Parking at New Orleans

Ace5614

Tried this on the gulf coast board with no replies so thought I would try it here.

Taking the Carnival Liberty out of New Orleans and wanted to hear opions of parking at the port vs. off site lots.

Thanks.

• Like 1

We always part at the Fulton garage. Much cheaper than the port and they have a free shuttle 

I usually drop everyone and the luggage of at the ship then run over to the garage and park and ride the shuttle over solo.

After the cruise we all ride the shuttle back over. They wait downstairs with the luggage and I go up and get the car and then bring it down and load and go

• Like 3

If I drive to the port (I'm local) I would only do the port parking or Fulton St. Those are the most secure. No one can access the port garage at all and Fulton has 24 hour security. I prefer the port for convenience because you can do everything through the garage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You cannot go wrong with either one. The savings at Fulton will buy you a bucket of beer. I like to save money. Also, I carry my luggage off the ship and the shuttle is always waiting. They do not wait for a full bus to take you to the deck. In January we were the first off the ship and the driver headed to the garage with only six on the bus.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

If I drive to the port (I'm local) I would only do the port parking or Fulton St. Those are the most secure. No one can access the port garage at all and Fulton has 24 hour security. I prefer the port for convenience because you can do everything through the garage.

No one should have access but occasionally cars are broken into at both. That is one reason I park up top. The lower floors are lower risk to a thief.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We park at the port when sailing Carnival and Fulton when sailing NCL. Both are good with the convenience of not having to even take your own luggage out of your trunk plus very little walking that comes with parking in the terminal for Carnival somewhat offset by higher prices for parking in the terminal. And for those who don't know, parking AT the terminal for Carnival means  parking IN the terminal building.

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

No one should have access but occasionally cars are broken into at both. That is one reason I park up top. The lower floors are lower risk to a thief.

I have not heard of break ins at the port garage. You may be mixing it up with the flat Whale lot where the other cruiselines park and its also parking for the Riverwalk Outlets. Fulton St. is the garage for cruise parking and also the convention center and the restaurants in the area so constant coming and going.

5 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

I have not heard of break ins at the port garage. You may be mixing it up with the flat Whale lot where the other cruiselines park and its also parking for the Riverwalk Outlets. Fulton St. is the garage for cruise parking and also the convention center and the restaurants in the area so constant coming and going.

I parked there for our Christmas cruise and when exiting saw a car that had a window smashed in. The owners were not happy. Merry Christmas.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I parked there for our Christmas cruise and when exiting saw a car that had a window smashed in. The owners were not happy. Merry Christmas.

Sorry to hear that but that's not normal for that garage. 

9 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Unfortunately, the smashing of car windows to rob the cars at the port seems to occur regularly.

Here is an off site port parking facility that is secure and has an excellent reputation for service:

https://www.machupicchutours.com/cruise-ship-parking.html

I don't know about regularly, but it does happen occasionally.

I believe I read (or maybe jut dreamed) that Machu Picchu requires you to leave your car keys with them, which has it's own risks.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Unfortunately, the smashing of car windows to rob the cars at the port seems to occur regularly.

Here is an off site port parking facility that is secure and has an excellent reputation for service:

https://www.machupicchutours.com/cruise-ship-parking.html

We've sailed 39 times on Carnival out of New Orleans, parking in the terminal (not on the roof so as to avoid hail damage), and have never had or seen or heard of (other than someone in this thread) a problem with cars broken into.

We think it is the safest option. When we sail NCL we go with Fulton because the NCL whale lot, which any crook would hit before the logistically challenging terminal, is just an open lot like cruise terminals in other cities have.

Edited by icft
spelling

I also get discount coupons from Airport reservations.com that are good at Fulton. In January, I got a $10 discount on top of the lower price. Normally the coupons are $7. I will say the port deck is nicer. Fulton is older and very tight. New Orleans did have security issues with some of the other surface lot parking. There was an article about cars being broken into with windows smashed.

4 hours ago, ledges1 said:

This is the Whale lot and they did have problems. Then they upped police in the area.

Overflow from the Erato terminal parking ends up there, too.

Before the Erato terminal was built, Fulton was one of the "official" cruise port parking locations. I've parked at most locations.

• Like 1

Why does this say fulton is not for cruise passengers? And with no shuttle?

https://neworleansparking.com/

• Fulton Place Parking - Garage Covered (Overnight)

THIS OPTION IS NOT FOR CRUISE PASSENGERS. This parking lot does not allow in/out privileges. ***Garage clearance is 6 feet 7 inches*** GENERAL INFORMATION: The Fulton Place Parking Garage provides a very clean, safe, and secure parking garage and is attended 24 hours a day. 64 security cameras on property.A printed copy of your reservation receipt is REQUIRED

No shuttle for this parking option. This option is for hotel guests/city parking in the area.

• Type

self
  • Avg Rate

$18.00
  • Sub Total = $18.00

Service Fee = $5.00

Sales Tax = $0.00

Amount Total = $23.00

Pay Online = $23.00

Due at Lot = $0.00

2 hours ago, 4x4TX said:

Why does this say fulton is not for cruise passengers? And with no shuttle?

https://neworleansparking.com/

• Fulton Place Parking - Garage Covered (Overnight)

THIS OPTION IS NOT FOR CRUISE PASSENGERS. This parking lot does not allow in/out privileges. ***Garage clearance is 6 feet 7 inches*** GENERAL INFORMATION: The Fulton Place Parking Garage provides a very clean, safe, and secure parking garage and is attended 24 hours a day. 64 security cameras on property.A printed copy of your reservation receipt is REQUIRED

No shuttle for this parking option. This option is for hotel guests/city parking in the area.

• Type

self
  • Avg Rate

$18.00
  • Sub Total = $18.00

Service Fee = $5.00

Sales Tax = $0.00

Amount Total = $23.00

Pay Online = $23.00

Due at Lot = $0.00

As it says, this is for area hotels for a nightly rate. Perhaps a different level of the garage is used for those. It would make it easier for security 

• Like 1