How bad is Cococay with 11000 people?

On 3/13/2024 at 7:32 AM, Neosophy said:

The Allure is going to be in port with us (Anthem) both in Nassau and then CoCoCay the next day.  Five ships total in Nassau with 22500 total people gives us some concern about our Atlantis waterpark plans, but hopefully the $200 ticket price will keep some folks away.

More concerning is CoCoCay.  Anyone been there with two large ships before? 

We have a Waterpark Cabana we reserved early, but we are considering dropping it for Beach Club day pass if CoCoCay is going to be so packed that the kids (8 and 11) would get little time on the slides.  We are thinking that at the Beach Club we could get floating mats and snorkel gear and they could enjoy the ocean instead.

As others have noted, getting off early is a big help.  This is especially true with the water park, where kids can go on the slides with more ease.  As well, you have a Cabana and there is a limit to the number of tickets for the waterpark, so you are good.  Enjoy!

Posted (edited)

We were there on a fully booked Oasis (lots of 4 in the room) and Jewel of the Seas April (Spring Break) 2023. We vetoed the water park and I'm glad we did. The lines for that weren't bad for the first 30 min, but by 11 am the slide lines were long! We heard one person say they waited 45 min for the slide around 12:30pm. Those lines stayed until 4pm, and all aboard was 4:30 for both ships.

Our group had kids 5, 10, 11,12, and 16-18. They just played on all the free stuff and enjoyed themselves. We switched to the back beach and that was quieter with more chairs available. 

Edited by bestcee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, gavvy said:

Does anyone know why all ships seem to go to Nassau?

they do? In all the years of cruising, we've managed to visit Nassau only once (on RCI). We went to the Blue Lagoon, and it was glorious!

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

The cruise ships that are not American registered must stop at least once during a cruise that originates and returns from an American port.

Huh?  All ships don't stop there during a cruise from the US.

Edited by BND

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, gavvy said:

Does anyone know why all ships seem to go to Nassau? Do RCL have some sort of obligation to go there or something. While it's not the worst place to be there must be other places nearby they could mix it up with? Or is that not the case?

I wouldn't say we were disappointed with the island but I can see how it would get old quick to frequent cruiser's 

I usually sail from New Jersey and Nassau is one of the few places that can be reached on a 7-night sail.  The last time (February 9). there were 6 ships at the same time--2 RCL, 2 Carnival and 2 MSC.  Port Canaveral had either 7 or 8 spread out.

Wonderful view from the Anthem's North Star.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BND said:

Well if course not all do. But for such a meh place there does seem to be an awful lot of ships from all companies going there. 

2 minutes ago, gavvy said:

Well if course not all do. But for such a meh place there does seem to be an awful lot of ships from all companies going there. 

2 minutes ago, gavvy said:

You are correct. My intent that it is an easy port that can hold up to seven ships at a time. As opposed to Coco Cay that can only handle two. Bimini might handle two ships.

Nassau can handle a huge amount of port excursions and activities which is key driver of cruise company income.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

You are correct. My intent that it is an easy port that can hold up to seven ships at a time. As opposed to Coco Cay that can only handle two. Bimini might handle two ships.

Nassau can handle a huge amount of port excursions and activities which is key driver of cruise company income.

That's not what you said. You said they "must" stop there at least once during a cruise. 

26 minutes ago, BND said:

That's not what you said. You said they "must" stop there at least once during a cruise. 

They meant they must stop at a port outside the US

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BND said:

I think he meant stop somewhere, not necessarily Nassau. However, with RCI doing so many short cruises these days I think Nassau and CC are convenient ways to meet the letter of the law.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think he meant stop somewhere, not necessarily Nassau. However, with RCI doing so many short cruises these days I think Nassau and CC are convenient ways to meet the letter of the law.

You are correct, I should have clarified that it is not a "must" stop but a convenient way of meeting legal requirements when non US flagged ships start and stop in a US port.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

No idea why there is so much hate on Nassau. I really like it there.

Same here.    We have had some great days exploring the island.    I think some people just get off the ship and walk around to shop or find a restaurant vs. leaving the port area and checking out what the island has to offer.

• Like 1