Has Silversea Really Changed That Much?

lolawpb

37 minutes ago, sea bright said:

The Observation was overrun by the bridge players and only sporadically replenished.

Not all sailings are bridge sailings but there usually are at least a few players so all the more reason to keep it replenished.  The Observation Bar is my favorite spot in the mornings, especially for sailing into port.  Hopefully if there are enough complaints there will be more attention paid to this area.  On other ships the Panorama bar also had coffee and pastries available even those with an Arts Cafe.

You know, a lot of people are addicted to caffeine.  SS needs to fix this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, irvington said:

I've been reading all these concerns and I'm wondering how they will affect me, the cruise I have planned for this fall and the one I'm about to pull the trigger on for next year. I've only been on Silversea once, last fall, but felt I had finally found a good way for me to travel solo and had the best vacation I could remember.

I found the ship and crew lovely, the itinerary interesting, and I really liked the other passengers, who seemed positive, curious, and educated. The tours were fairly large but good, and I liked the onboard lectures a lot. 

As a solo, it seemed like a decent price, interesting people I could talk to when I wanted to, and time by myself if that was what I preferred, and someone else figuring out how we were going to get from point A to B. All of those are either hard to find traveling truly solo, or if on a tour type trip you have to pray that the other folks won't drive you crazy since you can't escape them.

I live in a very "foodie" part of the world, which may make me picky but also means I don't travel primarily to experience food. I thought the food was generally quite good Fall 2023 on the Muse and the few things I didn't care for, I didn't finish. I never went hungry; kind of the opposite problem. Has the food declined a lot since last fall? It sounds like there are fewer items on the menu for sure, so I may have to plan where I eat a bit more. 

Curious if there are any thoughts about what I am "there for" that would cause you to skip booking a trip for next year? I realize it is totally my decision. 

I also enjoyed Muse last year, and Dawn and Wind to follow.  Yes, there were a few issues with meals, but not enough to ruin the cruises.  Any disappointments were made up by mostly wonderful crew and other excellent experiences. (Particularly Drew in SALT Lab.)  I felt special on many occasions as Maître d’s and waiters called my by name and knew my preferences. Your comments as a solo passenger align with mine.

Based on my experiences during 114 days of SS cruising last year, I’ll be back. I have a booking on Wind in June and on Silver Ray in 2026.  However, it is the price that will stop me rebooking.  Fares are just too high now, especially as a solo.  We have to book 18-24 months in advance usually to find 25% solo supplements. 

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I also enjoyed Muse last year, and Dawn and Wind to follow.  Yes, there were a few issues with meals, but not enough to ruin the cruises.  Any disappointments were made up by mostly wonderful crew and other excellent experiences. (Particularly Drew in SALT Lab.)  I felt special on many occasions as Maître d’s and waiters called my by name and knew my preferences. Your comments as a solo passenger align with mine.

Based on my experiences during 114 days of SS cruising last year, I’ll be back. I have a booking on Wind in June and on Silver Ray in 2026.  However, it is the price that will stop me rebooking.  Fares are just too high now, especially as a solo.  We have to book 18-24 months in advance usually to find 25% solo supplements. 

And how about the crazy expensive Business Class airfares!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RetiredOnVacation said:

Sorry to repeat, but you are mistaken and not limited to the TV interactive or an app for doing these surveys. You can use the MyCruise.com web address on a browser too, much simpler! And iirc you use the text box at the the end to list exemplary staff you want to commend. That's worked for me over last couple of cruises post covid.

Just so you know for the future! 

Except I used a browser which worked well until it crashed. I had completed an extensive list of problems taking about 25 minutes. I was about to add the names of the crew when the page simply disappeared. Obviously didn’t get submitted.

So I added a 3 page letter with the current mid voyage paper based survey. I will be using the web based version again tomorrow. If it crashes head office will get an email with all the details. 

And by the way 5 people on our trivia team last time used the browser method. Only 1 was able to successfully submit the survey.

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

So I added a 3 page letter with the current mid voyage paper based survey. I will be using the web based version again tomorrow. If it crashes head office will get an email with all the details.

Why risk the wasted time?  Write your comments in your favorite word processor and save them.  Then, when you get around to the survey, copy and paste.  It's what we all did back in the day when we were ultra concerned about shipboard satellite minutes.  Why waste time composing online?

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, drron29 said:

Except I used a browser which worked well until it crashed. I had completed an extensive list of problems taking about 25 minutes. I was about to add the names of the crew when the page simply disappeared. Obviously didn’t get submitted.

And by the way 5 people on our trivia team last time used the browser method. Only 1 was able to successfully submit the survey.

That's very bad luck! Hopefully trivia was more successful! 

Top tip: For text box forms (like for adding crew commendations) I always first type my comments into a Notes app on my mobile device (especially noting crew names throughout the cruise) and then copy & paste into the survey form itself. That way you don't lose hours of typing if something happens to the survey form and you can easily repeat. 

Edit to add: sorry @canderson, you already mentioned that tip! 

Edited by RetiredOnVacation

On 4/11/2024 at 2:04 PM, tinaincc said:

Are you sure you were on Apex?  We were on last Summer as well and ate at Fine cut 2x, Eden 2x and Raw on 5 for 4 lunches. Le Grande bistro was only available for lunch and we did it once. I agree that Lumine became boring but I would say the food and ambiance on Apex was great.  What is MCRIDE?

It is bad typing - Magic Carpet Ride

This entire thread is giving me pause. I started with SS in 2017 and my most recent cruise was back in November on the NOVA TA crossing.  I am booked on Ray for December but I am actually thinking of cancelling it.  Going back in my memory bank, my 2 favorite ships are Dawn and Moon.  I did have a good time on that crossing but thinking about it now........she was not even close for me (in terms of favorite ships, deck plans, set up, etc). I have not made final payment yet so I have time to decide..........I miss the regular Arts Cafe......it is one of my most favorite spots. They really made an error oh how they did it on Nova (in my opinion).....Ray is supposed to have the same poor layout. Lots of wasted space.

Just not sure I want to spend $$$$ for something I am not truly happy with.......

• Like 5

10 hours ago, drron29 said:

We were on Silver Dawn last month and like you added a 1 page simple letter to the mid cruise questionaire, clearly stating that it was in lieu of the small mid cruise card. 

Usually one is contacted one or two days after submitting the mid cruise comments. On this occasion we heard nothing so I pointed this out to the Hotel Director. She advised that onboard management wouldn't be responding as it is a 'rule' that any letters handed in are referred to 'shore side' for response - a response that we never forthcoming.  Sad, but predictable.

29 minutes ago, machotspur said:

We were on Silver Dawn last month and like you added a 1 page simple letter to the mid cruise questionaire, clearly stating that it was in lieu of the small mid cruise card. 

Usually one is contacted one or two days after submitting the mid cruise comments. On this occasion we heard nothing so I pointed this out to the Hotel Director. She advised that onboard management wouldn't be responding as it is a 'rule' that any letters handed in are referred to 'shore side' for response - a response that we never forthcoming.  Sad, but predictable.

Different on the Muse. Within 2 days I was contacted by the Shore Concierge manager and the deputy hotel director. On top of that one of the Maitre'ds came over to our table the next night and said he had read my comments and thanked me for speaking up.

SS is remaining consistently inconsistent.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

This entire thread is giving me pause. I started with SS in 2017 and my most recent cruise was back in November on the NOVA TA crossing.  I am booked on Ray for December but I am actually thinking of cancelling it.  Going back in my memory bank, my 2 favorite ships are Dawn and Moon.  I did have a good time on that crossing but thinking about it now........she was not even close for me (in terms of favorite ships, deck plans, set up, etc). I have not made final payment yet so I have time to decide..........I miss the regular Arts Cafe......it is one of my most favorite spots. They really made an error oh how they did it on Nova (in my opinion).....Ray is supposed to have the same poor layout. Lots of wasted space.

Just not sure I want to spend $$$$ for something I am not truly happy with.......

I hear you, Lois.  We are booked to go on the Ray in October but it is a port-intensive voyage to Greek and Turkish ports that was the only one to fit our schedule.  If I had a choice, I would go with Muse class too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

I hear you, Lois.  We are booked to go on the Ray in October but it is a port-intensive voyage to Greek and Turkish ports that was the only one to fit our schedule.  If I had a choice, I would go with Muse class too.

Hi Dawn, I changed cruises today. I have been going round and round with some other issues lately and decided I don't want to sail The Ray. I found a 2 week Caribbean cruise on The Moon for a good price in December.  (Yes, good even for a solo). 

I had to go back to the hospital week before last for 4 more days......then last week I had an outpatient procedure......l have no desire to fly to Europe right now.  Life can get complicated and I want to spend my $$ on a ship I know I love (if that makes any sense at all)

• Like 12

And last night a letter from the HD was delivered to our suite going through the points I raised in my letter accompanying the mid cruise survey. It was 3 pages written on both sides so someone obviously read every word.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Dawn, I changed cruises today. I have been going round and round with some other issues lately and decided I don't want to sail The Ray. I found a 2 week Caribbean cruise on The Moon for a good price in December.  (Yes, good even for a solo). 

I had to go back to the hospital week before last for 4 more days......then last week I had an outpatient procedure......l have no desire to fly to Europe right now.  Life can get complicated and I want to spend my $$ on a ship I know I love (if that makes any sense at all)

Sorry @Lois R to hear you've been feeling poorly. Hope you are 100% on the mend. Also that your experience on the Nova was enough to make you cancel your Ray trip. I really enjoyed reading some of your posts on here. I am so worried about my Nova cruise in Sept. But, not much I can do. Just gotta hope for the best. Glad you found a solo Caribbean trip to your liking!

Edited by BBGrace273

3 hours ago, drron29 said:

And last night a letter from the HD was delivered to our suite going through the points I raised in my letter accompanying the mid cruise survey. It was 3 pages written on both sides so someone obviously read every word.

Interested in whether you think the follow up and attention your letter created was in part due to the large number of cruises/cruise days you have with SS (ie would a lesser mortal not receive the same treatment?)

We will never know. I thought the reaction to my letter was a positive sign for the future.

As to whether the number of days was important this was the first cruise we have had on Silversea where not a single invite to a management hosted table was received. Seems to indicate the number of nights was not that important.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, drron29 said:

We will never know. I thought the reaction to my letter was a positive sign for the future.

As to whether the number of days was important this was the first cruise we have had on Silversea where not a single invite to a management hosted table was received. Seems to indicate the number of nights was not that important.

I guess sharing the letter reply would not be appropriate but what comments/criticisms were made by you and how were they addressed? Positively or maybe just platitudes? 

9 hours ago, BBGrace273 said:

Sorry @Lois R to hear you've been feeling poorly. Hope you are 100% on the mend. Also that your experience on the Nova was enough to make you cancel your Ray trip. I really enjoyed reading some of your posts on here. I am so worried about my Nova cruise in Sept. But, not much I can do. Just gotta hope for the best. Glad you found a solo Caribbean trip to your liking!

Thank you for the kind words. I do appreciate them very much. I would not worry too much and hope you have a good cruise too.

• Like 2

just concluded a Western Med cruise on Silver Dawn and we had a wonderful time!  Silversea Air flights on ITA (had to learn to pronounce this as "eeta") were excellent in BizClass, Bernina hotel in Rome was also very good.  On board, our butler was a pleasure & kept up with everything we requested, enjoyed all meals we took on board, thought the Motown show was fun.  Comments in the various threads here had me nervous.  We booked door to door and were so well taken care 0f - there was even a Silversea rep at the Rome airport to direct us to where to start the boarding process when our driver dropped us off. 

In our case, Silversea was just what we needed for a great 1-week getaway.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

just concluded a Western Med cruise on Silver Dawn and we had a wonderful time!  Silversea Air flights on ITA (had to learn to pronounce this as "eeta") were excellent in BizClass, Bernina hotel in Rome was also very good.  On board, our butler was a pleasure & kept up with everything we requested, enjoyed all meals we took on board, thought the Motown show was fun.  Comments in the various threads here had me nervous.  We booked door to door and were so well taken care 0f - there was even a Silversea rep at the Rome airport to direct us to where to start the boarding process when our driver dropped us off. 

In our case, Silversea was just what we needed for a great 1-week getaway.  

Hi Que,  glad you had a good cruise!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2024 at 10:41 PM, drron29 said:

I think there were a few onboard who made suggestions. I certainly mentioned patties in my mid cruise survey. I am sure it was a local ship decision.

I will though be wary of the lunch time enchiladas etc that appear on the Atlantide menu.

Happy to report that I’m on the Muse right now and my husband just enjoyed a fat, perfectly prepped fresh burger on the pool deck. All is well on 4/26 in Kanazawa. 

• Like 7

On 4/15/2024 at 2:56 PM, machotspur said:

I had the same experience , and she avoided contact with the passengers as much as possible. 

My experiences on the Dawn last month were of such a kind that I decided to cancel my booked cruise for November and that I will close the door with Silversea. Too many items were not ok and for sure not luxurious at all. Ranging from poor wine service on various occasions  ( special +200$ bottles ) , unpleasant buffets , and in general dowgraded F&B operations. 

Friendliness and a lot of drinks are not synonym for 5 starred cruising.  

I think the availibility of¨Pommery bubbles   can also have a silent ending as well...soon ? 

• Like 2

Slummimg it in Bangkok at the IC. Brought back to me the downgrading of F&B on SS. The IC can fit more and better seafood in this little canape dish than SS can put in a bowl of seafood chowder.

IMG_9212.thumb.jpg.37a0fa36ec855b2e3c59acb92377660f.jpg

• Like 2