Regent orders 2 new ships - deliveries in 2026 and 2029.

I'm very surprised Regent isn't entering the luxury expedition market.  It seems like that is what a slightly younger, wealthy demographic wants.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jjs217 said:

I'm very surprised Regent isn't entering the luxury expedition market.  It seems like that is what a slightly younger, wealthy demographic wants.

Too crowded already, also requires getting an experienced expedition team, right ship design (most are PC6 so all can go exactly the same places) to be able to offer something novel (See Ponant Charcot a truly advanced PC2 ship that offers unique itineraries and I've been on it, but has it's issues). I think Regent is wise to avoid that market so many ships going to Antarctica and once people have been there once how many want to spent $2000 or more per diem to return.  

9 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Too crowded already, also requires getting an experienced expedition team, right ship design (most are PC6 so all can go exactly the same places) to be able to offer something novel (See Ponant Charcot a truly advanced PC2 ship that offers unique itineraries and I've been on it, but has it's issues). I think Regent is wise to avoid that market so many ships going to Antarctica and once people have been there once how many want to spent $2000 or more per diem to return.  

My husband and I have been to Antarctica twice and would definitely consider going again.  We love it.  Both times we have been on a Seabourn Expedition cruise and would like to try another line. Since we also really like Regent we thought it would be a nice way to go again - something different.  I know we can try Silversea, and no, we don't want to do a drive-by.

9 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Also, you can do expedition cruising anywhere in the world - not just Antarctica.  I would do an expedition in the Med and instead of trudging around a city I have been to several times, they could offer something a little more wild and wooly - from snorkeling, to scuba to kayaking, etc.  This is all moot of course as Regent does not have an expedition ship on order.

• Like 1

There are many places other than Antarctica that benefit and require the use of an expedition ship.

I think Regent is missing out on a huge opportunity to attract a "younger" demographic, such as those pictured in all of their advertising but in actuality are as a rare as a unicorn. I know among my friends who now have the time and money to travel, they are spending their dollars with other high end luxury cruise companies that offer itineraries and excursions/activities more suited to their lifestyle. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 3:22 AM, mrlevin said:

Two new ships will be hybrid so they can go into Norwegian fjords and other protected waters.  Voyager will be gone in 2026. 

Source of this statement regarding Voyager?

2 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

If it is a comment from a friend who works at Regent, he won't quote the source. None of us want to get friends into trouble.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

As I stated earlier, this is purely conjecture based on my time onboard, my observations, and comments I have heard over the years from both crew and fellow passengers.  We sailed Voyager a number of times including twice in its maiden year.  I have definite opinions regarding the three older ships based upon my time aboard. 

I was just looking at a Voyager Feb 2026 cruise.  Perhaps I should wait?  I don't want to book a cruise only to have the ship pulled out from under me.

1 hour ago, jjs217 said:

I was just looking at a Voyager Feb 2026 cruise.  Perhaps I should wait?  I don't want to book a cruise only to have the ship pulled out from under me.

They have the Voyager slated for the Indan Ocean Grand Voyage starting in Feb 2026. I can't imagine they'll abandon those passengers. Nothing is scheduled after the Apr arrival in Rome, though.

There's also nothing for almost a month from Nov 22 '25 to Dec 22 '25. Word on this board is there's a dry dock scheduled for Voyager at that time. I hope this is true, since we've got a Jan '26 booking on her and are looking forward to a refreshed ship.

As I indicated previously, this sod ulstion isn’t helpful!

It strikes me that Regent are not going to completely refit a ship - then sell it! That is just a waste of time & effort and not very shrewd business sense unless the new owner is paying for it (On that basis, the published cruises should be honoured in my view.

1 hour ago, Pies4u said:

As I indicated previously, this sod ulstion isn’t helpful!

It strikes me that Regent are not going to completely refit a ship - then sell it! That is just a waste of time & effort and not very shrewd business sense unless the new owner is paying for it (On that basis, the published cruises should be honoured in my view.

Correct and correct. I think, if any goes, it will be Navigator and they will reuse the name for a new ship. We will know for sure when the rest of 2026 cruises are announced.

17 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Correct and correct. I think, if any goes, it will be Navigator and they will reuse the name for a new ship. We will know for sure when the rest of 2026 cruises are announced.

Many of us will miss the smaller guest count that Navigator has. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

Many of us will miss the smaller guest count that Navigator has. 

I will be the top of that list....losing Navigator and losing the Pool Deck for dinner is a huge blow.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, mrlevin said:

As I stated earlier, this is purely conjecture based on my time onboard, my observations, and comments I have heard over the years from both crew and fellow passengers.  We sailed Voyager a number of times including twice in its maiden year.  I have definite opinions regarding the three older ships based upon my time aboard. 

I normally respect your opinion and thoughts, but next time a better sentence maybe-  I hope, I think, I believe, I’m guessing that the voyager will be gone in 2026.   Your statement only generated some panic, instead of the discussion you were looking for.  

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

I normally respect your opinion and thoughts, but next time a better sentence maybe-  I hope, I think, I believe, I’m guessing that the voyager will be gone in 2026.   Your statement only generated some panic, instead of the discussion you were looking for.  

I agree. It is far better not to speculate than to have to constantly explain the context of your speculation; I will stop speculating. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2024 at 2:03 PM, Pcardad said:

Does anyone have a feel for when the rest of the 2026 schedules will be released? THX!

On 4/11/2024 at 4:39 AM, Gator73 said:

NCLH (the holding company of Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania & Regent) announced EIGHT new ships, four of which are going to Norwegian, two of which are going to Oceania, and two of which are going to Regent.  The two ships going to Regent are detailed in other contributions to this thread, but they are 38% heavier in tonnage & will carry 14% more passengers. 

The "hybrid" character reported for these two Regent ships may mean that the 38% "weight gain" is not just SIZE-related.  I'd suspect that weight gain is apportioned between a) supplemental alternative propulsion characteristics (e.g., perhaps, engines to burn ultra-clean LNG for transiting sensitive areas . . . maybe even augmented by batteries (which are VERY heavy) added atop the standard bunker fuel & low-sulfur diesel engines) and b) additional space onboard to accommodate 100 additional passengers.  

Please note that "tonnage" in ships is actually a measure of  internal VOLUME, not weight. 100 cubic feet equals 1 ton.

• Like 1