New to Princess…Medallion Questions

laudergayle

What’s with the Medallion?  We are more old-school types, and while we do have smart phones, we are not really technologically advanced.  We are use to carrying a room key for purchases.  The Medallion seems like it wants a lot of information about you, and to me it feels a little intrusive.

I read on the drink thread that you have a 15 day limit and sometimes the bar tenders won’t use two medallions so the drink count gets out of whack.  I also read that if the security photo on the Medsllion doesn’t match you the purchase won’t go through. All of this seems so complicated. 

Am I overthinking the Medallion?  

Yes, you may be overly concerned. It’s really pretty easy and intuitive. First of all the information you are providing via the app is basically the same as you had to complete previously via the website for check in. Just a different format. I like the ease of making dinner reservations, excursion reservations, etc. through the app. It’s convenient having your cruise info easily accessible via your phone and I like the ability to find traveling companions on the ship. It has a lot of cool features. We don’t really use the Ocean Now as we find it easy enough to go and get our food and drinks - but some people enjoy that delivery option. We also don’t do the packages so not really worried about the drink count monitoring or charging, but we have no issues using our medallions to pay for our onboard purchases as we go. It’s great for getting on and off the ship and unlocking your room door as you walk up. I never enjoyed carrying a card around - don’t usually have pockets so my DH carried it for me a lot. The medallion I wear on a bracelet and it’s very convenient. I know it may seem an odd little tool at first, but I’ve grown to be a fan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The medallion itself is just a small quarter sized disc that has a code to recognize you. While on board you carry the medallion and use it to unlock your cabin door, purchase things, locate those you allow to locate. In that respect it's not much different than the cruise card. The information which you supply pre-cruise to Princess isn't much different than what it was in the past. How you supply it is very different. Some of the old standards, such as traditional dining are now gone replaced by dine my way where you select your dining times.

Beverages and other. If you purchase the plus or premier fare then you will receive the benefits of those fares. These benefits are loaded into your on board account they are not on the medallion. There are 3 major components to these fares, beverage package, crew appreciation and wifi, and a few other important components such as casual dining and the waiver of Ocean Now fee.  You can see them in the referenced web site below. You asked about  the beverage package. The beverage package includes unlimited non alcoholic beverages such as specialty coffees, special juices, sodas and so on. It also includes up to 15 alcoholic beverages per day. I think what you are thinking about is going to the bar with two different medallions. Then you ask for two drinks one for each medallion and the bar tender places them on one. You just have to be clear when you order so the on board accounts don't get mixed up. If there is an issue visit passenger services.

Photo. There is no security photo on the medallion. There is a security photo in your file. There have been some issues with the photos, but all correctable.

When entering information you do not have to use the app. There is an on line web version. If you wish to have a cruise card once on board visit passenger services.

The issues are not medallion issues. The issues are with a poorly written Princess app and new programing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Do not confuse the Medallion - a little coin-sized device - with the Medallion App or anything else called Medallion. The Medallion itself doesn't store any information. It stores a number only that references a record on a server containing all of the same information as before.

Be cautious when reading tales from passengers who had a one-off experience. Yes, the bartenders can make mistakes, but overall charging the correct Medallion is what happens 99% of the time.

Why would your photo not match? Not match what? Your appearance? 

• Thanks 3

Yes, you're overthinking it. As karatemom2 said, it's a great feature for all the reasons she listed. The picture is so that employees will recognize you when interacting at bars, restaurants, getting off and on the ship at stops, etc. And at many places when you disembark they use facial recognition, no need to stop and talk to a customs and immigration officer. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, IndyKid said:

And at many places when you disembark they use facial recognition, no need to stop and talk to a customs and immigration officer. 

The facial recognition used by US CPB has nothing to do with the Medallion. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wonders By Wallis said:

Personally, I like the Medallion with Princess Premier. There is nothing like sitting down at trivial, ordering Champagne and sushi on the app and having it delivered to you in Princess Live.

Sounds perfect!
So, with Premier I could order sushi as part of the unlimited casual dining and champagne up to $20 (or pay the cost above $20 plus grat) using the Ocean Now?  

Besides a tip, is there any other cost associated with a transaction as you outlined?

And, to clarify, this is done using your Princess app on your phone.  Once it arrives do they scan your medallion for payment, or is paying done automatically through the app?

Edited by laudergayle

Just now, laudergayle said:

Sounds perfect!
So, with Premier I could order sushi as part of the unlimited casual dining and champagne up to $20 (or pay the cost above $20 plus grat) using the Ocean Now?  

Besides a tip, is there any other cost associated with a transaction as you outlined?

Well, the sushi is charged a la carte (at least on Discovery Princess). I think the cost was $12. As you noted, there may be a charge for the Champagne. OceanNow delivery is included in the Princess Premiere package so there is no added cost (even if you order it to your stateroom). I belong to a private club in a 1909 mansion with three floors and five bars. I wish they had OceanNow there. 🙂

9 minutes ago, Wonders By Wallis said:

Well, the sushi is charged a la carte (at least on Discovery Princess). I think the cost was $12. As you noted, there may be a charge for the Champagne. OceanNow delivery is included in the Princess Premiere package so there is no added cost (even if you order it to your stateroom). I belong to a private club in a 1909 mansion with three floors and five bars. I wish they had OceanNow there. 🙂

Got it…thanks for clarifying.  

The medallion is really only a round version of the old key card. If they don’t like your security picture at embarkation they will take another of you before you get on the ship. Mine has changed numerous times for to changes in hair style and facial hair

I

• Like 1

I'll throw my medallion question in ...

What are the options for attachment? Can I generally attach it through a typical wristband or a small clip (on a lanyard).

Don't want to splurge on the Medallion specific items for carrying in case we don't sail on Princess again in the future.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

What are the options for attachment? Can I generally attach it through a typical wristband or a small clip (on a lanyard).

Don't want to splurge on the Medallion specific items for carrying in case we don't sail on Princess again in the future.

It comes with a lanyard so if that works for you, nothing else is needed. Princess does sell other holders - wristbands, bracelets, clips, necklace. I’m a regular Princess cruiser so I invested in a bracelet that I really like. It’s now been through three cruises. 

But if you don’t want to buy one of the accessories Princess sells, people here have reported ordering other types of holders. Just for reference it’s the same size as an Apple air tag. 

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

You can just slip it into your pocket if you want

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I use a little rubber-ish Apple AirTag holder. The rubber-ish holder helps keep it inside a pocket (think loose shorts and whatnot). I attach it to a lanyard when embarking and disembarking the ship, but otherwise just leave it in my pocket while onboard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09468VZ5W/

image.png.a9038a420bcaf9c6d7c59d1d68e85abb.png

• Thanks 3

Sushi and other casual dining. Not all ships have sushi as a casual dining option. Here is a flyer that shows available dining and the ships.

https://www.princess.com/content/dam/princess/corporate/pdfs/restaurants-dining-venues-on-board.pdf.coredownload.inline.pdf

Here is the flyer that I forgot to add to my previous posting

https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages

You can use the Ocean Now App if you like. When ordering drinks for the the two of you make certain you use the two different apps where each one is connected to each person's account. That way you will not get lopsided use of the 15 allowable drinks. You can also order from a waiter or directly at the bar. It's your choice.

To be clear regarding a previous post Princess does not use facial recognition software. It's just a photo. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, memoak said:

The medallion is really only a round version of the old key card. If they don’t like your security picture at embarkation they will take another of you before you get on the ship. Mine has changed numerous times for to changes in hair style and facial hair

I

I am surprised they didn’t reshoot my photo at embarkation in September. My beard is about 8” shorter. My wife had hers redone in March because the one I took at home was too distant. They wanted no more than head and shoulders. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skynight said:

Sushi and other casual dining. Not all ships have sushi as a casual dining option. Here is a flyer that shows available dining and the ships.

https://www.princess.com/content/dam/princess/corporate/pdfs/restaurants-dining-venues-on-board.pdf.coredownload.inline.pdf

Here is the flyer that I forgot to add to my previous posting

https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages

You can use the Ocean Now App if you like. When ordering drinks for the the two of you make certain you use the two different apps where each one is connected to each person's account. That way you will not get lopsided use of the 15 allowable drinks. You can also order from a waiter or directly at the bar. It's your choice.

To be clear regarding a previous post Princess does not use facial recognition software. It's just a photo. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH for these links.  I appreciate your sharing and not telling me to go search for it myself.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, skynight said:

The only place they use facial recognition is to tie your Princess photos back to your account so you can see all your photos.

• Like 1

It’s really neat that the medallion can be used for going ashore either for excursions or at the end of the cruise.
Other cruise lines, I’m thinking MSC and probably others, have a medallion type device that opens cabin doors and can be used for onboard purchases, but the cruise card is still required when leaving the ship. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

It’s really neat that the medallion can be used for going ashore either for excursions or at the end of the cruise.
Other cruise lines, I’m thinking MSC and probably others, have a medallion type device that opens cabin doors and can be used for onboard purchases, but the cruise card is still required when leaving the ship. 🤷🏼‍♂️

You need the medallion or a cruise card to get on and off the ship you do not need both. If you have a medallion no need for a cruise card and vice versa

• Like 1

Amazon sells a selection of accessories to hold the medallions, at a very reasonable cost. There is a choice of wristbands making it look similar to a watch ---- reminiscent of Disney's MagicBands, for the Disney fans out there. They also sell several versions of clips, a necklace, and a few other choices I don't remember at the moment. Much cheaper than the Princess jewelry and more durable for days spent swimming, sightseeing, etc.

• Thanks 1

So the medallion is waterproof then?  If looking on Amazon for accessories, do they specifically sell the medallion size or should we search for the Apple AirTag size. Is there a different medallion for each cruise you take? 

8 minutes ago, Pushka said:

So the medallion is waterproof then?  If looking on Amazon for accessories, do they specifically sell the medallion size or should we search for the Apple AirTag size. Is there a different medallion for each cruise you take? 

More or less waterproof. Water resistant is probably the correct term.

Look for Apple AirTag accessories. Perfect fit.

Yes, you receive a new medallion for each cruise.

Edited by Outerdog
  • Thanks 1