Sailing with companions who have slight health concerns

Out of our party of 8, 2 of the travelers have some health concerns. One is my MIL, but we've been working through those for years. She's older and has an electric wheelchair now (which, surprisingly is less than 30" wide), so while she's not a fast walker, she can get around pretty well in her chair.

The other real concern (outside of my back issues and the occasional vertigo issue) is one of the kids who is traveling with us. She has recently been diagnosed with a relatively common issue that may or may not include daily medication (I don't know if it's daily or as needed). My question about that is, aside from making Carnival aware that she has a health issue, or will they need to know what medication(s) she has to take? She's also a friend of my youngest, which is why I don't know these things. I will certainly find out what she takes and how often before we check in, but I need to know if I should tell Carnival vs am I required to tell Carnival about the medication specifically?

Side note: We are aware that we have to present Carnival with a notarized letter from her parents that gives us permission to take her with us, and go to the port of call, on the excursion, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice/responses 😃

I've never had Carnival or any other line inquire about what medicines we may be taking. If she doesn't need special assistance then I see no reason at all to even tell Carnival anything (and even if she needed assistance I don't believe it is necessary to provide a lot of details then, just that passenger such and such needs this type of assistance).

• Like 3

I hope the kid's parents share complete health information with you before you travel with their child - on a cruise ship, a long way from US shores, with limited medical interventions on-board. That's a lot of responsibility for you if something, anything goes wrong. 

• Like 3

I believe Special Needs wants to know that your MIL is bringing a mobility device.  Also, she needs to have an accessible cabin as a chair 30” wide will not fit through the 22” door of the standard cabin, and Carnival is cracking down on the SOLAS regulation that assistive devices must be stored in the cabin and not left in the corridor.  EM

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Out of Iowa said:

I hope the kid's parents share complete health information with you before you travel with their child - on a cruise ship, a long way from US shores, with limited medical interventions on-board. That's a lot of responsibility for you if something, anything goes wrong. 

Yes, I would hope so as well but that information doesn't need to be shared with Carnival. (I would also hope that a physician is consulted to ensure they are fit enough to travel.)

2 hours ago, Out of Iowa said:

She's a neighbor and we're very familiar with the situation, because the child's first episode with her condition happened when we were nearby (they live across from my MIL) and we were able to assist with caring for the child's siblings while their mom went to the hospital with her. We'll get all of the details we need, but the advice is well-taken. Cheers!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

I believe Special Needs wants to know that your MIL is bringing a mobility device.  Also, she needs to have an accessible cabin as a chair 30” wide will not fit through the 22” door of the standard cabin, and Carnival is cracking down on the SOLAS regulation that assistive devices must be stored in the cabin and not left in the corridor.  EM

MIL does have an accessible balcony cabin, yes. We booked through a third party because my youngest is dancing on the ship one day, but we made sure the company and Carnival were both made aware of her requirements when we sent the paperwork in. Her chair is in the neighborhood of 26", so we're good. Now it's just a matter of her not hitting the doorways haha! Thank you for your reply! Cheers!

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

I'm not sure why you think Carnival needs to know what kind of medicine you are taking?

It's for a minor/adolescent and that was the entire question - will they need to know that she has a medical issue (not a sever or major one, mind you), and if so, especially if she and my youngest decide to do Club O2, will they need to know about her medication? 

Just now, Noledad77 said:

It's for a minor/adolescent and that was the entire question - will they need to know that she has a medical issue (not a sever or major one, mind you), and if so, especially if she and my youngest decide to do Club O2, will they need to know about her medication? 

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1067/~/club-o2-(teens-15-17-years)

4 hours ago, Noledad77 said:

Club O2 might need to know about a medical condition if it might pop up while the kid is there, but I don't think they can administer medicine.

Though not required you might be wise to bring a signed, notarized paper to the effect that you are allowed to bring the child to a doctor (along with being allowed to bring her in and out of the country). We've had our children sign and notarize the sample one below for each time we brought our grandchildren with us. We have never needed to show it to anyone---but just feel more secure in having it. Many doctors will not treat a child unless the parent approves.

permission.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chocolate melting cake said:

Though not required you might be wise to bring a signed, notarized paper to the effect that you are allowed to bring the child to a doctor (along with being allowed to bring her in and out of the country). We've had our children sign and notarize the sample one below for each time we brought our grandchildren with us. We have never needed to show it to anyone---but just feel more secure in having it. Many doctors will not treat a child unless the parent approves.

permission.jpg

Do you have a link to this document? I'll send it to my wife or maybe I'll print it and bring it to her instead. 

I see this link, but it does not look like the one posted above: https://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLAU/pdf/other/consent-form.ashx.

That said, any letter that gives you temporary power for medical care, etc... is likely fine. On their FAQ, Carnival does note:

Traveling with Minors
When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the minor (due to sole custody, deceased, etc.) other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, death certificate, birth certificate naming only one parent, would be useful to bring in place of a signed letter. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

On 3/12/2024 at 9:18 AM, Noledad77 said:

Out of our party of 8, 2 of the travelers have some health concerns. One is my MIL, but we've been working through those for years. She's older and has an electric wheelchair now (which, surprisingly is less than 30" wide), so while she's not a fast walker, she can get around pretty well in her chair.

The other real concern (outside of my back issues and the occasional vertigo issue) is one of the kids who is traveling with us. She has recently been diagnosed with a relatively common issue that may or may not include daily medication (I don't know if it's daily or as needed). My question about that is, aside from making Carnival aware that she has a health issue, or will they need to know what medication(s) she has to take? She's also a friend of my youngest, which is why I don't know these things. I will certainly find out what she takes and how often before we check in, but I need to know if I should tell Carnival vs am I required to tell Carnival about the medication specifically?

Side note: We are aware that we have to present Carnival with a notarized letter from her parents that gives us permission to take her with us, and go to the port of call, on the excursion, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice/responses 😃

My sister cruised with me a lot. She takes seizure drugs. Just for safety I kept all but a couple of pills locked in the safe. Dont want to chance water getting spilled on them or whatever. 

Nothing was said to carnival.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

My sister cruised with me a lot. She takes seizure drugs. Just for safety I kept all but a couple of pills locked in the safe. Dont want to chance water getting spilled on them or whatever. 

Nothing was said to carnival.

Same here.  DD is on 3 seizure meds. She has been on all 33 CCL cruises with us.  We used to fill out the special needs form for CCL asking for separate table for 2 in dining room and the "special" muster - but since your time dining and "new" muster went in we haven't filled out any form, and things have been fantastic on every cruise.

3 hours ago, dctravel said:

I see this link, but it does not look like the one posted above: https://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLAU/pdf/other/consent-form.ashx.

That said, any letter that gives you temporary power for medical care, etc... is likely fine. On their FAQ, Carnival does note:

Traveling with Minors
When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the minor (due to sole custody, deceased, etc.) other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, death certificate, birth certificate naming only one parent, would be useful to bring in place of a signed letter. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

Thank you for this. I'm going to check it out and likely print it today! Cheers!