Standard balcony vs scooter

F355c5

Anyone have the experience of renting a scooter when booked in a deluxe balcony cabin?
I’m getting nervous about the problems I can encounter.

thanks

i also posted this question in the disabled cruising category.

You really need a handicap accessible stateroom with a scooter. I saw several who had booked regular width door staterooms and couldn’t get their scooters through as a result. I know it’s tough to get an accessible stateroom, since they’re so limited. 

The door is 22 inches wide. Person will have to be able to walk and stand some to use the bathroom and shower. There is a step into the bathroom. There are some rentals that do fit through the doors. Scooters can not be parked in the hallways. The hall is way too narrow. 

Some scooters will fit through the doors and some will not. You will need to verify the dimensions.

The person may not be able to take the scooter in and out of the cabin without assistance. If they can walk to the hallway, someone else can take the scooter out, and it will fit through the door, then it would work.

My wife does not use a scooter, but has some mobility issues. We book either a full suite, a balcony, or an outside. We never book a mini-suite. The mini-suite has shower in tub. If a shower in tub would not work, make sure you are not upgraded to a mini-suite.

• Like 1

If you use a CVP, they should have been able to get you an accessible cabin. We usually get an interior cabin. Last cruise I couldn't find an accessible cabin at all so I called and talked to a CVP, and he got me an accessible balcony cabin and we only paid for an interior since there was no more accessible cabins left they had to bump us up to the next available accessible for the price of what we were looking for.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, F355c5 said:

Solve problem , princess sent my a email my bid for vista suite was successful.

thank all

Glad you have a good resolution.  Is your scooter smaller than 22 inches or collapsible?

Curious about winning your bid.  I only heard (declined) about my (one) bid a day before my cruise.  Was your bid accepted right away?  

Your wife is fortunate to have such a thoughtful husband.  Happy cruising.

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Glad you have a good resolution.  Is your scooter smaller than 22 inches or collapsible?

Curious about winning your bid.  I only heard (declined) about my (one) bid a day before my cruise.  Was your bid accepted right away?  

Your wife is fortunate to have such a thoughtful husband.  Happy cruising.

Scooter 21 “ from Special needs at sea.

response to offer was 2 days later

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2024 at 4:26 AM, skynight said:

The door is 22 inches wide. Person will have to be able to walk and stand some to use the bathroom and shower. There is a step into the bathroom. There are some rentals that do fit through the doors. Scooters can not be parked in the hallways. The hall is way too narrow. 

Many are parked in the hallways.  At least for this scooter they can park it outside of the door of the Mini-Suite. The walked could/should be folded and brought inside the cabin but.....This was on our recent Discovery Princess cruise. 

Scooter.jpg

• Like 1

We've sailed with parents renting scooters from Special Needs at Sea over the years. Many times it was a balcony cabin (not accessible) and the scooter fit through the door. Yes, it was tight, but an accessible cabin was not necessary. We have steered clear of mini-suites because of the tub/shower combo--so nice they've stopped that with Sun Princess.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, F355c5 said:

New scooter rented  ultra light weight folding weight 37.5 pounds

my winning bid was in the fair meter 

That is the one I will have to try to rent for our DS for our next cruise. Really don't want to try to fit two regular scooters in the cabin.