Symphony of the Seas May 10th sailing for 20 year old son….or Celebrity

Hello,

My son and I are considering a 3 day cruise in early May after he gets home from college and begins his summer job.  I have narrowed the search down to 3 options in order of preference.  Symphony 3 day from FLL, Allure 3 day from PC, AND Celebrity Reflection.  My questions are primarily if you have sailed on both lines;  will Celebrity be too sedate for him?  Also will the RCCL cruises be too “wild” for me? Also I like the fact that Symphony has been refurbished, but Celebrity is cheaper! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I am going to book today because the Symphony sailing increased by $300 yesterday! Ouch! 

As you probably already guessed...I think Celebrity would indeed be too sedate for him.  

So that leaves Symphony, which has already raised prices and Allure.  Are you flying in?  If so, I would chose FLL.   The airport is much closer than PC.  

If driving...I would chose PC...much easier to negotiate traffic.  Then there is the cost.  Obviously both have same itineraries, so I would check into the total cost of flight (or driving) and bottom line of each cruise.  

Enjoy your time with your son.  🙂 

Normally i would say a royal cruise is not "too wild" but this is a 3 day just after colleges get out, there is a chance it will be more wild than average... but not like overly crazy or anything. But if he wants people his age and not just to cozy up with a book by the pool, Celebrity would feel like almost a punishment to a college kid if it's just the 2 of you. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Also, 20 is a ROUGH age to cruise regardless of line

You are too old for the "kids club" (teen area) and too young to drink though everyone around you is drinking.

Not to say you cant have fun at 20 on a cruise, its just rough.

For the same price you could probably do an All expense paid resort?

Edited by Neosophy

Part of the decision depends on your kid. If he is really social and likes to do a bunch of adventure-type activities, he would enjoy Royal -Symphony- far more (zip line, rock climbing, flow rider, laser tag, water slides, ice skating, sports court, etc.). If he likes to read, watch the water, and do more chill activities, he might be ok on Celebrity. Royal also has "Hyperlink" activities which are specifically geared towards 18-25 year olds where he could meet others. As far as cost - you could check with a (good/reputable) TA to see if they have any group rates still available that might save you a little bit. 

Thanks everyone for your informative replies!  It really is a “ no-brainer” with a 20 year old!  It’s been at least 12 years since we did a RCCL cruise so he doesn’t remember much from the Oasis class….I think he will have a blast.  I can escape to the adult areas for some peace and quiet! 

I have cruised on both Celebrity and RCI multiple times in the last few months (I just got off Symphony two days ago). Since you asked the question about Celebrity being too sedate, I am going to assume your son would not like Celebrity. The atmosphere on a Celebrity ship is drastically different than on an RCI ship. Sedate would be a good word to describe a Celebrity ship. Great for someone in their late 50s like me, not so great for a 20 year old. Between Symphony and Allure, I would pick Symphony because it has a few more features than Allure. However, I don’t think you can go wrong with either ship. Like I mentioned I just got off Symphony and I will be going on Allure in a few weeks (both are great ships in my book). 

Thank you we sailed on Allure over 10 years ago twice so I would like to try another ship!  I tried to put a hold on a cabin, but it didn’t allow before payment.  Any insights?  Disney will allow a 24 hour hold prior to payment.  I was a part time travel  agent eons ago so I generally do my own bookings. 

2 minutes ago, Mparker12 said:

Thank you we sailed on Allure over 10 years ago twice so I would like to try another ship!  I tried to put a hold on a cabin, but it didn’t allow before payment.  Any insights?  Disney will allow a 24 hour hold prior to payment.  I was a part time travel  agent eons ago so I generally do my own bookings. 

Idk a way to put a hold other than call my TA who can do it. He also has better group rates. I dont think you can put a hold on a cabin.

We have a 20yo daughter, and I think she'd be bored on Celebrity. She and I both really enjoy the shows and the variety of specialty restaurants on RCI. DD also loves the ice skating (free skate when it's offered) and rock climbing wall. Is there any possibility of doing a 4-night sailing? That might feel a little less chaotic, if it's an option. I don't think I'll sail on Allure again until she's been "amped," but I'd be happy to sail Oasis or Symphony (Wonder so far has been out of our price range).

You will love Symphony.  We sailed on her last month and had a great time.  Enjoy!

As for Royal vs Celebrity, we sail both.  Normally Celebrity is more quiet as others have said, but I would not assume that on a 3-day cruise.  This brings a different passenger demographic I think.  

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 6:13 PM, Mparker12 said:

I booked Symphony!  We are so excited!  Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

That is a great choice.  You will both have a great time.  IMO, the shows on Symphony are the best. Have a wonderful time.

Posted (edited)

Yes, the Solarium is awesome! You have absolutely made the right choice! My husband and I were on Celebrity Apex last week which we loved…but our 18 year old son would have been sooooo bored.🥱 We are headed on the Symphony for Spring break on the 23rd and looking very forward to it. Have fun!

Edited by zanydoc