Acceptable footwear?

Brochure said no tennis or sandals in dining rooms.  How strict are they?  Trying to keep luggage light.  Have tennis shoes, sandals and flip flops.  I cam see tennis shoes and flip flops , but sandals?

18 minutes ago, cherokeesmom said:

Brochure said no tennis or sandals in dining rooms.  How strict are they?  Trying to keep luggage light.  Have tennis shoes, sandals and flip flops.  I cam see tennis shoes and flip flops , but sandals?

There are lots of threads on this topic.  You might want to do a search, but,  generally, dress sandals are acceptable, and beach sandals are not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cherokeesmom said:

Brochure said no tennis or sandals in dining rooms.  How strict are they? ...

For women, dress sandals are fine. Esp. if you have a dress.

For men, just need decent pants, shirt with collar, no tie, socks, and shoes. I see it more as business casual attire than country club, but either works, I guess. Just more people go to offices than country clubs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ORV said:

I think someone was looking for this thread just a day or two ago. 

Hahahahaha!  That was me.  So this is the great sandal debate? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Hahahahaha!  That was me.  So this is the great sandal debate? 🤣

Yep.  Many, many threads about whether one can wear sandals in the MDR and specialties...some posts even have pictures attached. Lots of arguments and lots of chuckles.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

For women, dress sandals are fine. Esp. if you have a dress.

It's not enough to have a dress; you must, in fact, be wearing it.  😎  

• Haha 11

On 3/31/2024 at 10:30 AM, 1985rz1 said:

There are lots of threads on this topic.  You might want to do a search, but,  generally, dress sandals are acceptable, and beach sandals are not.

Are "dress" sandals closed toe? Then IMO it's find.

41 minutes ago, clo said:

Are "dress" sandals closed toe? Then IMO it's find.

Aren’t sandals by definition open toed, at least mostly (definitionally speaking)….🤣

Mostly JK!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Aren’t sandals by definition open toed, at least mostly (definitionally speaking)….🤣

Mostly JK!

Never thought about it  that critically.  So yeah no sandsls no matter how many rhinestones. 

14 minutes ago, clo said:

Never thought about it  that critically.  So yeah no sandsls no matter how many rhinestones. 

Yeah, don't forget, you're not in charge, only of you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I bring dress shoes that I normally wear, but also remember to keep in mind ocean conditions.  We only do R ships, and a lot of time, they are rocking and rolling.  I wear black sneakers in those conditions, with a nice outfit, and it has always been fine.  When you can't walk straight because you are bouncing off the walls, you have to do what you have to do.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, emd138 said:

I bring dress shoes that I normally wear, but also remember to keep in mind ocean conditions.  We only do R ships, and a lot of time, they are rocking and rolling.  I wear black sneakers in those conditions, with a nice outfit, and it has always been fine.  When you can't walk straight because you are bouncing off the walls, you have to do what you have to do.

Exactly.  Good advice.

The only thing that I have seen them ban was shorts in GDR at dinner.  Sandals are worn everywhere.  Jeans are also seen everywhere.  Most guests dress neatly.  During the day, anything is ok.  At night, guests dress casually most nights. You may see dressy clothing for the Captains reception.  Relax and enjoy.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

The only thing that I have seen them ban was shorts in GDR at dinner.  Sandals are worn everywhere.  Jeans are also seen everywhere.  Most guests dress neatly.  During the day, anything is ok.  At night, guests dress casually most nights. You may see dressy clothing for the Captains reception.  Relax and enjoy.

So do ppl wear jeans at night? 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, vipro said:

So do ppl wear jeans at night? 

Yes…allowed. They request no casual jeans in evening, which is a bit discretionary.  Basically no holes, whitewashed, etc.  those thas I’ve seen worn were fine. A dark wash with the lighter weight material which look a bit more dressier. This is for GDR and specialty restaurants.  Terrace much more casual with shorts, etc. 

Edited by EJL2023
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, CptBoatface said:

So, clean Keens in good repair (maybe with socks?)

For a man no, women shouldn't but no one will say anything. Actually no one really cares what women wear except for the one wearing it and possibly other women. Men should never wear an open toed shoe to dinner. Socks with sandals is just plain stupid looking, but if that's the look you're going for give it a try. 

Bottom line is rubber shoes simply are not dinner wear, but I've seen lots of people doing it and nothing being said. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ORV said:

Socks with sandals is just plain stupid looking, but if that's the look you're going for give it a try. 

Unless you are 90 years old wearing an overcoat on the beach in Miami, then you are good to go. 

• Haha 5