Closed Loop from Seattle to Alaska- Enhanced DL

5 minutes ago, psuboater said:

I frequent this board often and am confident to say I’m decently respected for my advice here and while I am incorrect by one here, I don’t appreciate your rudeness. 

Respect? On CC? You must be joking. And "rude" doesn't mean what you think it means.

Just now, IAcruising said:

Respect? On CC? You must be joking. And "rude" doesn't mean what you think it means.

Just edited my response, I am on spotty WiFi as I am traveling by train through eastern Canada right now and I thought this question was on the West Coast departure board, where living in the Seattle area carries a bit of weight to the answers. Have a fantastic night, and I truly hope you’re not on our Bermuda sailing. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, psuboater said:

Just edited my response

You didn't materially edit anything I quoted.

16 minutes ago, psuboater said:

I truly hope you’re not on our Bermuda sailing.

I would love to meet you on a cruise. My guess is that I will not be the "rude" one.

Edited by IAcruising
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, psuboater said:

I frequent this board often

I'm not sure I've seen you in this forum section too often...

37 minutes ago, psuboater said:

I don’t appreciate your rudeness.

Rudeness?  For pointing out that reading an entire thread before replying might be a good idea?  For someone that purports to spend time around here (or ANY internet forum), one would think that would be common sense

• Like 1

Those of us who help out on the West Coast Departure Board, know and respect @psuboater..  I know that I appreciate all the time, effort and detail that Psuboater puts in to help folks who are planning to sail out of Seattle. Besides, how could anyone with an avatar of a happy Corgi be anything but nice?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Those of us who help out on the West Coast Departure Board, know and respect @psuboater..  I know that I appreciate all the time, effort and detail that Psuboater puts in to help folks who are planning to sail out of Seattle. Besides, how could anyone with an avatar of a happy Corgi be anything but nice?

Thank you, King/Queen of the WCD board- we have to get drinks one of these days. I’d love to meet you and express my thanks for your support and advice 🙂

54 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Besides, how could anyone with an avatar of a happy Corgi be anything but nice?

Boom. That, as they say, is that.

2 hours ago, psuboater said:

Between your thorough knowledge and the “in” as a Pier employee, who is taking your #1 spot??

I am always happy to see Glaciers, Gardyloo, and your thoughts and insights, as well our Canadian friends, Martincath & Heidi13..   Also sparks1093 w/document posts.  No doubt I have missed many other WCD Board posters. I like that we all have different gifts and talents that we share with our fellow CC'ers.  ;  )

What was so cool about this thread is that we commented on a simple question about using an Enhanced DL on a closed loop cruise to Alaska.  This prompted the usual discussion about EDL's and what they really are (versus Real ID), and what US states actually have them.  That led to the OP discovering that her MIL didn't actually have an EDL.

It's great that the OP asked the question, it's great that a few of us responded, and it is really wonderful that the OP followed up with her MIL now, rather finding out that there was a document issue while at Pier 66.  It was a teachable moment, and I always hope that someone who has read the thread takes away a little bit of knowledge, and helps someone else.

P.S. Your Canadian train journey sounds amazing!  We were just in Blaine for our NEXUS interview, and our cards just arrived yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/26/2024 at 7:10 PM, Pepohwin said:

We are leaving in 31 days. And passport renewals have been luck of the draw even if expedited. Yes it’s 100% an Enhanced Drivers License. 

My daughters just came fast. Like 3 weeks or less. Just go walk into the courthouse and ask if they can get you in.  

8 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I am always happy to see Glaciers, Gardyloo, and your thoughts and insights, as well our Canadian friends, Martincath & Heidi13..   Also sparks1093 w/document posts.  No doubt I have missed many other WCD Board posters. I like that we all have different gifts and talents that we share with our fellow CC'ers.  ;  )

What was so cool about this thread is that we commented on a simple question about using an Enhanced DL on a closed loop cruise to Alaska.  This prompted the usual discussion about EDL's and what they really are (versus Real ID), and what US states actually have them.  That led to the OP discovering that her MIL didn't actually have an EDL.

It's great that the OP asked the question, it's great that a few of us responded, and it is really wonderful that the OP followed up with her MIL now, rather finding out that there was a document issue while at Pier 66.  It was a teachable moment, and I always hope that someone who has read the thread takes away a little bit of knowledge, and helps someone else.

P.S. Your Canadian train journey sounds amazing!  We were just in Blaine for our NEXUS interview, and our cards just arrived yesterday.

Spent the week between Montreal and Quebec City. Very different than what we have with Vancouver/Victoria, but amazing in its own way. 🙂 

• Like 1

Hello. Quick Update. MIL received her Birth Certificate this morning!!! She’ll be able to get on the boat on Pier 66. Since that gave us what she needed, she didn’t expedite her passport renewal ($60 is a lot of money on a fixed income).  My husband’s passport status has been updated to “In Process”, so hopefully we get it in 2 weeks. No status update for my son’s passport. But we’ll all be able to get on that boat in 29 days! Huzzah!! Success! Thanks for everyone’s help and advice on this board. It’s a great community. 
I’ll update again if we receive the passports. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

On 3/27/2024 at 6:03 PM, IAcruising said:

I call BS on this one. It might work at a US Embassy to get a new one, but no chance it will be accepted to enter any country, including the US.

The OP does not need a passport for his cruise so it. I stated that his expired US passport is still proof of citizenship provided the terms outlined in my post were met.  RIF is valuable, but comprehension is key. 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, razor7_us said:

The OP does not need a passport for his cruise so it. I stated that his expired US passport is still proof of citizenship provided the terms outlined in my post were met.  RIF is valuable, but comprehension is key. 

The expired passport would not get OP's MIL on the ship as it is not accepted as proof. The US would probably allow her back in if she got that far but the WH treaty does not recognize it as a valid document. She would be denied boarding. So your saying it is proof of citizenship is meaningles. It is not an accepted document for closed loop cruises. We must be clear about what documents are allowed because we don't want anyone to be denied boarding. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The expired passport would not get OP's MIL on the ship as it is not accepted as proof. The US would probably allow her back in if she got that far but the WH treaty does not recognize it as a valid document. She would be denied boarding. So your saying it is proof of citizenship is meaningles. It is not an accepted document for closed loop cruises. We must be clear about what documents are allowed because we don't want anyone to be denied boarding. 

As someone who checks-in passengers in Seattle, I can say what @Charles4515 said in the above post is accurate.  Expired passports are not accepted, and the passenger with the expired passport would be denied boarding.  If the passenger was American born, then they could try to get a photo of their gov't issued US birth certificate electronically sent to the pier, where we would print it out and embark them on their closed loop cruise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, razor7_us said:

I stated that his expired US passport is still proof of citizenship provided the terms outlined in my post were met.

And I will state, again, that it is not.

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

All is good...

Are you anti-fun, or what? 😉

We know:

On 3/29/2024 at 4:03 PM, IAcruising said:

Excellent. Thanks for the update.