Mobility scooter hire on Anthem of the Seas?

Hello 

our agent has told us Anthem of the seas don’t rent mobility scooters. I just wanted to check if anyone has been on the Anthem of the Seas recently and know otherwise?

On Norwegian escape they had a decent selection to rent. We are hiring independently this time, but seems such a hassle, especially if there’s a fault in the 2 weeks. 

Many thanks 

Royal deals with two companies who will deliver the scooter to the ship and pick it up at the end of the cruise.  Both are easy.  The scooter will be in the cabin when you arrive and you leave it behind in the cabin when you leave.

Special Needs at Sea

Scootaround

We have rented from both on different cruises.  The prices seem to vary, so the company which is the cheapest on one cruse may not be on the next cruise.  Special Needs at Sea can provide a lot more than scooters.  Check them both out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

https://www.specialneedsatsea.com/    this is who we used for a sailing out of Cape Liberty

Their pricing was better than some of the others but never hurts to shop around. 

Clouds of Goods is another I see a lot of passengers use. 

Easy to check out prices online.   

15 minutes ago, greeneng said:

Royal deals with two companies who will deliver the scooter to the ship and pick it up at the end of the cruise.  Both are easy.  The scooter will be in the cabin when you arrive and you leave it behind in the cabin when you leave.

Special Needs at Sea

Scootaround

We have rented from both on different cruises.  The prices seem to vary, so the company which is the cheapest on one cruse may not be on the next cruise.  Special Needs at Sea can provide a lot more than scooters.  Check them both out.

This is what I posted in my link above.

In my opinion, Scootaround is a little more expensive BUT easier to deal with if there's a problem. Anthem is leaving Cape Liberty in May. I don't know if you are leaving from Bayonne, or Europe or Asia. The process may be be different in the other countries.

3 hours ago, Frapaccino said:

Thanks all, good to know, very helpful 

We've used Scootaround and their scooters have been clean and functional.  One thing at Anthem port in NJ, The scooter will be in your cabin which means you will need wheelchair assistance boarding and also leaving the ship.  Boarding is fine, just ask and you will be directed to where you can check in and then taken onboard with the wheelchair.  Leaving the scooter in your cabin when you leave the ship means you have to get to the disembarkation area to wait for a wheelchair to get you to the luggage and out the door to whatever transportation you need to leave.  Not user friendly as far as leaving the ship is concerned if you have mobility problems.

4 hours ago, Frapaccino said:

Thanks all, good to know, very helpful 

@Merion_Mom Norwegian Escape does rent scooters on board, we cruised 2022 from Rome it was about £350 for 2 weeks rental. 

This is a Royal Caribbean forum.  You were asking about Royal Caribbean.  My response was about Royal Caribbean.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

This is a Royal Caribbean forum.  You were asking about Royal Caribbean.  My response was about Royal Caribbean.

Apologies, when you said no ships I didn’t realise you meant RCI only ships. Thanks for the info, much appreciated 

23 hours ago, torpeedo said:

Leaving the scooter in your cabin when you leave the ship means you have to get to the disembarkation area to wait for a wheelchair to get you to the luggage and out the door to whatever transportation you need to leave.  Not user friendly as far as leaving the ship is concerned if you have mobility problems.

When my DH needed a scooter he was told he could ride it down to the waiting area for wheelchair assistance and leave the scooter there instead of the cabin.   Many others did this too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

When my DH needed a scooter he was told he could ride it down to the waiting area for wheelchair assistance and leave the scooter there instead of the cabin.   Many others did this too

I have been in that venue and I have seen them leaving their scooters there, as directed.  It seemed to be working very well.  🙂 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes you can do that but you can't take it off the ship.  Problem we've had is that it takes forever to get wheelchair assistance leaving the ship.  Ports like Tampa and Port Canaveral allow you to pick up the scooter at the entrance to the terminal and return it there when you leave.  Much prefer the ports that let you board with the scooter and leave with it, no waiting.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

For all these reasons we elected to buy one.  Yes it was $1200 but I can take it anywhere, it fits every cabin ADA or not, folds up to 18" wide, is hefty at 57 Lbs but hubs totes it and has a joystick controller and the battery removes and charges etc.  We love it..,..every time you rent you give them a couple hundred dollars, won't take long to recoup and am I going to get more mobile, nah.  So I'll ways have it.  I like this instead of a scooter, it turns on a dime and takes up less space in the elevators.

My chair.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 3

I also decided to buy, because, as you mentioned, it only takes a few trips to break even.  I bought a lightweight folding scooter.  It's got a pretty surprising turning radius, although I'm sure your wheelchair is better.  The benefit to the scooter is that it folds flat with the wheels down so I can prop it on the bumper of my car and push it into the trunk area which gives me the freedom to go places without someone strong enough to lift 50 lbs.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, torpeedo said:

Yes you can do that but you can't take it off the ship.  Problem we've had is that it takes forever to get wheelchair assistance leaving the ship.  Ports like Tampa and Port Canaveral allow you to pick up the scooter at the entrance to the terminal and return it there when you leave.  Much prefer the ports that let you board with the scooter and leave with it, no waiting.  

True, with everyone leaving at the same time there can be a wait for wheelchair assistance to disembark.   I think we reserved 830 and were off before 9 am  

3 hours ago, gluecksbaer said:

wheels down so I can prop it on the bumper of my car and push it into the trunk area

Same here I just don't do that he does 😉  On my chair you can disengage the auto wheels and then when folded you can roll it from a handle like a piece of luggage, or if I get too old he can push me.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 6:07 AM, BecciBoo said:

Same here I just don't do that he does 😉  On my chair you can disengage the auto wheels and then when folded you can roll it from a handle like a piece of luggage, or if I get too old he can push me.

The picture of it folded makes it look like if you propped it on the bumper like I do, the legs would hit before the front wheels.  That's good that is can also be rolled in.  For me, the freedom to go places without having to schedule it with my husband, and hope he didn't forget and schedule something else that day, was life-changing.