Ship self-serve laundry -- quarters or tokens?

I am sure that in the past Princess ships used quarters for their machines, because I was on a ship where there was a quarter shortage. My next cruise I brought a couple of rolls of quarters and I had people drooling over them. But I have seen posts where people make reference to "tokens." Have they done away with quarters?

51 minutes ago, Mississippian said:

I am sure that in the past Princess ships used quarters for their machines, because I was on a ship where there was a quarter shortage. My next cruise I brought a couple of rolls of quarters and I had people drooling over them. But I have seen posts where people make reference to "tokens." Have they done away with quarters?

One token in place of perhaps 8 quarters. Much easier! Use your quarters for tips. 🤣

12 minutes ago, Teechur said:

One token in place of perhaps 8 quarters. Much easier! Use your quarters for tips. 🤣

Oh, I'm glad. The machines were always out of quarters. I hope they won't be out of tokens!

As for quarter tips, not sure how much they would be appreciated.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mississippian said:

Tokens are available from machines in the laundry rooms by tapping your medallion to pay. Each token is $3 (same in USD or AUD). There are also tokens available at $3 for detergent and fabric softener. 

• Thanks 1

No quarters used and I've been on all except the Discovery and the Sun.  I must have been one of the unlucky ones as I have had to use tokens for all the machines no matter the ship.  Even when the token machines were broke and I went to Gust Services I paid for the  tokens.  Tokens are $3 each and it is one per wash and one per dry.  I bring my own detergent/dryer sheet - tokens are $1.50 per item - I think.  Maybe one day I will get on a ship with free laundry machines.

3 hours ago, TRLD said:

have not seen any Princess ships use quarters for the laundry for many years.

But at one time the tokens were the exact size as quarters and you could make them work. I believe they have rectified this. On the Crown and the Emerald there were no tokens needed except for detergent. Going on the Ruby next month and we will see. We carry our own detergent sheets

Washing and drying was free for the last week as the token machine was empty or broken for 2 days.  Guest relations handed out tokens.

We always bring a few laundry pods as the powdered detergent left white residue.  Easy to put in checked bags inside a baggie.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gail & Dan said:

I thought the machines were $3 each and $1.50 for detergent or free detergent if you use the app ?

My mistake. The detergent tokens may be a different price than the tokens used for the washers and dryers. I don’t know any way to order detergent from the app. It’s not an option in Ocean Now.

16 hours ago, Torfamm said:

My mistake. The detergent tokens may be a different price than the tokens used for the washers and dryers. I don’t know any way to order detergent from the app. It’s not an option in Ocean Now.

you could be right I am Going on memory LOL 

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Discovery Princess.   No token machines were in the self service laundry room so I went to Guest Services to purchase the tokens.   No need.  On the Discovery Princess, they do not charge now for the self service laundry.  Not sure if this was for a specific time period, but, we are Elite - sent our laundry out once with a 28 hour turnaround time.  Did our own laundry for free in the self service for the rest of the cruise.  We only did carry on because we have the Elite status and always send out our laundry.

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Cedric35 said:

Agree. Currently on Discovery and the washers and dryers are free. The mechanism to accept tokens is not even installed. 

It varies ship to ship we have been on the Discovery and Crown recently and machines were free but on the Crown you had to get tokens for detergent. We travel with detergent sheets so it was free for us. We sail in 2 weeks on the Ruby and will see what happens there 

They use tokens, except for Discovery, where it's free all the time. After restart, Majestic just left bins of tokens out, because they didn't want to keep stocking token machines. If you're Elite, you can ask the front desk for tokens for free, and keep them for future cruises. 

1 hour ago, rj59 said:

They use tokens, except for Discovery, where it's free all the time. After restart, Majestic just left bins of tokens out, because they didn't want to keep stocking token machines. If you're Elite, you can ask the front desk for tokens for free, and keep them for future cruises. 

Crown did not need tokens for washing or drying on my last 2 cruises