Rocking and Rolling (in a good way) on Silhouette with Rocker Captain Kirk and Celebrity President Laura Hodges Bethge

Posted (edited)

We are enjoying our last “sea day” and one of our Elite perks in the Persian Garden on board Silhouette docked in Nassau along with six other ships.😱

I thought I would post a few reflections and musings about our 4-night quickie sailing.

We had the pleasure of having a couple of very brief, yet delightful encounters with the President of Celebrity Cruises Laura Hodges Bethge while she was unexpectedly on board the last few days.

Fortunately DH and I refrained from instigating any intensive conversations or great debates about foot stools, gratuities, or Conundrum.  

So please do not ask why I did not ask her this or that.  

By the way if I had opted for Conundrum in Le Petit Chef last night I would have been subjected to the $2.40 upcharge since it is still priced at $19 per glass. 

I opted for the $17 Decoy instead.😉

Rewind to the awkward moment at Lawn Club Grill on Day 1 when DH spotted the President of Celebrity Cruises across the restaurant as she was passing through to say hello to someone.

I began batting my eyelashes and waving for Laura to come over to our table.  
She was very gracious and all smiles as we introduced ourselves and took advantage of a brief photo op.  

I know many of you have already had the pleasure of meeting her.  But for us it felt like kind of a big deal.

Last night the Master of the vessel took to the stage in the Celebrity Theater for one of his live performances.  He sang, played the guitar, and even jumped on the drums during one song.

We heard Knocking on Heaven’s Door, Sweet Home Alabama, Hey Jude, and Living on a Prayer among others.

He was on the drums for Summer of 69.

If you ever sail with Captain Kirk I strongly urge you to take in one or all of his performances while on board.

Laura enjoyed clapping and waving her hands from her front row seat during Captain Kirk’s set.  She seemed very excited to take the stage and present the captain with a large bouquet of flowers at the end of the show.  She genuinely seemed wowed by his talents.

Rocking Captain Kirk has been a thing since last fall and it has already been reported about on here previously, but I wanted to share a few of my favorable impressions of the cruise as well as a few of the hundreds of pics I snapped.

This morning Laura was given a great send off on the dock in Nassau by many officers including the captain as she disembarked the ship.

IMG_3750.thumb.jpeg.f6291c8fdf52405bad2a8a144192c57d.jpeg

IMG_3755.thumb.jpeg.c6d5e82151f0b42d7f4879672f168bb3.jpeg

IMG_3777.thumb.jpeg.fd4b0dd7d69d529a6d4936281dc028f9.jpeg

IMG_3794.thumb.jpeg.25c59d7931a82aa46aa4a4af5fe2a9b1.jpeg

IMG_3823.thumb.jpeg.bd5b93485264db682045eb238928f350.jpeg

IMG_3833.thumb.jpeg.16f7a153ecb887fba965506780a440c4.jpeg

IMG_3849.thumb.jpeg.9ed57f7c58b783b2f5ef691d74a823cf.jpeg

IMG_3919.thumb.jpeg.0fc39e4ab049500fdccbcf259085122b.jpeg

IMG_3941.thumb.jpeg.3b3dbd521d04839f45bde90ebabf0948.jpeg

IMG_3945.thumb.jpeg.92bb49ab672906b2bb922d1586b9f406.jpeg

IMG_3946.thumb.jpeg.10e87ad3397f80f76403aabcb33486c4.jpeg

IMG_3958.thumb.jpeg.05078ddf40e0423a150fa0a39f558a07.jpeg

IMG_3959.thumb.jpeg.3c504ca3f9493d6b6988c267e36067c0.jpeg

IMG_3832.thumb.jpeg.5b00f36668f01943386a673aca1c5970.jpeg

IMG_3962.thumb.jpeg.0b5949b5bae148c4fc460ca7966a8300.jpeg

IMG_3976.thumb.jpeg.da710b34e36dea27653d65cc78ff7c26.jpeg

IMG_3975.thumb.jpeg.dca7cfa7b7dfa797fc32d61175fc3bd2.jpeg

IMG_3968.thumb.jpeg.3bd99450d5909827c558eca374e5da6a.jpeg

IMG_3965.thumb.jpeg.274bf9421ad261ee1659fd1d282acbc2.jpeg

IMG_3966.jpeg

Edited by Stem to Stern
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, momto3sons said:

Thanks for sharing. We are looking forward to this itinerary on the 18th.

My pleasure.  
It has been a fun one.  

But aren’t they all?😂
There has been a lot of commotion on the ship but fortunately the Solstice class ships are so spacious there are plenty of places on board to get away from the crowds of people.

Plus sailing out of Port Everglades is so easy for us.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise and don’t forget to catch Captain Kirk on stage!😉

• Like 3

Thanks so much for sharing!  I certainly would not have instigated anything either, as it wasn’t the time or place.  Cruises should be enjoyed to the fullest, IMHO🐠.

• Like 3

Thanks so much for your review!  We sailed with Capt Kirk last year but weren’t fortunate enough to be entertained by his musical talents!  We really did enjoy his captain’s talk though.  LBH on a quickie cruise… nice.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’ll ask why you didn’t ask this or that.  Why the cheerleader post if you, yourself had some concerns?

If a President can’t be bothered to listen to some polite feedback and say “let me have my assistant look into it”, then I think we have a problem.

Edited by zitsky

Thank you for that wonderful review and the nice pictures. I had to read twice when I read that the Captain took the stage- never heard of Capt. Kirk. Silhouette being my favorite S- Class vessel- sailed her many times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Stem to Stern I’m taking my sweet mother on her first Celebrity cruise on this ship/itin in July!  Like you, Reflection remains one of my favorite ships. Can’t wait to show her off to DM. Thanks for sharing your experience. I thoroughly enjoyed your pics and hope Captain Kirk is still on board when we sail. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Thank you for that wonderful review and the nice pictures. I had to read twice when I read that the Captain took the stage- never heard of Capt. Kirk. Silhouette being my favorite S- Class vessel- sailed her many times.

My pleasure.😇 

It is my understanding that he is only on Silhouette temporarily.

My friend was on Reflection in December and said he was on board that ship then.

She said he was the best entertainment on the cruise.😂

@Georgia_Peaches Hopefully Captain Kirk will be back on Reflection for you and your mother.

I told my 81 year old mother to come on this sailing with us.

At the time of our booking she could have had a Prime Inside all to her herself for a steal.

She declined since it is hard for her to break out of her comfort zone.

I think you will make a wonderful memory or two with your mother on the cruise.

Edited by Stem to Stern
  • Like 1

I am going to be sailing on the Silhouette the end of May on a Scandinavian cruise.  Any chance that Captain Kirk will still be on the ship when she goes to Europe?

My mother would have loved to cruise with us, but that will always be a regret.  However, I am so happy for those of you that get to enjoy that wonderful experience together!  

• Like 1

We disembarked Silhouette this morning and are home.

DH filmed Captain Kirk’s performance.

He composed this video of the captain’s final cut of the evening followed by Laura’s reaction and her presentation of a floral bouquet to him.

Enjoy!😃

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2024 at 8:33 PM, buzz031 said:

We have had two great transatlantic sailings on the Silhouette (Fall 2022, Fall 2023)!

Thanks for sharing! 

You are most welcome.😃
This was our third sailing on her.

She is still beautiful and one of our favorite vessels.

I see we will be on the same Summit sailing embarking on my birthday next year.🥳

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 8:40 AM, jerrib said:

I am going to be sailing on the Silhouette the end of May on a Scandinavian cruise.  Any chance that Captain Kirk will still be on the ship when she goes to Europe?

I am not sure about his schedule.

If he is still on board for your sailing, enjoy the show!!🥳

2 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

I see we will be on the same Summit sailing embarking on my birthday next

Couldn’t pass on that deal!!

• Like 1