Should we book a 2 Night QM2 cruise?

dock

Hi all, it’s our first time on Cunard. 

We will be arriving Southampton on an NCL cruise from Iceland and are considering embarking the next day on a 2 nighter on QM2 to Hamburg,(instead  of heading to London for a few days).  

I’ve always wanted to go on the QM2 but a TA is not doable for the next few years. 

Would this be enough to get a good feeling for the ship? 

Looking at entry level Queens Grill suite. Deck 9 or 10.Not a connecting cabin. 

Thank you for any advice. 

I would do it but then I love the ship.  You will get a fair idea of what the ship would be like.  I suggest you don't try to do everything in these two days.  Explore the ship, attend the tea in the Queens Room, enjoy your meals.  I am sure you will want to book a longer sailing in the very near future.  TA are just wonderful to do.  They are my favorite as I so enjoy the ship and all the sea days.

• Like 3

I don’t think you’ll get the full Cunard effect nor really appreciate QM2 totally but you’ll have a really fancy ferry ride to Hamburg! 
Go for it, it will be fun. Try a pub lunch too, along with the afternoon tea. 

• Like 1

Agree with @NE John 

Experience the Pub Lunch, Afternoon Tea and also a Wonderful Stroll on the Deck 7 Promenade Deck looking out on the Vast Blue Ocean.

You will once experience the QM2 & catch the Cunard Cruising Bug.

The wonderful interior is way different then the NCL vessel. The feel of a Ocean Liner.

• Like 1

Go for it. 

My first two experiences on QM2 were Southampton to Hamburg, and then in reverse a few years later. 

By then I knew I loved the ship and had the time to do an Eastbound Transatlantic in 2018.  

Just finished a wonderful 16 nights on the Sydney to Hong Kong leg of the QM2 World Voyage. 

• Like 3

I’ve done several of these two night cruises to Hamburg; they are good value if you are travelling in grills, plat or diamond status because you can get on early, enjoy lunch on embarkation, and on day two afternoon tea in the grills lounge which is much more relaxed than the chaos of Queens room.

It’s important to know that because people are on board for two days, the bars are very busy, and particular things like lunch and the Queens room afternoon tea you might find more crowds than it normally the case on a transatlantic.

Order room service on day two because you won’t be able to do so the morning you are cruising up the Elbe, and get up early that day as the sunrise and watching people in the houses alongside the river enjoying that early morning coffee as the ship passes by are quite something .

It’s a great way to get a feeling for the ship, the style of service he might expect to board Cunard as well as checking out things like the spa and the various venues on board which is difficult to get a handle on from purely looking at the website. 

A little tip; if you’re coming off in Hamburg during the summertime, walk the kilometre to the ferry stop and ride that into the centre of town with your hand baggage, enjoy a beer at the “Alex“ pub/restaurant overlooking the harbour, and book ahead for the miniature Wonderland which is essential but does get booked out early. 

Fly back on British Airways in Club Europe (use points) which includes access to a comfortable  lounge at Hamburg Airport which has very good runway views. Also consider a tour of Bergen Belsen if you are there for a few nights.

• Like 1

Aloha. We have been blessed to sail in the QM2 since 2004 and love her.  Born and and raised in Manhattan and now divide our time between NY and Honolulu.  1 or 2 night cruises were so much fun years ago but are no longer available in the states. That said I would jump at the opportunity!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dock said:

@VintageKrug, I appreciate the details in your reponse. We plan on staying a couple nights in Hamburg,before flying back to Canada. Any suggestions for hotels?

Thanks again. 

If you want to be historical, the Atlantic Hotel was built to house Hamburg America’s passengers before departure. Somewhat bathetically, I see it is now a Marriott.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dock said:

@VintageKrug, I appreciate the details in your reponse. We plan on staying a couple nights in Hamburg,before flying back to Canada. Any suggestions for hotels?

Thanks again. 

We liked the Adina Apartment Hotel.  Good location.  And to your original question:  My understanding is that Cunard likes to use these short trips as a marketing tool, sort of a test drive for newbies.  Hopefully the first timers have a good experience and will return for a longer Cunard trip.  I recommend that you see your short trip as your own test drive, see if Cunard, and the QM2, are your cup of tea!

• Like 1

Thanks all for the info. 
After the encouragement from this board,  we have decided to try the 2 nighter.

However I’ve since noticed a 5 nighter from Quebec City to NYC. As it’s  doable for us time wise and being based on the Eastern seaboard , it makes for easy short break for us. A good way to  potentially see  the  Fall leaves in QC and maybe along the route  as well. 

If you had the choice , may I assume the 5 nighter would be a more complete experience? 
There’s only 1 Port Day. 

Thanks again. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, dock said:

Thanks all for the info. 

However I’ve since noticed a 5 nighter from Quebec City to NYC. As it’s  doable for us time wise and being based on the Eastern seaboard , it makes for easy short break for us. A good way to  potentially see  the  Fall leaves in QC and maybe along the route  as well. 

If you had the choice , may I assume the 5 nighter would be a more complete experience? 
There’s only 1 Port Day. 

Thanks again. 

You’ll have an overnight in Boston so that is a bonus. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dock said:

Thanks all for the info. 

There’s only 1 Port Day. 

Thanks again. 

Do both!!! 

But don't bother doing room service on a 2-nighter... why hide in your room on such a short trip?! Definitely find the Commodore club and the ocean-side seats along the side of the theatre... 

• Like 2