Down to the packing for April in The Netherlands

1of4

Well we first booked a Christmas Markets river cruise in November of 2019 with the best of intentions and much excitement. Well you all know what happened. That trip was switched to a South of France voyage but an unexpected brain surgery put a hault to those plans. After recovering I switched back to a Christmas Market cruise for 2023 but my doctor would not allow me to go only because it would be winter and the possibility of slippery cobblestones. So here we are, less than a month away from embarking on our Scenic Tulip Time plus Belgium tour which was changed by Scenic into a Chef’s Culinary Tour. 

Our first River cruise was the 11 day Seine voyage also on Scenic in August of 2019. Being Canadian, cold doesn’t affect us as much but this winter has been less harsh. Does anyone know if The Netherlands has had a warmer than average winter?  I don’t want to be too warm!  I found the public rooms of the Senic Gem in 2019 to be cool with the air conditioning but what about April?  I guess layering will be the key. 

We are flying to Vienna post voyage for 4 days then flying home from there. I will post a live thread but right now I’m stuck on what to pack. 

Is it this one:

https://www.scenicusa.com/tours/tuaa-stusa/tuaa-stusa-2024-specialty-departure

Sounds like a great cruise!  The usual great Tulip Time itinerary plus specialty chefs adding to the already-great Scenic cuisine.  It was a long and winding road, but you got to the Emerald City [to mix metaphors badly...]

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Is it this one:

https://www.scenicusa.com/tours/tuaa-stusa/tuaa-stusa-2024-specialty-departure

Sounds like a great cruise!  The usual great Tulip Time itinerary plus specialty chefs adding to the already-great Scenic cuisine.  It was a long and winding road, but you got to the Emerald City [to mix metaphors badly...]

Yes, that’s it. It was really a win/win for me since I now walk with a cane so there are many cooking demonstrations and talks onboard. 

Waterproof shoes and a jacket most likely will be needed. Hats and gloves will help with a damp chill. I remember people from the south that did not understand the temperture tulips bloom, they were looking for gloves!

Second seating

• Like 1

On my last culinaire cruise I attended three but I was very lucky and had a great time. We’ve also attended courses ashore one memorable one in Lyon at the Paul Bocuse Institute. My advice get in early and book its great fun. Demonstrations yes and talks, strangely enough one of the more interesting a talk on French state payments, pensions etc. An art class on our Seine cruise with a wonderfully off the wall artist. Another in Lyon an afternoon with a French silk atelier, mind you that cost my DH a pretty penny I love scarves.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Another in Lyon an afternoon with a French silk atelier, mind you that cost my DH a pretty penny I love scarves.

I tried to convince DW to let me buy her a scarf in Lyon at the Atelier de la Soirerie, but she again proved her worth by declining!

Lyon-AtelierdelaSoierie.thumb.jpeg.93d37fed3ea4d4991d71e5adb1b25759.jpeg

Oh come, come a truly beautiful silk scarf if worth its weight in gold, it can finish off many different outfits several times over, as we were in France I thought this one appropriate and on our Seine cruise was stopped in the street and asked by a gentleman if he could buy it as his girlfriend had admired it he was also somewhat shocked that it was French and worn by an Englishwoman.

image.thumb.jpeg.2fd4c9ba50103cd8360b37b85da0ef96.jpeg

Maybe not everyone’s taste but I’m a bit of a Jean Cocteau aficionado.

• Like 1

Okay back to the nitty gritty, our cruise a few years ago from Amsterdam to Basel in April was even cold for the locals, some of the inner city canals were still frozen. Luckily we had been keeping an eye on the weather and here I will give nod to Accuweather I’ve used it a lot. So we packed for layers if you can find silk undergarments, no they don’t have to be fru fru, especially socks then you’ll have toasty toes. By the time we reached Basel we were in short sleeves during the day so you really don’t want heavy jumpers but maybe a cardigan or throw for the evening. Have great cruise, enjoy.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 1of4 said:

We was the 11 day Seine voyage also on Scenic in August of 2019. Being Canadian, cold doesn’t affect us as much but this winter has been less harsh. Does anyone know if The Netherlands has had a warmer than average winter?  I don’t want to be too warm!  I found the public rooms of the Senic Gem in 2019 to be cool with the air conditioning but what about April?  I guess layering will be the key. 

I've been watching weather for our upcoming Moselle cruise for next year (I like to plan ahead!). I'm in the eastern part of Ontario, and temps in Amsterdam have been warmer than us by a couple of degrees or so, so pack for what you are getting at home (unless you are from T Bay...then temps will be warmer!). Make sure you have good shoes, wet cobblestones can be just as slippery as icy ones. If you are used to our cold, I'd say a 3 season jacket, long pants, tops that can layer would probably work.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Daisi said:

I've been watching weather for our upcoming Moselle cruise for next year (I like to plan ahead!). I'm in the eastern part of Ontario, and temps in Amsterdam have been warmer than us by a couple of degrees or so, so pack for what you are getting at home (unless you are from T Bay...then temps will be warmer!). Make sure you have good shoes, wet cobblestones can be just as slippery as icy ones. If you are used to our cold, I'd say a 3 season jacket, long pants, tops that can layer would probably work.

Thanks!  I’ve been watching too but not all winter. We live on top of the Niagara Escarpment so in the snow and tornado alleys. I guess I will just pack like I would for a vacation in Ontario but include hat and mittens for the windy areas. Thanks for the warning about wet cobblestones!

• Like 1