Short Vista review

nu#1

Posted (edited)
LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

nu#1 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

I’ll hit a short list of items that have been previously asked/discussed on the board.

• We are in concierge cabin 9095. No noise from either adjacent cabin. And the one couple must be in their cabin regularly because the do-not-disturb light is always on.
    • Fitness center. Yes, it is smaller than expected, wish it had a few more strength machines, but it’s never been overly crowded.
    • Ember. This is so subjective but we found it to be good/very good. I would rate it above Pollo Grill, but not Red Ginger or Toscana. Didn’t seem overly noisy but we had a corner table. No table cloths.
    • Odyssey Wine dinner. Was listed in the Wine & Beverage Guide in our cabin when we embarked. We chose The Odyssey Menu option  for $150/person + 20% gratuity. Made our reservation at the dining reservation desk on deck 5. There were two nights available on our 11-day cruise, and only six in our group. The meal was outstanding.
    • Wi-Fi. Found the Starlink Internet to be the best Wi-Fi experience we’ve had on a cruise ship. Was able to stream multiple NCAA tournament games this last week with few issues.
Edited by nu#1
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 10

32 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Nu#1, what is your opinion on the MDR experience and food?  How have the excursions been that were part of the package? 

All excursions are available as part of the package, nothing is excluded.  It just depends on what you prefer and how much you want to spend.

• Like 1

Thank you basor. I was not clear, but was referring to the SM excursions being booked. There are issues with what happens if they are cancelled by O. If you are not a ship excursion traveler, and they are cancelled, with nothing available, and you haven’t booked paid for excursions for the credit to go back to, there are reported issues. 

There isn’t any difference in terms of the quality of tours offered, but now that everyone has use-or-lose credit, those tours fill up faster so you have to be more proactive in researching and signing up.

To your second point, our original itinerary included an overnight stay in Bermuda and a stop in Norfolk, VA. Weather forced the cancellation of the first day in Bermuda and the stop in Norfolk. An additional day in Charleston, SC was added with two tours being added by destination services. But many people were stuck with unused SM shore excursion credit than they could use. As always, when there are any changes, the house wins.

3 hours ago, nu#1 said:

There isn’t any difference in terms of the quality of tours offered, but now that everyone has use-or-lose credit, those tours fill up faster so you have to be more proactive in researching and signing up.

To your second point, our original itinerary included an overnight stay in Bermuda and a stop in Norfolk, VA. Weather forced the cancellation of the first day in Bermuda and the stop in Norfolk. An additional day in Charleston, SC was added with two tours being added by destination services. But many people were stuck with unused SM shore excursion credit than they could use. As always, when there are any changes, the house wins.

I personally would rather have an extra day in Charleston than either of the other two places. 

• Like 5

On 3/26/2024 at 2:31 PM, nu#1 said:

Ember. This is so subjective but we found it to be good/very good. I would rate it above Pollo Grill, but not Red Ginger or Toscana. Didn’t seem overly noisy but we had a corner table. No table cloths.

Same voyage here, so some thoughts:

• Yep.  Bare oiled, polished, and elegant wood dining surface.

• Ember in the middle was *quieter* than Toscana in the middle.

• Service in Red Ginger was stellar.

• We shared in Toscana.  DW (piccata) and tablemate (Marsala) commented that the veal scaloppini was tough.

Last thought:  The 5-letter beast came to visit mid-voyage, and we found ourselves ordering dinner from Ember in preference to all the other options.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Same voyage here, so some thoughts:

• Yep.  Bare oiled, polished, and elegant wood dining surface.

• Ember in the middle was *quieter* than Toscana in the middle.

• Service in Red Ginger was stellar.

• We shared in Toscana.  DW (piccata) and tablemate (Marsala) commented that the veal scaloppini was tough.

Last thought:  The 5-letter beast came to visit mid-voyage, and we found ourselves ordering dinner from Ember in preference to all the other options.

My DW tested positive the day we 

disembarked Feb 11

On 3/26/2024 at 2:31 PM, nu#1 said:

I’ll hit a short list of items that have been previously asked/discussed on the board.

• We are in concierge cabin 9095. No noise from either adjacent cabin. And the one couple must be in their cabin regularly because the do-not-disturb light is always on.
    • Fitness center. Yes, it is smaller than expected, wish it had a few more strength machines, but it’s never been overly crowded.
    • Ember. This is so subjective but we found it to be good/very good. I would rate it above Pollo Grill, but not Red Ginger or Toscana. Didn’t seem overly noisy but we had a corner table. No table cloths.
    • Odyssey Wine dinner. Was listed in the Wine & Beverage Guide in our cabin when we embarked. We chose The Odyssey Menu option  for $150/person + 20% gratuity. Made our reservation at the dining reservation desk on deck 5. There were two nights available on our 11-day cruise, and only six in our group. The meal was outstanding.
    • Wi-Fi. Found the Starlink Internet to be the best Wi-Fi experience we’ve had on a cruise ship. Was able to stream multiple NCAA tournament games this last week with few issues.

Thanks for keeping it short and informative.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

My DW tested positive the day we 

disembarked Feb 11

Had me starting a guilt-trip there before I noticed the date. ::Whew!:: 

Hope she had an easy time of it.  Nothing more than a scratchy throat here -- didn't even realize I was sick: I was down in Medical because I'd banged my nose and had a nosebleed that just would not stay stopped.

CDC-mandated onboard quarantine is now "5 days from first symptoms" rather from positive test.  ADDED: if you take the Paxlovid

Interesting direct quote from the ship's MD:  "It's mutated down to just another sort of mild flu, so we don't police it any more"  He was talking about contact tracing and whether DW had to be tested since she was going into quarantine with me anyways.

Edited by Snaefell3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Had me starting a guilt-trip there before I noticed the date. ::Whew!:: 

Hope she had an easy time of it.  Nothing more than a scratchy throat here -- didn't even realize I was sick: I was down in Medical because I'd banged my nose and had a nosebleed that just would not stay stopped.

CDC-mandated onboard quarantine is now "5 days from first symptoms" rather from positive test.  ADDED: if you take the Paxlovid

Interesting direct quote from the ship's MD:  "It's mutated down to just another sort of mild flu, so we don't police it any more"  He was talking about contact tracing and whether DW had to be tested since she was going into quarantine with me anyways.

I got it 4 days later not particularly a good experience even though  fully vaccinated.  I noticed on Vista when entering or leaving the forward elevators one is in a very narrow area that usually results in face to face contact 

Be well heal ENJOY

• Thanks 2

On 3/26/2024 at 4:31 PM, nu#1 said:

@nu#1 Thank you for taking the time.  It impresses me that you choose to post on your journey.  You have been on CruiseCritic.com for a very long time and rarely post.  That to me makes your post even more important.  

The noise issue was nice to hear.  So was your opinion of Ember.  But what I will really take to heart is the Odyssey Menu.  My upcoming Vista Cruise I will make that a reservation.  Thank you for that. 

Please post more.  You are clear, fair and easy to understand.  Much appreciated. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 4