Add-on Packages

babs135

51 minutes ago, NE John said:

One calling himself a “rower” as a Britannia pax -  that’s actually pretty funny. 

Perhaps Sir Steve Redgrave or Sir Matthew Pinsent? 🙂

On second thoughts, more likely to be Grills.

We ended up sailing in Britannia Club and found it suited us perfectly.

However we originally made our first two bookings that were cancelled due to the pandemic in obstructed view Britannia cabins, but when the third was made the least obstructed views were not available and we had so much future cruise credit it more than covered the higher grade.

We were only really aware that the folk we saw around us in the restaurant had also booked Britannia Club, and that a few others that we saw in or going to sittings at main Britannia Restaurant must have booked Britannia.

I wasn't aware of anyone we spoke to, sat beside in other venues, or danced beside, that was travelling in Grills, but some of them must have been. They can't all have quarantined themselves in Grills restaurants or lounges.

We also used grills cabin corridors a few times to move around the ship. I understand that isn't permitted in the premium sections of some cruise lines. In fact we've travelled on a car ferry where entry to the corridor our cabin was in was restricted to card holders from that section.

Bottom line; other than priority boarding by grade (which happens on budget airlines), we did not experience any sense of them and us on board.

We're not bothered what packages are offered. If they are available and they suit us, we'll buy them. Otherwise we'll pay for things as we use them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, D&N said:

We ended up sailing in Britannia Club and found it suited us perfectly.

However we originally made our first two bookings that were cancelled due to the pandemic in obstructed view Britannia cabins, but when the third was made the least obstructed views were not available and we had so much future cruise credit it more than covered the higher grade.

We were only really aware that the folk we saw around us in the restaurant had also booked Britannia Club, and that a few others that we saw in or going to sittings at main Britannia Restaurant must have booked Britannia.

I wasn't aware of anyone we spoke to, sat beside in other venues, or danced beside, that was travelling in Grills, but some of them must have been. They can't all have quarantined themselves in Grills restaurants or lounges.

We also used grills cabin corridors a few times to move around the ship. I understand that isn't permitted in the premium sections of some cruise lines. In fact we've travelled on a car ferry where entry to the corridor our cabin was in was restricted to card holders from that section.

Bottom line; other than priority boarding by grade (which happens on budget airlines), we did not experience any sense of them and us on board.

We're not bothered what packages are offered. If they are available and they suit us, we'll buy them. Otherwise we'll pay for things as we use them.

MY first booking was BC - and was cancelled due to pandemic...then I gradually upgraded on rebooking to QG. I think PG would have been more than enough on QM2 and likely will try BC in the future (though not when it costs almost as much as BC as it can do at times). I like that the ship is fully mixed apart from restaurants. I preferred afternoon tea in the Queens Room rather than in the sterile and somewhat dull Grills Lounge.

As for original point - packages as described will mean a higher initial cost; you rarely get something for nothing in this world. As you, quite happy to pay for stuff when needed

• Like 3

On 4/17/2024 at 9:24 AM, TowandaUK said:

Sadly I can see where Daisy is coming from. I have seen posts here which refer to Britannia guests as riff raff in steerage. I suspect that it was a dubious attempt at humour, but it doesn’t feel like that when you are one of the aforementioned riff raff. The people on these boards are very helpful and generous towards us new to Cunard. However I do get the impression that a very few posters do have a high-low mindset. I choose to ignore posts like that. 

Let me reassure you [I think you're a Cunard first timer] any pomposity shown in print does not exist onboard and as one who has  probably been thought of as having riff raffish tendencies  by one or two with my thoughts on the tweaking of the traditional Cunard for the 2020's, I don't ignore those posts, I laugh at them. 😀

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Let me reassure you [I think you're a Cunard first timer] any pomposity shown in print does not exist onboard and as one who has  probably been thought of as having riff raffish tendencies  by one or two with my thoughts on the tweaking of the traditional Cunard for the 2020's, I don't ignore those posts, I laugh at them. 😀

Exactly. have just been on one voyage so far (65 days to my next) there is no sense of elitism/pomposity on board; no one wears a badge giving their status. I don't think anyone really cares?

• Like 2

On 4/17/2024 at 8:27 PM, Catchum said:

I agree, except on a Cunard cruise the price for just the drinks is between $95 and $55 per person per day. Add the gratuities of $16.50 or $14.50 a day and cost per day for a two week cruise is minimum of $86.50 per day. That is a significant amount more than Princess where you additionally get unlimited wifi with the package no matter what your status. When considering a cruise the total cost of the trip is a huge factor for us, given we have unlimited vacation time and limited income the less we spend per trip the more we can travel.

The price of a cabin on those two lines is comparable, in my very limited experience. The experience of food and beverage on board is totally different in terms of quality. If you want to pay a Princess price, you'll get a Princess experience, which suits some people wonderfully but it does not equate to a Cunard experience.

In my opinion and experience.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

there is no sense of elitism/pomposity on board; no one wears a badge giving their status

Unlike some other cruise lines where some passengers like to show that they are in the top tier of that cruise line's loyalty scheme.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, david63 said:

Unlike some other cruise lines where some passengers like to show that they are in the top tier of that cruise line's loyalty scheme.

Though I think on some other cruise lines, passengers get much more generous benefits for being in the top tier. This probably wouldn’t work on Cunard, as it would involve such a large proportion of the passengers.

But out of interest how do these sad people demonstrate their high tier?

5 minutes ago, david63 said:

I suppose wearing a loyalty pin on Cunard shows level of CWC status but that's not showing off as such, more pride I would have thought although mine are strung up for the Christmas Tree so I'd fail that one!  😄

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

But out of interest how do these sad people demonstrate their high tier?

Princess is the obvious one with black medallions on a lanyard around the neck!

3 minutes ago, david63 said:

A different colour from normal people?  I gather there is no actual need to wear the gruesome sounding medallion round your neck at all. It can go in a bag or pocket?

5 minutes ago, david63 said:

I'd assumed that there was some sort of lanyard

As I've said I have only done one Cunard so far (and no one else unless you count the 2 hour ferry ride from Helsinki to Tallinn - those ferries are as big as some cruise ships). I was happily surprised that there really was no class thing on QM2 - maybe it helped as I was in QG but the only distinction round the ship was where you ate. And nice to be at the front of the queue for disembarkation in NYC

QA may be a touch different (65 days away and counting) as there is a decent Grills deck area

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

A different colour from normal people?

Each tier of Captains Circle has a different colour.

32 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I gather there is no actual need to wear the gruesome sounding medallion round your neck at all. It can go in a bag or pocket?

Correct - you do not have to wear it around your neck, other options are available.

It is not "gruesome" it is actually a very efficient system, despite what some may say.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, david63 said:

Each tier of Captains Circle has a different colour.

Correct - you do not have to wear it around your neck, other options are available.

It is not "gruesome" it is actually a very efficient system, despite what some may say.

I think  the ability to flaunt your status must be significantly reduced if lesser passengers have to remember the different colours. 😀 I am the top level on Cunard, but can never  remember whether it is diamond or plat.

Not a desirable system if it automatically unlocks my cabin door as I approach. For a woman, at any rate, that is terrifying.

Edited by exlondoner