Sun Princess - Spellbound question

4 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Is prime rib that special?  As someone who doesn’t eat dead cow, it looks disgusting.  Raw and just a big slab of meat. Living in Boston, the fact that people get all ramped up about the lobster they serve on a ship is ridiculous too. 

If you enjoy this, then enjoy. 

But for me, this whole “prime rib trolly cart” in the Signature restaurant is a complete joke. 

Lol, as a fellow Bostonian, I’d have to agree that the lobster you get on a cruise (ANY cruise) is just sad compared to what you get in New England…especially for the price.  And while I agree prime rib is not “special,” I do love some tasty cow! 🤤

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CatMom72 said:

Lol, as a fellow Bostonian, I’d have to agree that the lobster you get on a cruise (ANY cruise) is just sad compared to what you get in New England…especially for the price.  And while I agree prime rib is not “special,” I do love some tasty cow! 🤤

I knew I liked you!

• Haha 1

On 3/27/2024 at 5:11 PM, Astro Flyer said:

The article I shared in post #58 has info from a travel writer who went to Spellbound. Although the dinner was not included in his experience he did describe more about it including writing:

“Guests will start the evening with dinner in the Horizons Dining Room, choosing from a menu not found elsewhere on board”.

Also in the screenshot posted by ‘azbirdmom’ dress pants and blazer with a collared shirt & tie are allowed in addition to a suit & tie.

image.png.15463b376c3e85f8df5952180e7660ca.png

For us, this is not that formal…

• Like 2

On 3/26/2024 at 3:58 PM, partybarbie said:

I really want to attend. We bring formal clothes, so no worries there. I think it’s pricey, but I will go at least once. Since we’ll be in England, might even wear my fascinator. 

But… but… fascinators are day wear. Rock a tiara!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I'm booked on May 4 cruise and have been waiting and checking often for "Spellbound" reservation option to appear, which for me IT HAS NOT APPEARED. At this point I don't know if it's sold out or not for our 7 day cruise (which runs concurrently with a 14day and 21day cruise all boarding on May4).

I have a number of issues with Princess that I won't address here, but a couple that are on topic are the way that Princess is managing COMMUNICATION and the BOOKING systems for dining.

In my case (it seems to me) that on my "concurrent" cruise, passengers with the shortest cruise should be offered the opportunity to book first followed by those on the 14 day and lastly those on the 21 since this would provide all passengers 7 days of exclusive booking for their portion of their cruise BUT WHO KNOW's HOW PRINCESS IS MANAGING THESE BOOKINGS since there has been little to NO COMMUNICATION..

Princess has done an EXTREAMLY poor job of communication over all (just take a look at the posts regarding  sailing and port cancellations) and in this case, emails that indicate events (dining & wine tasting in particular) can be booked only to find when you select "Booking" in the email the link only tells you "Coming Soon" and when you call in to Customer Service OR your "Cruise Planner" they recite what you can read in the App or Princess web AND then tell you 'book once you are on board'. OR 'it's coming soon keep checking the App.

Due to a Princess EZ Fly issue which placed charges on my account in error after I had made my final payment, I was unable to make dinner reservations via the App because the error showed "payment due" which prevented me from being able to book/see dinner reservations until end of Feb..

At this point with 24 days until sailing I haven't been able to book any "Specialty" restaurants. When I check these restaurants now only a very few have any times and those are 5:00 or 9:00 on 1 or 2 days during our portion of the cruise.

We had hoped  to experience Spellbound, I can somewhat understand the high price for the experience and don't mind the dinner menu however, I do resent bringing/packing a suit/sportscoat/slacks and tie for a single evening of a 7 day cruise only to possibly find out once on board that the show is unavailable to us and I overpacked for nothing..

Mike

Sun Princess May 4 - 11

Reserved Cabana Mini Suite

Princess Premier

Princess Gold

Edited by mikemonster

Just booked our Spellbound for our May 4 cruise. No email announcement I just had "Cruise Critic notify set for this thread and saw the post from Spandance (Thanks)!!

Did have a slight issue with my CC being used needing additional info and had to reenter charge info for my card for some reason, but still got reservations

Mike

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mikemonster said:

Just booked our Spellbound for our May 4 cruise. No email announcement I just had "Cruise Critic notify set for this thread and saw the post from Spandance (Thanks)!!

Did have a slight issue with my CC being used needing additional info and had to reenter charge info for my card for some reason, but still got reservations

Mike

That’s the great thing about CC is getting notified when things open up or are changed. Congratulations on getting a reservation for Spellbound! We have it booked in November as we were able to book a few weeks ago when they opened reservations for a short window of time. We also got our reservation because of other people posting on CC.

• Like 1

Spellbound is on the app for our May 18th cruise (39 days out).  Says coming soon but I was able to book for May 20th with no problems.  All dates list 2 seatings - 6:30 & 8:30. Would have been nice to see an email announcement but we've been checking app a few times a day; it wasnt there this morning but showed up this afternoon! 

• Like 1

This was the first time I saw Spellbound for our May 4 cruise. I didn’t take time to check out time/dates and booked. We are traveling with 2 other couples and it is one of our friends 60th BD and I  was able to book us all for his BD. Then realized it’s a At Sea Day and could have booked an earlier time. I tried to change time but App wouldn’t let me. I tried our “Planner” no help, tried Princess support ( no confidence they wouldn’t screw us up when she said she would need to cancel the existing booking to change time so I just left it at our 8:30 seating.

Again, thanks CC for the heads up to get booked

MM

Just now, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

We just booked it onboard through the suite lounge. Dont need a tie or a blazer. Shhhhh.

Well isn’t that an interesting piece of information.

Princess Cruises = consistently inconsistent!

Thanks “Sox” I was just in the process of looking for a “travel sports coat” but with 3 weeks until our cruise I’ll be waiting to hear if I don’t need one.

please do keep us updated and give your impression of the dinner and show

M

2 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

Well isn’t that an interesting piece of information.

Princess Cruises = consistently inconsistent!

I wonder if the suit-and-tie thing was only required when they were doing the media-only/by-invitation-only events.  I hope so!  @Sox Fan Cruiser, please let us know!

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, CatMom72 said:

I wonder if the suit-and-tie thing was only required when they were doing the media-only/by-invitation-only events.  I hope so!  @Sox Fan Cruiser, please let us know!

No, we went to one of the media only events - no meal for these - and were told to come in whatever you feel comfortable in. After my other half packed a dinner suit lol

Edited by dides
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dides said:

No, we went to one of the media only events - no meal for these - and were told come in whatever you feel comfortable in. After my other half packed a dinner suit lol

I know my husband will be relieved as he, too, is a “fluffy cruiser” and is not a big fan of formal wear.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CatMom72 said:

I know my husband will be relieved as he, too, is a “fluffy cruiser” and is not a big fan of formal wear.

Just a warning then that the seats in the little Spellbound theater have arms and aren't that fluffy friendly. There are some armless bar stools at the back (I hate shuffling onto these) so I grabbed the  single bucket chair in the middle. 

PXL_20240402_173447611_MP2.thumb.jpg.45399c6e4246a90f8f5e11dee63518c7.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CatMom72 said:

I was completely up front with the suite concierge and said I didn’t bring a tie and suit and he started to say “ Well, it doesn’t have to be a suit.” and I told him I don’t have a tie or a blazer with me. So he asked if I have a nice shirt and nice pants and if so I would be fine. He did act like he was “ breaking the rules” a little bit would make an exception. 

I’ll let you all know if I’m the only one dressed down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

We just booked it onboard through the suite lounge. Dont need a tie or a blazer. Shhhhh.

Good to know, now if only the price was more reasonable.

4 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I’ll let you all know if I’m the only one dressed down. 

Confirmation is needed. Speculation and heresay from a contract worker about what will be allowed could result in someone being denied and disappointed. At the Hollywood location, a jacket and tie is a hard and fast, no exceptions rule. In fact, Magic Castle will loan you a jacket and tie if you show up without. Princess isn't going to do that. 

2 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Confirmation is needed. Speculation and heresay from a contract worker about what will be allowed could result in someone being denied and disappointed. At the Hollywood location, a jacket and tie is a hard and fast, no exceptions rule. In fact, Magic Castle will loan you a jacket and tie if you show up without. Princess isn't going to do that. 

They used to say the same thing about entering into the DR and we all know how that was enforced. Could this be much different especially after someone has paid the entrance fee?

This isn't the Magic Castle so their rules could be much different. 

Can anyone going please let us know if there are non-alcoholic 'magic' mocktails available? I realize the charge is for the 'whole' show and I'm happy with the dinner and show, but would like to experience some of the fun with the drinks - but don't drink alcohol so won't be ordering those. 

30 minutes ago, mathgirl314 said:

Can anyone going please let us know if there are non-alcoholic 'magic' mocktails available? I realize the charge is for the 'whole' show and I'm happy with the dinner and show, but would like to experience some of the fun with the drinks - but don't drink alcohol so won't be ordering those. 

They have a full bar and the staff went off to find some non-alcoholic welcome drinks for the two teenagers in our test group. Didn't see anything on a list though.

• Thanks 1