Internet/drink package- paying twice?

If you opt for the 150 minute internet as part of “free at sea” but then upgrade to Free At Sea Plus, are you paying twice for tax? Just realized that I did this for our upcoming cruise: did the FAS, then later upgraded.

Would I have been better off not opting for the 150 minutes of Internet access at all, then just doing FAS+, or is it pro-rated as like an upgrade?

Likewise for the drinks, is it better to skip then do FAS+, or does it equal out?

Posted (edited)

You do not have the option to unselect the internet or shore ex credits since there is no charge added for selecting them.

For FAS+, you need to have the basic options in order to upgrade.

Edited by Liljo22

3 hours ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

If you opt for the 150 minute internet as part of “free at sea” but then upgrade to Free At Sea Plus, are you paying twice for tax? Just realized that I did this for our upcoming cruise: did the FAS, then later upgraded.

Would I have been better off not opting for the 150 minutes of Internet access at all, then just doing FAS+, or is it pro-rated as like an upgrade?

Likewise for the drinks, is it better to skip then do FAS+, or does it equal out?

That is all a matter of personal preference and how YOU define "better:.  Only you can answer that for yourself.  Personally I think any expenditure for internet on a crusie is a complete waste of money.  You are on a great crusie vacation, unplug for a week and enjoy the real world.  NO ONE 'has to be' on line during a cruise.  I run a web dedign and hosting business and I have employees who can run things for a week without me.  But whatever works best for you is the thing for you to do.  Run the numbers and comapre the benefist of all options, then choose.  Have a great cruise...

4 minutes ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

That is all a matter of personal preference and how YOU define "better:.  Only you can answer that for yourself.  Personally I think any expenditure for internet on a crusie is a complete waste of money.  You are on a great crusie vacation, unplug for a week and enjoy the real world.  NO ONE 'has to be' on line during a cruise.  I run a web dedign and hosting business and I have employees who can run things for a week without me.  But whatever works best for you is the thing for you to do.  Run the numbers and comapre the benefist of all options, then choose.  Have a great cruise...

My question boils down to this: you can get FAS for just booze. You can opt for the separate 150 minutes also, which you have to pay tax on.

Would it be cheaper to just do FAS for drinks, but exclude the 150 minutes, and then upgrade the FAS to FAS+ which includes the unlimited internet. 

ultimately: if you pay for 150 and get the unlimited, are you paying more than if you just did it at the FAS level. Or is it prorated to become a “wash?” Like are you paying 75 then 25 for a total of 100, or just paying 100..,or some other number.

It just seems like I’ve paid for the 150 minutes AND the unlimited internet, which makes the 150 irrelevant.

4 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

My question boils down to this: you can get FAS for just booze. You can opt for the separate 150 minutes also, which you have to pay tax on.

What??? Ok, I'm in Europe and it's different here so maybe I don't understand US FreeAtSea. But do you really pay anything for the 150 minutes? Isn't it drinks and food you pay taxes on? You can't UPGRADE to plus unless you first have the basic package to upgrade from. Including the 150 minutes.

I get so confused reading this question!

The 150 minutes is an option you can choose for the ironic “free at sea” offering. It is free…but you have to pay tax on it.

If I am upgrading to FAS+, I have to pay tax too. Do I get taxed…twice? If so, I’ll just exclude the FAS internet if I am just upgrading later to FAS+ which has unlimited.

40 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

The 150 minutes is an option you can choose for the ironic “free at sea” offering. It is free…but you have to pay tax on it.

I have never paid any additional tax due to having the FAS internet package.  I am in the US.  Could you be mixing this up with the gratuities on the drink and dining components of FAS?

10 minutes ago, itsnotjustme said:

FAS+ is priced as an upgrade.  You must have the FAS package first.  You did not make a mistake.

The below site is always helpful for understanding NCL's offers.  It clearly describes FAS Plus as an upgrade. 

https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions?hide_hf=true

Okay thank you.

But I think I am not defining my question properly. Let me restate…

I selected both FAS drinks…AND…,the 150 minutes.

Would it have been cheaper if I just selected the FAS drinks only (excluded the internet), and then upgraded to FAS+ for both the drinks and the internet?

OR do you need both the FAS and 150 minutes to even qualify?

Posted (edited)

No.  I don't think they even allow the internet minutes to be declined as there is no cost.

If you declined the FAS drinks, I presume an upgrade is no longer an option.  I cannot find that written in those exact words, but is is very logical an upgrade is only available when you have the non-upgrade item. 

If it were possible to decline the FAS drinks, saving $20 per person per day, and then upgrade to FAS+, everyone getting FAS+ would do it.

Edited by itsnotjustme

3 hours ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

I don’t know and that is the basis of

my question.

So you just THINK you'll pay tax. 

The 150 minutes has no retail value. What would you pay tax on?? Wouldn't the tax for 0 be 0?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Asawi said:

So you just THINK you'll pay tax. 

The 150 minutes has no retail value. What would you pay tax on?? Wouldn't the tax for 0 be 0?

and any additional tax would only be on the additional $ for the upgrade

• Like 1

@Distinctive-Destinations The term "Tax" keeps being used, however, there is no "tax" being directly added to either the FAS or FAS+ packages.

In fact, the FAS and/or FAS+ packages are charged 20% Gratuities!

Probably helpful to read T&Cs (copied) below...

For sailings on or after to January 1, 2023:

• Guests are responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Unlimited Open Bar Package ($21.80 USD per person per day) and/or Soda Package ($1.59 USD per person per day) prior to cruise
  • Retail value of Unlimited Open Bar Package is $109.00 USD per person per day. Package price is subject to change
  • Retail value of the Adult Soda Package is $7.95 USD per person per day. Package price is subject to change.
    20% gratuities on the retail value of the Unlimited Open Bar Package and/or Soda Package are included when booking through the Australia office.
  • When booking through the Australia office, gratuities related to beverage and soda packages are included.
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, itsnotjustme said:

No.  I don't think they even allow the internet minutes to be declined as there is no cost.

If you declined the FAS drinks, I presume an upgrade is no longer an option.  I cannot find that written in those exact words, but is is very logical an upgrade is only available when you have the non-upgrade item. 

If it were possible to decline the FAS drinks, saving $20 per person per day, and then upgrade to FAS+, everyone getting FAS+ would do it.

Exactly.

The OP seems to be considering trying to do something impossible in order to avoid double paying a tax that isn’t charged.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

Exactly.

The OP seems to be considering trying to do something impossible in order to avoid double paying a tax that isn’t charged.

I was trying to avoid paying extra FEES. I did not know if it was cheaper somehow to opt out of the original offer and then go straight to FAS+.

Yes I wrote “tax” but I was asking if there was a cheaper overall way.

11 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Cheaper than free (the 150 minutes)???? No!

49 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

I was trying to avoid paying extra FEES. I did not know if it was cheaper somehow to opt out of the original offer and then go straight to FAS+.

OK, but there are no fees on the basic package internet anyway, so still no double charging to worry about.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

No there is not.  FAS+ is an upgrade to the FAS package.  If you do not select the FAS, you do not have the opportunity to select FAS+.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

No there is not.  FAS+ is an upgrade to the FAS package.  If you do not select the FAS, you do not have the opportunity to select FAS+.  

You can purchase FAS+ without the FAS package.  It's only $138 PPPD.

Or, you can upgrade the FAS package to FAS+ for only $29PPPD.

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

You can purchase FAS+ without the FAS package.  It's only $138 PPPD.

Or, you can upgrade the FAS package to FAS+ for only $29PPPD.

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

The pricing you are quoting is the drink package only.  The Premium Plus drink package on its own is $138 PPPD or you can upgrade the Premium Drink Package for $29 PPPD.  These prices do not include the gratuities.

The price to upgrade from FAS to FAS+ is $49 PPPD and there is no additional gratuity.  

Edited by Liljo22

@Distinctive-Destinations you could purchase a Sail Away rate (basic rate no extras) then purchase the Unlimited Drink Package (UDP)for $109 pppd and not buy any internet. The UDP is not the same as FAS basic.  Doing the SailAway rate and buying just the drink package you wouldn’t qualify for FAS+ upgrade.

if you book a cabin with the FAS basic promo, you are not being charged for the internet 150 minutes as it is “packaged” into the FAS rate. The only extra charge with the FAS package is additional 20% gratuity for drinks snd the specialty dining.

if you have the FAS rate, you could upgrade to the FAS+.  You are not charged an additional 20% gratuity on the drinks or two more meals as it is built into the upgrade price.

Hoping this helps answer the question I think you were asking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1