Acceptable footwear?

11 minutes ago, clo said:

I abjectly apologize. Obviously I should have scrolled DOWN. Thanks for showing this. VERY nice looking shoes.

Thanks, no apology necessary.  I was afraid I would have to buy yet another pair of fancy uncomfortable shoes in order to eat in the GDR.

• Haha 4

I was on Vista twice last year and was quite surprised at the number of men wearing informal shoes in the restaurants.  (Mind you, not offended - just surprised.)  In most cases, they were black leather or fabric, with black soles.  Unless one looked closely, they would have appeared to be standard - albeit clunky - men's dress shoes.  Personally, I was just afraid that, if I were to wear something similar, they might clash with my dressy jeans. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CptBoatface said:

Sadly, I'm one of the ones who doesn't wear the tie in the meetings 😁

I once asked my dad if he had a tie. He said that he kept one in a drawer at work in case  there were Japanese or Saudi visitors (he was in management at HP 50s to 90s). He wore one to my wedding so I guess he approved 😉

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 6:33 PM, vipro said:

Kind of related. For men, can we wear short sleeves polo (ie t shirt with collar) or we have to wear long sleeves polo? 

And I guess we have an iron board in the laundry rooms for self-service ironing or we have to send them for pressing? 

That's why I don't prefer to bring clothes that will crease easily. Never a fan of formal dressing. 

Even (most of) my husband's "dress shirts" are what's called "permanent press" come out of the dryer, hung on a hanger and worn as is. Also what are generally called "golf shirts." Nice cotton knit with a collar and a few buttons at the top. But honestly those dress if removed shortly after your evening 'stuff,' it will still be wearable. Again and again. Unless you dribble or "perspire." (In the South we say "Horses sweat, men perspire and ladies glow." 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I once asked my dad if he had a tie. He said that he kept one in a drawer at work in case  there were Japanese or Saudi visitors (he was in management at HP 50s to 90s). He wore one to my wedding so I guess he approved 😉

My husband still has a tuxedo from some cruises way back then. Unfortunately our sons in laws didn't wear them to their weddings. So he couldn't outdress the grooms 🙂

35 minutes ago, clo said:

Even (most of) my husband's "dress shirts" are what's called "permanent press" come out of the dryer, hung on a hanger and worn as is. Also what are generally called "golf shirts." Nice cotton knit with a collar and a few buttons at the top. But honestly those dress if removed shortly after your evening 'stuff,' it will still be wearable. Again and again. Unless you dribble or "perspire." (In the South we say "Horses sweat, men perspire and ladies glow." 

Yes I used to have these permanent press shirts for work until I outgrew them. We don't have to wear formal shirts for work if we don't need to face the business. So I have not really replenished my stock for many years and I wonder if I really needed to. I have those collared tops ,(not shirts but they have a few buttons at the top) and come with long or short sleeves but they do crease quite easily. 

Maybe not perspiring is the way to go in this case. Btw. I have never heard of that saying and it is quite funny and I wonder how ladies will glow from where I come from. (A place with high humidity and temperature) 😂

i think we must remember that O carries many older passengers.  Sometimes they cannot wear the stylish shoes some of you want them to.  An example of this was my mother.  She had a bicycle accident as a young child and broke her ankle.  It was not treated correctly and never healed properly.  She had several surgeries as an adult and while it became better it was always a problem for her.  Finally, she had to resort to orthopedic shoes and a brace.  Because of this she was able to walk the last twenty years of her life, but the shoes were butt ugly and the brace made it even worse.  My mother loved dressing to the nines, and this didn't fit with the look she wanted but she wore lovely pant suits and floor length dresses to formal occasions.  She still wore shorts around the people she loved and cared about her, and she knew wouldn't care about her shoes.

I'll admit I don't like to see Crocs and flip-flops in nice restaurants but sometimes the rubber soled shoes are worn for a reason.  I'd rather see people standing on their feet than falling because they feel the need to wear a certain type of shoe.  I think the best advice is to ignore people's shoes.  Once they're at their table you never even have to see them again.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, vipro said:

and I wonder how ladies will glow from where I come from.

Operative word "ladies" not "women." BIG difference 🙂

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, iowananny said:

i think we must remember that O carries many older passengers.  Sometimes they cannot wear the stylish shoes some of you want them to.  An example of this was my mother.  She had a bicycle accident as a young child and broke her ankle.  It was not treated correctly and never healed properly.  She had several surgeries as an adult and while it became better it was always a problem for her.  Finally, she had to resort to orthopedic shoes and a brace.  Because of this she was able to walk the last twenty years of her life, but the shoes were butt ugly and the brace made it even worse.  My mother loved dressing to the nines, and this didn't fit with the look she wanted but she wore lovely pant suits and floor length dresses to formal occasions.  She still wore shorts around the people she loved and cared about her, and she knew wouldn't care about her shoes.

I'll admit I don't like to see Crocs and flip-flops in nice restaurants but sometimes the rubber soled shoes are worn for a reason.  I'd rather see people standing on their feet than falling because they feel the need to wear a certain type of shoe.  I think the best advice is to ignore people's shoes.  Once they're at their table you never even have to see them again.

As Elvis sung: before you abuse, criticize and accuseWalk a mile in my shoes

Fwiw, ate in Jacques tonight. No jacket required, but in excess of 90 percent of the gentlemen wore them.

Cruise Critic posters represent a small percentage of passengers aboard the O ships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, IDL said:

As Elvis sung: before you abuse, criticize and accuseWalk a mile in my shoes

Elvis covered it on a Live album, but it was written by and made a hit record by Joe South. 

We have been on many cruise lines. While, years ago many men wore ties, jackets, or suits. On Oceania, it is seldom seen.  Men usually wear collared shirt at night. That’s ok.  Women tend to be more dressy. Most wear slacks or capris and a nice top. A cruise is a place to be comfortable and relax.  Wear whatever you want. It’s your cruise. Last year, on Marina, I saw a man wearing shorts in the GDR. His party was seated next to us. Then he was told to change into longer pants.  He left and came back wearing long pants.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Well I hate to say that as I am currently recovering from an Achilles tendon rupture, I will probably be wearing pretty, rubber soled lace up 'pumps' so I don't slip and risk a re-rupture and a long dress to hide both my shoes and mismatched calf's 😂😂

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Techno123 said:

Well I hate to say that as I am currently recovering from an Achilles tendon rupture, I will probably be wearing pretty, rubber soled lace up 'pumps' so I don't slip and risk a re-rupture and a long dress to hide both my shoes and mismatched calf's 😂😂

These are rocking the fashion world - even Helen Mirren - so maybe you should check them out.

https://www.cariuma.com/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwztOwBhD7ARIsAPDKnkCZGceQg7fqZKgUUx5Z01zS1MRo7tDR0M3mUiV6XiVBD87S7XJxsbAaAuZIEALw_wcB

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@cloVery similar to what I am planning to wear - I have a fairly large collection of Rocket Dogs in the wardrobe awaiting their first outing 😂😂

image.jpg

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 1