Formal Night

dacf

Before covid, we use to cruise a lot with Carnival and we did a couple of Princess too.   Anyhow everyone dressed up on formal nights, I loved it!   Now fast forward 18mths ago - after covid, we did a Mexican cruise on Navigator of the Seas and both my husband and I felt over dressed and felt like the odd duck on both formal nights as nobody at our table dressed up in their formal wear.  We even found that only a very small portion of passengers actually did dress up.  So for this cruise - Celebrity Equinox leaving March 23rd, do people still dress up on formal nights on Celebrity?

Thanks for your help, just trying to get a grip if we should pack our formal wear or not.  We do enjoy our formal nights but we won't pack it if most people won't be in their formal wear.

Thanks for any input you can offer 🙂

4 minutes ago, dacf said:

Before covid, we use to cruise a lot with Carnival and we did a couple of Princess too.   Anyhow everyone dressed up on formal nights, I loved it!   Now fast forward 18mths ago - after covid, we did a Mexican cruise on Navigator of the Seas and both my husband and I felt over dressed and felt like the odd duck on both formal nights as nobody at our table dressed up in their formal wear.  We even found that only a very small portion of passengers actually did dress up.  So for this cruise - Celebrity Equinox leaving March 23rd, do people still dress up on formal nights on Celebrity?

Thanks for your help, just trying to get a grip if we should pack our formal wear or not.  We do enjoy our formal nights but we won't pack it if most people won't be in their formal wear.

Thanks for any input you can offer 🙂

There is no formal night on Celebrity, it's called evening chic.  Most will not be in formal attire, but a few will.  My question to you would be, if you enjoy dressing up in formal attire, why would you let how others are/are not dressed, have any sway on what you get enjoyment from?

Posted (edited)

RCCL and Celebrity dropped the official "formal nights" years ago.  On every cruise we are on there are always those who dress formally, including tuxes and gowns. In our experience, however, most people dress nicely, but more casually. But dress as you feel and be comfortable regardless how others are dressed. Personal choice.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thanks so much for your input.   It's fun when everyone participates, but honestly it's a lot easier leaving it at home, less baggage to lug through the airport.   I really appreciate your feedback, have a great evening!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dacf said:

Thanks so much for your input.   It's fun when everyone participates, but honestly it's a lot easier leaving it at home, less baggage to lug through the airport.   I really appreciate your feedback, have a great evening!

I agree with you! I love to see everyone dressing up and I love dressing up, BUT our goal is to pack one hikers’ backpack and small bag per person for a 7-day cruise. I’m sure I can fit in a slinky little dress, but no to extra heels, and no to a suit jacket for the Mr. 

44 minutes ago, OrtonPark said:

I agree with you! I love to see everyone dressing up and I love dressing up, BUT our goal is to pack one hikers’ backpack and small bag per person for a 7-day cruise. I’m sure I can fit in a slinky little dress, but no to extra heels, and no to a suit jacket for the Mr. 

I totally agree with you!! 

3 hours ago, dacf said:

You should dress the way you want to!  Personally I love to get dressed up.  I love wearing my tux!  I love it when my wife dresses formally.  If you want to get dressed up you should!  Don't let anyone talk you out of it.  It is your cruise!

Elvis  

• Like 3

While a tux and formal gown would indeed stand out on 'chic' nights now (which you may enjoy - if so, go for it!), a shirt/tie and a cocktail dress would blend in nicely and are way easier to pack.

On a seven (7) days cruise on new The Ascent cruise ship how many Chic Nights are there? Is it two (2) nights or one night? I said it is two (2) nights.

Can so one please give me the correct answer. 

5 minutes ago, cruise47 said:

On a seven (7) days cruise on new The Ascent cruise ship how many Chic Nights are there? Is it two (2) nights or one night? I said it is two (2) nights.

Can so one please give me the correct answer. 

absolutely, positively maybe two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't mean to change the topic, but I heard that we're not allowed to bring a travelling steamer on board, so without spending money to get the wrinkles out of our clothes, does anyone one have any tricks?  Especially on formal night or really any evening, I don't want to walk around looking like we've slept in our clothes. Thanks for any help you can offer

27 minutes ago, dacf said:

I don't mean to change the topic, but I heard that we're not allowed to bring a travelling steamer on board, so without spending money to get the wrinkles out of our clothes, does anyone one have any tricks?  Especially on formal night or really any evening, I don't want to walk around looking like we've slept in our clothes. Thanks for any help you can offer

I don’t really see what you are worried about. Nobody onboard has a steamer and I don’t remember ever seeing people walking around the ship like they’ve slept in their clothes. Maybe you just need a few tips on how to pack. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, dacf said:

I hang anything wrinkled in the shower while running a hot shower. It only takes a couple of minutes and I can smooth any wrinkles out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dacf said:

I always carry a travel sized bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release in my luggage.  I spray my close when I unpack and hang them up and they look completely wrinkle-free within minutes.  

4 hours ago, Salt Lifer said:

I always carry a travel sized bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release in my luggage.  I spray my close when I unpack and hang them up and they look completely wrinkle-free within minutes.  

Ohhh what a great idea!!  Thanks, I'll pick some up!

7 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I don't usually do short cruises, but I've booked a B2B and both of them are fewer than 7 nights.  Do they do evening chic on those cruises?  Don't want to pack it and then find out it was unnecessary.

It is unnecessary even on the longer cruises.  Few do...