Trusted Traveller Programs - Explained

CDNPolar

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Water_Baby_ said:

Am I interpreting this correctly? With NEXUS I get expedited entry into Canada and the United States no matter where I'm travelling from? That sort of seems like a no brainer. 

Ding! It's always been the best card (all benefits of TSA Pre and Global Entry, plus Canadian airport quick Security even on domestic flights on top of Canada-bound expedited air entry; but the land borders are where the time savings rack up for most of us...)

If you apply within the next few months it's also the cheapest TT card... but even when pricing goes up to match GE cost in October, it's still the winner unless you never cross the Canadian border. Even folks who live far from the border and only think they'll visit Canada a single time during their 5 year card life should consider it instead of GE - interviews can be done during a layover at the many Prescreening airports, so it's literally just a few minutes extra compared to your CBP only chat for GE and I have lost count of how many times I have saved more than 30mins at a border or airport by having it; on several occasions it's been in excess of two hours!

Edited by martincath
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Water_Baby_ said:

Am I interpreting this correctly? With NEXUS I get expedited entry into Canada and the United States no matter where I'm travelling from? That sort of seems like a no brainer. 

Yep... many folks have an impression that it is US/Canada but we have only flown to or through the USA perhaps 3 times in the last 10 years.

It is expedited security at Toronto Pearson - with TSA Approved so you don't pull your liquids or laptop...etc., and all that BS.

When coming back to Canada from anywhere you skip that 300 person line and breeze through immigration only to wait at luggage claim for the next 45 minutes.

When you transit through the US - such as Chicago - on the way back to Canada, you go quickly through their Global Entry system.

It is a no brainer to us.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

It is expedited security at Toronto Pearson - with TSA Approved so you don't pull your liquids or laptop...etc., and all that BS.

Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to all Canadian airports. Here in Ottawa, Nexus members go to the head of the line for security, but are then required to pull laptops, remove shoes, etc., along with all the non-Nexus passengers.

11 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to all Canadian airports. Here in Ottawa, Nexus members go to the head of the line for security, but are then required to pull laptops, remove shoes, etc., along with all the non-Nexus passengers.

Does Ottawa have pre custom clearance for the USA ? 

On 3/11/2024 at 4:42 AM, lx200gps said:

It's been a number of years since I last flew through YYZ, but I can guarantee that YUL is absolutely dreadful in that regard. We have waited every bit as long for our bags here as you do. More annoying is the fact that the baggage handlers here do not recognize the bright orange PRIORITY tags that AC put on luggage and our bags often come out much later than those without priority. Most airports in the US do seem to try and get our bags out to the carousel first, but not here in Montreal.

Agree with you and thankfully, we do not frequent either airports. YYZ domestic and international baggage delivery (with Priority tags) was a very long wait last year. 

12 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

Agree with you and thankfully, we do not frequent either airports. YYZ domestic and international baggage delivery (with Priority tags) was a very long wait last year. 

OMG, don't get me started on Priority tags at Pearson.

To me when arriving back at Toronto Pearson, those orange/red'ish tags may well mean to the luggage handlers "keep to last".

Come on - Priority luggage is not a new concept around the world.  Whether your priority is because you spend 700 bucks a year on a credit card, or you actually fly in Business or First (if it exists on your airline) the bags are to be segregated and delivered front of the line.  In my experience this rarely happens in Toronto Pearson.

Oh, and Pearson, we just count on 45 minute wait whether our bags come out first or not.

This is the joke we have with Nexus.  We are out of the Immigration area in 5 minutes and ahead of the line of 500 others, but then we just stand and wait at the luggage until our entire flight is there also.  If you are checking luggage to be claimed at Pearson, Nexus just prevents you from standing in a line at Immigration to standing at the luggage carousel. 

• Like 2

“This is the joke we have with Nexus.  We are out of the Immigration area in 5 minutes and ahead of the line of 500 others, but then we just stand and wait at the luggage until our entire flight is there also.  If you are checking luggage to be claimed at Pearson, Nexus just prevents you from standing in a line at Immigration to standing at the luggage carousel. “

so true 🤣

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

...and this is why so many people (myself included, when possible) try to travel with just carryon bags. 

Edited by starvenger
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, starvenger said:

...and this is why so many people (myself included, when possible) try to travel with just carryon bags. 

If I am traveling on a cruise , I don’t want to limited myself to a carry on

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

If I am traveling on a cruise , I don’t want to limited myself to a carry on

I hear you, but I was actually able to do it on my 10 night on Regal Princess. Jacket and slacks included. Don't think I would do it again though.

• Like 1

Because Toronto is my home airport, while it frustrates me to wait for luggage, at least I am home and there is nothing else that I need to do; no connections, no train to catch, so it doesn’t bother me too much. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Because Toronto is my home airport, while it frustrates me to wait for luggage, at least I am home and there is nothing else that I need to do; no connections, no train to catch, so it doesn’t bother me too much. 

I get you because it is my home airport also, but the whole Nexus thing gets us through so fast and then you realize that it did not save you any time at all.

Re the carryon thing?  For a land based tour in warm climate, yes.  For a cruise no.  Could not do it.

6 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

but the whole Nexus thing gets us through so fast and then you realize that it did not save you any time at all.

If you need to go to the bathroom, more choices on the arrivals side.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, d9704011 said:

If you need to go to the bathroom, more choices on the arrivals side.

It may be true now, but I remember when nothing was available in baggage claim. You either went before immigration, or you had to wait until you had collected bags and gone through customs. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, starvenger said:

I hear you, but I was actually able to do it on my 10 night on Regal Princess. Jacket and slacks included. Don't think I would do it again though.

After a couple of horrible experiences in 2021 and 2022, I became a carry on convert. The longest I've done is 13 nights on a ship and 5 nights in Europe. Early spring which meant layers and cold weather gear. I don't see myself going back to checked baggage again. The less stuff I have to haul around, the better. But I know it's not for everyone. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Water_Baby_ said:

After a couple of horrible experiences in 2021 and 2022, I became a carry on convert. The longest I've done is 13 nights on a ship and 5 nights in Europe. Early spring which meant layers and cold weather gear. I don't see myself going back to checked baggage again. The less stuff I have to haul around, the better. But I know it's not for everyone. 

Until they change the size and weight of carry on or start charging 

With Porter , my wife is retired military , gets a free check bag , but has to pay for carryon 

TAP weight for carryon is 10kg , but check bag is 32 kg 

Besides that a pair of shoes take up 1/2 a carry on 🤣

11 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Until they change the size and weight of carry on or start charging 

With Porter , my wife is retired military , gets a free check bag , but has to pay for carryon 

TAP weight for carryon is 10kg , but check bag is 32 kg 

Besides that a pair of shoes take up 1/2 a carry on 🤣

British Air carry on is 23kg.  But if you are connecting to another partner airline once you get to Heathrow, I don't know what happens.