Star class for dummies

First time star class suite booked for June. 2BR aqua suite on Harmony.   Since we cruise or travel about 5-6 times per year, I won’t be splurging on a star class suite very often. So I need to make this one count and get the most out of it. I’ve read quite a bit here on CC, and I’ve seen the “blog” video for star class suite tips. Does anyone care to share some unique or uncommon perks you have received while staying in a star class suite? We are traveling with 3 generations: kids, parents, and grandparents. All six of us packed into the aqua suite. 

I do have a couple silly questions. 1. I’ve read that to assure favorable times for hibachi, you should book that in the cruise planner and then hope to have it refunded onboard. Is that still a thing? I’m assuming the same up charge for hibachi and chef’s table as the ultimate dining package? 2.  How do you communicate with the genie? Do they just come around every so often or do you call them when you need something like a reservation? 

Congratulations on booking Star Class.  It is definitely a wonderful way to cruise !

1.  I imagine that your Genie (once they contact you.  More about that, later) will advise you to go ahead and book (and pay for) both Chef’s Table and Izumi hibachi (assuming you would want to book either one or both of these), prior to boarding.  With a large group, that will be even more important.  It’s not a question of “hoping” to get reimbursed.  You WILL get reimbursed for anyone who is SC.  For Chef’s Table there is a $25 PP (all those over 21) upcharge that covers the premium wines.  There is no upcharge for SC for Izumi hibachi and it covers not only the teppanyaki menu but you can order anything from the sushi menu at no additional cost.

2.  Approximately 30 days prior to your sailing, the Genie will initiate discussions with you via email.  Eventually you will communicate via WhatsApp.  Sorry, I don’t recall how far out that commences.  I always preferred email so I avoided the app until absolutely necessary.  The Genie will be available to you as much or as little as you want/need him/her.  In general, they will come and see you a couple of times per day at a minimum and randomly check on you during meals or events.  The Genie is absolutely available to you at any hour but they do have “off” hours, which we can all understand and respect.  If you need something, though, they are always there for you.

One comment about WhatsApp.  I have only done 1 SC sailing that involved the use of the app.  All previous sailings had been prior to the use of the app - communications via phone or email.  I will say, our SC experience with the Genie via WhatsApp comm was the worst SC experience we have ever had.  We saw almost nothing of the Genie.  He relied entirely (almost) on impersonal app comm and it really degraded the SC experience.  This could have been a Genie deficiency or just a new policy.  I don’t know which it was, but we have not bothered with SC again, since.  

Maybe the app won’t affect your experience the way it did ours.  I hope not.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Congratulations on booking Star Class.  It is definitely a wonderful way to cruise !

1.  I imagine that your Genie (once they contact you.  More about that, later) will advise you to go ahead and book (and pay for) both Chef’s Table and Izumi hibachi (assuming you would want to book either one or both of these), prior to boarding.  With a large group, that will be even more important.  It’s not a question of “hoping” to get reimbursed.  You WILL get reimbursed for anyone who is SC.  For Chef’s Table there is a $25 PP (all those over 21) upcharge that covers the premium wines.  There is no upcharge for SC for Izumi hibachi and it covers not only the teppanyaki menu but you can order anything from the sushi menu at no additional cost.

2.  Approximately 30 days prior to your sailing, the Genie will initiate discussions with you via email.  Eventually you will communicate via WhatsApp.  Sorry, I don’t recall how far out that commences.  I always preferred email so I avoided the app until absolutely necessary.  The Genie will be available to you as much or as little as you want/need him/her.  In general, they will come and see you a couple of times per day at a minimum and randomly check on you during meals or events.  The Genie is absolutely available to you at any hour but they do have “off” hours, which we can all understand and respect.  If you need something, though, they are always there for you.

One comment about WhatsApp.  I have only done 1 SC sailing that involved the use of the app.  All previous sailings had been prior to the use of the app - communications via phone or email.  I will say, our SC experience with the Genie via WhatsApp comm was the worst SC experience we have ever had.  We saw almost nothing of the Genie.  He relied entirely (almost) on impersonal app comm and it really degraded the SC experience.  This could have been a Genie deficiency or just a new policy.  I don’t know which it was, but we have not bothered with SC again, since.  

Maybe the app won’t affect your experience the way it did ours.  I hope not.

Interesting that you don't like communicating with the genie through the app, my experience has been the opposite. I have found the app to be the most convenient and easiest way to get in touch with genie (and yes, we have cruised in SC prior to the now widespread usage of whatsapp). I think it may have been a bad genie. It does happen. We had a bad one once, but that one was the exception and not the norm. Overall, our genie experience has been fantastic and it has changed our cruise experiences. 

Besides the app, the genie will usually meet you if you have any planned activities they have arranged for you, as well as checking in on you at meals and show reservations. 

The main thing to remember is that they usually have 3-4 other cabins, and with many of the meals and shows at the same time, they have to balance running around to the different venues and groups. 

13 hours ago, RFerrington said:

We just did a 2 br Aquatheater suite on Harmony a few weeks ago, plus other parallels, so I’ll add a few comments.

First I’ll agree with Raye to some degree.  We have done Star Class before and after the App communication was more common post shut down.  It is definitely different.  It is more convenient but I do feel it takes away from the experience to some degree.

Not sure which deck you are on but hopefully you are on 8 or 9.  10 is fine for a group but the right mix will be necessary since it is the smallest of the two bedroom Aqua Theater Suites.

Agree to book whatever you want specific days or times for but whatever you can allow to be handled by the genie will be beneficial.  Especially if you let them setup shows, then they can coordinate dinners and showtimes.  Don’t worry about the credits from the pre-booked dining they will handle it.

We did a 2022 cruise in the Royal Loft Suite with 3 generations and it worked well.  There may need to be some agreement between everyone but most gongs work out well, especially if you do the shows.

i’m happy to answer specific questions if you want to direct message or post here. I can even share specifics about our genie if that might be the same genie you get assigned.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, I Love RCI said:

Interesting that you don't like communicating with the genie through the app, my experience has been the opposite. I have found the app to be the most convenient and easiest way to get in touch with genie

I actually agree with you about this.  The app is a better way to comm with the Genie onboard.  I hated that the Genie used it interact with us rather than in person.  We do not take our phones with us when we leave the suite so we often missed his comm altogether or saw it much too late to react.

I also agree that it was a “Genie” problem. It was a Genie that others rave about but it was our worst experience out of the 8 SC cruises we’ve taken.

12 minutes ago, wdwkings said:

We have done Star Class before and after the App communication was more common post shut down.  It is definitely different.  It is more convenient but I do feel it takes away from the experience to some degree.

^^. This, exactly. ^^

I found that the kids loved utilizing the app to communicate, and much preferred it.  We had the option of calling as well, but would also have a standing starbucks coffee delivery in the morning, and snacks (sushi, sweets) in the mid afternoon so we could check in face to face as well.  Certainly if you prefer more of a personal touch, let your genie know!  I think a previous poster's poor experience was genie specific -- we saw our genie at least half a dozen times a day.

Prior to the cruise we all let our genie know our soft drink / juice / snack preferences, and these all made it on the ship.  These were things not available on the ship somehow found their way into our suite (things like diet mountain dew, orange fanta, applesauce in pouches for the young kids, granola bars, specific beers).

We enjoyed the musical Grease so much we had dinner with some of the cast one night and was able to get on stage and dance on Greased Lightning (the car) for some pictures, as well as pictures with the entire cast after the last show for the week (arranged by the Genie).

If you've ever wanted to see "behind the scenes" of a specific department of the cruise, or meet any of the cruise staff, they will try hard to make it happen for you.

Have a great time!

• Like 4

Drop off and pickup at adventure ocean is always such a headache. If the genie can fix that then we will be hooked on star class. That and embarkation/debarkation. Those are the pain points for us. Reserved seating for shows is ok but sometimes we prefer to sit in the cheap seats. 

1 hour ago, Dan83 said:

Drop off and pickup at adventure ocean is always such a headache. If the genie can fix that then we will be hooked on star class. That and embarkation/debarkation. Those are the pain points for us. Reserved seating for shows is ok but sometimes we prefer to sit in the cheap seats. 

If you want to sit in the cheap seats, the Genie can do that.  Just let him/her know where you want to sit.

10 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

If you want to sit in the cheap seats, the Genie can do that.  Just let him/her know where you want to sit.

We did Star Class once. We said that our favorite seats were the ones right behind the ledge on upper tier of the main floor, and that's exactly where he reserved them with popcorn and drinks waiting for us. 🙂 

image.png.fe961ad36b2cb8968d78543e55d7a354.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SEA DOGY said:

Does anybody know if Sky class passengers have priority boarding?

Perhaps a very slight one if you are at port before embarkation starts. You may have a dedicated Suite line for check in, depending on port.

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Perhaps a very slight one if you are at port before embarkation starts. You may have a dedicated Suite line for check in, depending on port.

Got it thanks 

On 3/1/2024 at 11:27 AM, wdwkings said:

We just did a 2 br Aquatheater suite on Harmony a few weeks ago, plus other parallels, so I’ll add a few comments.

First I’ll agree with Raye to some degree.  We have done Star Class before and after the App communication was more common post shut down.  It is definitely different.  It is more convenient but I do feel it takes away from the experience to some degree.

Not sure which deck you are on but hopefully you are on 8 or 9.  10 is fine for a group but the right mix will be necessary since it is the smallest of the two bedroom Aqua Theater Suites.

Agree to book whatever you want specific days or times for but whatever you can allow to be handled by the genie will be beneficial.  Especially if you let them setup shows, then they can coordinate dinners and showtimes.  Don’t worry about the credits from the pre-booked dining they will handle it.

We did a 2022 cruise in the Royal Loft Suite with 3 generations and it worked well.  There may need to be some agreement between everyone but most gongs work out well, especially if you do the shows.

i’m happy to answer specific questions if you want to direct message or post here. I can even share specifics about our genie if that might be the same genie you get assigned.

Who did you have as a genie? We have Francisco in 2 week and I heard he was new, so looking for feedback if you have any. Our 3rd Star class in a 2 bed aqua deck 8.Thanks!

On 3/1/2024 at 11:59 AM, neurosurg said:

I found that the kids loved utilizing the app to communicate, and much preferred it.  We had the option of calling as well, but would also have a standing starbucks coffee delivery in the morning, and snacks (sushi, sweets) in the mid afternoon so we could check in face to face as well.  Certainly if you prefer more of a personal touch, let your genie know!  I think a previous poster's poor experience was genie specific -- we saw our genie at least half a dozen times a day.

Prior to the cruise we all let our genie know our soft drink / juice / snack preferences, and these all made it on the ship.  These were things not available on the ship somehow found their way into our suite (things like diet mountain dew, orange fanta, applesauce in pouches for the young kids, granola bars, specific beers).

We enjoyed the musical Grease so much we had dinner with some of the cast one night and was able to get on stage and dance on Greased Lightning (the car) for some pictures, as well as pictures with the entire cast after the last show for the week (arranged by the Genie).

If you've ever wanted to see "behind the scenes" of a specific department of the cruise, or meet any of the cruise staff, they will try hard to make it happen for you.

Have a great time!

WOW, who was your genie on Harmony? We go in 2 weeks and Have Francisco. 3rd time in the 2 bed aqua, my favorite cabin on the ship!

On 3/4/2024 at 1:09 AM, Krazyfuntimes said:

Who did you have as a genie? We have Francisco in 2 week and I heard he was new, so looking for feedback if you have any. Our 3rd Star class in a 2 bed aqua deck 8.Thanks!

We had MJ (Mangesh) who was a former concierge host I believe.  Sorry can’t give any further feedback.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 12:15 AM, SEA DOGY said:

Hello 

dos any body knows if Sky class passengers have priority boarding 

TIA

The original poster was doing Harmony out of Galveston.  Is that your port also?  

The reason I ask is every port is a little different, but the trend for Royal lately is that boarding is relatively quick.  We arrived a little earlier than planned at Galveston and even though we were star class and had “priority boarding” they were already on boarding group 3 by the time we were walking on the ship

This thread is very helpful as we are sailing in our first Star Class on Symphony in June.  Hopefully, we get a good Genie, and our experience is one to remember!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wdwkings said:

The original poster was doing Harmony out of Galveston.  Is that your port also?  

The reason I ask is every port is a little different, but the trend for Royal lately is that boarding is relatively quick.  We arrived a little earlier than planned at Galveston and even though we were star class and had “priority boarding” they were already on boarding group 3 by the time we were walking on the ship

We are boarding in Southampton UK

50 minutes ago, mchin said:

This thread is very helpful as we are sailing in our first Star Class on Symphony in June.  Hopefully, we get a good Genie, and our experience is one to remember!

Fingers cross we are doing Anthem of the Seas. O.S Sky Class NO. Genie No Butler 

Don  really know what we are up against …lol. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've done one Star class pre-covid and one post covid, with one coming up in October out of Galveston.

I personally preferred the WhatsApp communication and definitely saw more of our Genie - he was able to easily track us down and deal with changes in our plans. Every morning he'd message us a good morning with the intended itinerary and we could make changes and tweaks. He met us at each of our on ship meals, as well as any other activities like the escape room or shows.

We had a wonderful bridge tour on the first sailing, but bridge tours were not re-opened for my second sailing. This time, my daughter will be old enough to join us and I'm looking forward to requesting as many behind the scenes tours as they will allow.

Some notes, for getting the most - anything you can ask in advance, it's easier for them to say yes. If you say "I want a special cake tonight" it's gonna be hard for them to accommodate. But if you let them know ahead of time that you love cake and have a special celebration on day 3 of your sailing? Probably gonna try to find a way to surprise you. The more you communicate your preferences and the more advance warning you provide - the more they will be able to do for you.

Personally, I do all of the planning and logistics for our family. So what I love about the Star experience is that I can just let the Genie handle everything. I don't particularly care about hibachi - so I won't make an effort to reserve it. But if the Genie has a spot? Sure we'll go with the flow. So far we have 6 in our Aqua Theater suite, but we may add 2 more. We'll be a full room and ready to have a blast - but I won't have to plan for all 8 people. And that's the real treat for me.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

These posts have all been really helpful and informative!!

My husband is turning 60, and to celebrate, we are bringing family with us… 8 of us will be in the 2 bdrm aqua suite on the Symphony.

Three others will be assigned to a grand suite. One is a non-drinker with a strict diet. The other two will be 28 months old and 19 months old at sailing.

I will ask for a cake for my husbands birthday. The one pictured was amazing!

Edited by Julie_Anne
  • Like 1

Have a great Birthday. I will be celebrating the big 60 in May on a 9th floor Aqua Suite on Symphony. Also, a 3 Gen vacation. absolutely the best. Don't worry if you don't hear from your genie until a week or two out. He will be on top of everything. Last year we did not book the Hibachi or chefs table and he made it happen, i think it is harder to get Izumi dinner reservations. Whats app works great, and the genie seems to show up exactly when you need them.

• Like 1