Upgrade price worth it?

Leaving in a week on a cruise. New to HAL, but cruised many times. We booked fairly last minute in a cheap interior room and still do not have an assigned room. I have got many paid upgrade offers over the last month for different rooms (obstructed OV, OV, verandah) but this week the email only had verandah and the upgrade was $149 pp. Is this worth it? I thought if I got another email offering $99 I would pounce, but I know there is a possibility of getting upgraded even without paying as it seems the ship may be quite full. 

Thank you. Looking forward to experiencing HAL. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, kfarist said:

Leaving in a week on a cruise. New to HAL, but cruised many times. We booked fairly last minute in a cheap interior room and still do not have an assigned room. I have got many paid upgrade offers over the last month for different rooms (obstructed OV, OV, verandah) but this week the email only had verandah and the upgrade was $149 pp. Is this worth it? I thought if I got another email offering $99 I would pounce, but I know there is a possibility of getting upgraded even without paying as it seems the ship may be quite full. 

I would take that offer in a New York minute!

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, kfarist said:

How long is your cruise? I got a similar offer many years ago on a 7 day RT Alaska cruise on the Volendam. It was very much worth it for me.

• Like 1

Depends on the ship.  I can enjoy a large interior for over a month at a time but a small, poorly placed interior is hard to abide for even a night 

4 minutes ago, kfarist said:

7 days

I think that works out to $42.57/day. It's up to you if it's "worth it." I'm someone who spends time in my cabin, so a balcony for that price is a bargain and totally worth it to me.

You can hold out hoping for a lower upsell offer but it may not happen.

• Like 3

At $149 for 7 days that's $21 a day per person to enjoy a balcony.....We would do it.  That's a deal and the balcony is easily worth more than $42 a day....IMO.

Order room service breakfast and dine on the balcony one time and you are good to go!

Enjoy the balcony.....

1 hour ago, amandas friend said:

We just got an offer to upgrade from OV to veranda for 100$ pp. we took it. Sailing is one month away 

Happy to read this, AF! I remember our convo about the Main Deck OV's... Good for you!

On 3/23/2024 at 1:35 PM, amandas friend said:

We just got an offer to upgrade from OV to veranda for 100$ pp. we took it. Sailing is one month away 

Is the $100/ night or total?

One thing for the OP to consider.  If you take an "upsell" you generally can pick your cabin.  With a free upgrade you cannot - you get what they assign you.  Sometimes this makes a big difference.

On 3/23/2024 at 10:55 AM, cavecreekguy said:

I think that works out to $42.57/day. It's up to you if it's "worth it." I'm someone who spends time in my cabin, so a balcony for that price is a bargain and totally worth it to me.

You can hold out hoping for a lower upsell offer but it may not happen.

For the mathematical geeks among us, that comes to $.88 extra  an hour  per person for a verandah.  If you only count 16 waking hours, it comes to $1.33 an hour.  Personally, I’d say that’s worth it, but I’m not you :).

• Haha 1

I wouldn't count on a free upgrade, at the $149pp someone else in an inside will bounce on it opening their room for you. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you, and it may depend on your itinerary. For me, yes it would be worth it.