Upgrade Offers

Tutuma

4 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We just caught a Unicorn!!!

We leave Sunday for Iceland's Majestic Landscapes (stay tuned for live posting) and we just received a free upgrade from a DV4 to a PV1.

Last week I posted that this cruise was possibly overbooked in the V and/or DV categories as I saw they were selling "Guaranteed" rooms. We received an offer to upgrade to a PV for $500 pp, which I did not respond to. Today we got it for free.

The email came from  "Yield Management" which means they are in charge of making sure the ship sails as full as possible. This cruise has been heavily promoted in the last few months so IMO the dominoes are falling upward: guaranteed V's moved to DVs, DVs moved to PVs, and possibly PVs moved to PJS.

So if you are looking for a Unicorn, don't. They just magically appear.

Wow Joe!  What a fantastic treat!

They always come if you don't expect it, don't they.  You will definitely enjoy your trip.  Looking forward to your posts on your "Live from Iceland"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, millybess said:

Congratulations!!  Some people are saying they had to accept the offer, even if they wanted to stay in the original cabin they booked.  We're curious as to whether you had a choice?😊🎂

For us, no choice.  We arrived in Greenwich, no one knew where we supposed to be.  We had been upgraded without our knowledge or, apparently, anyone on Viking’s end.  We had no card key to board the ship. We had to tender over with Viking staff and wait in guest services.  Then we found they had moved us from our chosen PV1 cabin to a PJS 1 cabin.  We had no choice.  Our preferred PV cabin had been give away and the PJS1 cabin we were given was the second worst cabin we have ever had (worst being a guarantee PV1 cabin). I hated everything about it.  So, be careful what you wish for…

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Why did you dislike the PV1?

No,  We love PV1s and our chosen room is 6009 or 6008 (the PV1 we didn’t like and got on guarantee was (EDIT) 6095.  The overhang from the WC was a drag, in our opinion. Just dark and blocked the views.  We heard noise early every morning from WC set up.  We were far from stairs, and just generally hated being all the way in the back.  

but maybe, now that I write this, I liked our PJS even less.  Bad location and really don’t much like the PJS set up.  But it’s all subjective.  I bet you’ll love your PV1.

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 1

We were upgraded on our last cruise (Viking Homelands, June 2024). We received an email with the upgrade the evening before we left home. We were upgraded from our PS on Deck 7 to ES1 all the way forward on Deck 5. Nice to have a table, but we never ordered breakfast room service on that cruise. Also the bath was very large with a tub we never used. Unfortunately the balcony was limited to just the side. The front deck space was blocked off.  Also we had to keep the drape closed during the day to block the sun from heating up the cabin. Hanging closet space was very limited.

We both agreed, we much prefer a a cabin on Deck 7 closer to the elevator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

The overhang from the WC was a drag, in our opinion. Just dark and blocked the views.  We heard noise early every morning from WC set up.  We were far from stairs, and just generally hated being all the way in the back.  

We’ve been moved to Deck 5 so no issues with the World Cafe.

I contacted Viking about what to do with the pre-printed luggage tags and was told to cross out the room number and write the new one on the tag. Hopefully our luggage finds us in a timely manner.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

No,  We love PV1s and our chosen room is 6009 or 6008 (the PV1 we didn’t like and got on guarantee was (EDIT) 6095.  The overhang from the WC was a drag, in our opinion. Just dark and blocked the views.  We heard noise early every morning from WC set up.  We were far from stairs, and just generally hated being all the way in the back.  

but maybe, now that I write this, I liked our PJS even less.  Bad location and really don’t much like the PJS set up.  But it’s all subjective.  I bet you’ll love your PV1.

You're right, the overhang and the very early morning noise was awful on aft deck 6.  For Norway Fjords we booked PV5022 and for some reason we switched to PV6094.  Of course, on that cruise, a lot of the scenery is "up".  Well we couldn't see "up".  So if we wanted decent photos, we had to go up to the Aquavit.

We walked by 5022 and it was perfectly situated.  Live and learn.

In regard to PS, we like 8000 or 8001.  We have been further back and have found it can be noisy because of the sports deck above.

On our last cruise, we were in 7018.  We really liked deck 7 because it's so close to everything.  However, if we were to choose deck 7 again, we would choose a room further down the hall away from the elevators.

15 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I contacted Viking about what to do with the pre-printed luggage tags and was told to cross out the room number and write the new one on the tag. Hopefully our luggage finds us in a timely manner.

A couple of cruises ago, Viking informed us that the room we chose was shut down for maintenance, so they moved us a few rooms forward.  They said the same thing -- write it on the tag.  We did that, and we had to report to the luggage room, show i.d., etc.  It took quite a while.  Hopefully your change will go more smoothly.

On our last cruise, our luggage tags didn't arrive, so we printed and laminated our own.  Worked perfectly!

Just got back from Iceland’s Natural Beauty. We received a free upgrade from a DV4 to a PV1 4 days before embarkation - no choice. Received a revised booking document, so we changed the cabin number on our tags with a Sharpie and had no issues.We usually book cabins near the rear elevators so we were fine with 6077. We also had the good side for scenery - but it rained every day and we didn’t see the sun until we disembarked in Reykjavik. The extra room was nice, and would gladly take a similar upgrade if offered again - but I wouldn’t pay for the difference.

7 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

My goodness.  What a bizarre coincidence.

A couple years ago we arrived in Greenwich for Into the Midnight Sun, thinking we had our absolutely favorite DV2 cabin.  We checked in at the pier there, and suddenly they tell us we were very fortunate to get upgraded to a PV1.  At first I was glad, and then we saw the cabin number.  It was that dreaded 6095.  Oh no I said.  We don't want that - we'll take what we had.  They immediately told us can't be done.  Someone else was upgraded into our great DV2 room.  We had all the issues you had.

I'm wondering if some of those 6th floor rear of the ship PV1 rooms are the last to sell so that they get used for DV to PV upgrades.

Also - with it happening on the dock, nothing we could do.

I'm thinking if you get upgraded a week or two ahead of time, at least there might be time to speak firmly with the Viking people.

I now worry all the time if we book a favorite PV room that we'll get upgraded to a bad  PS Jr Suite room, without having any choice.  They really should give you a choice to take it or not.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As somebody that has a comfortable amount of years ahead of them (God willing) and has spent a comfortable amount of money with Viking in the last 370 days (somewhere around 65-ish days of sailing; one on the docket), I have never been upgraded despite hearing thru the grapevine on my cruise that others were upgraded.

Edited by Mike07

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

As somebody that has a comfortable amount of years ahead of them (God willing) and has spent a comfortable amount of money with Viking in the last 370 days (somewhere around 65-ish days of sailing), I have never been upgraded despite hearing thru the grapevine on my cruise that others were upgraded.

Mike - it appears there is no rhyme or reason.  On our last cruise, when we met our cabin neighbors, they had been upgraded at the last minute and it was just their 2nd cruise.  In 18 Viking Ocean cruises and 200+ days of sailing, we've had that "bad" upgrade (6095).  So now I truly root for no upgrade - so don't feel too bad.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Mike - it appears there is no rhyme or reason.  On our last cruise, when we met our cabin neighbors, they had been upgraded at the last minute and it was just their 2nd cruise.  We've had that "bad" upgrade.  So now I truly root for no upgrade.

Completely agree. I'm not complaining, but merely making an observation. There is no rhyme or reason.

I'm not salty either. I paid the price I paid for the room I selected, and if I don't like my room or think I should have something "better", I should have paid more for it.

I know Don Terris (YTer) claims he has only been upgraded like twice, maybe three times, in his dozens or hundreds of cruises.... though he was upgraded on PCL in a group cruise he organized, and I can't blame PCL/Carnival for doing the hook-up if he's driving that much business to them.

Edited by Mike07
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

When I make a reservation in the exact cabin that I want, I tell them to place a "Do Not Upgrade" notice on my reservation.  I do not know if this has had any effect but I have never been upgraded against my will.

Edited by swong13
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, swong13 said:

When I make a reservation in the exact cabin that I want, I tell them to place a "Do Not Upgrade" notice on my reservation.  I do not know if this has had any effect but I have never been upgraded against my will.

well thank you.  An excellent idea.  I will talk with my Travel Agent and get that done.  Who knows.

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Mike - it appears there is no rhyme or reason.  On our last cruise, when we met our cabin neighbors, they had been upgraded at the last minute and it was just their 2nd cruise.  In 18 Viking Ocean cruises and 200+ days of sailing, we've had that "bad" upgrade (6095).  So now I truly root for no upgrade - so don't feel too bad.

Kent you have surpassed us in number of cruises ( If we only count WC as 1) but we still have more nights +300 and never an upgrade! Maybe they don't like our TA.  LOL...it can't be us! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I hope we are not involuntarily "upgraded" for our upcoming (October) Mediterranean cruise (first with Viking!), since I specifically selected a cabin lower down and midships (4053, IIRC), because I sometimes have issues with seasickness. Should be fine unless there is really terrible weather, but still, I would be very uncomfortable being moved up to deck 7 all the way at one end! 

However, it sounds like that is not all that likely, so I won't stress about it until it happens.

18 hours ago, swong13 said:

This is more commonly done, I believe, on the mass market lines, but it’s definitely wise for some of us on Viking.

7 hours ago, Squillo said:

I hope we are not involuntarily "upgraded" for our upcoming (October) Mediterranean cruise (first with Viking!), since I specifically selected a cabin lower down and midships (4053, IIRC), because I sometimes have issues with seasickness. Should be fine unless there is really terrible weather, but still, I would be very uncomfortable being moved up to deck 7 all the way at one end! 

However, it sounds like that is not all that likely, so I won't stress about it until it happens.

I agree the odds don’t favor it happening, but being proactive never hurts.

When we were upgraded my DH printed out the new cabin number and secured with clear packing tape.  Note there is a QR code that can be scanned for cabin number and guest name.

We made sure the QR code was covered.

Happy Cruising.

PS  Cruisers with multiple Viking Luggage Tags.  What do you do the the extra, extra tags?

As someone new to Viking Ocean, I hear about these "upgrades" and get really anxious.  I choose a cabin for reasons (usually want to be as mid-ship as possible because of motion issues) and I'd be pretty upset if I was told they gave my cabin to someone else.  Is there a way to tell them I don't want one of their non-upgrade upgrade cabins?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MMMCruiser said:

As someone new to Viking Ocean, I hear about these "upgrades" and get really anxious.  I choose a cabin for reasons (usually want to be as mid-ship as possible because of motion issues) and I'd be pretty upset if I was told they gave my cabin to someone else.  Is there a way to tell them I don't want one of their non-upgrade upgrade cabins?

See Post #39.