My take on the current state of NCL.

kodos

I have been cruising Norwegian exclusively for over 25 years. I have been on this forum for a long time too. It has been an invaluable resource for planning out my trips. I am recently off the Bliss Mexican Rivera sailing and I thought I'd give my take on the state of things at NCL. 

This was my fifth Mexican Riviera cruise and my third time on the Bliss. I have sailed on every class of NCL ship from the Sea, Dream and Wind days all the way to the Prima. I have even tried the Haven once on the Bliss during the early Covid restart deals. I have seen plenty of changes in all the that time. Mostly good but some bad too. 

I feel like NCL eventually learns from their mistakes. Sometimes they react to customer feedback and other times they only react to financial failure. I try to answer their surveys in the hopes that they listen and they do read these forums so they are aware of some of the negative feedback. 

So what did I see on board relative to what I have read? The great cookie scarcity? Mostly true. Cookies were not to be found in the buffet. But they can and do make them. We had them every day in the Vibe. My suspicion is Haven still has cookies available for the Butlers to deliver to their guests and because the Vibe is near their galley an enterprising bartender got us cookies. I never saw hash browns or eggs Benedict at the buffet but there again they can make them since they are served at the sit down restaurants. I was a little concerned about them pulling food out of the observation lounge but it was available last week on the Bliss. The Bliss is fully setup to both have food and clean it up so it doesn't make sense to pull that but I can see that the Prima class isn't as well set up. Not sure what other doom and gloom I can confirm or deny. 

I don't see a huge recent decline in food quality. I agree that things are different post covid shutdown and menus have changed since then. I just don't see a big difference from one or two years ago. I miss some of the older menu items. The portions seem smaller which I actually welcome since I hate so much food waste and it's not like you can't order more if you want. Supply chain still seems to be the big problem for them. Everything from what food they can source to what alcohol they get. They either don't have it or run out off things. This is obviously my opinion. One of the reason so I have stayed with Norwegian is the food works for me. I always read online how bad it is relative to other cruise lines but many of these cruise lines cost more and that cost would ultimately be lost on me. 

My biggest area of let down is entertainment. It is the one thing that previously set NCL apart from other lines. It is not that the shows they have are bad. They are actually very well done it is just they don't change often enough which makes it difficult to cruise frequently. Before the big production shows they had shorter run shows with more variety. I was really impressed with Jersey boys the first time I saw it in 2019. I was OK seeing it again in 2022. I can't watch it a third time. I probably could have watched Six a third time but they have gotten rid of that show. I loved Syd's the first time. Probably the second and third too. But no matter the ship or cast the set list is the same and the entire script down to the jokes is the same. It needs a refresh. The Beetles show too, good the first few times but not sure I can do it again. Even Siglo a popular band on the Bliss hasn't changed their setlist. On average I cruise once a year. I would hate to think that is too much cruising to have variety in entertainment. I know the magic shows and jugglers weren't always the greatest but at least they were different every time. 

In the end cruises have to make money and they lost an awful lot during covid. They have always had profit centers on the ship from bingo to internet. I personally would rather them make money on optional things that I can choose not to buy than to increase the fare price. Through all these cruise I have learned how NCL works and I have adapted my vacations to make the most of what they offer and to navigate around their shortcomings. I concede that as a first timer to NCL or coming from another cruise line that the gradual changes I have observed might be more abrupt.

I'm running out of routes to do and with the lack of entertainment I might be forced to only do new ships if they have new shows. I've done cruises just for the ship on routes I have done before but as much as I love the Bliss I just don't think I can do it again. I'm at a bit of crossroads. I'm considering trying Virgin or maybe do some land based vacations until I miss cruising too much. 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6

Well said. My sentiments exactly.

Food is the most debated topic on every forum on this Board. I too have never had a bad meal aboard any ship we have ever been on. Did I like every meal? No, but that is just dependant on how I felt that particular day. Quantities are just right and if you wanted more, all anyone has to do is ask.

Entertainment is an area I feel is lacking too. We would have liked to see the Beatles show on bliss but with a line up an hour before the show, we just did not want to wait. The empty theatre would easily accommodate it.

Cruising is a business and all businesses are in it to make money. Why should NCL be any different? We have only been on 3 NCL cruises and enjoyed them all. Never felt undeserved or neglected or starving.

Changing the entertainment too often would also create a problem.

If someone reads a good review about the entertainment on the same cruise that they’ve booked and will sail next year, they might expect and want to see the same show when they sail. 

• Like 1

So I agree with everything said! I have sailed and worked onboard NCL all the way back to the Sea, Dream, Crown days ( Even worked onboard the Marco Polo when NCL owned Orient Lines). Entertainment I believe is the biggest area I have seen decline in the past few years. The one thing that used to be great was each ship had a Production cast that performed 3 different shows(the best was when NCL had the Jean Ann Ryan Company) throughout a 7 day cruise. Then the remaining nights would be filled with guest entertainers such as Vocalists, Comedians, Prop comedy etc..These entertainers would stay onboard for a week to sometimes a few months. This was perfect as if you cruise 3 or 4 times a year on the same ship at least you would have different guests entertainers. 

I understand the reasoning on budget cuts and removing high priced shows such as Blue Man Group, Jersey Boys etc. but its a little bit of a let down. I sailed RCCL Symphony of the seas about a year and a half ago and I much prefer NCL but RCCL entertainment on the Oasis Class ships was very impressive. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

"Changing the entertainment too often would also create a problem."

True I can see that as an issue but that also happens already. NCL has ended their relationship with plenty of entertainment companies over years and Six was one of the shows when I booked year ago only for them to end that show a few weeks ago. The Bliss was built in 2018 and refurbed in 2021. Five years isn't an unreasonable amount of time to expect a show refresh. The Syd Norman's show has been going 10 years without a change the script and I expect there are other 10 years old shows still going. 

I assume part of their answer is the game shows since audience participation will make things a little different every time but I wouldn't go see the Price is Right again. The most interesting part was the history of the show video they showed before the game. The investment in comedy also provides some variety since different comics are booked.

I don't know what the answer is and for me this only is a problem because I am a frequent NCL cruiser.  If I hadn't been on so many ships I might not be out of entertainment choices. 

Edited by kodos
forgot quote
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

Absolutely my observation as well.

Depends on the ship, you might get stuck with Cats as the headliner.

Of course everyone's opinion of what's "good" entertainment can differ because we all have different tastes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:

Isn't it amazing how well-received an OP can be when the guns remain in the holsters and they don't come out screaming "Free at Sea is a marketing SCAM!!!!"?

Funny how that works.

Don't worry, someone will chime in that they're going to take off the DSC because they didn't like the entertainment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, kodos said:

I have been cruising Norwegian exclusively for over 25 years. I have been on this forum for a long time too. It has been an invaluable resource for planning out my trips. I am recently off the Bliss Mexican Rivera sailing and I thought I'd give my take on the state of things at NCL. 

This was my fifth Mexican Riviera cruise and my third time on the Bliss. I have sailed on every class of NCL ship from the Sea, Dream and Wind days all the way to the Prima. I have even tried the Haven once on the Bliss during the early Covid restart deals. I have seen plenty of changes in all the that time. Mostly good but some bad too. 

I feel like NCL eventually learns from their mistakes. Sometimes they react to customer feedback and other times they only react to financial failure. I try to answer their surveys in the hopes that they listen and they do read these forums so they are aware of some of the negative feedback. 

So what did I see on board relative to what I have read? The great cookie scarcity? Mostly true. Cookies were not to be found in the buffet. But they can and do make them. We had them every day in the Vibe. My suspicion is Haven still has cookies available for the Butlers to deliver to their guests and because the Vibe is near their galley an enterprising bartender got us cookies. I never saw hash browns or eggs Benedict at the buffet but there again they can make them since they are served at the sit down restaurants. I was a little concerned about them pulling food out of the observation lounge but it was available last week on the Bliss. The Bliss is fully setup to both have food and clean it up so it doesn't make sense to pull that but I can see that the Prima class isn't as well set up. Not sure what other doom and gloom I can confirm or deny. 

I don't see a huge recent decline in food quality. I agree that things are different post covid shutdown and menus have changed since then. I just don't see a big difference from one or two years ago. I miss some of the older menu items. The portions seem smaller which I actually welcome since I hate so much food waste and it's not like you can't order more if you want. Supply chain still seems to be the big problem for them. Everything from what food they can source to what alcohol they get. They either don't have it or run out off things. This is obviously my opinion. One of the reason so I have stayed with Norwegian is the food works for me. I always read online how bad it is relative to other cruise lines but many of these cruise lines cost more and that cost would ultimately be lost on me. 

My biggest area of let down is entertainment. It is the one thing that previously set NCL apart from other lines. It is not that the shows they have are bad. They are actually very well done it is just they don't change often enough which makes it difficult to cruise frequently. Before the big production shows they had shorter run shows with more variety. I was really impressed with Jersey boys the first time I saw it in 2019. I was OK seeing it again in 2022. I can't watch it a third time. I probably could have watched Six a third time but they have gotten rid of that show. I loved Syd's the first time. Probably the second and third too. But no matter the ship or cast the set list is the same and the entire script down to the jokes is the same. It needs a refresh. The Beetles show too, good the first few times but not sure I can do it again. Even Siglo a popular band on the Bliss hasn't changed their setlist. On average I cruise once a year. I would hate to think that is too much cruising to have variety in entertainment. I know the magic shows and jugglers weren't always the greatest but at least they were different every time. 

In the end cruises have to make money and they lost an awful lot during covid. They have always had profit centers on the ship from bingo to internet. I personally would rather them make money on optional things that I can choose not to buy than to increase the fare price. Through all these cruise I have learned how NCL works and I have adapted my vacations to make the most of what they offer and to navigate around their shortcomings. I concede that as a first timer to NCL or coming from another cruise line that the gradual changes I have observed might be more abrupt.

I'm running out of routes to do and with the lack of entertainment I might be forced to only do new ships if they have new shows. I've done cruises just for the ship on routes I have done before but as much as I love the Bliss I just don't think I can do it again. I'm at a bit of crossroads. I'm considering trying Virgin or maybe do some land based vacations until I miss cruising too much. 

Well said

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kodos said:

"Changing the entertainment too often would also create a problem."

True I can see that as an issue but that also happens already. NCL has ended their relationship with plenty of entertainment companies over years and Six was one of the shows when I booked year ago only for them to end that show a few weeks ago. The Bliss was built in 2018 and refurbed in 2021. Five years isn't an unreasonable amount of time to expect a show refresh. The Syd Norman's show has been going 10 years without a change the script and I expect there are other 10 years old shows still going. 

I assume part of their answer is the game shows since audience participation will make things a little different every time but I wouldn't go see the Price is Right again. The most interesting part was the history of the show video they showed before the game. The investment in comedy also provides some variety since different comics are booked.

I don't know what the answer is and for me this only is a problem because I am a frequent NCL cruiser.  If I hadn't been on so many ships I might not be out of entertainment choices. 

After doing two behind the scenes tours in Dec 23, (Bliss and Breakaway), it was time for the Six - NCL relationship to end.

The production company that owns Six was placing more restrictions and tighter controls on the performances.  It was driving the stage manager and work crew crazy, along with the performers.

On the Breakaway, they added an extra night featuring additional songs, although 2 of them were Christmas rock songs.  (It was the week of Christmas).  Those 2 songs were also performed in the large theater Christmas production, which featured all the singers on board. 

It appears that Prom night on Viva is now held in the theater, with the seats retracted, for a group dance floor.   Just a twist on things.

We haven't seen any of the named game shows, but will probably try to see Wheel of Fortune when offered. 

3 hours ago, dhanakorn said:

Changing the entertainment too often would also create a problem.

If someone reads a good review about the entertainment on the same cruise that they’ve booked and will sail next year, they might expect and want to see the same show when they sail. 

I know what you mean. When we sailed the Epic in 2012, we were really looking forward to seeing Slam Allen. We read so many good things about him, plus he is from my hometown and I know one of his musician uncles. When we boarded we found out he was on his 6 months off. There was a meet and greet with the officer in charge of entertainment being one of the participants. I told him we were disappointed and why. (I will admit there was a lot of fine entertainment. I later tried to call that officer (who had left his contact information) to tell him we did enjoy the entertainment, but was unable to reach him.

We have seen him since, and I told him about missing him on the cruise. (It was actually a cruise for our 30th anniversary.

8 hours ago, kodos said:

As a first timer on NCL next month, I really, *really* appreciate your nuanced commentary!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panhandle Couple said:

It appears that Prom night on Viva is now held in the theater...

can you tell us more about this?

why do think it appears that is so?

are you saying you saw a "syd's" prom show presented in the theatre? with the syd's cast and characters as normally presented in syd norman's pourhouse?

if so, that would either be a violation of the contract or that means the contract has been renegotiated. i'm skeptical that either of these things has taken place, but i could be wrong. 

11 minutes ago, UKstages said:

if so, that would either be a violation of the contract or that means the contract has been renegotiated. i'm skeptical that either of these things has taken place, but i could be wrong. 

I'm guessing they are confusing Prom night with White/Glow night, which was normally in the Social, or other locations depending on the ship. Syd's Prom night is never performed in the theatre.

14 hours ago, UKstages said:

can you tell us more about this?

why do think it appears that is so?

are you saying you saw a "syd's" prom show presented in the theatre? with the syd's cast and characters as normally presented in syd norman's pourhouse?

U tube video taken on the Viva.

3 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

U tube video taken on the Viva.

a youtube video of what?

a syd's scripted prom show performed by the syd's cast in the theatre or, as somebody suggested above, a generic prom "party?"

I watched 4 or 5 U tube videos of Viva reviews a few weeks ago.  At least 1 showed the Prom night in the theater.  Which one?  I don't have the time to go back and re-review.   I'll leave that up to you.   Or you can ask any current Viva sailings if this is true.

Why is this shocking news?  UKstages has stated that the Prom night is just a collection of 1980's songs. Any other band could perform the set in the US.  What contract ties it to Syd Normans? (which is a fictional character)

WaywardSon, suggest you review the Viva and the theater there, it is very different from std NCL theaters.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

WaywardSon, suggest you review the Viva and the theater there, it is very different from std NCL theaters.

I don't need to review anything. I've seen it. It has retractable seating that turns into a dance floor. Perfect for Glow/White and other parties, which take place in the Social on other ships.

Syd's Prom Night is not done in the theatre on Prima or Viva.

I was on the Viva in January for a Caribbean cruise out of San Juan. The Prom show was absolutely in the theatre. I was under the impression that this was a one time change due to some logistical issue. For what it is worth, the show worked fine in the big room. There were people on the floor dancing and the rest of us sat in the seats in the upper level. The artists did their best to make the show interactive even coming up into the seating area with some of the performance. So it is true that the Prom show (at least on Viva) is not always happening the smaller room. Frankly the smaller room on the Viva is almost more hassle than it is worth, people were in line for a half hour before the Fleetwood Mac show so that they could have a place to sit and watch the show. And don't get me started on the silly bowling alley room that they use for Comedy on the Viva. It's weird that the things that they most know are going to be popular are in such tiny spaces...

On 3/15/2024 at 9:49 AM, kodos said:

it is just they don't change often enough which makes it difficult to cruise frequently.

First off, good post.  Measured, honest, no hysteria!

Regarding tired entertainment, I am shocked no one has mentioned Elements and Blazing Boots. These are long time staples on the older and middle-aged ships. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:

I don't need to review anything. I've seen it. It has retractable seating that turns into a dance floor. Perfect for Glow/White and other parties, which take place in the Social on other ships.

Syd's Prom Night is not done in the theatre on Prima or Viva.

See: (U tube)

The Wanderful Life - Norwegian Viva S. Caribbean Cruise - Day 5 (St. Lucia - The Pitons)

We've been cruising with NCL for many years.  Their itineraries are still some of the best, but, frankly, virtually every other aspect of the experience has gone way down.  Entertainment now consists mostly of game shows.  The few production numbers are mediocre at best.  There is limited music around the ship except in the small venues where you have to line up early to get a seat. We used to enjoy having a drink in the atrium before dinner and listening to live music.  Now it is a game show or a trivia contest or one of the endless presentations about NCL ships and itineraries which are pure marketing posing as entertainment.

I know food is subjective, but I still find it amazing that anyone could find the offerings to even be at the quality of a Chili's or Appleby's.  It's not a supply chain issue as many claim.  That excuse ended a couple of years ago, and besides, NCL apparently has no issue sourcing quality ingredients for the Haven restaurants.  We found the food there to be quite good on the Bliss in December.  Even the specialty restaurants have become hit-or-miss.  Mt wife had the toughest, most tasteless, filet in Cagneys a few months ago.  I'm convinced it wasn't a tenderloin at all.  I had a fried seafood platter in Ocean Blue last month that contained a breaded and fried salmon filet as the fried fish component.  Nobody uses anything but a white fish to fry.  It was horrible.  I've also started ordering double appetizers and entrees in the MDR to combat the small portions and hoping to find at least something halfway decent.  We still have a couple of CruiseNext certificates to use up, but we've decided to move on after that.

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, FredZiffle said:

We've been cruising with NCL for many years.  Their itineraries are still some of the best, but, frankly, virtually every other aspect of the experience has gone way down.  Entertainment now consists mostly of game shows.  The few production numbers are mediocre at best.  There is limited music around the ship except in the small venues where you have to line up early to get a seat. We used to enjoy having a drink in the atrium before dinner and listening to live music.  Now it is a game show or a trivia contest or one of the endless presentations about NCL ships and itineraries which are pure marketing posing as entertainment.

I know food is subjective, but I still find it amazing that anyone could find the offerings to even be at the quality of a Chili's or Appleby's.  It's not a supply chain issue as many claim.  That excuse ended a couple of years ago, and besides, NCL apparently has no issue sourcing quality ingredients for the Haven restaurants.  We found the food there to be quite good on the Bliss in December.  Even the specialty restaurants have become hit-or-miss.  Mt wife had the toughest, most tasteless, filet in Cagneys a few months ago.  I'm convinced it wasn't a tenderloin at all.  I had a fried seafood platter in Ocean Blue last month that contained a breaded and fried salmon filet as the fried fish component.  Nobody uses anything but a white fish to fry.  It was horrible.  I've also started ordering double appetizers and entrees in the MDR to combat the small portions and hoping to find at least something halfway decent.  We still have a couple of CruiseNext certificates to use up, but we've decided to move on after that.

You speak the truth.

• Like 1