & cheaper at just £10.50, but there are only a very few direct coaches each day.

The walk-up train fare is about £50 from London Waterloo to Southampton or £40 from London Paddington to Bath Spa.

But by far the best option from Bath to Southampton is the hourly direct train service at around £33, with only a pound or two difference between advance or walk-up fares.

So for travel outside London it's Heathrow airport, not Bath, that's a bit out of the way.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, Bath is delightful though apart from the well-preserved baths it's an attractive Georgian city with imposing architecture - a lot younger than your usual haunts 😏

Rail station, coaches and  sights like the Baths, the Royal Crescent and Pultney Bridge are in easy walking distance.

Bath is one of those cities where a ho-ho bus is a waste of time & money.

Southampton has no Roman remains that I'm aware of, despite a TripAdvisor praising the city's "Roman" Wall Walks 🙄. The Roman town (Clausentum) was in what is now the suburb of Bitterne Manor. The city's few historic sights including  the Tudor Merchant's House, the city walls, the Bargate and the archaeological museum in God's Tower would interest a visitor for a day, but perhaps not your scene.

Southampton is a rail hub with excellent direct links to places like ....

Bath - so a day-trip from Southampton is an option (£41  for "anytime" return tickets.)

Portchester station then short taxi hop to ruined Portchester Castle. The castle is Norman, but built within the walls of a Roman fort

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/portchester-castle/history-and-stories/history/

Fishbourne Roman Palace. Train (one change of train) to Fishbourne (return fare £20) then ten minute walk. (not to be confused with Fishbourne on the Isle of Wight

https://www.britainsfinest.co.uk/museums/fishbourne-roman-palace-gardens

I wouldn't suggest either Portchester or Fishbourne to the average visitor but I know your interest in all things Roman. It won't surprise you that I've never visited those sights 😏

The Isle of Wight is a short ferry ride from Southampton. 

The island is kinda stuck in the 1950s, relaxing, slow-placed & laid-back.

But it has an excellent bus service and buses pass close to four of the five Roman villa remains (the one at Combey is the exception)

https://images-islandbuses.passenger-website.com/2023-09/ISLAND MAP.pdf

The island is better known as part of the Jurassic coast, with dinosaur museum etc. I believe the dinosaurs were on this planet  even before the Greeks 😜

JB 🙂

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, John Bull said:

To Bath is simpler but frustrating - and the rail website doesn't offer what I consider to be the obvious route - LHR to Paddington station by Heathrow Express or Elizabeth line tube, then direct half-hourly train from Paddington to Bath Spa station. The frustrating bit is that the train from Paddington re-traces part of the route that you took to Paddington.

This is nothing to do with London-centricity, and everything to do with the nature of the trains that operate between London and Bath: they are long-distance trains, so after departing London Paddington their next stop is usually Reading, which is well to the west of Heathrow. So the effect you mention is simply the interaction between that and the nature of Heathrow <--> London Paddington trains, which are either a fast shuttle between those points only (Heathrow Express) or a commuter railway calling at many local stations between them, and beyond (Elizabeth Line).

There has long been an alternative to the backtracking and re-tracing for passengers starting from Heathrow who want trains heading west: the Railair coach between Heathrow and Reading.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, onyx007 said:

I heard the seaside towns of Brighton and Bournemouth are nice as well.

Brighton is excellent. Bournemouth can bemixed. I've spent a short break break there and had a lovely time. However, my nephew did his Masters degree at the university there and said parts of the town are very run down 

A few years ago we arrived at Heathrow and got the National Express coach directly to Southampton where we stayed for a few days before a cruise.

On day one we got the train to Winchester which is a gorgeous town with a magnificent cathedral.

IMG_20240223_142310.thumb.jpg.276bb0e842e1b122a79f5903926ae5a2.jpg

On day two we hired a car and drove to Dorset. I went to Lulworth Cove and walked the coast path to Durdle Door while DH went to the tank museum at Bovington. On the way home we drove through the New Forest to see the ponies.

IMG_20240223_141648.thumb.jpg.c70d383ec41dc5784dbc80daa156d09e.jpg

IMG_20240223_142326.thumb.jpg.81d5faa70c202f4264aba01fad1c5721.jpg

On day three we got the train to Portsmouth. We had been to the naval museum previously so we went to Southsea Castle (where Henry VIII watched the Mary Rose sink in 1545) and walked along the ocean front to the Spinnaker Tower stopping for a fish and chip lunch at a cafe along the way.

IMG_20240223_141740.thumb.jpg.943fd5363ed53da407b06e0d8e0e1be7.jpg

We had a lovely relaxed three days before our cruise and it was all very easy to do. Southampton is also nice to walk around and has a few museums.

Alternatively you could go by National Express coach from Heathrow to stay in Winchester and travel from there by train to sightsee and then to Southampton on the day of your cruise.

Edited by PurpleTraveller

Thanks to everyone for sharing thoughts and ideas, especially @John Bull (that was a long screed but you know me well and your thoughts are on target!).

Just to be clear, I've seen a fair amount of sights in most all of the cities mentioned -- the round table at Winchester Cathedral, the Royal Pavillion at Brighton, the Roman baths at Bath....  I've stayed in the Cotswolds in a charming inn... So the mentioned places aren't totally new to me (except for the Isle of Wight).

Based on JB's suggestion, I am now thinking it may be easiest to stay in Southampton near the train station and just do some daytrips to Bath, Fishbourne, and Isle of Wight. Does that sound doable? In maybe 4 days?

58 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks to everyone for sharing thoughts and ideas, especially @John Bull (that was a long screed but you know me well and your thoughts are on target!).

Just to be clear, I've seen a fair amount of sights in most all of the cities mentioned -- the round table at Winchester Cathedral, the Royal Pavillion at Brighton, the Roman baths at Bath....  I've stayed in the Cotswolds in a charming inn... So the mentioned places aren't totally new to me (except for the Isle of Wight).

Based on JB's suggestion, I am now thinking it may be easiest to stay in Southampton near the train station and just do some daytrips to Bath, Fishbourne, and Isle of Wight. Does that sound doable? In maybe 4 days?

Yes, perfectly doable - in 3 days

A full day in Bath - by train

A full day on the IoW - by Red Jet passenger ferry to Cowes https://www.redfunnel.co.uk/isle-of-wight-ferry/fleet/redjet then short bus-ride to Newport, the island capital and bus hub https://www.islandbuses.info/services A 24-hour Southern Vectis "Rover" bus ticket might be cheaper than pay-as-you-go, it'll certainly be simpler.

A lazy day to Fishbourne - by train.

Perhaps leave the which and when to see the mood and weather forecast - crossing the Solent and  traipsing round the IoW is best done in good weather.

I do worry that you might be disappointed by Fishbourne and the Island's Roman remains. do research them.

A hotel by Southampton Central station is ideal for the trains.

And McDonald's 😜.

Or more convenient for the ferry and if a McDonald's won't do 😏, a selection of hotels, pubs & restaurants around West Quay and old-town.

But the two locations are only a 10 minute walk apart.

See the thumbnail map at the foot of this page

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

JB 🙂

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

I do worry that you might be disappointed by Fishbourne and the Island's Roman remains. do research them.

A hotel by Southampton Central station is ideal for the trains.

And McDonald's 😜.

Or more convenient for the ferry and if a McDonald's won't do 😏, a selection of hotels, pubs & restaurants around West Quay and old-town.

You know I've made a second career out of visiting far-flung Roman sites and I've actually been to Fishbourne before (*ducks head*) but only spent a short time there and would like to go back. I really enjoyed it (as well as Chedworth AND Lullingstone). 

I get your point about the train station. I will look around the other areas you mention for accommodations.

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

You know I've made a second career out of visiting far-flung Roman sites

Then I’d boost Portchester Castle, which JB mentioned up thread. Although it is largely Norman and Medieval, it incorporates a remarkably well preserved Roman Fort on the shore. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 6:08 PM, Cotswold Eagle said:

Then I’d boost Portchester Castle, which JB mentioned up thread. Although it is largely Norman and Medieval, it incorporates a remarkably well preserved Roman Fort on the shore. 

Thanks; I will look into Portchester as well.

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks; I will look into Portchester as well.

It's in a lovely waterside setting, but I think the only Roman remains are the gatehouse and high perimeter walls 

You could perhaps visit same-day as Fishbourne - it's in the same direction.

It's a 20-minute walk from the station, I don't think there's a taxi rank.

The Cormorant pub is a good watering hole shortly before the castle.

JB 🙂

9 hours ago, John Bull said:

It's in a lovely waterside setting, but I think the only Roman remains are the gatehouse and high perimeter walls

That may be the case, but that still makes it the best preserved Roman fort in Northern Europe. It is hugely important for students of Roman buildings. 

I went back to my (exhaustive) Roman UK notes. 😉

I have visited Portchester castle/Roman fort. I have also visited at least one other Roman fort on the so-called Saxon shore, at Dover (loved the Roman lighthouse there, one of the only ones still extant).

Not to mention Caerleon and Caerwent and most of the forts along Hadrian's Wall and the villas already mentioned. And (*ducking further*), Chichester, Silchester, Cirencester, and St. Albans/Verulamium.

While I would be happy to go back and visit just about any of these, the Isle of Wight would be completely new to me, including the Roman villa at Brading, so it's pretty high on my list. I wouldn't mind seeing Osborne as well.

At this point I am thinking of a couple of alternatives to just staying in Southampton proper:

-- Staying in Bath for 3-4 nights pre-cruise and leaving Isle of Wight for another visit.

-- Staying somewhere like Lymington (recommended to me as a charming place near Southampton) for 3-4 days and using the link from there to IoW, although it looks like the landing place (Yarmouth) is far from where I'd want to be Roman Villas, Osborne House). @John Bull will the buses and/or train get me around in a day?

Edited by cruisemom42

On 2/21/2024 at 4:38 PM, cruisemom42 said:

having visited quite a few of the outlying sites more than once (e.g., Windsor, Stonehenge, etc.), so am more looking for a pretty little town where I can just acclimate, walk around, and enjoy the (perfect, I hope) June weather. 

Ideally it should be a place relatively simple to get to from Heathrow and also easy to get to Southampton. Bonus points if there are Roman ruins nearby

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have visited Portchester castle/Roman fort. I have also visited at least one other Roman fort on the so-called Saxon shore, at Dover (loved the Roman lighthouse there, one of the only ones still extant).

Not to mention Caerleon and Caerwent and most of the forts along Hadrian's Wall and the villas already mentioned. And (*ducking further*), Chichester, Silchester, Cirencester, and St. Albans/Verulamium.

I find the contrast between your original post and subsequent ones such that I am no longer sure quite what input you are asking for.... but I hope you find what you are looking for and have a wonderful trip 😀

1 hour ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

I find the contrast between your original post and subsequent ones such that I am no longer sure quite what input you are asking for.... but I hope you find what you are looking for and have a wonderful trip 😀

Sorry, just evolving my thinking. Most people aren't as familiar with all the Roman sites so I didn't lead with it. Thanks for your thoughts.

JB can vouch for my insane dedication to all things Roman. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by cruisemom42

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

most of the forts along Hadrian's Wall

The Wall is a couple of hours drive north of me and we'd often passed nearby driving up to the northeast, but never stopped. But, in 2022, we did a three day trip and saw pretty much all the major sites and quite a few of the small "milepost" forts. I actually did an online course about the Wall's history beforehand so had some decent knowledge of  what I was looking at. A really interesting trip that surprised me about how well preserved the main forts are.  Did you see the bathhouse at Chesters fort? Not a word I use often but - awesome. 

Referring back to my earlier suggestions of Winchester or Salisbury, both were founded by the Romans - although for Salisbury, the original Roman town was at Old Sarum 

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/old-sarum/

Maybe for a future trip, perhaps I can suggest Chester. Roman amphitheatre and the walls round the city are Roman in origin (although much developed in medieval times). Lots of other non-Roman history in the area.

Edited by Harters

5 minutes ago, Harters said:

The Wall is a couple of hours drive north of me and we'd often passed nearby driving up to the northeast, but never stopped. But, in 2022, we did a three day trip and saw pretty much all the major sites and quite a few of the small "milepost" forts. I actually did an online course about the Wall's history beforehand so had some decent knowledge of  what I was looking at. A really interesting trip that surprised me about how well preserved the main forts are.  Did you see the bathhouse at Chesters fort? Not a word I use often but - awesome. 

Maybe for a future trip, perhaps I can suggest Chester. Roman amphitheatre and the walls round the city are Roman in origin (although much developed in medieval times). Lots of other non-Roman history in the area.

I probably took the same course as you. From Newcastle University?

Chesters is magnificent. I also loved the dusty little onsite museum. Full of hidden treasures....  Also really enjoyed Vindolanda.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

From Newcastle University?

I found the course through FutureLearn, which I've done a few other courses through. Can't recall who had actually produced it. My wife's cousin appeared in one of the videos - He's employed by Newcastle museum's service and was involved with the eastern section of the Wall. 

The little museum at Chesters? Doesnt that house the stone with the penis graffiti?

Edited by Harters