NCL - Specialty Dining - Teppanyaki

Hello, we are taking a cruise in 3 weeks on the Escape.  There will be 11 of us.  Can anyone please tell me if we can use one our “specialty dining” passes at Teppanyaki?  There are 7 adults and 4 kids ages 8-5.  I think the kids would enjoy the show at dinner but we don’t want to pay a massive bill to attend this one night.  Thank you in advance. 

1 hour ago, kbalthaser66 said:

Hello, we are taking a cruise in 3 weeks on the Escape.  There will be 11 of us.  Can anyone please tell me if we can use one our “specialty dining” passes at Teppanyaki?  There are 7 adults and 4 kids ages 8-5.  I think the kids would enjoy the show at dinner but we don’t want to pay a massive bill to attend this one night.  Thank you in advance. 

Honestly? I would either have the kids go to Splash Academy while the adults dined at Teppanyaki or I would find a different specialty restaurant for everyone to go to. Getting reservations for 11 will likely be a challenge, especially at meal times that could work for the kids.

When we last went to Teppanyaki, we found that it was a very noisy environment and the food was just ok. I found it to be especially salty. The "show" was good, but if you have been to a Teppanyaki place elsewhere, you have probably seen a very similar show. Plus, with no open flames allowed on the ship, there is no onion volcano and some of the other pizzaz that you might find in a land-based restaurant.

As for the cost, you can definitely use a Specialty Dining credit to cover the cost. If the kids don't have their own dining packages, though, you will either have to pay full price for them or you will have to have them order from the free kids menu (which is just burgers, hot dogs, pasta, pizza, etc.). Because there are limited seats available at Teppanyaki, though, they may frown at having 4 non-paying kids taking up valuable spots, especially if demand is high.

• Thanks 1

you are correct, it's 8 seats to a table. i think (if im not mistaken) there are only 3 tables in the restaurant, and only 3 seating times per day. if everyone has a ding package you can use them at teppanyaki. that being said, however, as far as the 4 kids are concerned, youre probably better off going to la cucina and letting them order pizza

21 minutes ago, Asawi said:

Isn't it typically 8 seats or something like that at one teppanyaki table? You'd have to talk to them to make sure they can seat you together. 

NorDec-36957-1556202034.jpg

For larger groups, 2 chefs can work "back to back" at the same time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kbalthaser66 said:

Kids can wat off kids menu for free and adults pay 70$per or dinning credit. Fyi if you dont like rice ask for udon noodles. Probably will give you some rice anyway. Scallops and shrimp good neet now nystrip. Fair.aldo ask for icecream with desert.

7 hours ago, Grandmafreddie said:

Kids can wat off kids menu for free and adults pay 70$per or dinning credit. Fyi if you dont like rice ask for udon noodles. Probably will give you some rice anyway. Scallops and shrimp good neet now nystrip. Fair.aldo ask for icecream with desert.

I saw this advice about ordering noodles before my last cruise and was excited because I never knew this.  Went on the Getaway in January and asked for noodles instead of rice.  I was told no, only if I ordered the noodles dish.  I didn't make a fuss or anything, but was looking forward to the noodles instead of rice.  I'll continue to ask on future cruises as I'm sure it's YMMV

13 hours ago, complawyer said:

you are correct, it's 8 seats to a table. i think (if im not mistaken) there are only 3 tables in the restaurant, and only 3 seating times per day. if everyone has a ding package you can use them at teppanyaki. that being said, however, as far as the 4 kids are concerned, youre probably better off going to la cucina and letting them order pizza

Size may vary between the ships, I suppose, but on the Bliss, the seating is much larger than you stated.

There are ay least 8 seats per table, which loops around to another table forming a U around the cooking station.

Then , there are at least 3 of these table groups. That's 48 seats minimum ( I can't recall for sure, but it seemed like there were more diners than that.

Now, as far as loading it up with kids, could be an issue. But when you make a reservation on board, they won't know about the kids.

On the other hand, it would be really hard to get a block of seats like that - and even if you could get the block pre-cruise, you'd have to pay in advance for anyone without a package coupon.

Messy situation.

I think it will be hard to get a reservation for that large of a party this late. Paying that much, especially for kids, wouldn’t thrill me, a local hibachi 5 minutes away charges 1/2 price for 12 and under, $13. We have 5 kids so went often when they were little.

1 hour ago, cruiser2015 said:

and even if you could get the block pre-cruise, you'd have to pay in advance for anyone without a package coupon.

Not necessarily. 

Depending on how it's reserved and who reserves it, the system could assume that everyone on the reservation has the SDP and will use it at that restaurant. People can "pay" however they want once there but the system won't automatically charge if reserved before the cruise. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

28 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Not necessarily. 

Depending on how it's reserved and who reserves it, the system could assume that everyone on the reservation has the SDP and will use it at that restaurant. People can "pay" however they want once there but the system won't automatically charge if reserved before the cruise. 

It's been stated on CC many times that if you are reserving (pre cruise) to always reserve the flat fee venues first, as those are billed if the system sees that you have used up all of your allocated dining slots. The a la carte ones are never billed in advance.

What it does with a large party - wild card there. If they allow the one person to book a group that large, they could slide by.

we were super disappointed in it.. It's the first time I've ever had rice with garlic in it.. But even with all the seasoning and stuff in it, it was just bland.. And we love hibachi places.  But we were also super sad with Maderno (sp) also..  Everything was so dry.. Only decent specialty dining we had was Cagney's... This was the Escape in December 2023.. But, I'm sure others loved them.. Sooo.. there you go.. 🙂

If you don't like salt tell the chef who is cooking. Rice they will make how you like it more garlic or less. You can always add hot  sauce. If bland your falt for not telling him what you like. Best thing about tepanki is that they make to order. Not ind readers.