Stockperks App Not Needed for OBC

There has been plenty of confusion and concern over downloading the Stockperks app to obtain OBC for owners of CCL stock.  There is NO NEED to download the app to obtain the credit.  I was just able to successfully obtain my OBC for my upcoming Sun cruise in August, and it was very simple and took about 4 days. So, I thought I'd share the process with you all.  Here is what I did -

Email carnivalcorp@stockperks.com with the email subject "Shareholder Benefit OBC".  Let them know that you were referred to them by sbpcl@princesscruises.com and that you are aware of the Stockperks app, and that you WILL NOT, under any circumstance, be downloading and using it due to ID Theft concerns, and that you need to have the OBC issued via the alternative method.  Include in the body of your email your name, booking #, sail date, your address, phone, and email (even though this is all redundant with the following attachment form). 

Include a completed pdf attachment from  https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/contact-us/shareholder-request-form.pdf with your details

Include a pdf attachment of your brokerage statement page that shows your name and quantity of CCL shares owned.  Black out your account number on this pdf.  

After sending the above email, I got an auto-reply that Stockperks will process it within 5 business days and let me know if there are any issues.  About 3 days later I received another email from Stockperks that my OBC was approved and applied to my folio.  I then logged into Princess and checked my booking folio and confirmed that the OBC was indeed there in my folio, and it was. I hope this mini-guide helps.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

I didn't need to bother with the stockperks email. I simply completed the pdf shareholder request form via the link above

I got my OBC confirmation the day after I submitted the form via email. This was last week btw.

For USA and Canada the email address is sbpcl@princesscruises.com. For the UK it's benefits@princesscruises.co.uk

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

That's just way too much work. 

Stockperks app it takes 30 seconds to apply and a day for the OBC to appear. 

Agree. This is helpful info for those who are not comfortable using the app, but much harder. We blacked out personal info when submitting our original docs on the app, and found the process much easier than the old way.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Esprit said:

I didn't need to bother with the stockperks email. I simply completed the pdf shareholder request form via the link above

I got my OBC confirmation the day after I submitted the form via email. This was last week btw.

For USA and Canada the email address is sbpcl@princesscruises.com.

tried that, doesn't work.  hence "referred to them by sbpcl@princesscruises.com".  In the USA, they (sbpcl@princesscruises.com) just refer you to the stockperks email carnivalcorp@stockperks.com, in addition to telling you how safe and secure the app is.   Just trying to eliminate that step to make the process a bit shorter.  

Edited by silverridge
  • Thanks 1

to be honest its totally valid for people not to want to sign up for another app to give all their info to just to be sold to another 3rd party. We as users should not condone companies to keep selling our data like this. Its just simply wrong and all of us should push back on it.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, shakuyi said:

to be honest its totally valid for people not to want to sign up for another app to give all their info to just to be sold to another 3rd party. We as users should not condone companies to keep selling our data like this. Its just simply wrong and all of us should push back on it.

That's what i thought as well.  Some other posted "It's way too much work" than the app.  Really?  So, emailing two docs instead of downloading the app, in which you agree to all of the apps intrusive terms,  and then uploading those same docs is "much easier"?  And then you get that app track you and get all of your data to sell to the highest bidder, even if you uninstall it at a later date.  Don't think so.  And if you were ever a victim of a serious ID Theft, like me,  you wouldn't use any app if you had an easy workaround.  

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sunviking90 said:

Agree. This is helpful info for those who are not comfortable using the app, but much harder. We blacked out personal info when submitting our original docs on the app, and found the process much easier than the old way.

Yup.  You can work around using the app.  BUT. . . Princess then sends your data to StockPerks.

The concern about SockPerks selling your data in not valid.  All StockPerks gets is your name, address and a booking number.  If they sold stuff Carnival.would stop using them.

I simply sent a copy of the trade where I bought 100 shares.  Your broker will also send you a letter says as of X date you owned 100 shares of CCL stock.  Send a picture as an attachment.

Want to be concerned about an app and getting garbage or the app hacked?  Try Princess or Celebrity or . . .  You don't send StockPerks anything worth selling.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

1 minute ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

All StockPerks gets is your name, address

thats the issue right there, the fact that you think its ok to give a 3rd party this info says a lot already. You may not think its not a lot but its too much.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, shakuyi said:

thats the issue right there, the fact that you think its ok to give a 3rd party this info says a lot already. You may not think its not a lot but its too much.

We blocked out our address too, and it was accepted. Stockperks is managing the OBC regardless of how you send it to them.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 2

Just now, sunviking90 said:

We blocked out our address too, and it was accepted.

All StockPerks requires is your booking number (it has your name), but the broker statement obviously needs something to show who owns the shares.

Much ado about nothing IMO. 

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see whether the security concerns some have about the Stockperks App (which, in my view, are misplaced) outweigh their desire to receive the OBC when, as I'm sure will happen sooner rather than later, the option to use a workaround is removed and the App becomes the only method to apply for / receive OBC.

I don't know what it's like in the US, but in the UK many things in day-to-day life can now only be done by App.  Opting out of using the App means opting out of receiving the service / benefit.  

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

All StockPerks gets is your name, address

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:
1 hour ago, shakuyi said:

You don't think your name and address are readily available whether or not you use this app?

Have you googled yourself?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

You don't think your name and address are readily available whether or not you use this app?

Have you googled yourself?

of course, the only prevention is to limit the amount of places that get that info.

22 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

It will be interesting to see whether the security concerns some have about the Stockperks App (which, in my view, are misplaced) outweigh their desire to receive the OBC when, as I'm sure will happen sooner rather than later, the option to use a workaround is removed and the App becomes the only method to apply for / receive OBC.

i mean no point in just owning the stock if not using the OBC. The main issue is that majority of people NEVER push back on these things. If enough people pushed back in teh beginning you know what would happen? Carnival corp would build something in house instead of contracting out the work. Wouldnt that be better? That would only happen if people by default push back instead of accepting because they feel they have no choice. If they dont get enough push back during trial and implementation they assume all is good. Hell Carnival couldve just partnered up with the leading stock brokers and setup a portal for validation in the same place you get your account statement. But without push back they went the cheapest way possible that involves selling your data. StockPerks is getting something out of this and its either money from CCL (which is a joke because they wont pay per user) or your data. They are not doing this for free. Its not like CCL cant share data to them via just the booking number. The booking number in CCL system has lots of data. 

Edited by shakuyi
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Stockperks is managing the OBC regardless of how you send it to them.

Yes, and you can do nothing about that data that they get - the booking number, name, etc.  That is not the data I am worried about.  When you have an app on your smartphone, any app at all, you are the product.  That app is harvesting analytical data about you - your location, how long your are there, what email servers you use, who your contacts are, what pictures you take, what you buy, what other apps you use, all sorts of stuff that is none of their business.  They then sell that data to the highest bidder, people that use it for marketing, insurance purposes, investigations, etc.  You agree to these terms, many of them hidden in legalese,  when you download the app.  Many of them claim not to do this, but how many times has Zuckberg or Google been exposed for the same, even when they said they are not!  Best to avoid any app unless absolutely necessary IMO.

• Like 2

Stockperks app will NOT accept embarkation day. 

Email requesting me to confirm via app. 

Still trying

Why aren't these apps quality tested

5 hours ago, shakuyi said:

of course, the only prevention is to limit the amount of places that get that info.

i mean no point in just owning the stock if not using the OBC. The main issue is that majority of people NEVER push back on these things. If enough people pushed back in teh beginning you know what would happen? Carnival corp would build something in house instead of contracting out the work. Wouldnt that be better? That would only happen if people by default push back instead of accepting because they feel they have no choice. If they dont get enough push back during trial and implementation they assume all is good. Hell Carnival couldve just partnered up with the leading stock brokers and setup a portal for validation in the same place you get your account statement. But without push back they went the cheapest way possible that involves selling your data. StockPerks is getting something out of this and its either money from CCL (which is a joke because they wont pay per user) or your data. They are not doing this for free. Its not like CCL cant share data to them via just the booking number. The booking number in CCL system has lots of data. 

Feel free to push back on StockPerks.   If I was on the CCL BOD and there was a ruckus about the shareholder benefit; I would vote to solve the problem the easy way.  Delete the benefit.

FWIW, I downloaded the app.  Sent the required info and deleted the app.  My confirmations of receipt and acceptance were received via email.

Seems like much ado about nothing.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 1:12 PM, johnk24 said:

Yes, and you can do nothing about that data that they get - the booking number, name, etc.  That is not the data I am worried about.  When you have an app on your smartphone, any app at all, you are the product.  That app is harvesting analytical data about you - your location, how long your are there, what email servers you use, who your contacts are, what pictures you take, what you buy, what other apps you use, all sorts of stuff that is none of their business.  They then sell that data to the highest bidder, people that use it for marketing, insurance purposes, investigations, etc.  You agree to these terms, many of them hidden in legalese,  when you download the app.  Many of them claim not to do this, but how many times has Zuckberg or Google been exposed for the same, even when they said they are not!  Best to avoid any app unless absolutely necessary IMO.

To address some of your concerns, could u just delete the app after you get your OBC, then reload it the next time u need to request OBC again, then delete again..Just wondering. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 6:04 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Seems like much ado about nothing.

Unless you do not have a smart phone. (Yes, some people who cruise do not own one.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alaska05 said:

To address some of your concerns, could u just delete the app after you get your OBC, then reload it the next time u need to request OBC again, then delete again..Just wondering. 

I suppose if they eventually make me use the app and not the alternative method as listed above, that is what I'll likely do.  But, for now the alternative method is easy enough, and it's just like the previous method before Stockperks.  I read somewhere on another thread that Stockperks was working on a website form to submit for the OBC.  If true, that would be great as well.  

On a related note, does anyone have more info on the current status of the plan, by Stockperks, to implement a Web-based version of their "app"? This was mentioned  here on CC a few times in recent months.  That would obviate the need to use a cellphone as a PC and would presumably make the process of using the system somewhat easier by allowing the use of a desktop machine. I would certainly prefer that option, though I, too, haven't had any issues with the Android version of the app.

On 4/9/2024 at 11:47 AM, johnk24 said:

That's what i thought as well.  Some other posted "It's way too much work" than the app.  Really?  So, emailing two docs instead of downloading the app, in which you agree to all of the apps intrusive terms,  and then uploading those same docs is "much easier"?  And then you get that app track you and get all of your data to sell to the highest bidder, even if you uninstall it at a later date.  Don't think so.  And if you were ever a victim of a serious ID Theft, like me,  you wouldn't use any app if you had an easy workaround.  

They get the exact same information from me whether I submit using the app or by email. I don’t see big difference.

10 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

They get the exact same information from me whether I submit using the app or by email. I don’t see big difference.

Then you obviously didn't see my other post (#15 of this thread).  If you don't care about that, or don't agree with it, then by all means....use the app.  You do what works for you.

44 minutes ago, johnk24 said:

Then you obviously didn't see my other post (#15 of this thread).  If you don't care about that, or don't agree with it, then by all means....use the app.  You do what works for you.

You’re right, I don’t see any great risk from downloading the Stockperks app for the 5 minutes it takes to upload a screenshot of a statement.