Cruising on Princess ship to visit a plantation

beshears

It has been years since I have enjoyed visiting a plantation. If you have visited a plantation within the past couple years on one of Princess ships, what was the name of the ship, and what port was it in?

That's a really broad spectrum.  

Oahu, Hawaii - Hawaii Plantation Village (not a working plantation/more of a museum).

http://www.hawaiiplantationvillage.org

On my bucket list was Williamsburg.  I was slightly disappointed since I was hoping it was more of a "working" plantation with "real life" exhibits.

What type of plantation are you interested in?  The ones I visited are accessible by car not along a shoreline.

50 minutes ago, beshears said:

It has been years since I have enjoyed visiting a plantation. If you have visited a plantation within the past couple years on one of Princess ships, what was the name of the ship, and what port was it in?

What sort of plantations are you looking for?

Chocolate plantation, working good plantation, old slave plantations, plantations turned botanical gardens, what?

Help us help you - your question is remarkably broad..

You can visit Morne Coubaril, Fond Doux - working plantation , hotel, and grows cocao for Hershey, Diamond Botanical Gardens, a former plantation of Empress Josephine, and then French troop rehabilitation), or Rabot plantation (grows coxao for Hotel Chocolat in St Lucia.  

Many others around the Caribbean, and a few in Hawaii...

• Like 1

It's unclear what you are looking to visit.

I have seen coffee plantations in Costa Rica, watched demos on how the beans are picked, watched the actual process of the separation, roasting processes.

The OP posted almost identically to the Holland America and Carnival boards. The motivation to do such is uncertain, but may have to do with the 21st century connotations of the word "plantation", which are negative. I could be wrong. But I would take care.

7 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

The OP posted almost identically to the Holland America and Carnival boards. The motivation to do such is uncertain, but may have to do with the 21st century connotations of the word "plantation", which are negative. I could be wrong. But I would take care.

Yes, this is where my mind went at that particular word. It wasn’t a positive connotation for sure, but uncertain exactly what they mean.

OP: Please take two seconds to type in an adjective to remove the obvious ambiguity. (Sugar. Tobacco. Coffee. Banana. Cacao.  Whatever.)  The fact that you have posted the same question on 6 Boards and in all 6 the question has been raised but not answered leaves people with obvious uncertainty regarding the sincerity of the question.  The concept of visiting a 17th-19th century mansion as a "tourist attraction" where slave labor benefitted the owners of the Big House through the creation of unimaginable wealth is a very touchy subject.  Visiting a modern day, working banana plantation is not.  The addition of a single word to your request can make a world of difference.       

• Thanks 2

Yes I will admit, I did post this question under "DIFFERENT cruise areas", as I didn't realize "ALL" of you would be seeing these similar questions. As for what type of plantation, I"m sorry, but I really cannot answer as it has been 22 years ago, and we were on a tram going around the plantation, There was production going on at that time, but I don't remember what kind. This sort of lets you ALL know, I'm NOT as young as you all, in the type of WORDS you might want me to come up with.

30 minutes ago, beshears said:

Yes I will admit, I did post this question under "DIFFERENT cruise areas", as I didn't realize "ALL" of you would be seeing these similar questions. As for what type of plantation, I"m sorry, but I really cannot answer as it has been 22 years ago, and we were on a tram going around the plantation, There was production going on at that time, but I don't remember what kind. This sort of lets you ALL know, I'm NOT as young as you all, in the type of WORDS you might want me to come up with.

I wish, your attempt to clarify, you would give us a little more to work with.  Dole Plantation on Oahu has a tram.  Maybe letting us know which region of the world? Or even temperate zone might narrow down suggestions.  You say you don’t recall what product was grown.  

Exactly what are you wanting to know?  I am afraid that a tour 22 years ago may not be available now and/or production technology may be so different that it may be unrecognizable.

Good luck.  There’s a one in a million chance that another passenger on “your” itinerary/tour will recall which plantation.  

• Thanks 1

Cr8tiv1, yes you may be right. There may not be any plantations to visit like I did 22 years ago. I'm sure we could go to Hawaii, but we were just thinking of Jamaica at this time, and there may not be any.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 9:58 PM, beshears said:

You could tour the old sugar plantations in St Kitts by train..

On 4/13/2024 at 12:46 AM, beshears said:

For goodness sake!  How difficult is it to say: “I am thinking about taking a cruise that includes a port stop in Jamaica. Are there any working plantations that are worth visiting while we are there?”  

• Like 2

For those that have been posting and trying to help, it was appreciated. My son and I have discussed this further, and we plan to go another direction. Once again, thank you to those that tried to help.