How bad is Cococay with 11000 people?

I'd take the opposite approach. Sleep in, enjoy the ship, head out after lunch. Enough people will be heading back by then. Be among the last back on board. It's at its best right before closing, so peaceful.

• Like 2

This is my fear. m I have an autistic 18 year old.  We are sailing Symphony May 31st-June 7th going to Atlantis and COco and not sure what other ships will be there but.......it's summer.

They said with my son we would be first off the ship to help accomodate him I am more worried about lines with the slides and things.  Thgat can be difficult. 

How do the loungers work?  Put a towel down to reserve it?  Is that bad form?

15 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'd be more concerned with Nassau.  They always have multiple ships in port, and the pathway between the dock and the city is jammed with people shoulder to shoulder.  You have to pass through a bottleneck, and I genuinely felt unsafe -- if anyone had fallen or if anything bad had happened, people could have been trampled.  And we didn't get off the ship first; that is, we weren't in the initial crush of people.  We agreed we're never leaving the ship in Nasasu again -- unless we opt for an excursion that leaves from the dock /doesn't require going into the city.  

If you're doing the water park in Atlantis, I wouldn't pay for a second water park the very next day.  Personally, I'd skip all the paid options and head for the far side of Coco Cay.  Go to South Beach and keep moving right -- you'll have to walk back to South. Beach for food and rest rooms, but you won't be crowded.  

In the picture, South Beach is at 1:00 ... notice the remote area to the right.  

CocoCay.jpg

Have you been to Nassau since the new terminal opened? The flow of passengers is much better since it opened. The port area right outside the terminal is also significantly better. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Neosophy said:

The Allure is going to be in port with us (Anthem) both in Nassau and then CoCoCay the next day.  Five ships total in Nassau with 22500 total people gives us some concern about our Atlantis waterpark plans, but hopefully the $200 ticket price will keep some folks away.

More concerning is CoCoCay.  Anyone been there with two large ships before? 

We have a Waterpark Cabana we reserved early, but we are considering dropping it for Beach Club day pass if CoCoCay is going to be so packed that the kids (8 and 11) would get little time on the slides.  We are thinking that at the Beach Club we could get floating mats and snorkel gear and they could enjoy the ocean instead.

If your kids are like most 8 and 11 year olds, they probably won’t have fun at the Beach Club. I have been to the updated Coco Cay over thirty times and have experienced every combination of ships there. With the exception of the swim up bar area at the Oasis Lagoon pool and the floating bar at South Beach, I have never felt any part of the island was too crowded, including the dozen or so times I have been to the waterpark (I am in my late 50s but still a kid when it comes to water slides). And with the recent opening of Hideaway Beach at Coco Cay, that spreads out passengers even more. We spent the day there when we went there last month on Icon, and there were a lot of people at Hideaway Beach. I never left that area but I plan to walk around the island when I am there this weekend to see how other areas look with Hideaway Beach open. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, nelblu said:

Not everyone gets off at CC and or Nassau.

Yup, I'm one, The last time I got off in Nassau the Straw Market was burning down, 23yrs ago and few days before 9/11. On Coco Cay, 22 yrs ago though do like people watch from my Aft Cabin, all the Sunburned masses returning. Last Sept was so Hot, Humid and no breeze many were heading back onboard before Noon. The last 2hrs before Ships leave Trams are packed! For some looks like be faster walk back the wait for ride

Edited by ONECRUISER

3 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yup, I'm one, The last time I got off in Nassau the Straw Market was burning down, 23yrs ago and few days before 9/11. On Coco Cay, 22 yrs ago though do like people watch from my Aft Cabin, all the Sunburned masses returning. Last Sept was so Hot, Humid and no breeze many were heading back onboard before Noon. The last 2hrs before Ships leave Trams are packed! For some looks like be faster walk back the wait for ride

We enjoy CC early, and back on board before most are even headed off. 

As far as the 'dump' (Nassau) goes, we enjoy watching from our balcony as well.  I especially enjoyed watching the 50+ workers sit around enjoying out $20+ port fees while they were 'working' on the new pier(s).  

1 hour ago, bucfan2 said:

We enjoy CC early, and back on board before most are even headed off. 

As far as the 'dump' (Nassau) goes, we enjoy watching from our balcony as well.  I especially enjoyed watching the 50+ workers sit around enjoying out $20+ port fees while they were 'working' on the new pier(s).  

The "dump"? Wow.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DennysDad said:

Here's a thought. 

Those ships that were scheduled to be the only one in port for the day, now have the possibility of a second ship. Due to labadee rescheduling.

I was thinking that as I'm waiting to hear what happens with the Indy 3/21 sailing. Freedom guests probably loved they were the only ship there 3/23, now we may be pulling up too! Lol

8 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

This is my fear. m I have an autistic 18 year old.  We are sailing Symphony May 31st-June 7th going to Atlantis and COco and not sure what other ships will be there but.......it's summer.

They said with my son we would be first off the ship to help accomodate him I am more worried about lines with the slides and things.  Thgat can be difficult. 

How do the loungers work?  Put a towel down to reserve it?  Is that bad form?

I haven't been to the water park so I can't speak to the rides, but yes, people stake out their loungers with towels and stuff. I've never had trouble finding one on the beach, the pool is more challenging. I like being in the pool but not sitting in that area anyway. It can be loud, I'd rather relax on the beach. Everything is really close together so it's not difficult to move around.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Have you been to Nassau since the new terminal opened? The flow of passengers is much better since it opened. The port area right outside the terminal is also significantly better. 

No, I think it was two years ago that we said we'd never set foot in Nassau again, and we were 100% serious about that.  We don't feel that way about any other port.  

1 hour ago, bucfan2 said:

Ya, probably over-rated it a bit.

Agree.  About two years ago I attended a full-day teacher workshop at the dump /recycling plant, and I enjoyed it more than Nassau.  No exaggeration. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

I'd take the opposite approach. Sleep in, enjoy the ship, head out after lunch. Enough people will be heading back by then. Be among the last back on board. It's at its best right before closing, so peaceful.

That's what we plan on doing.  Gym, tan, no laundry, and pool.  Then T Shirt time.

Posted (edited)

we were there twice: Harmony + Indy, and Oasis+Mariner (I think), and it was fine.

Keep going past the Chill Island beaches to your immediate left, and you will find some space.

However, we don't use the waterpark at CocoCay. I am sure it has long lines for everything. We don't do Beach club either.

For illustration:

image.thumb.jpeg.a462a4bd2950341323b8b35503dffd4a.jpeg

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

On 3/13/2024 at 10:39 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

I'd be more concerned with Nassau.  They always have multiple ships in port, and the pathway between the dock and the city is jammed with people shoulder to shoulder.  You have to pass through a bottleneck, and I genuinely felt unsafe -- if anyone had fallen or if anything bad had happened, people could have been trampled.  And we didn't get off the ship first; that is, we weren't in the initial crush of people.  We agreed we're never leaving the ship in Nasasu again -- unless we opt for an excursion that leaves from the dock /doesn't require going into the city. 

Nassau is completely rebuilt now.

No bottlenecks, piers are enlarged. Port area is completely different.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tatka said:

Nassau is completely rebuilt now.

No bottlenecks, piers are enlarged. Port area is completely different.

Too little, too late. 

Speaking only for myself and my husband, we're done with Nassau.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Too little, too late. 

Speaking only for myself and my husband, we're done with Nassau.  

Well... we are cruise addicts (61 and counting in 20 years)... but we switched from A/I and other vacations to go to various places, so I am glad that this place we visit often (we sail from NJ so at least 1 time a year we are there) is improving. Other people should have this information too as much as I want  to keep Nassau to myself. 🙂

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 2

Does anyone know why all ships seem to go to Nassau? Do RCL have some sort of obligation to go there or something. While it's not the worst place to be there must be other places nearby they could mix it up with? Or is that not the case?

I wouldn't say we were disappointed with the island but I can see how it would get old quick to frequent cruiser's 

24 minutes ago, gavvy said:

Does anyone know why all ships seem to go to Nassau? Do RCL have some sort of obligation to go there or something. While it's not the worst place to be there must be other places nearby they could mix it up with? Or is that not the case?

I wouldn't say we were disappointed with the island but I can see how it would get old quick to frequent cruiser's 

I think it’s because they’ve invested a ton of money there. They’re building a private beach club or something, as well as the new port. Same reason they all have to go to coco cay.

Posted (edited)

We were on Wonder in Jan.  First week we were in CC with 4000 passengers from Icon (media, family members).  Second week we were there with another ship (can't remember which one) that probably had 3500+ passengers onboard. We get off early (by 930) and have no trouble getting a chair anywhere we wanted.  In our case by the pool.  We're back in April on Vision with Liberty (I think) and we have Hideaway Beach passes for the day.  Island can supposedly support 12000. 

As far as Nassau goes, we've been there many times.  Last time was a year ago.  New port area is very nice, but limited food choices.  We usually go to Senor Frogs for lunch and now with the new port area you can walk most of the way through the port and avoid the street.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gavvy said:

The cruise ships that are not American registered must stop at least once during a cruise that originates and returns from an American port.

Royal like most cruise lines, saves money when their ships are docked because they are not using their propulsion systems, passengers who bought "Unlimited Dining" and "Unlimited Drinking Packages" are not using those packages when they go ashore. The cruise lines make money from shore excursions from every port they stop in.

The cruise lines can transparently keep their "Per Person Cabin Price" the same because the cost of the additional port stops are hidden in "Taxes and Port Fees" which are quietly added at the end of the booking.

Just like the four dollar increase in gratuities is not reflected in the "Per Person Cabin Cost" until you check out the last day, the port fees become invisible until you get to the final total.

Many of Royal's ships are registered in the Bahamas. This gives them more influence over the ports that they visit in the Bahamas as they seek better financial terms or priority in assigning port docks.

I could go on and on but you get the theme I am presenting.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

The cruise ships that are not American registered must stop at least once during a cruise that originates and returns from an American port.

Royal like most cruise lines, saves money when their ships are docked because they are not using their propulsion systems, passengers who bought "Unlimited Dining" and "Unlimited Drinking Packages" are not using those packages when they go ashore. The cruise lines make money from shore excursions from every port they stop in.

The cruise lines can transparently keep their "Per Person Cabin Price" the same because the cost of the additional port stops are hidden in "Taxes and Port Fees" which are quietly added at the end of the booking.

Just like the four dollar increase in gratuities is not reflected in the "Per Person Cabin Cost" until you check out the last day, the port fees become invisible until you get to the final total.

Many of Royal's ships are registered in the Bahamas. This gives them more influence over the ports that they visit in the Bahamas as they seek better financial terms or priority in assigning port docks.

I could go on and on but you get the theme I am presenting.

I am correcting this post that the port charges are added at the end of the original purchase but they are not advertised in big print when you shop for cruise prices.

Another correction would be that gratuities are mentioned at the end of the booking process but again are not calculated into the advertisements for "2 People to a cabin per person cost on the least expensive prices."