Price comparison between Celebrity and Regent?

Posted (edited)

@Zitsky,

Before recently booking a Regent Grandeur cruise, I compared it with the Celebrity Ascent. Both are new ships sailing in the Caribbean February 2026 with overlapping dates.  I had a two category suite upgrade during the Regent promotion last month.  I stripped out the included Air and hotel for calculation since I won't be using them.  I priced a Regent Concierge.Suite but booked a Penthouse Suite for the same price. I also prefer 14 day cruises which Regent offered to the Southern Caribbean but Celebrity only had an 11 day sailing. Celebrity used to offer a lot  of 14 day cruises which I booked often.  While the Regent sailing has the ABCs which I wanted, Celebrity doesn't go there on their longer cruise itinerary.

The Regent Penthouse is 561-644 Ft2. The Celebrity Ascent Celebrity Suite is 501 Ft2 and the Royal Suite is 759 Ft2 . Since the CS is priced much lower than the RS and the Regent Penthouse Ft2 falls between the two Celebrity, I used the CS size for price comparison.  I also included the cost of gratuities on the Celebrity booking since Regent includes that. Both include Butler, WiFi and premium drinks.  Celebrity includes Luminae but no specialty restaurants.  I've eaten in Luminae; wasn't impressed but was bored with the offerings.The Regent MD, Compass Rose. is (IMO) far superior even with their every day menu of USDA Prime steaks and a wide seafood assortment. Then there are three Regent Specialty restaurants included in every reservation.

The regent bonus' are: included excursions in every port, daily valet laundry returned same day, 746 pax vs. Ascent's 3,260 pax, and a pax to crew ratio of 1.37 vs. Ascent's ratio of 2.32

I prefer more intimate personalized service regardless of which suite you're in since Regent's whole ship is only suites. Therefore the whole ship is the Retreat.

After all that, Regent was still priced $52 pp/pn lower than the Celebrity Suite for the larger Regent Ft2suite.

And that is why I booked Regent over Celebrity for this cruise. Regent was the better itinerary and value to me. YMMV.  However I've found the best time to snatch a booking's best price is when they first release the itineraries.

As a side note: I've taken the air credit on our previous three Regent cruises.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 6

Let me comment on the butler situation. On Regent the room stewards have fewer rooms and more duties than on Celebrity. The stewards on Regent do everything a butler on Celebrity does. I’ve cruised the Retreat on Celebrity and Regent in non-butler suites. And every Regent suite has included use of the mini fridge contents of soft drinks and beer (replenished) and spirits and wine are provided to all suites. I believe only the Royal Suites and above on Celebrity have this inclusion. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Let me comment on the butler situation. On Regent the room stewards have fewer rooms and more duties than on Celebrity. The stewards on Regent do everything a butler on Celebrity does. I’ve cruised the Retreat on Celebrity and Regent in non-butler suites. And every Regent suite has included use of the mini fridge contents of soft drinks and beer (replenished) and spirits and wine are provided to all suites. I believe only the Royal Suites and above on Celebrity have this inclusion. 

I believe you're correct.  What I like about Regent's bar set up is that you request two of your preferred liquor brands. They deliver in liter sizes. Plus they replenish them should you drink the bottle empty. Last cruise I requested three...Walker Black, Grey Goose and Seagrams VO.Not a problem.

Their aluminum refillable water bottles are a nice touch too as a bring on excursions and take home.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Posted (edited)

For those who consider food important to their cruise experience as I do, I've attached a sample of Regent's Main Dinning Room, Compass Rose, every day menu. You want lobster, Dover Sole or scallops every night without an up charge? How about a Filet or Veal Medallion? No problem!

Then there's the specialty entree menu which changes daily.

If you download the attached pic, you should be able to enlarge it.

https://www.rssc.com/experience/cuisine/compass-rose

Compass Rose Sample menu.png

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

I think that valet laundry service is no longer returned same day. Not sure what the turn around time is these days…..

Also, I’m not impressed with the Regent aluminum water bottles; they are not insulated and sweat if you put cold drinks in it. Loses its chill quickly. 

I love Regent!

9 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I think that valet laundry service is no longer returned same day. Not sure what the turn around time is these days…..

Also, I’m not impressed with the Regent aluminum water bottles; they are not insulated and sweat if you put cold drinks in it. Loses its chill quickly. 

I love Regent!

On the Mariner the laundry came back by the end of the day if you had it ready before 9 AM.  Agree with you regarding those water bottles.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Yeah they do if cold liquid. That's why I put them in a koozie. 😎

6 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

What's a koozie? I normally take my own well  insulated bottles.

It's a promotional insulated beverage (bottle or can) holder; usually made of neoprene with a printed company's logo handed out for free.It's supposed to keep the bottle/can cold.  In Australia it might be referred to as “stubby holder”.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. We have a few old stubby holders but none the right size so I'll just bring the bottle. In Morocco and the end of a full day tour it still had ice in it. 

• 2 weeks later...

On Splendor this past Dec/Jan in F1 (no butler), if we got our laundry out before the evening turndown, it was always back the next evening with the turndown service.  If we got it out just after dinner (we usually ate at 6:30) or the next morning, it came back 2 nights later with evening turndown.  The only time it came back just under 24 hours was when DH had his sport coat dry cleaned.  Our room steward came rushing to our room with it at almost exactly 6:30, because he knew (without being told) that DH would want to wear it to dinner.  THAT is Regent service!!

• Like 4