Has Silversea Really Changed That Much?

lolawpb

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

Running out of fresh food on a long Antartica cruise is not unusual.  There are no ports to reprovision!  However, I was surprised and not impressed that ships were not taking on fresh produce in larger ports along the way as they used to do.  I just cannot think why that practice has stopped.  Bad move!  Bad decision.

Is this a policy that has been announced that there is no provisioning during cruises at all?  

13 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Is this a policy that has been announced that there is no provisioning during cruises at all?  

No, this is just my observation, and reports of lack of fruit and veggies posted on Cruise Critic.  I have experienced shortages myself on cruises along major routes.  I have also hung over the ship’s rail in ports and not seen the usual loading of F&V.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

The OP was asking whether they would be disappointed on Silversea, compared with their last sailing 5 years ago, given the increased number of adverse comments in recent times. A perfectly reasonable question to me.  My last cruise was the World Cruise 2023 on Shadow. Prior to that it was a Pacific Island cruise on Muse in 2020 and the World Cruise in 2019 on Whisper. All were excellent in most respects. Of course, you'd expect a WC to be good given it is their premium product. The next is on Nova in November. I haven't deserted Silversea for anyone else. I've just done a lot less cruising as there are many other things on land to do and the attractions of cruising after 600+ days are fading.

Now, I'm interested to know what are the intentions of the many people here with significant adverse comments. Is it to move to another line, keep sailing with Silversea or cut back sailing overall? Is it so bad now, for the price, that you don't want to sail with Silversea any more? I'm particularly interested in the views of those who have done many trips on Silversea rather than just one, or even none. 

We did 2 classic fleet cruises in 2019 - Muse Sydney to Auckland and Wind around the British Isles.

In 2022 we had a B2B on the Dawn in the Med.

2023 was 54 days on the Moon in the Med then 44 days on the Muse Japan to Cairns.

Currently on the Muse Bali to Japan.

Since COVID there has been a consistent decrease in the on board experience. Currently sitting in Atlantide waiting for breakfast. Arrived 40 minutes ago and all I have had is water and a glass of tomato juice. Rojaan has had fruit though the melon was hard and tasteless so it went back to the kitchen.

Just interrupted by a pair of dolphins swimming along side for a couple of minutes.

The thing that has upset me the most is the apparent incompetence of Head Office . We had 5 more cruises booked after this one. Though 2 B2Bs I count as 4 cruises.

The first of these was May 25- Singapore -Doha - Athens. So SS put in 6 days in Doha between the cruises shortening both sectors. Obviously a 6 day charter which they deny. Offered a discount on the first leg but only a refund or 10% deduction on a new cruise. So changed the second sector to a Capetown cruise going up the east coast of Africa which we have not done as we are on the cruise before Mahe to Capetown in Jan 26. One week later they changed the new cruise to a west coast of Africa cruise. A fair bit of argument before we were allowed to swap that to the cruise before Mahe and keep the extra discount.  

Next cancelled excursions one of which is for the second sector of this cruise. However we had already boarded so can’t access MySilversea so can’t book a replacement. So went to the Shore Concierge team who told me that they could only put me on a wait list until the next cruise starts. Of course those who are to embark on that cruise can book those excursions. Also told that they have suggested to Head Office that they change the policy but they wouldn’t.

So will we continue to book with SS. At the moment we will keep our bookings as at much cheaper prices than now plus can use our complimentary cruises to reduce costs even further.

However if we see no change in attitude these booked cruises will be our last with SS.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, pavementends said:

You can't go home again (cf. Thomas Wolfe) and you can't step into the same river twice.

Fortunately I've only started to cruise Silversea so previous experiences haven't stopped me from having a good time. As for price, I have been able to book at what I consider to be reasonable prices (although this was during the recent sale, not afterwards. And for a couple, not single).

I can't help suspecting that the extremely high cabin price mentioned above for an Antarctic trip was either the last very high end cabin or a website error. Yes, the Antarctic costs a lot but it doesn't need to be that much.

Agree about pricing in Antarctic. It depends on itinerary. The longer 21-day or so voyages that include Elephant Island can be that expensive. But the shorter 10 - 12 day voyages are usually half the price.

At what point can Covid still be considered to blame for inadequacies of the current product?

Covid and the sellout to mothership occurred, to all intents and purposes, at the same time. I'd posit that current deficiencies owe more to the latter than the former. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Agree about pricing in Antarctic. It depends on itinerary. The longer 21-day or so voyages that include Elephant Island can be that expensive. But the shorter 10 - 12 day voyages are usually half the price.

Silversea's expedition vessels Cloud and Wind are really old by today's standards and do not comply with current or imminent environmental rules.  Lines line Seabourn, Ponant, Hapag-Lloyd, Scenic, Swan Hellenic have far better options for polar expeditions these days.  

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Silversea's expedition vessels Cloud and Wind are really old by today's standards and do not comply with current or imminent environmental rules.  Lines line Seabourn, Ponant, Hapag-Lloyd, Scenic, Swan Hellenic have far better options for polar expeditions these days.  

Agree. It’s one reason I have booked my Antarctic cruise with Seabourn. 

2 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

At what point can Covid still be considered to blame for inadequacies of the current product?

Covid and the sellout to mothership occurred, to all intents and purposes, at the same time. I'd posit that current deficiencies owe more to the latter than the former. 

True to a point. However, the financial losses caused by Covid are still being paid for by all cruise lines.

Just a note @commodoredave the Muse voyage starting in Yokohama tomorrow is completely full. I have asked if getting extra staff but a lot of changing the subject going on.

At least they should be re provisioning as very little done since Bali if any.

12 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Just a note @commodoredave the Muse voyage starting in Yokohama tomorrow is completely full. I have asked if getting extra staff but a lot of changing the subject going on.

At least they should be re provisioning as very little done since Bali if any.

Let me know if I should bring some strawberries aboard tomorrow for you! We arrived Yokohama yesterday and look forward to boarding Wednesday. Will you be staying onboard for the next leg, and if so, can I buy you a drink!!

19 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

The OP was asking whether they would be disappointed on Silversea, compared with their last sailing 5 years ago, given the increased number of adverse comments in recent times. A perfectly reasonable question to me.  My last cruise was the World Cruise 2023 on Shadow. Prior to that it was a Pacific Island cruise on Muse in 2020 and the World Cruise in 2019 on Whisper. All were excellent in most respects. Of course, you'd expect a WC to be good given it is their premium product. The next is on Nova in November. I haven't deserted Silversea for anyone else. I've just done a lot less cruising as there are many other things on land to do and the attractions of cruising after 600+ days are fading.

Now, I'm interested to know what are the intentions of the many people here with significant adverse comments. Is it to move to another line, keep sailing with Silversea or cut back sailing overall? Is it so bad now, for the price, that you don't want to sail with Silversea any more? I'm particularly interested in the views of those who have done many trips on Silversea rather than just one, or even none. 

We have been sailing Silversea since 2006 and will hit our 350 day milestone on our May 1 Muse cruise. Some of our best Silversea cruises have been post-covid and after RCI took over - the Moon and Dawn inaugural cruises in particular. However, there were less than 250 people aboard and the service was stellar, as was the F&B. Since those cruises we have done several on the Moon and Dawn (including one in October on the Dawn) and noticed some cost-cutting, but still enjoyed them immensely and felt Silversea was delivering a quality product. However, our January/February cruise on the Nova was a huge disappointment. We had worse service and occasionally worse food than we have experienced in the past on mass market lines. In addition to the F & B cost cutting mentioned above, the restaurants and bars  were seriously understaffed. For example, while the SALT Bar on the Dawn/Moon had 1 bartender and 1 server, the Salt Bar on the Nova, which was serving at least 4 times the number of guests, had only 2 bartenders and 2 servers. They did their utmost, but it routinely took 20 to 30 minutes to get a drink. We found similarly slow service due to understaffing in Atlantide, Salt Kitchen and Dolce Vita. We hoped that these issues were limited to the Nova (which we will not sail again) but complaints on CC have us worried that the issues are more widespread. We have decided to use our upcoming cruise on the Muse as a test. If it goes well we keep the cruises we have booked in 24 and early 25 and book our "free" cruise. If our experience is as disappointing as the Nova was, we will probably still book the "free" cruise, but cancel the others.

I am, for the first time in years, researching other cruise lines  to replace at least some of the cruises we may have to cancel (Explora and Regent currently, but perhaps others as well).  Additionally, I am looking into expanding the land portion of our trip to French Polynesia in case we have to cancel our cruise there on the Shadow.

We will be very disappointed if our Muse cruise is not a good experience!

• Like 3

Have been on enough SS cruises over 20 years to have free laundry et al, with several more booked ahead, so have seen changes, some good some bad, but none that would make me alter my loyalty. The cruise market as a whole has changed, especially post covid, and obviously all cruise lines adapt and consolidate. 

For example I don't miss the personalised note paper we used to get, and if a fruit bowl becomes on request than thatvs no bad thing. 

I use Regent too and they are in some ways better but in other ways worse - I'm not about to change my cruise habits, but I do manage my expectations to the reality! 

• Like 3

Boarding the Nova for a short voyage on Tuesday. Hoping the service is good as on past voyages with other SS ships .I can't comment on food . I'm from the South so a good meal is always cooked with fatback or lard ! 😂👍😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, commodoredave said:

https://quote.silversea.com/v3/EV250106015?guests=A1-K0&airfare=DoorToDoorV2-flights--Business&gateway=DoorToDoorV2-flights--ABZ&fare=DoorToDoorV2-flights

On 4/2/2024 at 3:27 PM, Tothesunset said:

I agree that it is more RCI. They tend to be very specific and restrictive on food provisioning.

I agree that Silversea has gone downhill in food quality. We used to rate Silversea, Seabourne and Crystal as outstanding, with Oceania slightly below. We recently took  cruises on Silversea, Crystal and Oceania. For food, Crystal is number one, followed closely by Oceania and Silversea has dropped way down.  The staff is still great and the ships are lovely, but the food is mediocre at best.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2024 at 5:45 PM, turtlemichael said:

I haven't deserted Silversea for anyone else. I've just done a lot less cruising as there are many other things on land to do and the attractions of cruising after 600+ days are fading.

Mrs Banjo and I have similar feelings.  We have not deserted SS, (or other lines), but we find ourselves doing less cruising.  We have noted the declining experience and rising fares and feel the value per cruise is not always where we expect it to be anymore.  We are now mostly planning land tours with small group operators that are providing what we perceive to be better value.  That is not to say we won’t be cruising, just that we exploring and finding alternate options  that fulfill our desire to travel in the manor we are accustomed to.

• Like 9

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

Mrs Banjo and I have similar feelings.  We have not deserted SS, (or other lines), but we find ourselves doing less cruising.  We have noted the declining experience and rising fares and feel the value per cruise is not always where we expect it to be anymore.  We are now mostly planning land tours with small group operators that are providing what we perceive to be better value.  That is not to say we won’t be cruising, just that we exploring and finding alternate options  that fulfill our desire to travel in the manor we are accustomed to.

There are also more jet journeys too whether they be around-the-world or regional.  My DH and I have never been frequent cruisers, preferring to do our own land-based exploring but we do love the jet trips.  We have our third around-the-world booked next year. At this stage we enjoy the prospect of just showing up for the trip and having every detail executed flawlessly.  Cruises are great in that respect as well but to a lesser degree.  We’re becoming more appreciative of the positives of group travel as we get older but are very selective.  SS has been our go-to for our few ocean cruises but I’m concerned about the direction of the line.  We’ll see next month how the Monaco F1 sailing goes and will decide if we keep our booking for Japan after that.

Edited by Gourmet Gal
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

There are also more jet journeys too whether they be around-the-world or regional.  My DH and I have never been frequent cruisers, preferring to do our own land-based exploring but we do love the jet trips.  We have our third around-the-world booked next year. At this stage we enjoy the prospect of just showing up for the trip and having every detail executed flawlessly.  Cruises are great in that respect as well but to a lesser degree.  We’re becoming more appreciative of the positives of group travel as we get older but are very selective.  SS has been our go-to for our few ocean cruises but I’m concerned about the direction of the line.  We’ll see next month how the Monaco F1 sailing goes and will decide if we keep our booking for Japan after that.

interesting post we were on the Muse Christmas/nyears it was a disaster we will be on the spirit

also and evaluate SS for future trips we did last Christmas on the regent ship grandeur and it was an out of mind event the service and food we like days gone bye bye

On 4/3/2024 at 7:56 PM, Invited On-board said:

Your input re solo fares provides genuine insight, you are after all,dealing with the situation each time you book and have done so pre and post the changes in management at the line.

The example cited of "per diem" costing is fair,objective and thought provoking.It is when it comes up against a sector where cost appears to be based on twin occupancy rates that there is complication.Also, what would happen for example when a couple or half a couple don't drink alcohol? should  their per diem rate or part thereof be reduced?

A look at land based vacation providers,(UK) at both ends of the market scale shows that the same notion of a solo supplement effectively applies.It is not referenced as a solo supplement  but vacations are priced at a base level of two people sharing with a resultant increase, up to 100%  for a solo traveller. None of which is meant to say or imply that solo fares are agreeable. They seem to be built into the business model that current vacation sector operates.

A current look at what SS offer with a 25% solo fare is only of any use if the applicable voyages are of interest. 

The SS Venetian referral opportunity is only of use for one occasion each, within your circle of friends,so not practical as an ongoing basis

Re the example of having found a voyage where one or more couples within your circle elect to book the same cruise, is it worth  considering making it a single booking, under one lead name for the booking as opposed to three separate ones ? there maybe extra benefits from doing so?.

SS could consider, making the connecting suite of the larger top tier suites as marketable as single occupancy when not taken as a two bedroom option ? Though would their location and adjoining door be an attractive  proposition? Also as an option, the last. likely creates further complications as opposed to solutions.

Until the vacation sector, sea and land, can find a different model to double occupancy, on which to  base price we are all , however unpalatable it is,stuck with it,

Personally, I’ve no expectation of booking anything without a solo supplement. If I’m booking a straight forward room then I expect to pay the going rate for that room. if I’m booking a room that includes bc flights for 2, food, drinks, excursions etc then that riles me. I Don’t mind paying 25, 50 or 75% in certain situations but to be paying 100% when there is so much that I’m not receiving doesn’t fill my heart with fluffy holiday happiness, it just makes me feel my OH could be here for free if our circumstances allowed, which they don’t. 

• Like 3

On 4/3/2024 at 6:29 PM, Invited On-board said:

At the other end of the scale,a mass market land based vacation provider can also cater for solo arrangements,by changing the requirements from two people to a solo traveller the price doubles, though remains at the same level as for two people. in other words a solo supplement is applied.

I’d beg to differ, I’m currently in the process of booking a land tour including an Azamara cruise for next January. The solo supplement is around 25% which I am joyous over(that would never be available directly through Az) so much so that’s It’s encouraging me to go first class on my flights. Many cruise lines are waking up to the solo market. My “mass market” Edge cruise in January in a solo verandah was incredible and surpassed Ss in most ways, especially considering what I’ve seen lately of the quality onboard. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 2:10 PM, crusinbanjo said:

Mrs Banjo and I have similar feelings.  We have not deserted SS, (or other lines), but we find ourselves doing less cruising.  We have noted the declining experience and rising fares and feel the value per cruise is not always where we expect it to be anymore. We are now mostly planning land tours with small group operators that are providing what we perceive to be better value.  That is not to say we won’t be cruising, just that we exploring and finding alternate options  that fulfill our desire to travel in the manor we are accustomed to.

Thank you cruisinbanjo and turtlemichael before you, for posts that very much capture the feelings of Mrs machotspur and I.

We've been on 26 cruises, of which 12 or so have been with Silversea, and much of the remainder with Seabourn & Regent. 

Our most recent cruise on Silver Dawn last month was poor in so many ways and our feelings about the experience are accurately reflected in bold in your post above.

The reality is that the quality of the product of all of the cruise companies we have previously travelled with has declined significantly (IMHO), with the fares going through the roof. We do not believe that any of them are now (ultra) luxury. To us the term 'luxury' is now a misnomer when applied to Silversea et al.    

Like you we are not entirely 'throwing our toys out of the pram' and saying that we are done with cruising. However - there is no doubt going forward our travel plans will more likely be 75/25 land to sea, compared to recent years (COVID excluded) of 25/75.

Whilst we understand - albeit not fully support - the reason for travel companies 'balancing the books', our experience is that - worldwide - the quality of premium land based travel has not been reduced as dramatically as the 'luxury' cruise companies.

As always - "you pays your money and makes your choice" !

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, machotspur said:

Thank you cruisinbanjo and turtlemichael before you, for posts that very much capture the feelings of Mrs machotspur and I.

We've been on 26 cruises, of which 12 or so have been with Silversea, and much of the remainder with Seabourn & Regent. 

Our most recent cruise on Silver Dawn last month was poor in so many ways and our feelings about the experience are accurately reflected in bold in your post above.

The reality is that the quality of the product of all of the cruise companies we have previously travelled with has declined significantly (IMHO), with the fares going through the roof. We do not believe that any of them are now (ultra) luxury. To us the term 'luxury' is now a misnomer when applied to Silversea et al.    

Like you we are not entirely 'throwing our toys out of the pram' and saying that we are done with cruising. However - there is no doubt going forward our travel plans will more likely be 75/25 land to sea, compared to recent years (COVID excluded) of 25/75.

Whilst we understand - albeit not fully support - the reason for travel companies 'balancing the books', our experience is that - worldwide - the quality of premium land based travel has not been reduced as dramatically as the 'luxury' cruise companies.

As always - "you pays your money and makes your choice" !

Well said. Like you, we have been moving towards more land based vacations and will continue to do so. Cruising will still be part of the mix in future, but a smaller percentage of it.

• Like 1