Amsterdam to Barcelona - realistic or not?

I'm looking at a couple last minute cruises and wondering from experienced travelers (unlike myself) whether or not it is realistic to arrive in Amsterdam at 6am and fly to Barcelona for a 5pm departure?

5 minutes ago, kbconthemove said:

I'm looking at a couple last minute cruises and wondering from experienced travelers (unlike myself) whether or not it is realistic to arrive in Amsterdam at 6am and fly to Barcelona for a 5pm departure?

Yes that should give you plenty of time.

As a seasoned international traveller, I am surprised the previous two posters have been quite so blasé. To me, it seems pretty tight, with risks over which you have little control (and that may not be insurable). A delay through the sea locks into Amsterdam or retrieving bags at Barcelona could make life difficult. What's Plan B?

The time of arrival and departure of the two ships are not relevant - it's what time you can get off in Amsterdam (and do you know if you would be disembarking at the passenger terminal in the centre of Amsterdam or out at Ijmuiden) and the 'all aboard' time in Barcelona. I would expect both those to squeeze your window.

Looking at a random date next week, the only feasible flights seem to be the 1025 KLM or 1030 Vueling. If you are off the ship with your luggage by 0730 they are possible, but earlier than usually suggested here. 

1 hour ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

How will you arrive in Amsterdam?

I assumed that the reference to "a couple last minute cruises" meant the OP was thinking about back to back cruises, but you are correct that's not necessarily the right interpretation!   

Schiphol: 6am curbside or wheels down?

We’ve always taken morning flights from AMS  to BCN departing 9am’ish, arriving approximately 10:30am on embarkation days, taxi, Aerobus or private car to the port et voila. :classic_happy:

18 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Schiphol: 6am curbside or wheels down?

We’ve always taken morning flights from AMS  to BCN departing 9am’ish, arriving approximately 10:30am on embarkation days, taxi, Aerobus or private car to the port et voila. :classic_happy:

Problem can be for OP that for a AMS flight departure at around 09:00 AM he/she/they will have to be at the airport check-in counter on or before 07:00 AM. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 12:00 AM, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

How will you arrive in Amsterdam? By plane? From where? Or by cruise? At which cruise terminal?

Either way is going to be very tight, but we can help you better if we know how you’ll arrive into Amsterdam. 

This...hard to give any good answers if the OP has not come back and clarified the situation. It seems obvious that a flight connection at AMS to BCN shouldn't be a problem, but if the OP is getting off a ship at Rotterdam, Amsterdam or the other possible ports, then catching a flight to BCN to board that afternoon, is a entirely different question. @kbconthemove, please come back and clarify the information, please.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

From their recent posts, it seems that the OP has literally moved on and is now looking at cruises in other parts of the world. 

Ah, yes. How rude not to come back and let us know.

Their question about using insurance to get a cheap solo fare, though 😲

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 10:22 AM, Cotswold Eagle said:

Ah, yes. How rude not to come back and let us know.

Their question about using insurance to get a cheap solo fare, though 😲

Another WOW.

My apologies - this was my first post ever on a forum here and certainly regret posting it now.  I didn't see any way to close or delete the topic or would have.  I certainly won't be bothering you all anymore, and no - not using insurance to try and get a solo cruise.  I have a friend that is very iffy about committing and that really was the reason for my poorly worded post.

I will not be cruising any time soon as I did finally book a solo cruise and thought it was on hold for me through tomorrow and just got an email from the NCL rep I had been working with and he told me that someone else just took the last solo room so I'll have to pay for a double fare now.