Price comparison between Celebrity and Regent?

Posted (edited)

Over on the Celebrity forum, they tell me that Regent is less expensive.  Many people saying that book suites.  I did a comparison with a veranda cabin.  I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing.  I know some Regent fares are all inclusive.  Here is what I found on just one comparison.

I recently had a quote from Regent on a similar itinerary for a Penthouse suite (very different) at around $49,000 total.

Like to like comparison between Celebrity and Regent

April 2025

12 day Japan cruise Tokyo roundtrip

Celebrity Aqua class cabin             202 sq ft + 42 sq ft balcony

Cabin only $9,000, Business class flight $9000

Total $18,000 + maybe $3,000 for excursions = $21,000

Regent Veranda Suite H                 307 sq ft

Cabin only $21,798, with airfare $34,398

I based flight info for Celebrity on my own recent experience booking Business class on JAL.  Even if you add $3,000 for excursions the Celebrity total price only comes out to $21,000 for Aqua class and business air compared to Regent at $34,398.

So I don't see how Regent is less expensive?  What am I missing?  I see something about a credit if you book your own flights?  How does that work?  I would think you just pay out of pocket?

Edited by zitsky

In this one case, Regent is more expensive.  To compare Celebrity Aqua class to any Regent cabin is disingenuous.  Try pricing a Celebrity Sky suite.

I can find lots of examples where Regent is $700-1000 pp/pd - ALL INCLUSIVE.

Celebrity Sky suites are sometimes less, sometimes the same price (pp/pd) but don't include tips/tours/airfare (business class)

Frankly, you're not trying hard, or you're biased.  I have cruised both lines and there is not really a comparison. (Regent wins)

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Nachosdelux said:

In this one case, Regent is more expensive.  To compare Celebrity Aqua class to any Regent cabin is disingenuous.  Try pricing a Celebrity Sky suite.

I can find lots of examples where Regent is $700-1000 pp/pd - ALL INCLUSIVE.

Celebrity Sky suites are sometimes less, sometimes the same price (pp/pd) but don't include tips/tours/airfare (business class)

Frankly, you're not trying hard, or you're biased.  I have cruised both lines and there is not really a comparison. (Regent wins)

How do you compare a Sky Suite to Regent?  What do you compare it to?  I mistakenly thought I should compare suites with a butler which gave me the quote for $49,000 for a Penthouse Suite on Regent.

I can tell you for a Celebrity Sky Suite for a 12 day cruise Bali to Singapore in December 2024 I am paying $14,500 total for a Sky Suite plus $9,000 total for business class RDU-JFK-HND-SIN (plus $500 SIN-DPS) for a total of two passengers.

Thank you.

Edited by zitsky

Posted (edited)

Regent's smallest room (on the newer ships) is similar in size and benefits to a Sky Suite.  

Using the butler as the comparator is not realistic - service in the basic room (and the entire ship) is excellent and (IMO) butler service is not missed.

If that were your measure, then you could not compare Seaborne cruise line to Celebrity, as they do not have butlers.  

If having a butler is the most important factor, then yes, Regent would be more expensive for the cheapest room that has one.

Edited by Nachosdelux
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nachosdelux said:

Regent's smallest room (on the newer ships) is similar in size and benefits to a Sky Suite.  

Using the butler as the comparator is not realistic - service in the basic room (and the entire ship) is excellent and (IMO) butler service is not missed.

If that were your measure, then you could not compare Seaborne cruise line to Celebrity, as they do not have butlers.  

If having a butler is the most important factor, then yes, Regent would be more expensive for the cheapest room that has one.

A butler is a non-issue for us. There is nothing they can do that we cannot do ourselves at this point. We typical take a basic room and deviate the air for a direct flight to the embarkation area 1- 2 weeks ahead of time to add more vacation onto the air Regent provides.

• Like 2

I appreciate the comments and advice.  You say “I don’t need a butler, I do everything myself.”  But I could equally say “we don’t book cruises”.  We can plan our travel ourselves.  

The benefit of Celebrity is the butler in suites.  Yes after being in an Aqua cabin on Celebrity it’s nice to have one contact for everything.  We didn’t ask for unpacking or a bubble bath but I liked seeing the same face.  And no I don’t want my stateroom attendant to do everything.

I sailed Celebrity exclusively for 12 years. The last half were in Retreat/suites class. My last three cruises were on Regent, and I'm leaving again in three weeks. I moved because the Sky Suite pricing was FAR more on my first cruise than Regent. It was more even if you didn't include shore excursions air, the transfers, pre-night hotel, in suite bar, and specialty dining. With all of those things it wasn't even close.

I think the service in a standard regent room is as good as a sky suite with a butler. I think a standard room on Regent is a fair comparison to Sjy Suites as a result. Regent butlers will arrange even more things, far more than Celebrity butlers ever did. If you want to compare a Penthouse on Regent I would likely say it is somewhere between a Celebrity Suite and a Royal Suite on Celebrity from a space and amenities level. But Regent is a nicer experience even before Celebrity recently made service reductions.

Posted (edited)

Having done a 14 night Tokyo to Bangkok cruise on the Regent Explorer in a S1 suite in November 2023 we paid £10,743 for 2 including an overnight in Tokyo, LHR to Haneda and Bangkok to Manchester flights. Not business class as that is only offered as an upgrade in the UK so our cruise and flights were less than just your Sky suite alone and also the Aqua class if you figure in the excursion costs on celebrity (and 2 more days of joy 😜)

like everything in cruising life it depends when you book, what country you live in and what deals are available 😜

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 1

How are you getting $9k for business class tickets from RDU to Tokyo?  Is that a Celebrity offer?  RDU to Tokyo business class is usually more like 6K each at best, often 7-8k each.  RDU isn't in the Regent Air Program, they will give you a 12+K credit if you make your own air arrangements (&transfers).

https://www.rssc.com/experience/customize-your-journey/air-program 

I'm not that familiar with Celebrity but have priced them out a few times and I always use the lower level retreat level vs the Superior Suite.  That will probably add 6k.  Also I always use $400-500 a day for excursions.  We usually compare Regent, SS and Seabourn.  In many cases (apples to apples) Regent is the most expensive of the three.

Regent is truly "all inclusive".  Unless you want higher end wines & excursions or spa treatments when you get off a Regent cruise you won't owe them a dime. 

Posted (edited)

I can see the cabin category on the website.  But when folks say “compare Celebrity ABC to a STANDARD Regent cabin, well, what is standard?

As to how I paid $4500 for round trip business class RDU-SIN on AA/JAL, well I booked directly with JAL.  For travel in Dec/Jan.  I compared all the airlines.  My husband kept saying “wait a few months I’m busy with taxes”.  So I waited a few weeks until he said “ok I’m done and your job is project management.  Maybe I should ‘allow’ you to book the flights now.”  (Before they go back to $6000 pp.). 🙄

The best part is it looks like we paid for the old 777-300ER from JFK-HND and we may be getting the new A350-1000.

Edited by zitsky

I ended up on this page because I started planning future cruises and it looks to me like Regent IS less expensive than either Celebrity retreat or NCL haven when comparing Room benefits. I’m still looking, double looking and triple looking to see what it is I’m missing that makes this possible. 

I really enjoyed my Haven experience but I can’t see how it’s actually worth more than what I see with Regent and etc. I wrote it off when I planned my last cruise I just took because I just assumed it wasn’t near the same price. Wish that I had looked into “what you get” with each at the time. 

9 minutes ago, Andy0215 said:

I ended up on this page because I started planning future cruises and it looks to me like Regent IS less expensive than either Celebrity retreat or NCL haven when comparing Room benefits. I’m still looking, double looking and triple looking to see what it is I’m missing that makes this possible. 

I really enjoyed my Haven experience but I can’t see how it’s actually worth more than what I see with Regent and etc. I wrote it off when I planned my last cruise I just took because I just assumed it wasn’t near the same price. Wish that I had looked into “what you get” with each at the time. 

Could you please tell me what cabin you are looking at on Regent and what cabin on other cruise lines?

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I can see the cabin category on the website.  But when folks say “compare Celebrity ABC to a STANDARD Regent cabin, well, what is standard?

As to how I paid $4500 for round trip business class RDU-SIN on AA/JAL, well I booked directly with JAL.  For travel in Dec/Jan.  I compared all the airlines.  My husband kept saying “wait a few months I’m busy with taxes”.  So I waited a few weeks until he said “ok I’m done and your job is project management.  Maybe I should ‘allow’ you to book the flights now.”  (Before they go back to $6000 pp.). 🙄

The best part is it looks like we paid for the old 777-300ER from JFK-HND and we may be getting the new A350-1000.

Well I said RDU to Tokyo not SIN and RDU to Tokyo on JAL is ~6/7K.  Also there are no Celebrity and  Regent cruises in December/January to Japan.  Finally in my opinion comparing a Aqua suite to a Regent Veranda is like comparing a Hilton to a Four Seasons. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Well I said RDU to Tokyo not SIN and RDU to Tokyo on JAL is ~6/7K.  Also there are no Celebrity and  Regent cruises in December/January to Japan.  Finally in my opinion comparing a Aqua suite to a Regent Veranda is like comparing a Hilton to a Four Seasons. 

What do you suggest I compare between Celebrity and Regent?

I paid $4500 pp for business class RDU-HND-SIN.  I do not know the cruise schedule in Japan in December.  I’m cruising Bali to Singapore.  If you do not believe a random stranger, please give me your phone number and I will have the CEO of Japan Airlines call you.

I’m not an expert on cruise prices but I have done enough research on flights to know a good deal when I see it.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Could you please tell me what cabin you are looking at on Regent and what cabin on other cruise lines?

This is for a sailing on Dec 6 2024. I was looking for something around the holidays.

Regent Granduer

7 nights from Miami 

“standard” Caribbean ports (costa Maya, Belize, Roatan and Cozumel)

concierge suite, 400-500 sq ft room

no flights included in pricing. This also gees me spa use, complete drink package and overnight stay/transfers, laundry service, unlimited wifi and prepaid gratuities.

Total price at one of the large box TA’s (I have never used one just trying to find one to be honest.)

$10,498 taxes, fees and etc all in with an extra $500 OBC added from the box TA

NCL Jade

7 nights from Miami

almost same itinerary (costa Maya, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel) just different order

penthouse suite 450 sq ft

no flights included and their “free” at sea program

$10,318 at same place with $800 OBC. 

this does NOT include access to spa, only a $50 credit for shore excursions and basic beverage package. To compare daily we would need to upgrade beverages and WiFi $349PP and add spa access for the week $299PP for a total of $1296 additional. Let’s assume we used the OBC for that so that leaves us adding ($1296-$800= $496) to the total

Now for shore excursions. You would have $50 PP credit for them with the NCL packages. Let’s assume you did basic minimum excursions of $99PP at each port. That’s an additional cost ($198-100=$98x4= &392) at 4 ports.

One more thing NCL will add is Daily Service charges which amounts to $20PP per day. So $280

Add all that up and you are at $11,491 with $0 OBC because you spent it all noted above to try to match amenities.

You have a private restaurant (which is good) that serves the same meals every single night. You get 2 specialty dining vouchers but can get again spend more to add more. You are also on the hook for a hotel and getting to/from the cruise port which would be an additional $200 min. 

So at the end of the day I’m seeing about $12,000 for NCL and not even accounting for the OBC about $10,500 for Regent. 

Celebrity Reflection

6 nights from Ft Lauderdale Fl

caribbean (Cozumel, Cayman, Bimini) not as good of itinerary and shorter

Celebrity Suite closest in size and perks at 499 sq. Ft

no flights and refundable deposit to equal others and prepaid gratuities 

$9286.42 at same box TA with $195 OBC.

Im not as familiar with Celebrity and their packages as I’ve never sailed with them. However I can find $399 couple passes.

I don’t see any shore excursion credit so let’s assume the same costs as I listed above of $99PP per day. Only 3 ports adds $600

Im unsure of their drink package. If it’s comparable but for the sake of argument I will say it’s the same as well as dining. 

Add the bare min $200 for a pre cruise hotel and transfers and you are adding $1200 to your cost. Subtract your OBC and it’s $1000.

So I’m seeing $10286 for only 6 nights on Celebrity with a less exciting itinerary having to go to Bimini Bahamas. 

I feel that’s the fairest comparison I can do based on room sizes and amenities across the three options. 

Experienced Regent travelers please tell me if I’m seeing anything wrong here. 

Recap:
Regent $10,500

NCL Haven $12,000

Celebrity Retreat $10,300 for 6 nights

Edited by Andy0215
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Your OP compared Tokyo cruises in April 2025 with business class tickets and now you are talking about $4500 flights to Singapore in December.  Considering we live in the Raleigh area and have flown business class to Tokyo for a Regent cruise I was just trying to help.  That'll learn me.

Edited by RetiredandTravel

8 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Just to clarify, the Concierge cabins on Regent are 332 sq. ft. PLUS the balcony.

I think that still leaves me with the same comparison for NCL Haven rooms. I’m not sure about Celebrity but I think the smaller retreat room was roughly $1k less if it compares better room for room.

25 minutes ago, Andy0215 said:

I think that still leaves me with the same comparison for NCL Haven rooms. I’m not sure about Celebrity but I think the smaller retreat room was roughly $1k less if it compares better room for room.

In your example we would take Regent every time.  We prefer the smaller ships ~700 passengers.  We have friends and family who like the larger ships because of the entertainment and diversity of venues.  Its a personal choice.   I think quality of funishings and bathrooms is also important in the room selection.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Your OP compared Tokyo cruises in April 2025 with business class tickets and now you are talking about $4500 flights to Singapore in December.  Considering we live in the Raleigh area and have flown business class to Tokyo for a Regent cruise I was just trying to help.  That'll learn me.

You asked me how I could get cheaper fare to Tokyo than you think is possible.  I answered because I just booked a longer flight at a lower cost.  If you don’t believe me, I don’t know what to say.

I am traveling RDU-Tokyo-SIN in December 2024.

I am CONSIDERING traveling to Tokyo and/or Seoul in April 2025/2026.  I do not know what price airfare will be at that time.

Edited by zitsky

Your flight is to Singapore.  Tickets are cheaper going from  RDU>HND>SIN than RDU>HND. The connection to SIN actually reduces the price. Crazy but its so.

Give it a try.

https://www.jal.co.jp/ar/en/

If I were planning a business class trip to Tokyo from RDU next Spring I would count on it costing about 6/7k each.  I hope you are more successful getting cheaper tickets.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy0215 said:

I actually booked a Category D (Concierge) suite on that 12/6/24 Grandeur cruise...and as a regular Celebrity cruiser I did this exact analysis when I booked in November.  I agree that comparing a Regent Concierge suite to a Celebrity Sky Suite is more appropriate (even though the Cat D suite is 10% larger with a balcony that is almost 2x larger).  Having said this, the Reflection is an unrevolutionized/older Celebrity ship, so an apples-to-apples comparison would be the Grandeur vs an E-class Celebrity ship (Edge, Apex, Beyond, Ascent).  

Stripping out airfare and pre-cruise hotel I paid a little under $600pp/pn for my Grandeur cruise.  When I looked at Celebrity E-class similar cruises, adding in the cost of gratuities and excursions I arrived at a price in excess of $800pp/pd.  Oh and I got $1,000 in OBC to boot.  No brainer for me.

Not sure that I understand the point of this thread since Celebrity and Regent are different products; price being only one aspect of the appeal of the respective cruise lines.

• Like 10

Don’t forget that laundry is included on Regent (dry cleaning is not included). Last month I gave my steward 17 wrinkled items out of the suitcase to have pressed. I LOVE the huge walk in closet in my lowest level suite.

Onboard guest lecturers are excellent in their field. Our South American cruise had a team of Antartica experts. Multiple lectures on most days. My previous Regent cruise on Mariner out of Los Angeles had multiple producers/movie types associated with PBS and Secrets of the Dead (IIRC, memory is not what it used to be). Also professor emeritus from Cal State to lecture on culture/history relevant to our itinerary. No port shopping talks……

Specialty restaurants are included, easier to get extra ressy on longer cruises. Main dining room is so good, you might forget to ask for those extra visits to the specialties (although service in the main dining room can be quite slow). Food is much better on R than X. You already know that alcohol is included on Regent. We tired of not getting served at the bars on Reflection. This was in 2013, and there weren’t enough bartenders. Upgrading to the drinks package is a waste of money if you can’t get served.

Specialty coffee drinks (cappuccino, expresso, more) all included.

Tips, room service also. 
No class system on R. For the most part, all passengers are treated the same. Any special benefits to booking the top suites is not noticeable in the common/public areas - no front row seats reserved for the royalty….Others will chime in if I’m mistaken…..

Number 1 BEST thing on Regent are the pax. Well-traveled, thoughtful and successful professionals for the most part. 
Is R perfect? No. But it is much better than X.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

This thread is about a "price comparsion" and many people have posted their excellent calculations. 

But, as flossie009 points out, there is more to it than just dollar amounts.

The size of the cabin is relevant, and has been discussed here.  But also relevant is the overall space per passenger on the ship.  You can find a rough estimate of this by dividing the gross tonnage by the number of passengers. The higher the number, the less crowded you will be when out and about on the ship.

Also relevant is the number of passengers per crew.  The lower the number the better.

All these numbers can be easily found with the assistance of Captain Google. And Regent fares very well using these criteria.  Note that both space and crew are costs that the cruise line must bear.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1