Getting to Cape Liberty from Manhattan using public transport

Hi all,

What is the best and most economic way to get to the Cape Liberty Port from Manhattan. My husband and I are travelling from the Caribbean so we will be using public transport. I have been plugging in from Penn Station or the Port Authority Bus Terminal but have been getting no directions on google unless you are driving and got some info on a site called rometorio which honestly I am not that familiar with. So decided to ask in the best place🙂. Thanks in advance for your help.

3 hours ago, mirrs20 said:

Hi all,

What is the best and most economic way to get to the Cape Liberty Port from Manhattan. My husband and I are travelling from the Caribbean so we will be using public transport. I have been plugging in from Penn Station or the Port Authority Bus Terminal but have been getting no directions on google unless you are driving and got some info on a site called rometorio which honestly I am not that familiar with. So decided to ask in the best place🙂. Thanks in advance for your help.

To give you complete instructions we'd have to know exactly where in Manhattan your trip is originating and what day of the week you'll be traveling. That information will affect which PATH train line to take and where to transfer to Hudson Bergen Light Rail.

Absent that information, the general instructions would using a PATH train from Manhattan to New Jersey, transferring to the Hudson Bergen Light Rail, taking the Hudson Bergen Light Rail to the 34th St station in Bayonne and then taking a short taxi or Uber ride from the 34th St station to the cruise terminal.

Unfortunately there's no way to make that last short segment of the trip using mass transit so taxi or Uber is necessary.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, mirrs20 said:

Hi all,

What is the best and most economic way to get to the Cape Liberty Port from Manhattan.

PATH train from NYC $2.75  $1.25 senior/child

Hudson Bergen Light Rail to 34th Street Bayonne $2.25   $1.10 senior/child

Uber from 34th Street to CL $9-16  or Taxi $9-12 

Edited by meadowlander
  • Like 1

Hi. Where is your hotel located or will you be coming directly from JFK?

if you are near Penn Station you can find the PATH train to Bayonne on 33rd Street. You need to exit Penn Station and walk. It’s not far. But if you are near the World Trade Center you can catch the PATH train there. 

It tried this many years ago 

Was arriving greyhound at Port authority

I took a bus to hobokan, and then gave up and took a cab

I thought it was just me 

Talking to somebody on the ship

Person was a local from new jersey.

I was asked " but how did you get from Manhattan to here,'.

It felt like an American race.

Since I am from Montreal,

On the way home, I had met a nice couple from Burlington

Asked them if they would drop us in Albany.

Saved about 6 hours getting home that day.

I know this does not help you

But lesson learnt, I would not have booked a departure from cape liberty.

I have since discovered Yankee trails and it is a game changer. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Hi. Where is your hotel located or will you be coming directly from JFK?

if you are near Penn Station you can find the PATH train to Bayonne on 33rd Street. You need to exit Penn Station and walk. It’s not far. But if you are near the World Trade Center you can catch the PATH train there. 

We are actually coming from Brooklyn into Manhattan via subway so we were using either Penn Station or the Port Authority Bus Terminal as potential points to start our route to the cruise terminal. 

It depends on how you can handle your luggage to determine how extensively you would use public transportation from subway/bus to commuter rail.

If you can handle your luggage on a subway, then I have done NYC Subway to PATH to HBLR and then Uber from HBLR to the Port and this has been from/to Brooklyn on a weekday when PATH has a lot more options. 

• Like 1