Just Back from Oasis - Ask me anything!

48 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

I've posted this on other Oasis related threads but will post again.

We sailed the Oasis last July to join our Daughter, Son-in law, two Granddaughters and another couple. Ship was filled to maximum capacity of 6800.

-Cabin stewards were overwhelmed and did the best they could under the conditions.

-Reservations for shows was not an option because everything was booked solid.

-Pool areas were always filled to maximum capacity. Impossible to find a seat.

-Windjammer was a nightmare. Wall to wall crowds. Windows and windowsills filthy with caked   on foods, and food that was mediocre at best.

-Food quality was not much better in the MDR and the $560 we spent for a family dinner to eat in   Chops was a joke.    

Our Diamond status is no longer an incentive to book RCI. 

Not good news for our Transatlantic in 2 weeks, but I know 2000 children won't be onboard!

I'll update after our TA! Were you able to get free coffee at the coffee shop when the Diamond Lounge was full? We're Diamond Plus!

5 minutes ago, IsanTom said:

Not good news for our Transatlantic in 2 weeks, but I know 2000 children won't be onboard!

I'll update after our TA! Were you able to get free coffee at the coffee shop when the Diamond Lounge was full? We're Diamond Plus!

The crew is very-much looking forward to getting to Europe! I heard from a dozen or so that are energized about the new scenery. 

We're not big coffee drinkers, but on our sailing we were able to get into the Crown Lounge any time we wanted, and they never appeared to be out of anything. In fact, some of our best food the entire week was in the Crown Lounge. Try the Buffalo Wings and Onion Rings!!

2 minutes ago, chodnett said:

The crew is very-much looking forward to getting to Europe! I heard from a dozen or so that are energized about the new scenery. 

We're not big coffee drinkers, but on our sailing we were able to get into the Crown Lounge any time we wanted, and they never appeared to be out of anything. In fact, some of our best food the entire week was in the Crown Lounge. Try the Buffalo Wings and Onion Rings!!

Excellent Thank You!

3 hours ago, Sianli said:

Did you try the BBQ venue? Do they have different sauces? 

I have seen some reviews and the BBQ has great reviews. You must pay though!

5 hours ago, Sianli said:

Did you try the BBQ venue? Do they have different sauces? 

We did eat at Portside BBQ!

For context, we're from Atlanta, and spend a ton of time in Eastern NC and Dallas, so good BBQ means something different to me.

I will say that for cruise BBQ, it's pretty good. My biggest complaint is that when they opened in 2019, they had a few varieties of sauces, and had the sauces on the table. Now, they only offer one sauce, and they give it to you in a small soufflé cup.

The Mac and Cheese is legit good! The fries are the same fries you can get in the Windjammer. The Brookie is super rich. The baked beans are served very watery. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2024 at 4:57 PM, IsanTom said:

If you are on the many groups for the TA you’ll know there are hundreds of kids on for the crossing though! 

@chodnett was the c&a drink

allowance limit $13 or $14? 

Edited by little britain

5 minutes ago, little britain said:

If you are on the many groups for the TA you’ll know there are hundreds of kids on for the crossing though! 

$14, and the bartenders didn't seem to have any issues with special requests for certain spirits.

1 minute ago, chodnett said:

$14, and the bartenders didn't seem to have any issues with special requests for certain spirits.

Thanks! 🙏

Doing the Happy Dance 💃… menus in the app show Whispering Angel at $14 a glass! That’s my drinking sorted! 

31 minutes ago, little britain said:

I've never encountered many children on TA's and we take two a year, for the past ten years!

We always travel to/from Thailand on TA's. Reduces flights to 10 hours rather than 25-30 from Tampa.

26 minutes ago, IsanTom said:

I've never encountered many children on TA's and we take two a year, for the past ten years!

We always travel to/from Thailand on TA's. Reduces flights to 10 hours rather than 25-30 from Tampa.

Neither have I. No idea why there are going to be so many on this one 😦 

2 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

People are taking the kiddies out of school on a regular basis nowadays.  I don’t think there are any times that can be considered kid free.

We see maybe a couple dozen but not many. Now on a Med Cruise, the Italians will take all their kids anytime of year!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IsanTom said:

We see maybe a couple dozen but not many. Now on a Med Cruise, the Italians will take all their kids anytime of year!

We Italians are all about family. If school fits into the plans then great. If school doesn't fit into the plans then there will be a lot of empty desks.😁

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

We Italians are all about family. If school fits into the plans then great. If school doesn't fit into the plans then there will be a lot of empty desks.😁

My wife and I LOVE Italy and we always spend time exploring different cities coming and going from Thailand. Last year, we visited Trento, Venice, Rome and Barcelona. This year will be

Milan for three nights. Next year, Naples, Rome, Santa Marinella, Florence, and Venice with

some friends. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TheBandit said:

Anything? Ok, here we go:

What… is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Around 20 MPH. I see you follow Justin Danger on Instagram. 😉

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

YES WE ARE!!!! Thanks for posting this reply!!!!🥰

• Like 1

23 hours ago, chodnett said:

Around 20 MPH. I see you follow Justin Danger on Instagram. 😉

Actually I was referring to this scene of the cult-classic Monty Python film 😄😄

• Haha 1

On 4/8/2024 at 6:09 AM, chodnett said:

Our stateroom attendant was unusually rude. On debarkation day at 7:45 am, he knocked on our door and told us to hurry up and check out because he was coming in at 8 am to start cleaning whether we left or not. Yikes.

I've never encountered a rude cabin steward, but -- if I'd had this experience -- I'd go to Guest Services, make a complaint about him specifically, and I'd pull his tips.  I'd wait in that last-day line to make it happen.  I'd write a letter using his name once I was back home.  No excuse for that.  

On 4/8/2024 at 9:17 AM, chodnett said:

We contributed 3 to the 2,000+! Ha! But seriously, we never had an issue finding chairs on sea days.

This used to be my #1 complaint about cruising, but the ships seem to be working to fix the Chair Hog problem.  I really appreciate it.  

On 4/9/2024 at 6:27 AM, chodnett said:

As for the cabin attendant, to be honest, he had a negative vibe from the start. We filled out the form in advance asking for a pack-n-play, and for the pullman bed to be setup. It was not ready when we arrived, and I offered a reminder when I first met him. He didn't follow-through on the first night, and he seemed agitated when I reminded him on Day 2. 

So you had some hints about his 'tude before that last day.  Not okay.  

On 4/9/2024 at 6:27 AM, chodnett said:

On a related note, the stateroom service has become my biggest frustration with Royal Caribbean. I understand cost-cutting and the impact of sourcing good labor, but just two years ago, we were all receiving two stateroom services per day. Then a year ago it went down to one, but it was up to me when I would receive it (morning or evening). 

Yes, I'm not willing to "let this one go" either.  What you didn't say -- and we can't let slide -- is that they raised the cost of service while reducing the amount of service.  

On 4/9/2024 at 8:05 AM, Loracpin2 said:

We sailed the Oasis last July

I see the problem.  You sailed in July.  Summer has always been too hot, too crowded and too expensive for my tastes.  

On 4/10/2024 at 6:58 PM, little britain said:

Neither have I. No idea why there are going to be so many on this one 😦 

We had 500+ kids on the TA last year - people just don't care about their kids anymore and just take them out of school whenever they feel like it....

Before COVID all the TA's used to have 20-50 kids max!

• Like 1

I will report back in 2 weeks about how many kids are on our TA. We have taken 2 TA's every year for the past 15 years and I have not seen many children on our TA's. We always cruise during late Fall and early Spring. Also, if we see a cruise with kids free, we won't book!

• Like 1

How is the adult game shows and Karaoke?  What venues are they doing these activities. Just got off Allure. Most were done in On Air. So crowded you could not get in as it is so small.