Trusted Traveller Programs - Explained

CDNPolar

NEXUS gets you Global Entry and TSA PreCheck, and is cheaper than the other two. I got it early on and still seems like the one to get for us Canadians. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, starvenger said:

NEXUS gets you Global Entry and TSA PreCheck, and is cheaper than the other two. I got it early on and still seems like the one to get for us Canadians. 

Absolutely.... Our American friends talk about the cost of adding TSA and then I say "That is included in my $50 bucks every 5 years!"  

Nexus is a great deal for us Canadians.

I did not realize at first as we typically do not transit through the USA, but the latest couple of times we did, the Global Entry was so quick and easy.  Did not realize that we could use that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Absolutely.... Our American friends talk about the cost of adding TSA and then I say "That is included in my $50 bucks every 5 years!"  

I did not realize at first as we typically do not transit through the USA, but the latest couple of times we did, the Global Entry was so quick and easy.  Did not realize that we could use that.

NEXUS is a huge no-brainer and the best freebie I can think of, we can only hope that it doesn't get so popular that the usually empty NEXUS lines start to get crowded ;o) We just renewed my wife's card and the full refund to the charge was automatically credited back to her credit card within two days.

21 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

NEXUS is a huge no-brainer and the best freebie I can think of, we can only hope that it doesn't get so popular that the usually empty NEXUS lines start to get crowded ;o) We just renewed my wife's card and the full refund to the charge was automatically credited back to her credit card within two days.

I know what you are saying.  I see Nexus advertising here and there on social media to increase membership, but that would only slow us all down.

The only thing with Nexus and arriving back into Toronto, is there really is no time saving because Toronto is so SLOW at bringing luggage, by the time the luggage shows the whole aircraft has come through customs/immigration.

Nexus gets us to the luggage hall in minutes, but then we wait for 30-40-50 minutes for luggage.

Hope it is better in Montreal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I know what you are saying.  I see Nexus advertising here and there on social media to increase membership, but that would only slow us all down.

The only thing with Nexus and arriving back into Toronto, is there really is no time saving because Toronto is so SLOW at bringing luggage, by the time the luggage shows the whole aircraft has come through customs/immigration.

Nexus gets us to the luggage hall in minutes, but then we wait for 30-40-50 minutes for luggage.

Hope it is better in Montreal.

It's been a number of years since I last flew through YYZ, but I can guarantee that YUL is absolutely dreadful in that regard. We have waited every bit as long for our bags here as you do. More annoying is the fact that the baggage handlers here do not recognize the bright orange PRIORITY tags that AC put on luggage and our bags often come out much later than those without priority. Most airports in the US do seem to try and get our bags out to the carousel first, but not here in Montreal.

58 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

At  first we also did not know we could use TSA pre check, wished they also had the Nexus written on the sign 

48 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I hear you. Seems like T3 is faster than T1 in that regard. We’ve done carryon only for our last couple of trips so we avoided all that. 

42 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

It's been a number of years since I last flew through YYZ, but I can guarantee that YUL is absolutely dreadful in that regard. We have waited every bit as long for our bags here as you do. More annoying is the fact that the baggage handlers here do not recognize the bright orange PRIORITY tags that AC put on luggage and our bags often come out much later than those without priority. Most airports in the US do seem to try and get our bags out to the carousel first, but not here in Montreal.

I have been of the last bags with priority orange tags.  It is almost like it is done on purpose.

6 hours ago, lx200gps said:

We just renewed my wife's card and the full refund to the charge was automatically credited back to her credit card within two days.

Just curious - why the refund? Is renewal free of charge?

1 hour ago, daisy-mae said:

Just curious - why the refund? Is renewal free of charge?

Certain credit cards, such as my wife's TD Visa Infinite and my TD Visa Infinite Privilege (and there are almost certainly others) include a paid NEXUS renewal every 5 years. Her card was refunded the $CAD69.74 as a "NEXUS Rebate" within a day or two of us submitting her renewal application.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Absolutely.... Our American friends talk about the cost of adding TSA and then I say "That is included in my $50 bucks every 5 years!"  

The program is available on both sides of the border; not just for Canadians.  I don’t post about it because I don’t want a price increase.  

• Like 2

Just be aware that your airline has entered things correctly, and your boarding pass says TSA precheck.   I had to recently go back to the checkin when they wouldn’t honour my nexus card without Precheck on the boarding pass.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Just be aware that your airline has entered things correctly, and your boarding pass says TSA precheck.   I had to recently go back to the checkin when they wouldn’t honour my nexus card without Precheck on the boarding pass.   

Sometimes it is you that need to enter the number when you check in online. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Sometimes it is you that need to enter the number when you check in online. 

Our on-line account on the Air Canada site already has all this information loaded in and it is applied to every booking we make automatically, so I never have to bother entering the info myself. When we check in on line the day before the flight (or at the check in counter), our NEXUS/Global Entry info is already loaded into the system and our boarding passes are automatically tagged with TSA-Pre-Check.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Our on-line account on the Air Canada site already has all this information loaded in and it is applied to every booking we make automatically, so I never have to bother entering the info myself. When we check in on line the day before the flight (or at the check in counter), our NEXUS/Global Entry info is already loaded into the system and our boarding passes are automatically tagged with TSA-Pre-Check.

Yes ours is on our profile and in the past shown up automatically.  This time for some reason it didn’t.  Wondering if it was because of a renewal? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 3:14 PM, lx200gps said:

Certain credit cards, such as my wife's TD Visa Infinite and my TD Visa Infinite Privilege (and there are almost certainly others) include a paid NEXUS renewal every 5 years. Her card was refunded the $CAD69.74 as a "NEXUS Rebate" within a day or two of us submitting her renewal application.

I've paid for our Nexus renewal using Visa and have the Infinite card....never received a refund.  Is that something you apply for?

Not all VISA cards offer this perk. These do:

CIBC

• Aventura Gold $100
  • Aventura Visa Infinite $100
  • Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege $100
  • Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege $50 USD

TD Canada Trust

• Aeroplan Visa Infinite $100
  • Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege $100
  • Aeroplan Business $100

Others may now, so check with your issuer.

The rebate is automatic.

12 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

CIBC

• Aventura Gold $100

TD Canada Trust

• Aeroplan Business $100

The rebate is automatic.

Yes.....I looked it up and we have TD Infinite Travel but not the Aeroplan version.  Just never heard of any rebate...the things you find out on CC....👍.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

CIBC

• Aventura Gold $100

TD Canada Trust

• Aeroplan Business $100

The rebate is automatic.

And I completely forgot that I had the benefit, and put the charge on my travel card that doesn’t have foreign exchange fees. I felt so stupid!

53 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

And I completely forgot that I had the benefit, and put the charge on my travel card that doesn’t have foreign exchange fees. I felt so stupid!

No need to feel stupid. With multiple credit cards offering a wide variation in perks and points for this or that, I'm sure that we've all realized after the fact that we should have used a different card for a particular purchase.

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2024 at 3:33 PM, *Miss G* said:

The program is available on both sides of the border; not just for Canadians.  I don’t post about it because I don’t want a price increase.  

I just love your signature! 

12 hours ago, Fouremco said:

No need to feel stupid. With multiple credit cards offering a wide variation in perks and points for this or that, I'm sure that we've all realized after the fact that we should have used a different card for a particular purchase.

And... we have two different time frame issues of the TD Aeroplan cards. (Both Infinite and Privilege)  The rules and point accumulations are different if they were issued in 2022 vs. 2023 vs 2024.  

We went back to the bank to get the rules for our previously issued cards because we thought they were different (better) than the promos that we were seeing now, and yes they were.

We now screen print all the rules for each card we have and keep them in an archive.

This all came to light because of the annual bonus of Aeroplan points.  We were reading that the annual bonus on a more recently advertised card was paid when you hit the bonus spending limit, and I was sure that we had to wait until the year was up.  It was the case.  We had to wait until the 12 months was up to get the bonus but a card offered a few months after securing ours gave the bonus in 3 months or 6 months or whatever months if you hit the annual spending required.

• Like 1