Early Morning Coffee Nieuw Statendam

Posted (edited)

My DW and I will be joining Nieuw Statendam in  Fort Lauderdale on April 7 for the 14 day repositioning transatlantic crossing.

We're both really looking forward to this adventure. It's been years since we've been on HAL. We really enjoyed Eurodam at that time.  Most of our recent cruising has been on NCL and we're looking forward to a lot of the little niceties on HAL again.

Unfortunately, after many, many years of the daily grind, I'm physically unable to sleep beyond 4:30 or 5am. When I wake up at this time, I like to get out of the cabin and allow my DW to sleep like a normal person.  Where on Nieuw Statendam can I go to have a quiet coffee and maybe a pastry very early in the morning?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Edited by PitCritter

Posted (edited)

The Buffet is about the only place I can think of. The Dutch Cafe does not open till 6:30 AM.

One thing you can do is get a few cups, lids, and sleeves from the Dutch Cafe or Crowsnest Bar to keep in your room, and go to the buffet get your coffee and return to your room without drama.

Edited by L454S

I just got off a two week cruise on Nieuw Statendam and I, like you, want my coffee EARLY! 🙂  There is 24 hour coffee available at the Lido, however, I am a bit of a coffee snob and don't really like that coffee (you might, others say it's fine), so what I did was order room service coffee to be delivered at 5:30 each morning.  They delivered a pot-full of the coffee they brew by the pot (the same coffee you get in the dining room or specialty restaurants when you do not order espresso drinks).  Pastries can be ordered with it of course.  I usually drank my first cup in the cabin and at around 6 took the pot with me to the sea view pool and watched the sunrise while drinking another cup.  The Grand Dutch cafe opens at 6:30 and they have reasonably good espresso.  The Explorations Cafe in the Crows Nest opens at 7.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PitCritter said:

The buffet has coffee 24/7?

Yes.  But not pastries - just coffee.  If you want pastries you can get them from room service.

I just realized I read your original post too quickly... and room service will not work for you, since you don't want to wake your wife, so yes, the Lido coffee is your only choice at that hour, and as said, nothing to eat until around 6:30.

Thank you for the replies.  A standard coffee at the Lido will do fine until I can get an Americano at then Grand Dutch Cafe.  I always travel with an insulated mug anyway.

The sunrise suggestion sounds good too!

• Like 2

Morning raisin buns from the breakfast buffet probably will hold over to the next early morning in your cabin, and at least be good for nice early AM nibble. Love them.  Or pack in some energy breakfast bars on your own. 

Posted (edited)

Although Explorations Cafe hours are posted as opening 7am, Nov & Dec we found they frequently serve earlier. When we asked, we were told they would serve as early as 6:30, so you could check.

Also, my experience is room service delivery crew knock is really more of a quiet tap - I had to be awake so I wouldn't miss them. And cabinmate always slept through the knock/tap. But your DW would likely hear the phone if you're the lucky recipient of a QA call.😒

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

Cookies are always available to pick up the day before and keep well for an early morning nibble.

I think bringing your own French Press and using the 24/7 Lido hot water is the best idea to get the best cup of coffee.  - with cookies from either  the Lido ice cream station or the Dutch Cafe. 

Or late evening room service before you go to bed, for coffee and snack to pour into your own thermos to hold until the next morning. 

• Like 1

Moriah, I share your disdain of the coffee that is from the "coffee machine" (read concentrated coffee with hot water added to give it some warmth).  Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'll bring my air press which I take camping. It's plastic and smaller than a water bottle. YAY! Another problem solved.

48 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

Moriah, I share your disdain of the coffee that is from the "coffee machine" (read concentrated coffee with hot water added to give it some warmth).  Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'll bring my air press which I take camping. It's plastic and smaller than a water bottle. YAY! Another problem solved.

Thanks for the tip on the "air press". DH loves to pack a French Press himself when traveling so this looks like a good up-coming B-day present for him.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/aeropress-coffee-maker/?catalogId=79&sku=724356&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=MSN&cm_pla=Electrics > Coffee Makers&adlclid=c9b111cc7d9f18a740cd74265c851a64&cm_ite=724356_458012898&msclkid=c9b111cc7d9f18a740cd74265c851a64

But he also actually likes the Lido coffee, though he is very finicky about his coffees and he still has the beans sent in from Chiapas, Mexico after a shore excursion to Finca Argovia -his very favorite coffee. Next was Shade Lady beans, from Costa Rica - another port stop.  

I just love hearing about other coffee connoisseurs. At one time I would buy raw beans  roast them in an air corn popper, grind them, and do a Melitta drip cone. The air press needs a little experimentation regarding the optimal heat of the water as well as steeping time but you can't beat it for portability and ease of cleaning up after use. It ejects a compressed wafer of coffee grounds. (Too bad we can't take immersion heaters on board.)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Roasting beans in a corn  popper??? -- that is certainly one for the record books, ME.

It has been fun taking coffee plantation shore excursions from various Central America ports, and even visiting "Juan Valdez" at home in San Martin, Columbia.

Finca Argovia from the Tapachula, Puerto Chiapas is our favorite - beautiful plantation and hideaway spa hotel after the world's worst bus ride across gullies and pot holes to get there. But through gorgeous,  tropical  countryside.   https://www.argovia.com.mx    (In Spanish, but the pictures tell the story)

Edited by OlsSalt

This is worth a try.  Phone roomservice and ask to bring the coffee to where ever you plan to sit, eg lido. There is a phone on the bar in the crowsnest. Phone from there and enjoy the coffee and the view.

• Like 1

Aloha. Like you and other posters I enjoy getting up early like 4:30 while the Mrs and years ago the rest of the family sleeps. Even though I am retired its a great quite time to have coffee and a a little nosh and read the papers. Since each ship, port, hotel, etc is different I scout the scene but in many instances will save something to have with my am coffee. I do bring my favorite insulated mug so I can have a few cups in peace and tranquility generally outdoors. You post an interesting issue so I look forward to your thoughts and experiences as well as others. Thank you!

17 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

If you happen to be in a Neptune Suite I think you can get to the coffee machines in the Concierge Lounge, but I don't know what time those doors unlock.

The concierge lounge isn’t open at 5 a.m.  Earliest, IIRC, is 7 a.m. on port days.

Except for the issue of not wanting to awaken the spouse, a Neptune Suite cruiser can make coffee with their own private Nespresso machine. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

If you happen to be in a Neptune Suite I think you can get to the coffee machines in the Concierge Lounge, but I don't know what time those doors unlock.

Not until 7 am.  But the Neptune suites do have a coffee maker in the room 

I bring the little Starbucks sachets of instant coffee and use the hot water in the Lido.  The coffee from the sachet is better than Lido coffee and you have more control of the strength.

• Like 2