Cabin steward tipping

tmal2

1 minute ago, tmal2 said:

Does anyone tip their cabin stewards in top of the $20 per person per day service charge? How much additional do you give?

Does anyone? Yes. Does everyone? No.

For us it depends on the length of cruise, did we actually see/meet the steward, how was the service, did we have extra requests, etc. Lots of variables. Speaking of variables, YMMV.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, tmal2 said:

Does anyone tip their cabin stewards in top of the $20 per person per day service charge? How much additional do you give?

What someone else gives shouldn’t influence what you do or don’t do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, tmal2 said:

First of all, the service charge goes to far more people than the steward.  For example, waiters in the mdr, people cleaning tables in the buffet, etc.  We usually tip approximately $10 per day for the steward, more if they are truly outstanding.  We also leave $3-$5 per meal in any restaurant.  $1 per drink order.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, cheersforbeers said:

I have not cruised in years and was just looking for a ballpark figure. I understand that there are many variables.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tmal2 said:

I have not cruised in years and was just looking for a ballpark figure. I understand that there are many variables.

You will get answers from $5 to $200. It’s really a personal choice. I’ve tipped anywhere from $10 for a below average steward to $80 for a very good one when in the Haven. 
  We are also low maintenance and usually have no extra requests and aren’t messy. 

I always give the steward a $20 bill to start the cruise,  ask they empty fridge and then I will tip additional money at the end of the cruise depending how they do for us.  Alway very happy with the jobs they do.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tmal2 said:

I have not cruised in years and was just looking for a ballpark figure.

Why?

If the forum response of a "ballpark figure" was $250 per person per day would you tip that much just to fit in?

Would you ignore that amount and tip an amount that you feel is appropriate?

51 minutes ago, cheersforbeers said:

EXACTLY!!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Why?

If the forum response of a "ballpark figure" was $250 per person per day would you tip that much just to fit in?

Would you ignore that amount and tip an amount that you feel is appropriate?

EXACTLY!!

Wow - you sure to bring out the CRITIC part of this being CC - that is, a critic of others.

The OP's original question is perfectly reasonable.

Sure, the "answer" could be anywhere from zero to hundreds (probably excessive).

This sort of question gets asked all of the time - everywhere.

Examples include - how much to tip tour guides and/or tour bus drivers; restaurant/bar servers (where there isn't already 20% added); taxi drivers; newspaper delivery persons, etc.

So, for someone who may be clueless as to what goes in the wild world of tipping in a situation, soliciting opinions seems fair to me.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cheersforbeers said:

Yes and no.  Every year, around the holidays, there are articles around how much to tip your whoever because people don't know what is expected.  NCL states (paraphrasing because I'm lazy) that anything tipped above DSC is appreciated but not expected.  So there's the short answer.  For me, that means if service is above expectations, I'll tip...but since it isn't expected, anything >=$0 is fine.  

Just don't ask me how much to tip the housecleaner.  I'm still trying to figure that out. 🙂

Edited by phillygwm

i was on 15 night cruise. gave the steward $100 at end of cruise.  I thought that was reasonable.  We usually didn't leave our cabin until after 9am ( which was after his route on our floor), but he always came back to make up the room.  So I thought I gave him a good tip for me being an inconvenience to his routine.  He seemed to greatly be appreciative ( I gave it to him in person on the next to last day).

In the beginning of the cruise, I would also ti the bar tender(s) a $2.00 bill every so often.  I was getting really good dry martinis with lemon twist.

17 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Examples include - how much to tip tour guides and/or tour bus drivers; restaurant/bar servers (where there isn't already 20% added); taxi drivers; newspaper delivery persons, etc.

The answer is the same for all of those examples. 

The answer is that everyone should tip whatever amount that they want to tip, instead of  "...whelp, the most common amount is $xxx so I'll tip that amount..."

21 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

So, for someone who may be clueless as to what goes in the wild world of tipping in a situation, soliciting opinions seems fair to me.

What others tip in the "wild world of tipping" is irrelevant to me. It does not influence me at all since I am capable of deciding how much I tip on my own. I guess not everyone has that ability....or they have the ability but would rather have others decide for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isabella Benjamin said:

We usually tip $20 on the first day when we give him a list of items we need right away, then we tip another $20 on the last day.  

We do the same. We "bribe" our steward with a $20 bill on the first day with our list of common requests. If most everything from our list is taken care of, we "tip" $20 on the third day. And then we'll "tip" an additional $20 at the end of our sailing. 

This has been our strategy going back awhile now. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The answer is the same for all of those examples. 

The answer is that everyone should tip whatever amount that they want to tip, instead of  "...whelp, the most common amount is $xxx so I'll tip that amount..."

What others tip in the "wild world of tipping" is irrelevant to me. It does not influence me at all since I am capable of deciding how much I tip on my own. I guess not everyone has that ability....or they have the ability but would rather have others decide for them. 

Congratulations on being knowing and confident.

I maintain that it is perfectly okay to solicit an opinion in order to get a feel for the subject.

Then, the questioner can be a drone and use the average of his gathered info...or, as already suggested, modify this figure according to services rendered or perceived attitudes of the tip recipient.

Your repeated comments that they should figure it out on their own somehow are not helpful.

And despite your protestations, I will say that there are averages, or expected norms, that apply to many tipping situations.

Try this one:

Is it reasonable to say that at an average restaurant, with reasonable service (in the US) it is actually expected that you tip? And that the amounts usually will be from 15% to 20%; possibly more for exceptional service).

Now imagine a foreigner, from a country where tipping is not expected or they add an automatic charge. This persona asks: what is a fair amount for me to tip?

Your answer is "can't tell you that".

Great result.

And your comment sums this up nicely - that this information is irrelevant to you.

Fine.

Not so for others who would like to know more about something that they are unfamiliar with. You're not assisting with that, so why comment at all?

Edited by cruiser2015
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, tmal2 said:

They are paid as part of the DSC.  Unless they really go out of their way and do something memorable they get zero extra from me.  Unlike 20 or 30 years ago when they were like ninjas and seemed to clean your cabin every time you were away more than 10 minutes, now you get one cabin cleaning per day.  If you want ice buckets filled or coffee maker and coffee you have to ask for it. 

You pretty much have to ask for everything.  Level of service from cabin stewards not what it used to be.  It is now not any better than an average hotel room on land.  Keep that in mind as you will undoubtedly get many suggestions to tip extra.  It is not expected or required to tip more.  Be nice to your cabin stewards and try not to be a PITA and I think they will appreciate that more than anything.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

First of all, the service charge goes to far more people than the steward.  For example, waiters in the mdr, people cleaning tables in the buffet, etc.  We usually tip approximately $10 per day for the steward, more if they are truly outstanding.  We also leave $3-$5 per meal in any restaurant.  $1 per drink order.

Even as a solo this adds well over $700+ to my cruise ON TOP OFF the $1100 I’m already being charged in DSC and dining/drink package gratuities. Yeah, that’s absolutely not even happening. For me personally, that’s excessive. 😳

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Your repeated comments that they should figure it out on their own somehow are not helpful.

They are helpful for people who can think on their own. If other people would rather pass that heavy burden onto the masses, my posts will not be helpful. 

16 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Is it reasonable to say that at an average restaurant, with reasonable service (in the US) it is actually expected that you tip?

NCL has...

"Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests.

...however, if someone decides to tip (I do), there is no recommended amount. 

20 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Now imagine a foreigner, from a country where tipping is not expected or they add an automatic charge. This persona asks: what is a fair amount for me to tip?

Your answer is "can't tell you that".

Great result.

If an automatic charge is added, the person will pay that. If the foreigner wants to tip above that or not, the foreigner isn't wrong no matter what he/she decides. The "fair amount" can only be decided by the foreigner, not by you, me, or by the average amount based on members on the forum. 

• Like 1

said this many times before. 1st off, the DSC covers almost the entire working staff on board. 

since my 1st cruise on the pearl in 2010 i have done as follows. (also contingent on length of cruise, with 7 days being minimal)_ $20 day one when he 1sts comes to the cabin. all i really need is extra bath towels on a daily basis. middle of cruise, another $20. 7 day cruise an additional $20 at the end

any thing longer, $20 more about    every 3-4 days.  butler usually 100-150 at the end, concierge 50 at the end, assorted waiters waitresses that i have contact with throughout the cruise 5-10 depending onthe meal (breakfast is usually at least $5.

bartenders $1-2 per drink, any other bus person  that may bring me a drink (coke, beer or a margarita) while i'm in the buffet or out at the pool, an additional $1-2 per drink. this probably will sound laughable, and very anal, but prior to leaving for the cruise, we think of all the potential workers we will actually have contact with, and determine how much money we will need for tips throughout the length of the trip 

dont forget to bring extra for the maitre'd .

this is just us. i could be completely delusional, but i feel when i tip these people,they get to know my wife and i, they seem to be more attentive to our needs. after a few days, they even bring items they know we usually order.

in past posts, some people have referred this practice as a "bribe" that my well be (a rose is a rose is a rose) but try and slip in a $10  to the maitre d at a specialty restaurant that has on openings for when you want dinner. you'll think you're harry potter as seating will magically appear

bottom line!!!! ncl requires NO EXTRA TIPPING!!  consequently you are under no obligation to do so.

my wife and I will continue as business as usual. By the way, we have been on over 25 ncl cruises, and my tipping practice has remained the same throughout

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Even as a solo this adds well over $700+ to my cruise ON TOP OFF the $1100 I’m already being charged in DSC and dining/drink package gratuities. Yeah, that’s absolutely not even happening. For me personally, that’s excessive. 😳

That was for two so divide it in half.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

That was for two so divide it in half.

My cruise is 25-nights, in a Solo Inside cabin. So, even with no butler or concierge to ‘reward’ and a room ‘Stewart’ I may not see but once a day, the total cost end results for me tipping under those guidelines that you follow would still easily add several hundred dollars on top of the $1100 I’m already being billed.

I’m just 1 of 2000 on the ship, and most likely the easiest to take care of: no special cabin needs, no special dietary requests, not a frequent bar visitor, and very, very low maintenance. So there’s no real reason that they get to know me, my likes and dislikes, or what makes my day. And I’m fine with that.

And with the 20% service charges/tips already added to my drinks and SDP, I personally see no reason to tip another 20% on top of that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, complawyer said:

this probably will sound laughable, and very anal, but prior to leaving for the cruise, we think of all the potential workers we will actually have contact with, and determine how much money we will need for tips throughout the length of the trip 

dont forget to bring extra for the maitre'd .

In past posts, some people have referred this practice as a "bribe" that my well be (a rose is a rose is a rose) but try and slip in a $10  to the maitre d at a specialty restaurant that has on openings for when you want dinner. you'll think you're harry potter as seating will magically appear

We too prepare a budget for each cruise which includes cash for tips.  

Amazing how a maitre'd can perform miracles like window seats.

Too those who call it a 'bribe' my response is "So what", I call it 'pre-paid gratuities'.