Semi-newbie with lots of questions, TIA

CPs4591

Hi am a semi-newbie.  Outside is a small Windstar, we haven’t done a big ship in 20+ years.  Seems like I’m entering Mars!  Wow, things are different and complex for a newbie.  Please bear with some of these rudimentary questions.  Will take any help you can send my way.  So far on the New Cruisers section, people have been so nice.  Anyway, here are some random things now that we have actually reserved our cruise.  Really are starting from scratch.

We booked the 16 day ocean to Ocean on the Coral Princess in November through the Panama Canal.  It’s a bucket list for both of us and it happens to fall on two milestone birthdays for us.  I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune condition that is impacting me basically day to day.  Many days I am fine.  We’ve always been very active people.  But this has meant some days I can go, go go and others can’t.  We thought a cruise would be a good thing for condition like this.

As a result we decided to do a Premier or whatever it is called Mini-suite.  We also bought the Premiere package.  We may end up with lots of time on the ship. This one seems to have a lot of sea days anyway.

1.  We got a cabin on Dolphin that appears to have one of those bump out balconies.  It is the last one in that row.  We are on the starboard side so facing the ocean.  What are the pros and cons?  Seems like there isn’t a lot of shade and no privacy.  On the other hand seems like the views are good.  Should we try to change rooms?  I did look for a full suite but I guess too late as shows sold out.  Will we be able to have a dinner on this balcony one night?

2.  In that regard, Princess sent me a thing on an upgrade bid.  How do these work and would there be any point if all the suites are currently showing sold out?  How much do we bid?  Or, if there is a thread on this please LMK.

3.  When do they send these Medallion things?  

4.  I did try to logon but there seems to be a glitch as Princess is saying my birthdate doesn’t match their records so I can’t seem to even get on to see the excursions.  Guess I should call and ask?

5.  When can we make special dining reservations?  Can I do on the app?  Am I too late?  Can we get one for the first night since it is my spouse’s special birthday?  

6.  What’s the Sanctuary area all about?

7.  We’re not buffet people.  Can we eat breakfast and lunch in any of the restaurants or just some?  

I’m sure I will have many more questions.  Thanks for any help!

Posted (edited)

@CPs4591

2. Upgrade bid may or may not be a desirable location on ship, if it doesn’t matter to you on location, you may bid. For example, it depends on what category mini suite you have. There are many categories, and they consider each one an upgrade.

3. Medallions ship/ receive about 2-3 weeks prior to embarkation 

5. yes you can make speciality dining reservations on app 

6.The Sanctuary - just for adults

A luxurious spa-inspired top deck retreat, reserved just for adults. The Sanctuary features plush lounge furniture, attentive Serenity Steward service, soothing music, refreshing beverages and spa fare, and even an open-air massage in your own private cabana!

Nominal fee applies. Venues vary by ship and are subject to change.

7. usually 1 dining room is open midship for breakfast & lunch. No reservation,just show up during the time listed in app or the printed version- The Patter

International cafe has breakfast ,lunch, dinner items,but not many seats and you order at counter. Open 24/7 Usually.

princess.com has information too. FAQ’s and deck plans,dining,entertainment,etc.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 2

If you reserved a Reserve Mini Suite - (not Premier), you will dine in the reserve dining room which is a section of the main dining room. No reservations are required - just show up.  You can have the same table and wait servicers each day. They are open for breakfast and evening meals.  Lunch is available in the Reserve dining room on sea days.  You mentioned that your room is on the "bump out".  I haven't been on the Coral Princess, but I don't see any bump out balconies on that class ship.  I hope you enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

All good questions.  I can't claim to answer all, but I'll take a few of them and do my best.

5 hours ago, CPs4591 said:

1.  We got a cabin on Dolphin that appears to have one of those bump out balconies.  It is the last one in that row.  We are on the starboard side so facing the ocean.  What are the pros and cons?  Seems like there isn’t a lot of shade and no privacy.  On the other hand seems like the views are good.  Should we try to change rooms?  I did look for a full suite but I guess too late as shows sold out.  Will we be able to have a dinner on this balcony one night?

Your cabin location is probably just fine.  Don't go through the hassle of doing this.  If the cabin is on starboard (right side) and you are doing a Pacific to Atlantic transit, then yes, you will be looking out to the ocean.  However, the ships transit in the shipping lanes that our in International waters.  You'll be anywhere from 15 miles to maybe 30 miles away from the shore when transiting distances between ports.  So, from that distance you won't see any land.  Remember, on flat land, the horizon is about 10 miles away, and then the curvature of the earth kicks in and you cannot see anything on land beyond that point.

I've always liked "bump out" cabin balconies.  There are certain coveted balcony rooms on ships and cabins with bump outs or extended length balconies are usually the ones that people clamor for.  Since you have a Reserve Class mini, I'm not surprised that the balcony is just a bit better than a regular mini.

A full suite would be nice, but you will have the Reserve dining option in the main dining room (MDR) for all meals.  It is a nice touch and you get seated very quickly.

2.  In that regard, Princess sent me a thing on an upgrade bid.  How do these work and would there be any point if all the suites are currently showing sold out?  How much do we bid?  Or, if there is a thread on this please LMK.

I'm aware of the bid upgrade process, but have never used it.  It is a bit like doing an eBay auction purchase.  You basically commit to Princess a particular maximum additional fare you'd be willing to pay, and if the offer is high enough you'll get a cabin in that category.  It is always possible that they show no availability in the suite category, but there may be a few cabins held back for travel agent bookings or contingencies.  If you see a suite offered as an upgrade bid, you have nothing to loose really, except the additional expense you bid for the room.

3.  When do they send these Medallion things?

I opted on our last cruise to get them at the port.  It didn't delay our ability to get on board and I didn't have any concerns about them getting to me before we got to port.  On our next cruise we'll have them delivered to the house.  I think it streamlines just a little the check-in process.  But as others have said, you'll get them about 3 weeks before the cruise if you have already gone through the process of "ordering" them.

4.  I did try to logon but there seems to be a glitch as Princess is saying my birthdate doesn’t match their records so I can’t seem to even get on to see the excursions.  Guess I should call and ask?

Yep, that is a phone call to Princess.  Not much we can offer here for advice.

5.  When can we make special dining reservations?  Can I do on the app?  Am I too late?  Can we get one for the first night since it is my spouse’s special birthday?

You can make those reservations in the app.  I have mixed experience with this, but it is possible.  Just be on the lookout for any charges that the app wants to make to you.  My experience is that if you have the Premier package your first two reservations should zero out when you go to check out.  It will want to behave as if it is going to charge your card, but then doesn't.  It isn't very good interface design.  The new Princess app sure looks better than the old one, and I think it runs better, too, but they still have some interface and process bugs in there that need to be ironed out.

Yes, you can get reservations to specialty dining on embarkation night.  We've done that on most of our cruises.

Don't get the reservations you want on the app?  Don't see the times you want?  Too close to your cruise and they are not allowing reservations?  Just use the app once on board and connected to the ship network to make the reservations, or call the dine line from your cabin.

Edited by jeromep
  • Like 1

1. We have stayed in that cabin years ago on another ship. The cabin location is very nice, but it is a long walk to the midship area where most of the dining venues. The balcony is very large and a wonderful treat. Be sure to have a sun hat to wear on your balcony. 

2. If you really want a suite then I would put in a bid for the amount you are comfortable with paying. Princess will let you know close to sail date if you won the bid. Personally we find the mini suite large enough for two people on a long voyage.

3. Your medallion will arrive about two weeks before the cruise.

4. If Princess says your birthday doesn’t match their records then I would take the time to call them (and wait on hold a long time) to be sure all important info is correct.

5. Yes, you can use the app to book specialty dining. If you have Platinum or Elite status you can book dining reservations before final payment. IMHO I would make reservations in a dining room close to your cabin if mobility is an issue. There is one dining room in the aft of the ship.

6. The sanctuary is an Adults only pay for a lounger area. We really like the pampering we received and enjoy this area on Sea Days.  

7. The dining room is my go to for food unless I have an early excursion then I’ll pick up breakfast at the international cafe.

Have a fabulous cruise, that is one of our bucket list cruises too.

• Like 1

6.  What’s the Sanctuary area all about?

It is an exclusive place to hang out and relax.  Special loungers.  Special staff looking in on your.  Some folks really go for it, some don't.  It has never been my thing.  Plus if you want a whole cruise pass, you have to basically be on board early on embarkation day to even get a whole cruise booked.  Lots of people express frustration getting on board early and the whole cruise bookings are all gone.  Since this is your first time on a large ship, I'd recommend just picking a day or two or showing up and seeing if they have space and paying just for the day or half day to see if it is really something you like.

6 hours ago, CPs4591 said:

7.  We’re not buffet people.  Can we eat breakfast and lunch in any of the restaurants or just some?

My family is not really into the buffet.  Our first cruises we avoided the buffet like the plague.  We would have most, if not all, our meals in the MDR, or we'd eat from the grill or pizza on the Lido.  But the changes that Princess has made on the Royal class ships with hand washing stations at the buffet entry has markedly improved sanitation.  On our lass cruise the food in the buffet was just as nice in appearance as the food in the MDR on most evenings.  I'm not sure if they have retrofitted the hand washing stations on the Coral Princess, but I hope they have.

Coral Princess is a smaller ship compared to the Royal Class ships or even the Grand Class ships.  You'll have a much more intimate experience on board.  By modern standards Island Princess and Coral Princess are not large ships, they are Panamax, so by definition just large enough to fit through the old canals.  I think the smaller ship will be something you enjoy.

• Like 1

I am confused. There are no "bump out" balconies on Dolphin (or any other) deck on Coral Princess. However, all mini-suite balconies on that deck are fairly large and you could, if you wish, book the Balcony Breakfast or Balcony Dinner. (These do have an extra cost.) We've done the old locks twice on Coral and the new locks once on Ruby. I'm happy you have selected the old locks for your trip as it was, at least to us, much more interesting. You should enjoy your Reserve Class dining as it truly is just "walk up and be seated" as opposed to the regular dining where one has to make reservations and, if you don't have one, wait to be seated. You should also get an "extra" entree each night that isn't available to the rest of the dining room. If you have any balance issues please be careful exiting the tub/shower as it is a "step down" that many (including me) don't like. It shouldn't be a problem as long as you take note of it and don't just step out without thinking.

• Like 1

If your room is D725, I have a few pictures to share that might help.  The second picture from cruise deck plans site.  Bump out has a different meaning to some of us here on CC - which I won't get into - but your TA or CVP may have been eluding to the unique curved balcony. 

Also, looking at number of reviews for this room, some are concerned with no cover, and others were thrilled with the ability to see aft because of the curved balcony.

I apologize if this is not the correct room - but the info may be helpful to a future person looking for info on Coral Princess D725.

balconyfromabove.JPG.f100a3ac49377eb6b63dfd11a14c9173.jpeg

IMG_3597.jpeg

I think the author/ op is in a Reserve mini and that would be M1 category? Dolphin deck.  So definitely not on back of ship on dolphin deck.

perhaps all questions answered for op on cabin? I know when cruisers don’t give us all the information for whatever reason people start going off on tangents. I know we’re just all trying to be helpful. But sometimes you don’t want to give personal information like cabin number.

Thanks to all of you so far.  I have been doing a lot of reading.  Still have some questions:

1.  I eat gluten free but I am NOT celiac.  So minor cross contamination isn’t a major worry for me.  But I can’t eat like bread or pasta, etc. without major gastrointestinal distress.  But a tiny amount isn’t a big deal.  Yet I don’t need to be forced into 100% GF meals like poor celiacs because I have found sometimes they are full of other things that cause me issues.  I think I read someone say she was similar and they brought her special breads at dinner which is great.  But I guess this means all the ship pizza is out?  And any sandwiches are too?  So no chance of a grab and go sandwich?  

2.  I also have medication need to take first thing in the morning.  Immediately after I wake up, whenever that happens to be.  It MUST be taken with food.  At home I usually eat a small banana and maybe a tablespoon or two of non dairy yogurt.  Should I grab these at the buffet or something the night before?  I’m often up early (4-6) while my spouse sleeps late.  So don’t want to get room service that early.  I like to go off, find a coffee and go around the ship by myself. At least that’s what I did on Windstar last year, as I said we haven’t been on a big ship in 20 years.  

3.  I know it seems stupid but can I bring something on board like rice cakes?  Then I would have those for me all the time.

4.  So on another note, we drink wine.  We also have the Premier thing.  How does that work in the dining room if we bought a bottle?  Does it come out of the premier package?  Do we need to drink the full bottle every time we order?  Can we take it back to the room if we don’t finish it?  Or will they keep it in the dining room for us?  

thank you, will probably have lots more questions.  You have all been incredibly helpful and patient! 

21 minutes ago, CPs4591 said:

Thanks to all of you so far.  I have been doing a lot of reading.  Still have some questions:

1.  I eat gluten free but I am NOT celiac.  So minor cross contamination isn’t a major worry for me.  But I can’t eat like bread or pasta, etc. without major gastrointestinal distress.  But a tiny amount isn’t a big deal.  Yet I don’t need to be forced into 100% GF meals like poor celiacs because I have found sometimes they are full of other things that cause me issues.  I think I read someone say she was similar and they brought her special breads at dinner which is great.  But I guess this means all the ship pizza is out?  And any sandwiches are too?  So no chance of a grab and go sandwich?  

2.  I also have medication need to take first thing in the morning.  Immediately after I wake up, whenever that happens to be.  It MUST be taken with food.  At home I usually eat a small banana and maybe a tablespoon or two of non dairy yogurt.  Should I grab these at the buffet or something the night before?  I’m often up early (4-6) while my spouse sleeps late.  So don’t want to get room service that early.  I like to go off, find a coffee and go around the ship by myself. At least that’s what I did on Windstar last year, as I said we haven’t been on a big ship in 20 years.  

3.  I know it seems stupid but can I bring something on board like rice cakes?  Then I would have those for me all the time.

4.  So on another note, we drink wine.  We also have the Premier thing.  How does that work in the dining room if we bought a bottle?  Does it come out of the premier package?  Do we need to drink the full bottle every time we order?  Can we take it back to the room if we don’t finish it?  Or will they keep it in the dining room for us?  

thank you, will probably have lots more questions.  You have all been incredibly helpful and patient! 

1. No problem in the MDR. Tell the head waiter (or dining room manager or whatever he's called these days). You will order your meals from him (not your waiter) a day in advance. They can modify dishes to make them gluten free. Explain to him exactly what your restriction is and is not. I recommend eating in the same dining room every evening (not necessarily at the same table or with the same waiter), because then the head waiter will know your restrictions. Buffet or International Cafe are not so easy. You will need to ask.

2. Probably easiest to grab from the buffet and put it in the frig in your room. You can also check what's available at that time at the International Cafe. Since I've never been up that early, I have no idea.

3. You will probably have no problem, but you probably don't need to. The problem generally is taking food across international borders or taking it off the ship.

4. The Premier package gives you a discount of 25% off any bottle of wine. You don't need to drink the full bottle - they will save it for you and bring it out at the next meal even if it's in a different dining room. However you are losing a lot of the benefit of the Premier package if you are buying bottles of wine. The package includes up to 15 alcoholic drinks per day up to $20 each if you buy by the glass, and you only pay the difference plus 18% of the difference if a glass costs more than $20. Unless you can't find an acceptable wine by the glass available, there is no reason to purchase a bottle. Depending on the ship, you may find a better selection at Vines than in the MDR. I will often order a double pour in Vines before dinner and take it with me into the MDR.

• Like 1

oh wow, thanks!  This is incredibly helpful, especially the part about the bottles of wine!  Yes we can easily do (and per your advice) by the glass.  Didn’t know we could get at a bar and carry in, that makes sense!  And thanks for the other tips.  I think I will just grab something from the buffet before we head back to the cabin at night and stash for mornings.  

sounds like pizza is out for me, but that’s ok.  Maybe they can make me a GF sandwich or I can just peel off the bread.  I have NCGS so more it’s about stomach issues per my gastroenterologist so I avoid gluten but if I eat a small amount not the end of the world.  So fortunately don’t need to worry about cross contamination like celiacs do.

thanks!!!

1 hour ago, CPs4591 said:

I eat gluten free but I am NOT celiac.  So minor cross contamination isn’t a major worry for me.  But I can’t eat like bread or pasta, etc. without major gastrointestinal distress.  But a tiny amount isn’t a big deal.  Yet I don’t need to be forced into 100% GF meals like poor celiacs because I have found sometimes they are full of other things that cause me issues.  I think I read someone say she was similar and they brought her special breads at dinner which is great.  But I guess this means all the ship pizza is out?  And any sandwiches are too?  So no chance of a grab and go sandwich?

We recently saw gluten free pizza offered on Lido deck on Grand Princess. I would guess one could also order it at Alfredo's or Gigi's. Don't be afraid to ask.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CPs4591 said:

oh wow, thanks!  This is incredibly helpful, especially the part about the bottles of wine!  Yes we can easily do (and per your advice) by the glass.  Didn’t know we could get at a bar and carry in, that makes sense!  And thanks for the other tips.  I think I will just grab something from the buffet before we head back to the cabin at night and stash for mornings.  

Ask to look at the wine menu in the MDR. It may have something you like. Glasses of wine in the MDR (and anywhere else on the ship) are part of the Premier package. Even if they have one you like in the MDR, you may still want to carry one in so you don't have to wait for them to serve you.

On the ship, you can buy a drink at any bar or dining room and carry it almost anywhere on the ship. The only restriction is you are not supposed to take a glass container onto the pool deck. If you have a glass when you enter the pool deck, go directly to the nearest bar and ask them to pour it into a plastic one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Potstech said:

Also each person can bring one bottle on board with them in their checked luggage.  Even if one of those persons in the cabin do not drink wine.

Just a small correction, all bottles of wine must be in your carry on, not in your checked bags, othetwise you will be called to the naughty room!

• Like 1

Just a note to say that we don't usually eat any meals at the buffet either, but it's really nice to grab a plate of hors d'oeuvres from the buffet and take it somewhere to have with a glass of wine in the late afternoon or before dinner. They have cheeses, veggies, etc...  Stroll through during the less busy hours and you may find something that hits the spot!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I just read through some of these posts. There are no bump out cabins on Dolphin Deck, deck 9, on the Coral Princess. There are bump out cabins on decks, 10, 11 & 12. It would be helpful to know your cabin number. The site below will provide information regarding Coral Princess.

balconies. Here are some comments in no particular order.

Dining. One DR will be open for breakfast each day and lunch on sea days only. The DR is closed for lunch on port days. Dinner is served each evening in both DRs. Make dinner reservations on the app. If you are booked in a Reserve Class mini suite then your dinning will be in the Reserve Class section of one of the DRs. No reservations required. Walk in anytime. Note that Reserve Class dining is also closed for lunch on port days.

Wines. Sounds like you have the Premier Fare. This includes unlimited non alcoholic beverages and up to 15 alcoholic beverages per day, 6am until 6am, with menu prices up to $20. Most wines are included at this price level.

Food in the morning. You can order something from room service delivered to you cabin at the time indicated. Use the door hang tag. There is also a fridge in each cabin. You can pick up food items at the International Cafe or the buffet and keep them in the fridge if required, or just leave them out.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/id3.html 

Edited by skynight

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, buckeye7 said:

Just a note to say that we don't usually eat any meals at the buffet either, but it's really nice to grab a plate of hors d'oeuvres from the buffet and take it somewhere to have with a glass of wine in the late afternoon or before dinner. They have cheeses, veggies, etc...  Stroll through during the less busy hours and you may find something that hits the spot!

Are they happy with us taking food out of the buffet or do we have to sneak it out?

Put it on a plate. Cover it with a napkin and walk out of the buffet area. We do it all the time.  Last trip I carried several large bowls of potato chips for later enjoyment.

8 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:
10 hours ago, buckeye7 said:

Are they happy with us taking food out of the buffet or do we have to sneak it out?

It’s absolutely fine! It’s all yours for the taking, anywhere you’d like to take it!

• Thanks 1