Acceptable footwear?

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, ORV said:

Socks with sandals is just plain stupid looking,

Our 40-something fashionista daughter educated me years ago. They're called "mandals" and they're gross everywhere 🙂

Edited by clo
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ORV said:

except for the one wearing it and possibly other women.

Decades ago, when I worked in a corporate environment, I did a little test. When I would get to the office in the morning I would try to remember what certain women had worn the day before. Nope. 100% failure. It was a big lesson for me especially when on a cruise.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, clo said:

Our 40-something fashionista daughter educated me years ago. They're called "mandala" and they're gross everywhere 🙂

My husband has one of those and she picks out all his clothes for him.  I haven't shopped for him in years.  (She's my daughter, too.)

Someday socks with sandals will become a trend among teenagers somewhere, and everyone will be wearing them.  What's ugly now is the hottest thing eventually.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Someday socks with sandals will become a trend among teenagers somewhere, and everyone will be wearing them.  What's ugly now is the hottest thing eventually.

Truly true. And my mother at time was pretty horrified by how I dressed in my 20s !

37 minutes ago, Kay S said:

My husband has one of those and she picks out all his clothes for him.  I haven't shopped for him in years.  (She's my daughter, too.)

Well in the UK young men seem to wear white sports socks with sliders. I threaten my not so young man with excommunication if he even thinks about putting socks on with his sandals 😜😂

IMG_2543.webp

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Redtravel said:

The only thing that I have seen them ban was shorts in GDR at dinner.  Sandals are worn everywhere.  Jeans are also seen everywhere.  Most guests dress neatly.  During the day, anything is ok.  At night, guests dress casually most nights. You may see dressy clothing for the Captains reception.  Relax and enjoy.

We had completely forgotten about the GDR dress code when on the Marina a couple of weeks ago, and my son was wearing a (very nice, clean, no logo) T-shirt when we went there for dinner. The maître d' gently reminded us that my son needed a collared shirt, so he changed into a polo shirt. No problem, no muss, no fuss, though I suspect the T shirt was nicer/higher quality than the polo.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

But they are a standard out here in the PNW!  Also the Keens cover the toes, with most of the upper as leather. The socks ARE a joke, though. 

At the worst my dress shoes will be sad and lonely after retirement and would want to get out too😆. Guess I can bring the Clarks along

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CptBoatface said:

But they are a standard out here in the PNW! 

Maybe in Olympia. You mean that you would actually wear those on city streets???? 🙂 (I had to look up Keens and Clarks.)  Clarks look fine for everything except the GDR and the specialty restaurants. My husband brings out his oxblood Weejun tassel loafers for the dressier occasions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clo said:

Maybe in Olympia. You mean that you would actually wear those on city streets???? 🙂 (I had to look up Keens and Clarks.)  Clarks look fine for everything except the GDR and the specialty restaurants. My husband brings out his oxblood Weejun tassel loafers for the dressier occasions.

Actually live in Olympia😆, you got it! The Clarks are actually fairly nice dress shoes, but maybe they are doing sandals now? Out here the boss or head of a meeting wears a tie and if you wear one people ask you what you are interviewing for. 

4 hours ago, nuevowavo said:

19 minutes ago, CptBoatface said:

Out here the boss or head of a meeting wears a tie and if you wear one people ask you what you are interviewing for

My husband worked for Levi Strauss for most of his career and they went for Casual Friday and more and more. If you wore a suit to work, no doubt you were going to an interview...outside the company.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

Yes…allowed. They request no casual jeans in evening, which is a bit discretionary.  Basically no holes, whitewashed, etc.  those thas I’ve seen worn were fine. A dark wash with the lighter weight material which look a bit more dressier. This is for GDR and specialty restaurants.  Terrace much more casual with shorts, etc. 

Thanks. How about if I pair the jeans with trainers or sneakers, or do I have to wear leather shoes as a guy? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vipro said:

Thanks. How about if I pair the jeans with trainers or sneakers, or do I have to wear leather shoes as a guy? 

Leather would be the go to choice. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Leather would be the go to choice. 

Definitely. And since I looked up Keen's 🙂 you could honestly wear them to any meals and any functions.

Kind of related. For men, can we wear short sleeves polo (ie t shirt with collar) or we have to wear long sleeves polo? 

And I guess we have an iron board in the laundry rooms for self-service ironing or we have to send them for pressing? 

That's why I don't prefer to bring clothes that will crease easily. Never a fan of formal dressing. 

• Haha 1

Dressing for the GDR and Specialties in a collared button shirt, slacks and shoes is certainly not formal dressing. Runners(CAN) sneakers(USA),trainers(UK) should not be worn in the evening in any dining venue. Refer to O’s own dress code for guidance. 
Dressy jeans is an oxymoron!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, jackdeb said:

Dressing for the GDR and Specialties in a collared button shirt, slacks and shoes is certainly not formal dressing. Runners(CAN) sneakers(USA),trainers(UK) should not be worn in the evening in any dining venue. Refer to O’s own dress code for guidance. 
Dressy jeans is an oxymoron!

Agree!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vipro said:

Kind of related. For men, can we wear short sleeves polo (ie t shirt with collar) or we have to wear long sleeves polo?

Yes. See my post above - the collar was the key to entry into the GDR.

11 hours ago, JYDCruise said:

Yes. See my post above - the collar was the key to entry into the GDR.

Yes read yours but not sure if u meant long sleeves or short sleeves polo shirt. I guess your yes means short sleeves is allowed as well. 

On 4/2/2024 at 2:11 PM, Techno123 said:

Well in the UK young men seem to wear white sports socks with sliders. I threaten my not so young man with excommunication if he even thinks about putting socks on with his sandals 😜😂

IMG_2543.webp

Alright I stand corrected. But I still hate them - with or without socks 🙂

Do most people wear socks with slides?

The answer is yes. For some, socks and sandals is a big no-no. But for those wholove the combo- you are not alone! Different classes of people from all around the world are rocking this edgy trend, it's been going on for centuries- even the Romans were fond of the pair.Jan 17, 2024
  • Haha 2

On 4/2/2024 at 4:47 PM, clo said:

You have got to be kidding "Clarks look fine for everything except the GDR and the specialty restaurants"

Here is a pic of Clarks, who would tell me they are not dressy enough with a pair of black casual pressed pants?  I don't get it.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 18.32.49.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mb777 said:

You have got to be kidding "Clarks look fine for everything except the GDR and the specialty restaurants"

Here is a pic of Clarks, who would tell me they are not dressy enough with a pair of black casual pressed pants?  I don't get it.

The pictured shoes look great for the main dining room.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mb777 said:

I abjectly apologize. Obviously I should have scrolled DOWN. Thanks for showing this. VERY nice looking shoes.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mb777 said:

I have dress Clarks and I have Clarks men's leather sandals, I can see how the confusion could exist. 

• Thanks 1